PDA

View Full Version : Game Mechanics: Mage epic pet

diplo
02-27-2013, 10:33 AM
After testing out epic pet PvP, root landed 100% of the time (about 6x that fight).

On live, the epic pet had very high MR, at which point it was a useless strategy to try to even root the thing.

Here's a reference on zam (http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/spell.html?spell=1936)
http://i.imgur.com/n0RGBSJ.jpg

Here is another indirect reference (http://www.eqclassic.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2579&hilit=epic+pet) referring how the pet does in pvp.

Another reference epic mage pet pvp (http://www.eqclassic.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=1180&hilit=epic+pet)

I'm still looking for more references, and will need Dr. Nirgon's help on this one.

SamwiseRed
02-27-2013, 12:09 PM
you are basing the mr of this pet on 6 casts? not sure if you are serious but this is hardly evidence of anything. also you are not providing logs or proof. doubt anything is going to happen if this is all you are going to post. instead of looking for references to support you claim, back up your claim first with logs or screenshots. one thing that might be the cause is the screwy resist system here. the same resist system mages take advantage of with earth pet should and will apply to their epic pet. to fix this one, you probably need to fix the latter (and more important one.)

diplo
02-27-2013, 12:13 PM
I was just surprised to see it happen yesterday. I'll take some logs today, but I'm already thinking that it has same resist as regular pets. thx tho.

i'm new to this bug posting thing.

SamwiseRed
02-27-2013, 12:16 PM
i guess the first question to ask is whether or not mage pets fall under npcs or pcs for their resist check. if i had to quess, i would say npc because they can be feared but not sure

Bamzal Sherbet
02-27-2013, 12:34 PM
null purposely designed it this way so that everything and everyone is rooted at all times. duhhhhh

Nirgon
02-27-2013, 12:41 PM
Epic pet was a son of a bitch. Fix earth pet first tho :P.

diplo
02-27-2013, 01:58 PM
Epic pet was a son of a bitch. Fix earth pet first tho :P.

both should be fixed simultaneously

Nirgon
02-27-2013, 02:09 PM
I think you have some treasure hunting to do using way back, eqzam, eqcaster etc... and of course... digging through ANCIENT RAID GUILD BOARDS. Earth pet imo is a freaking copy/paste fix :P.

It wasn't useless trying to root at all though, just quite a bit harder. Like I said, 1/5 should be about right.

The "useless trying" part comes from you trying 3 roots and one finally sticks while the mage blasts you. That's what made it such a bitch. Oh yeah, it hurt pretty fuckin bad compared to other pets too :P.

Sundawg
02-27-2013, 07:18 PM
How much is a tricky question, but I do agree that this particular pet should be slightly more MR then the average mob of same level.

http://www.project1999.org/forums/showpost.php?p=866263&postcount=7

Nirgon
02-27-2013, 09:46 PM
How much is a tricky question, but I do agree that this particular pet should be slightly more MR then the average mob of same level.

http://www.project1999.org/forums/showpost.php?p=866263&postcount=7

Give it a little nudge but not a big one until someone can find a parse. Lil bit of move speed, lil bit of magic resist.

My patch would bring this more in line with classic rather than just leaving it wrong/broken while more 1999-late2k EQ history fades from the internet by the day.

Maybe copy and paste the pre-Kunark earth pet root data / resist check over top of the current lure based Kunark pet root too.

Kringe
02-27-2013, 10:41 PM
ITs already been fixed addressed apparently sigh..

http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=100032

Dullah
02-28-2013, 08:04 AM
pvp resists don't really account for a mage pet (npc) rooting players with 150 MR. With 150 mr, npcs 10 levels beneath you (pet level) don't land MR based spells...

The problem is more than just pvp resists, which need to be fixed but are irrelevant.

nilbog
02-28-2013, 09:31 AM
Trolling bug threads and/or insulting staff or developers will not be tolerated. Deleted the offending posts. Posters which continue in this manner will be removed.

Stay on topic and do not abuse your privilege of posting in bug threads.

Handpartytowel
03-04-2013, 02:37 AM
please consider that for epic mage pet to resist roots as much as it did on live, while following the resist system on this server, you need to give the pet like 350mr, which was obviously not the case on live.

Tippett
03-07-2013, 05:18 AM
can we fix people resists before we work on pet resists

just sayin shits been broke for years now

mostbitter
03-07-2013, 01:05 PM
Im assuming you gave your pet summoned daggers to boost its MR before this test? either way pulling up some info about how someone couldn't root an epic pet at level 51. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that mage they had tried to fight wasn't 51 also.

Nirgon
03-07-2013, 01:28 PM
Pets benefitting from things other than weapons being handed to them is part of the change were pets became "players" by design. Would need to find the time line on that one.

