PDA

View Full Version : Could Velious launch this year?

bartillo
04-01-2013, 12:50 PM
Any guesses on a Velious launch timeframe?

Aaron
04-01-2013, 01:01 PM
Serious thread?

Gadwen
04-01-2013, 01:02 PM
Next week, for sure.

Lyra
04-01-2013, 01:08 PM
No

Pint
04-01-2013, 01:44 PM
No

Swish
04-01-2013, 01:46 PM
Could Velious launch this year?

5 star thread, should speed up the process of release considerably.

http://i.minus.com/i39Qn3bsh1UcV.gif

pharmakos
04-01-2013, 02:22 PM
IMCUO (in my completely uninformed opinion) we'll see it by the end of the year

Sularus Oth Mithas
04-01-2013, 02:39 PM
5 star thread, should speed up the process of release considerably.

http://i.minus.com/i39Qn3bsh1UcV.gif

LOL.

I gotta ask, was it like this waiting for Kunark as well?

Innovative
04-01-2013, 05:16 PM
EQClassic will be out before this.

lawll
04-01-2013, 05:35 PM
damn another velious thread already?

odiecat99
04-01-2013, 05:37 PM
it will be out when it's out..

Friday
04-01-2013, 05:40 PM
Kunark Release on P99:

SHIT ton of people logged in (over 2,000?)
All of them sitting at Oasis docks

Rogean and crew made a (custom?) script to launch kunark but it needed players to start it (the script was a bit tough).

People still sitting at Oasis docks not doing the event. Several broadcasts over the hours and people eventually got off their asses and went to kill some mob and collect various species blood/head or some stuff.

Then there was the random 1 person who got 3 mistwalkers as loot drops. And DE masks. And some other stuff.

Kunark release on p99 was funny.

SamwiseRed
04-01-2013, 05:48 PM
when is luclin coming out?

Swish
04-01-2013, 06:00 PM
Kunark Release on P99:

SHIT ton of people logged in (over 2,000?)
All of them sitting at Oasis docks

Rogean and crew made a (custom?) script to launch kunark but it needed players to start it (the script was a bit tough).

People still sitting at Oasis docks not doing the event. Several broadcasts over the hours and people eventually got off their asses and went to kill some mob and collect various species blood/head or some stuff.

Then there was the random 1 person who got 3 mistwalkers as loot drops. And DE masks. And some other stuff.

Kunark release on p99 was funny.

Sounds awesome, I didn't do anything with Oasis but I remember about 150 iksar all fighting over scorpions and wolf pups in Field of Bone and people buying scorp pincers for 10-25pp to try and get ahead.

falkun
04-01-2013, 06:58 PM
Max ever on P99 was Kunark launch:
http://www.eqemulator.org/index.php?pageid=serverinfo&worldid=787
Max Players: 1523

myriverse
04-02-2013, 07:26 AM
Velious will launch.
The boat will not.

Bring your floaties.

Musetii
04-02-2013, 07:37 AM
Think everquest Next will drop this year? What's gonna happen to p99 if this happens?

fadetree
04-02-2013, 08:21 AM
Everquest Next? Probably will never drop. If it did, estimated effect on p99 :
none.

Swish
04-02-2013, 10:36 AM
Not high enough on SOE's list. If I wanted to play anything of theirs at the moment it would be Planetside 2. "EQ Next" needs a title adjustment too imo :/

Unidus
04-02-2013, 04:25 PM
During SoE live Smed said they were scraping what they have for EQNext and starting over so I wouldn't expect it till 2014 or 15. It would be nice for an update on Velious though.

Swish
04-02-2013, 04:57 PM
It would be nice for an update on Velious though.

Just wait ffs, there's still Kunark patches to come. Stop pressuring them, they'll announce anything in their own time. Enjoy what's available now.

http://i.minus.com/idbnivVeQMQdI.gif

Bamzal Sherbet
04-02-2013, 05:38 PM
those are some funny ass gifs. i wish i knew what was going on in the first one.. is he tossing some green dust on sum1 and running?

Tenlaar
04-02-2013, 07:13 PM
Enjoy what's available now.

What if what you enjoy isn't available because top end players have been hanging out with kunark dragons for so long that they feel they have a personal relationship with them and get jealous if they hang out with anybody else?

WHAT THEN, SMART GUY?

Alarti0001
04-02-2013, 07:21 PM
What if what you enjoy isn't available because top end players have been hanging out with kunark dragons for so long that they feel they have a personal relationship with them and get jealous if they hang out with anybody else?

WHAT THEN, SMART GUY?

Just ignore swish anytime Velious is mentioned he gets apoplectic.

Tenlaar
04-02-2013, 07:35 PM
I've noticed, I felt I had to do my part to keep the thread going for that reason alone!

Dear GMS, please select the appropriate answer.

