PDA

View Full Version : EC tunnel feed

nhauk
03-30-2013, 11:08 AM
I no longer play on this server. I do however have terminal server I can launch p99 in and live feed the desktop to a service such as twitch.TV. I was curious as to whether or not this is legal or if people even want a service like this. Just keep a second monitor with a web browser open and the feed on. I would need a significant amount of people going to use this in order for me to take the time to set it up. I will request absolutely no fee and do this just as a courtesy to the community of p99

Nordenwatch
03-30-2013, 11:09 AM
I would use this all the freaking time, and I would love you forever for it.

Recusco
03-30-2013, 11:40 AM
I would also use this whenever I am playing and even sometimes when I am not. I am sure the people trying to sell their wares would appreciate this.

nhauk
03-30-2013, 11:43 AM
If I could just get verification from a gm that would be all it takes to get it started. Also I don't remember if p99 has an idle timer. This may also be an issue as to I will have minimal face time with the machine and don't have the time to turn my toon every 10 mins or whatever

Thulack
03-30-2013, 11:47 AM
No idle timer and there was a thread like this yesterday where someone was charging people plat for a live text feed on EC tunnel and GM's ruled it illegal because of the charging part. If your doing it for free there should be no issue with it. Also i would use it on a regular basis.

Byrjun
03-30-2013, 11:56 AM
My internet sucks so I can't really have a twitch feed running 24/7. I'd still use the text one.

Emphase
03-30-2013, 01:21 PM
I think you are fine to do this, the person who attempted it last time was doing so subscription based on plat. this is what the guide had to say about that:

"This would be considered a violation of our policy. It will be providing a service for in game items. Doing so will get you banned."

I do not believe there is an idle timer, I've been online and end up falling asleep and forget that I'm logged in for a weekend...and I'd still be online when I came back.

**I would use this all the time

Tiltjag
03-30-2013, 01:26 PM
Add my name to the list of those that would be eternally grateful for something like this. Can those types of streams be accessed via Ipad?

Elmarnieh
03-30-2013, 01:44 PM
Very useful for me as well.

azxten
03-30-2013, 01:56 PM
A couple months ago I created eastcommonlands.com (http://eastcommonlands.com/) (warning, only "has price" and "wtb/wts" filters work at the moment) which has a live stream of EC (currently delayed to 10 second refresh rate, hopefully this save the crappy back end from dying after I make this post). Its free to use and is simply EQ running a Windows VPS with the logs being parsed into a MySQL database and a Django front end.

Unfortunately, I haven't had time to finish this yet but all it really needs is someone to complete the UI and add some pricing graphs for specific items, etc. I planned to use Google's Chart API to offload this work from the server, allow for live graphs, and its easy. If anyone wants to step up and assist me with this I'll pay for the server (unless it becomes too expensive, but its there now) and assist when I'm able. Anyone who knows Django or wants to learn it, or wants to redo the front end, let me know.

The only other concern is that you do get disconnected from EQ occasionally and automating the login process would violate the server rules. This means someone has to manually restart the EQ client. Then there is the other aspect of "two boxing", running this EQ client means someone has a character in game, it has to be owned by someone who isn't playing another character. This has been another hurdle to me leaving it up.

I guess I'm asking for two volunteers:

1. Someone who doesn't play here and can get an E-mail/SMS/etc at random times and is willing to use Remote Desktop to connect to this Windows server and restart EQ.

2. Someone who wants to continue to develop the UI for eastcommonlands.com so that it has item links to historical pricing information, etc. I can assist you with this if you're a novice web developer.

nhauk
03-30-2013, 04:19 PM
holy balls! thats way more advanced than i can ever do! way to go, guess i'll nix the stream and save my bandwidth :) i really need to learn how to do that stuff! i thought i was highspeed with the stream from a virtual server

azxten
03-31-2013, 03:52 AM
Meh, no one has volunteered to help. It really gets annoying having to reconnect to EQ every couple days. Annoying in the sense that you lose a lot of data because its hard to care enough to fix it when you get disconnected. Still looking for 2 volunteers. :)

Estu
03-31-2013, 09:04 AM
FYI, http://ahungry.com/eqauctions is already doing exactly this. People need to run a program and sit in EC so that it gets updated, though. What you could do is get whatever character you'd use to collect logs for your site, and collect logs for this site instead or in addition.

azxten
03-31-2013, 11:53 AM
FYI, http://ahungry.com/eqauctions is already doing exactly this. People need to run a program and sit in EC so that it gets updated, though. What you could do is get whatever character you'd use to collect logs for your site, and collect logs for this site instead or in addition.

The program on this site appears to just scan your EQ directory for logs when you run it and upload them. The site only updates once an hour. There is also no ability to search the auctions, only the items being auctioned.

