PDA

View Full Version : Rank all pets granted via abilities

Safon
06-21-2010, 09:27 PM
Im curious how the mage, shadowknight, shaman, enchanter and necromancer pets stack up in comparison. Not including charmed mobs.

pickled_heretic
06-21-2010, 09:28 PM
I have my own opinions but I feel as though it is best we just get raw data to tell us the answer.

Qaedain
06-21-2010, 09:35 PM
1. Mage
2. Necro
3. Shaman?
4. Enchanter
5. SK

I believe that's right. I'm sketchy on the Shaman's spot, but the rest I'm pretty confident on.

gprater
06-21-2010, 09:51 PM
From my level 15 point of view, it seems that the enchanter animation has a ton of hit points or high Defense...they seem to last a really long time in combat...much more so that on live.

pickled_heretic
06-21-2010, 09:54 PM
I'd rate enchanter animations pretty high. In a soloing environment they are very strong, with good durability and damage once you get the dual wielders.

astarothel
06-21-2010, 10:02 PM
I'd rate enchanter animations pretty high. In a soloing environment they are very strong, with good durability and damage once you get the dual wielders.

If you can't control them with your pet controls box (which in classic you can't because you only have Pet Go Away), enchanter animations are pretty disappointing. No /pet attack is pretty damn awful.

pickled_heretic
06-21-2010, 10:09 PM
If you can't control them with your pet controls box (which in classic you can't because you only have Pet Go Away), enchanter animations are pretty disappointing. No /pet attack is pretty damn awful.

The fact that you can't control them makes them worse than useless in groups, but not nearly so when you're soloing.

I'm working on an enchanter alt right now and I don't have confidence in charm, so I'm busting out Jebartik whenever I am alone or in a duo situation.

President
06-21-2010, 10:48 PM
Pet Ranks:

1. Gonaner
2. Jebartik
3. Jabarer

astarothel
06-21-2010, 10:50 PM
It's a tie between Laser and Goner imo.

Kraftwerk
06-21-2010, 11:31 PM
It's a tie between Laser and Goner imo.

Laser always wins.

astarothel
06-21-2010, 11:35 PM
Laser always wins.

Goner is aptly named :(

Daywolf
06-21-2010, 11:55 PM
Pretty sure the mage pet is the top listed. Never rolled a mage though, since I don't play for pets in eq. Left out Drui pet btw, charmed pets at least. However, building my 4th Drui now and still no plans to use pet charms even, if they even work right. Although have an Enc on GC and used the pet a number of times, but can't make first hand comparisons to other classes apart form being better than Druid pets, but then not the only thing on the spell list to assist heh.

Safon
06-22-2010, 12:55 AM
I think the guy who said

1 - Mage
2 - Necro
3 - Shaman?
4 - Enchanter
5 - Shadowknight

seemed to have it right, i as well however am unsure of whether the shaman pet is superior to the enchanter's. Any experts on the game have any insight?

Gorgetrapper
06-22-2010, 01:06 AM
Beastlord.

>.>

Yinaltin
06-22-2010, 04:40 AM
larn for the win !

guineapig
06-22-2010, 07:55 AM

Enchanter pets are currently not dual wielding because of an exploitable mechanic involving giving them weapons I think. I bumped the original thread. Sorry don't have much details on it.

Brut
06-22-2010, 09:47 AM
To summarize SK pet... Imagine yourself at late twenties, king of the world with your fine plate set, cleaning your way through Crushbone heading to Emperor tower. You establish camp there to get a quest item from ambassador. You make a pet to see how it cracks the whip you just looted off taskmaster. The pet goes on to chase a centurion to throne room. Tons of aggro messages. Pet dies. Tons of aggro. You desperately jump out the window into the river, can't find the ladder, and die in humiliation to the greenies.

The preceeding story is a product of complete and utter imagination.

1. Mage pet.
2. Necro pet.
3. Enc pet.
4. Shaman pet.
5. Warrior pet.
6. Variety of microbes.
7. SK pet.

astarothel
06-22-2010, 09:49 AM

:(

Skope
06-22-2010, 09:55 AM
The thread says according to pet abilities so I think the list would differ somewhat depending on the situation. Necros have rogue/monk and spectre pets that are granted some awesome abilities (lifetap, backstab, flying kick etc) whereas mage pets' abilities are stun/DS/root and whatever the hell it is that water does.

In terms of flat-out DPS though it would be very hard to top a necro rogue pet with 2 FS daggers and a feared mob.