Velious is:

A) Less than six months away.
2) Six months to a year away.
♣) More than a year away.
D) A trap!

Alarti0001
04-02-2013, 07:44 PM
I've noticed, I felt I had to do my part to keep the thread going for that reason alone!

Dear GMS, please select the appropriate answer.

Velious is:

A) Less than six months away.
2) Six months to a year away.
♣) More than a year away.
D) A trap!

A or D imo

Meeper
04-02-2013, 08:06 PM

WHAT THEN, SMART GUY?

Infiltrate the guild. Destroy it from within.

It's the EVE Online way.

Swish
04-02-2013, 10:02 PM
Just ignore swish anytime Velious is mentioned he gets apoplectic.

Nice to see Alarti climbing out of his RnF playpen once in a while :)

Realistically it would be better to release it either around November when the summer lull tends to be over or at/in the New Year... I can wait, I don't see why everyone else is bouncing off the walls like kids that drank a large glass of Coca Cola. It's wrong to put pressure on volunteers to give up more of their spare time because you're bored with your 1337 Kunark pixels.

Good things come to those who wait.

Tenlaar
04-02-2013, 10:29 PM
Asking for an estimate of when something will be done != demanding it be done sooner.

rendart
04-03-2013, 07:27 AM
If you're so eager for velious, check out the sleepers server, its going live any day now.

Twoberries
04-03-2013, 08:43 AM
Def a trap

:eek:

Kruel
04-03-2013, 09:14 AM
If you're so eager for velious, check out the sleepers server, its going live any day now.

any old IB/DA players going to try and roll there to check it out?

Innovative
04-03-2013, 09:36 AM

Just checked that out. Looks pretty cool. Thanks.

Tecmos Deception
04-03-2013, 09:44 AM
Just checked that out. Looks pretty cool.

That's like saying that a politician's campaign during elections sounds pretty good.

Danglez
04-03-2013, 10:07 AM

This. Looking forward to the launch on April 10th, it has Classic - Velious upon release.

Sularus Oth Mithas
04-03-2013, 10:51 AM
That's like saying that a politician's campaign during elections sounds pretty good.

Actually it's more like saying I want to see a movie after watching a trailer for it. I wish I hadn't looked actually. Now I am thinking about checking it out.

porigromus
04-03-2013, 01:31 PM
This. Looking forward to the launch on April 10th, it has Classic - Velious upon release.

Boxing and going past Velious makes it a no go for me. I enjoy seeing options out there though!

Splorf22
04-03-2013, 01:49 PM
So I had a chat with a friend last night about the Sleeper server. It's a new server that among other things will go all the way to Velious, allow 2-boxing, and give guilds tokens to spawn raid mobs. Now compared to P1999 the quality of the server and its approximation to classic are very low, and if you don't believe me read http://epicemu.com/forum/monk-mitigation-or-ac-general (summary: they made relative level a factor in damage calculations only one month ago, and in a totally arbitrary way). Nevertheless after chatting a while we both decided that if the Sleeper ever launched for real with a decent population we'd have to consider moving there. Part of it is the boxing (I'd be curious to try it, war/enc ofc) but most of it is the tokens to spawn raid mobs. Think about this: the endgame scene on P1999 is so bad that we are seriously considering playing on a server that added relative level to damage calculations one month ago and has hundreds of other bugs.

Nothing has changed since I wrote this 8 months ago. Who knows, maybe it is just too buggy, but I'll definitely give the Sleeper a shot, and I'm sure so will a lot of other people.

Arterian
04-03-2013, 04:10 PM
I'll be giving it a shot as well.

4/10/2013 Launch....get ready.

Itap
04-03-2013, 04:26 PM
Nothing has changed since I wrote this 8 months ago. Who knows, maybe it is just too buggy, but I'll definitely give the Sleeper a shot, and I'm sure so will a lot of other people.

Curious, are you going to make a chanter? I'm thinking of giving it a shot also, lets group up :)

fugazi
04-03-2013, 04:31 PM
Anyone up for an all-rogue party? :D

Tecmos Deception
04-03-2013, 04:35 PM
Actually it's more like saying I want to see a movie after watching a trailer for it.

It's the same concept. In both examples and with the sleeper itself, you're getting a preview that is based less in reality than in positive marketing (though as a glass-half-empty guy, I'd prefer to call it "lies").

Vandy
04-03-2013, 05:39 PM
Yup Velious goes live April 10th !

Splorf22
04-03-2013, 07:41 PM
I'm not sure, I might try something different, like a monk maybe

Itap
04-03-2013, 08:06 PM
I was thinking of making a shammy

Sephyre
04-03-2013, 08:30 PM
Will likely try it out.

Would prefer a timeline from p1999 devs on Velious release because this project seems far more legit, but can't hurt to see what the other one has to offer.