What if I want to know immediately when someone is selling a fungi tunic for less than 80k? On ahungry you'll have to wait about an hour, search for it, and then spam refresh waiting for it to show up.

My site, you could enter a price range between 60-80k, filter on "fungus covered scale tunic", set the date/time to now and then just leave the window open. Within a few seconds of this item being auctioned it'll show on your previously blank list.

Then there is the whole other aspect that the site you linked only links to the P99 Wiki auction tracker. Honestly, the data on the P99 auction tracker kind of sucks balls and I understand why now after generating my own data. For example, no buyer data.

Prices are much better represented as an average of all prices (buy and sell) that exist rather than just looking at the sell prices. For example, the average price of a fungi for sell in my data for past 30 days is 92k.. on P99 auction tracker its 90k. Then if you average people wanting to buy fungi the average is 73k, no data for P99 tracker. Take the median and you get something like 83k which is much closer to the average market price for a fungi.

Basically.. ahungry is great, and thats where I got the idea from, but it doesn't actually do real time.. it relies on someone submitting the logs for them, which no one has done in the last 4 days, and then it takes an hour for the data to refresh and you are missing a ton of data/being linked to the P99 wiki for the auctions/items and I just want to make something better.

I'll finish this auction tracker, and it will be awesome, it might just take me a year. I just wanted to mention it in case someone wants to help out and make it happen faster.

Thulack
03-31-2013, 12:25 PM

Yeha no offense to Ahungry but a live feed or what he already has make is better. I tried to run the log loader and it didnt work so i didnt bother going back to the site. Personally i liked the website based one that that guy was charging for. It's easier to read then azx one(which is still nice). I cant really talk bad on any though as it is more then i am willing to do though. Personally though i would like like the Live stream of EC that was proposed by OP. just make a big chat box in middle of screen and make sure the text is big enough that we can read it :)

Swish
03-31-2013, 01:12 PM
The program on this site appears to just scan your EQ directory for logs when you run it and upload them. The site only updates once an hour. There is also no ability to search the auctions, only the items being auctioned.

Not a regular user then. You can search for an item you're looking for in a box titled "Search for an item", why else would you be searching?... :confused:

azxten
03-31-2013, 01:39 PM
Not a regular user then. You can search for an item you're looking for in a box titled "Search for an item", why else would you be searching?... :confused:

I mean you can't filter the auctions by specific price and date ranges, among other things. I do a lot of conversion of things like "10.5k" to turn them into a standard price like 10500 which goes into the database making it a searchable value. Same for item acronyms like "fbss" and a lot of other stuff.

Its just one additional thing in a list of things I want in an auction tracker. I can already do everything I want because I have a MySQL command prompt where I can enter insane queries that would blow your mind. :)

That's kind of why I stopped developing the front end.. thats just for the public at large. Just be aware there are people out there who can have a list of items auctioned in EC in the last 10 minutes that are being sold at less than their average market value. You can then take an inventory of items you purchased and run it back through the same database to get a list of items you're selling and slightly higher than market prices for all of them.

I want EVERYONE to be able to do this. Not the handful of people who are currently strangling the economy using systems like the one I described.

I will consider my auction tracker sucessful if some newb trying to buy an FBSS for 10k instead of 15k can leave a window open while hunting in some random zone and have that 10k FBSS show up within seconds so they have a chance of buying it before the people who live in EC snatch it up.

Oh and on the flip side.. I want those people who always sell things at much higher prices than normal to have a red name in the auction tracker whenever they sell anything so people understand they are a price gouger. This will all be automated, no personal decisions made, if you always sell things at 50% higher than average you're going to be marked as a greedy seller.

Swish
03-31-2013, 02:18 PM
I will consider my auction tracker sucessful if some newb trying to buy an FBSS for 10k instead of 15k can leave a window open while hunting in some random zone and have that 10k FBSS show up within seconds so they have a chance of buying it before the people who live in EC snatch it up.

Oh and on the flip side.. I want those people who always sell things at much higher prices than normal to have a red name in the auction tracker whenever they sell anything so people understand they are a price gouger...

This is admirable I must say! :)

porigromus
03-31-2013, 05:21 PM
The trade federation should have 3rd party software written where people can place their items for auction and once a trusted trade member has been given the item it gets listed. Potential buyers can search for items and make bids within an time.

I think that would be very popular and the trusted trade member would make a lot of commission. To not confuse anyone this would be an out of game system.

Hinthek
06-02-2013, 11:12 PM
Someone be a peach and get this site runnin. :)

It was pretty slick when it was working there for a bit.

Kagatob
06-02-2013, 11:23 PM
The trade federation should have 3rd party software written where people can place their items for auction and once a trusted trade member has been given the item it gets listed. Potential buyers can search for items and make bids within an time.

I think that would be very popular and the trusted trade member would make a lot of commission. To not confuse anyone this would be an out of game system.

Not classic.