Shammy pets get to DW with weapons, but that's it really. The puppies are lower level and don't have much HP. They make decent tanks if the mob is slowed, but if you're slowing you might as well just tank it yourself

bionicbadger
06-22-2010, 10:03 AM
Shaman pet cant tank for shit. Its pretty much just another DoT.

mgellan
06-22-2010, 10:17 AM
Shaman pet cant tank for shit. Its pretty much just another DoT.

/agree, my Shammy on live could never rely on a pet (up to mid-50s before I quit) and I basically treated it like a DoT, let it gnaw on the mobs ankle while I meleed, or it'd be gone pretty quick. It did enough damage to finish off mobs as they ran so I could med up for the next pop.

Regards,
Mg

Landis
06-22-2010, 10:27 AM
Enchanter pets are currently not dual wielding because of an exploitable mechanic involving giving them weapons I think. I bumped the original thread. Sorry don't have much details on it.

they are, it was fixed apparently

Reiker
06-23-2010, 08:41 AM
The thread says according to pet abilities so I think the list would differ somewhat depending on the situation. Necros have rogue/monk and spectre pets that are granted some awesome abilities (lifetap, backstab, flying kick etc) whereas mage pets' abilities are stun/DS/root and whatever the hell it is that water does.

In terms of flat-out DPS though it would be very hard to top a necro rogue pet with 2 FS daggers and a feared mob.

Shammy pets get to DW with weapons, but that's it really. The puppies are lower level and don't have much HP. They make decent tanks if the mob is slowed, but if you're slowing you might as well just tank it yourself

All pets are warriors until kunark. Kunark mage pets water is a rogue, air is monk, fire is wizard, and earth is still a warrior.

Thac0
06-23-2010, 09:03 AM
Enchanter pets are currently not dual wielding because of an exploitable mechanic involving giving them weapons I think. I bumped the original thread. Sorry don't have much details on it.Its been fixed :)

Thac0
06-23-2010, 09:08 AM
The fact that you can't control them makes them worse than useless in groups, but not nearly so when you're soloing.

I'm working on an enchanter alt right now and I don't have confidence in charm, so I'm busting out Jebartik whenever I am alone or in a duo situation. In a decent group you just tell the team mates to assist the pet an root/mez adds.

Otherwise just treat the enchanter pet as a really dumb team-mate that attacks what he wants and breaks mezzes sometimes and doesn't go afk at the worst time. He does comparable damage to any mage pet its level (sans the damage shield) and adds dps about as good as a decently geared melee. Its not really that far off from a real teammate (except the going afk at the worst time part :) )

guineapig
06-23-2010, 10:10 AM
In a decent group you just tell the team mates to assist the pet an root/mez adds.

Otherwise just treat the enchanter pet as a really dumb team-mate that attacks what he wants and breaks mezzes sometimes and doesn't go afk at the worst time. He does comparable damage to any mage pet its level (sans the damage shield) and adds dps about as good as a decently geared melee. Its not really that far off from a real teammate (except the going afk at the worst time part :) )

This is a really smart idea. Not exactly essential in classic with how low the hipoints of mobs are but if you are really hurting on DPS and charming is not an option, this would be a great use of the enchanter pet.

pickled_heretic
06-23-2010, 11:11 AM
In a decent group you just tell the team mates to assist the pet an root/mez adds.

Enchanter pets don't work well with mez. You can't tell them to back off. They don't stop attacking when you mez a target. Plus, I can't imagine convincing people in my group to assist my pet. I'm not saying it couldn't work but having to tell everyone to accomodate themselves to my pet seems like it's not worth the effort at all.

I'm still convinced that enchanter pets are quite solid in a solo/duo/small group situation. They're probably on par with necro pets for raw combat prowess. But the lack of being able to control them at all really ruins it for groups.

fugazi
06-23-2010, 11:52 AM
To summarize SK pet... Imagine yourself at late twenties, king of the world with your fine plate set, cleaning your way through Crushbone heading to Emperor tower. You establish camp there to get a quest item from ambassador. You make a pet to see how it cracks the whip you just looted off taskmaster. The pet goes on to chase a centurion to throne room. Tons of aggro messages. Pet dies. Tons of aggro. You desperately jump out the window into the river, can't find the ladder, and die in humiliation to the greenies.

Hehe :D

At least you can use your pet for pulling in combination with feign death. Thanks to ye old crappy pathing, there's more than one place that you can use this at to make monsters warp to you .. with some luck.

rioisk
06-23-2010, 11:58 AM

Believe this is incorrect, mage water pet is a rogue in kunark as well and is pretty crazy DPS with BS.