Sularus Oth Mithas
04-03-2013, 09:18 PM
I'm in it right now. It's different....

The fog is gone completely from Innothule and Feerrott, I can't remember if that was a part of Velious or not. The mobs are different in the Feerrott as well, such as bears roaming, again I don't remember if that came with Velious as well. It feels weird though.

Not to say it's bad it's just different after playing P99. It's still only the Beta that's up and running until the 10 so xp is boosted quite a bit. Hit level 5 in less than 30 minutes.

Noselacri
04-04-2013, 01:25 AM
Been keeping an eye on The Sleeper. I have very little faith in the developers' ability to actually get it right, they show zero ability to do it or even willingness to try. They constantly post stuff like "we might keep /melody in because it's cool" or "we're considering re-balancing the classes a little" and their lead dev literally claimed that warriors never needed proccing weapons to hold aggro (and his avatar is an epic warrior so I fully expect him to sneak little "features" into the server that make warriors overpowered). They have no intentions of removing things like the map and other non-classic features like that because, quoting their lead dev, "nothing wrong with a little convenience." Browsing their forums killed my faith in their ability to make the server legit and accurate. Reckon it'll be like VZ/TZ except no PvP.

They seem very dedicated to the server, but every time one of their devs or prominent beta testers post, it just screams "I have no clue what I'm talking about." The server seems worth trying just for Velious content and the ability to two-box, but I wouldn't count on quality being any higher than the countless shitty amateur servers that have sprung up over the years. They literally just don't seem good enough at it, and they aren't devoted to making things classic. They're happy to leave shit non-classic wherever it suits their favorite classes or whatever, not understanding that this will alienate most prospective players. When I tried to explain that seeking out the classic factor wherever possible was what made this server so succesful, they didn't even seem to understand the idea.

They won't even move to a proper forum but insist on sticking with the absolutely terrible one they have, lacking common format syntax and a search function which makes it completely impossible to navigate or post properly. However, they seem pretty likely to actually get the server up and, judging by the amount of time they've been working on it, can at least be expected not to disappear after a month. I suppose if it isn't a total failure then enough player feedback might get them to understand that the key to a good classic server is to actually strive to be classic. I just hope their lead dev isn't as oblivious as he sounds in his forum posts. I encourage anyone who tries the server to be critical and give them a lot of feedback so it doesn't die out, P99 has set the bar pretty high and nobody will succeed with a shitty half-assed server. The world really needs a 2-boxing server of decent quality.

Innovative
04-04-2013, 02:06 AM
Will definitely be trying it out. Gonna be fun to level up from the beginning in Velious! I miss Thurgadin!

Itap
04-04-2013, 07:40 AM
Been keeping an eye on The Sleeper. I have very little faith in the developers' ability to actually get it right, they show zero ability to do it or even willingness to try. They constantly post stuff like "we might keep /melody in because it's cool" or "we're considering re-balancing the classes a little" and their lead dev literally claimed that warriors never needed proccing weapons to hold aggro (and his avatar is an epic warrior so I fully expect him to sneak little "features" into the server that make warriors overpowered). They have no intentions of removing things like the map and other non-classic features like that because, quoting their lead dev, "nothing wrong with a little convenience." Browsing their forums killed my faith in their ability to make the server legit and accurate. Reckon it'll be like VZ/TZ except no PvP.

They seem very dedicated to the server, but every time one of their devs or prominent beta testers post, it just screams "I have no clue what I'm talking about." The server seems worth trying just for Velious content and the ability to two-box, but I wouldn't count on quality being any higher than the countless shitty amateur servers that have sprung up over the years. They literally just don't seem good enough at it, and they aren't devoted to making things classic. They're happy to leave shit non-classic wherever it suits their favorite classes or whatever, not understanding that this will alienate most prospective players. When I tried to explain that seeking out the classic factor wherever possible was what made this server so succesful, they didn't even seem to understand the idea.

They won't even move to a proper forum but insist on sticking with the absolutely terrible one they have, lacking common format syntax and a search function which makes it completely impossible to navigate or post properly. However, they seem pretty likely to actually get the server up and, judging by the amount of time they've been working on it, can at least be expected not to disappear after a month. I suppose if it isn't a total failure then enough player feedback might get them to understand that the key to a good classic server is to actually strive to be classic. I just hope their lead dev isn't as oblivious as he sounds in his forum posts. I encourage anyone who tries the server to be critical and give them a lot of feedback so it doesn't die out, P99 has set the bar pretty high and nobody will succeed with a shitty half-assed server. The world really needs a 2-boxing server of decent quality.

Hmmm, is this you?