That said, mage sword procs on npcs being fixed and SK epic bash went in with the same patch. Still awaiting final ruling on this, but probably not the simplest code fix?

mostbitter
03-07-2013, 01:33 PM
I'd assume the change your discussing came along with the mage line of summoned plate armor? Not really sure but I was assuming diplo probably gave his pet hack swords instead of the magic resistance daggers they actually would receive on live.

Smedy
03-07-2013, 02:56 PM
As i stated earlier in the thread, this isn't an issue with the pet, it's the resist sytem in general.

Fix resists and mage epic pet fixes itself.

End of story

Lime
03-10-2013, 05:52 AM
Epic Mage pet stun landing 90+% of the time on 160+ magic resist at cast range. Atleast it landed 4/4 casts on me when I was fighting one of the two mages on the box that has it. Seems to be functioning similar to the earth pet in that it ignores resists and lands no matter what.

An MR Fix would make this pet too strong.

mostbitter
03-10-2013, 12:50 PM
The epic pet was too strong on live. When Tuis got it on Tallon zek he didn't lose fight for years afterwards.

Jigga
03-10-2013, 02:10 PM
Making it like live so that its hard to land spells on it does not make sense until the resist system on players resembles live more than it does now. If changes on resists are going to be changed then it needs to be across the board all at once. Because honestly as it stands if you compare how player resists are working with the epic resist then its working fine, spells are landing more often and harder on PC here than live so why shouldnt spells land easier on mage epic? . Cherry picking certain fixes that greatly affects pvp and implementing them piece mail is not a smart move. Have the staff work on it and shelf it until the whole knew resist system is ready to be implemented.

mostbitter
03-10-2013, 02:15 PM
i agree with the above post. this is not an issue that should be worked on currently.

Nirgon
03-10-2013, 06:28 PM
Epic Mage pet stun landing 90+% of the time on 160+ magic resist at cast range. Atleast it landed 4/4 casts on me when I was fighting one of the two mages on the box that has it. Seems to be functioning similar to the earth pet in that it ignores resists and lands no matter what.

Dawg is gonna dawg too late

diplo
03-11-2013, 02:57 PM

That was a fun fight, but my pet was MR buffed with 2 daggers of symbols so that would be about +45MR and i don't think he resisted any of your mezzes and whatever you threw at him, so it's broken both ways :)

Sickpuppy
03-28-2013, 02:24 PM
Does not invis him self .. He should .. Also he doesn't backstab which he also should be doing .. Lets get dr nirgon and daddy nizzar on the case te mages need this fixed oh and the epic pet is supposed to have super super high mr and that isn't the case here

heartbrand
03-28-2013, 02:43 PM
I don't want to hear a single thing about mage pet MR until resists are fixed on red99.

Gel Mibson
03-28-2013, 03:36 PM
i don't recall the backstab/invis, ever...where is your evidence?

Sundawg
03-28-2013, 05:13 PM
Does not invis him self .. He should ..

should not

Also he doesn't backstab

WAD

epic pet is supposed to have super super high mr and that isn't the case here

already a thread on this here:

http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=100028

diplo
03-28-2013, 05:20 PM
what is WAD?

and sickpuppy, this is from my old thread:

I spent some time recently researching this pet because it came to my attention that the thing was enraging in game.

So far:

Magician Epic pet should run about as fast as jboots.
Magician Epic pet should not enrage at low health.
Magician Epic pet will be slightly more magic resistant.

Fixed, pending update.

also, sundawg, how slightly more magic resistant are we talking about?

SamwiseRed
03-28-2013, 05:41 PM
wad=working as intended

Smedy
03-28-2013, 07:42 PM
mage epic pet was resistant on live, but considering you were pretty much immune to root at 100 mr you can do the math which mr the pet had, i'd say it had about 60 mr without buffs, cause unbuffed it was rooted about 1/5 for me (had epic pet on live)

Tippett
03-29-2013, 09:01 AM
yeah kinda dum to make the pet immune to roots when players cant even achieve that status

Nirgon
03-29-2013, 11:55 AM
It didn't backstab.

It would alternate kick and bash.

It was about runspeed 3 (if you're using AA's as a guide line). It wasn't QUITE as fast as jboots but close.

It hit like a truck, was harder to root (like a planar mob abouts) and hit like a bus, even in pvp.

Hopefully it casts all of its spells correctly.

Sickpuppy
03-29-2013, 12:20 PM
I looked some stuff up seems like everything is working fine besides his mr ... Please close this thread

Nizzarr
03-29-2013, 01:53 PM
not to be mean, but next time you want to post a bug report I suggest searching for your issues on the interwebs and on this very forum.

Nirgon
03-29-2013, 03:33 PM
Shoulda just kept the earth staff bro/pal/lewl etc