PDA

View Full Version : Kickstarter - possible?

raitheon
03-28-2013, 03:51 PM
Hey forum bros. I had a thought for the GMs and devs of Ol' Project 1999. Would it be illegal to set up a kickstarter for P99 donations? Sure; you couldn't promise anything in return other than the continued quality of life we all get.

But it could bring a couple more people into P99. Perhaps for land marks you guys could do something like 'X implimentation by x date!'

I know there are several things outstanding (even on Red) that are currently 'in the works.'

Thoughts, feelings suggestions?

Frieza_Prexus
03-28-2013, 03:56 PM
Hey forum bros. I had a thought for the GMs and devs of Ol' Project 1999. Would it be illegal to set up a kickstarter for P99 donations? Sure; you couldn't promise anything in return other than the continued quality of life we all get.

But it could bring a couple more people into P99. Perhaps for land marks you guys could do something like 'X implimentation by x date!'

I know there are several things outstanding (even on Red) that are currently 'in the works.'

Thoughts, feelings suggestions?

I suspect, very strongly, that anything of this sort would fall into the "illegal" category. The reason is because you are placing a nexus between the modification and use of a copyrighted work and that of monetary compensation.

IE: If the amount of work done with Sony's intellectual property is in any way tied to donations, that's RMT.

You could do it slyly, or "under the table" and just say "no no, it's for hosting costs," but in reality it'd just be a cover story.

Now, if the developer's time were all taken up by something else, say having to perform maintenance on an old server for 4 hours a day, the donations to provide for then new hardware would simply "free up their time." However, this is not the likely reality, and you will instead be paying them to work on content which brings us back to the point above.

Ele
03-28-2013, 03:58 PM
Kickstart "moderation of the forum"

Swish
03-28-2013, 04:16 PM
OP translates as "Will pay $$$ for Velious to be released sooner".

Sit down and wait however long it takes. As soon as it's here, its not going anywhere... ;)

raitheon
03-28-2013, 07:49 PM
OP translates as "Will pay $$$ for Velious to be released sooner".

Sit down and wait however long it takes. As soon as it's here, its not going anywhere... ;)

you've got me all wrong. My highest character is an 18 magician. I in no way benefit from Vellious coming out until i hit at least 25.

the original post is as innocent as it seems; there's no candy and there is no van.

raitheon
03-28-2013, 07:51 PM
Kickstart "moderation of the forum"

Agree.

Also; Swish I log into the forums just to see the change in your avatar and signature.

raitheon
03-28-2013, 07:54 PM
I suspect, very strongly, that anything of this sort would fall into the "illegal" category. The reason is because you are placing a nexus between the modification and use of a copyrighted work and that of monetary compensation.

IE: If the amount of work done with Sony's intellectual property is in any way tied to donations, that's RMT.

You could do it slyly, or "under the table" and just say "no no, it's for hosting costs," but in reality it'd just be a cover story.

Now, if the developer's time were all taken up by something else, say having to perform maintenance on an old server for 4 hours a day, the donations to provide for then new hardware would simply "free up their time." However, this is not the likely reality, and you will instead be paying them to work on content which brings us back to the point above.

Although I'm not 100% sure; i think Kickstarter legally has you designate exactly where the funds are going - you can't simply start a kickstarter and then pocket the money. RMT is really difficult; but obviously there has to be something can be done as P99 is already accepting donations; right?