1. So first of all i made an epicemu account, said to click a ling to make an eq login from the menu... where is this link? Am i missing something? I need two accounts. All i saw was my profile and that i could change my password.
2. For above reasons I have not bothered to install your projects code into a seperate file, I started playing p99 recently.
3. I'm very interested in the nerf status of more then a few things, im sorry if I don't have time to sort through 100's of posts for this a summary would be sufficent if someone wouldnt mind. ( monk ac / defensive nerf, SK and Necro pet pulling nerf, will /melody be available?, Are you using the "new" spells from live, ex. mages and their pets dumping dps thats unheard of in classic, I read that you "fixed" warrior taunt? Personally and I don't mean to rant, but if your decent its not a problem on p99, have you indeed changed dragon dmg / hp's / aoe timers to make it harder? I ask that only because many many years ago i played on the combine server on live. I believe RoI had ~70 people in their raid , ours, FoH had around 40-50, and it wasnt playland easy. If you guys are doing this with 20 people on beta the code is incredibly wrong or your using the "new" caster spells, monk fists(which on live, are retarded compared to classic, and god knows what else, If I'm wrong please I mean no offense but I'd like to play a classic that isnt wow, with 20 man raids or whatever the hell they do there, swtor had 8man raids and that was retarded sorry. If you guys have a list of whats been changed from live or something? whats not "classic" etc.. would really like to see this. All in all I'd like to login to the open beta and see for myself but I have yet to see anywhere or any link to do so. If this is redundant im sorry.

Thanks for the reply kegz, velious is my absolute favorite expansion and i am indeed an elitist in that aspect i guess you could say. I played a monk on the combine server on live from classic to GoD, and lead raid pulls, I'm getting back in gear on p99.. praceticing fiegn pulling etc.. With college so late in my life ( after 4 years of avionics tech in the navy ) im majoring in physics but i will no doubt do my best to go all out for end game velious. Luclin and PoP are decent, as well as GoD (absolutely love the level if difficulty involved there, elitist's shine here). Also if there are any planned top end guilds in the works I have a long history with eq and know the content well, I would therefore be interested in a bat phone type guild if any are in the works. Also I did indeed look at that particular post, which was why i asked, because a monk in cloth , under the weight limmit, and max defense will trump almost every class in tanking ability, I do so on p99, pulling argo from warriors, sk, pallys, and even casters and taking minimal dammage even grossly overweight and without worn haste. This may seem OP but its really more skill then one would think, as for melody, this may be the turning point of weather i roll a bard or monk, as i can cc and much more without it, but raid wise and grouping it is much easier to use melody imo. Also my bard on fippy tanked fairly well up to 50 in classic, that was my first and only bard and i quit before kunark but i might like to do more endgame with a bard as theyre just as fun as monks for me. I also thought SK but was also wondering about the pet pulling thing as well?

Wow. Just Wow.

Tecmos Deception
04-04-2013, 09:17 AM
Those bottom two quotes are obviously not Noselacri's.

Swish
04-04-2013, 11:02 AM
Best memories of Velious were actually in Tower of Frozen Shadow, great place to be. I didn't care much for the hundreds of "mash the keyboard for random names" dragons that were dotted around...though the race to get there first was always interesting.

Still though, EQ Live has all the expansions - so if you absolutely can't wait and are jumping up and down in your chair, channel your enthusiasm in that direction :)

Itap
04-04-2013, 12:41 PM
Those bottom two quotes are obviously not Noselacri's.

Lol

Itap
04-04-2013, 12:44 PM
i am indeed an elitist

Cheesus crust dude

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-c1X9-H1LuJA/TdBEGvo9BpI/AAAAAAAABg4/jN2ng54dY9M/s320/its-time-to-stop-posting-cat-cats-kitten-kitty-pic-picture-funny-lolcat-cute-fun-lovely-photo-images.jpg

Arterian
04-04-2013, 12:55 PM
I logged on last night. It's a far cry from classic. A slightly modified live with 3 expansions.

Lyra
04-04-2013, 01:03 PM
I logged on last night. It's a far cry from classic. A slightly modified live with 3 expansions.

Yup

Splorf22
04-04-2013, 01:08 PM
Noselacri I suspect you are right about The Sleeper. Here is the thing though. Project 1999 is a beautifully accurate recreation of classic eq. All of those little obscure quests actually work! It's an amazing project by Nilbog and Rogean. Unfortunately, there are three huge problems which really affect the endgame:

1. Variance on the raid mobs means unless you are willing to sit there mashing a track button and batphoning at all hours you can't experience the endgame at all.

2. Invis pulling trivializes the entire game (two players camp the spore king by pulling to the tube instead of a full group on the spawn point, VP dragons are solo pulled to the zone in with SK hide, any two casters can split any number of mobs without issue, making stuff like the Chef/Repairer room trivial instead of very scary)

2b. See invis mobs don't see sneaking rogues, which means that CR in these dungeons (and in VP) is borderline trivial with a rogue rather than extremely tricky for an enchanter/monk.

2c. Mobs that are aggro don't add players by proximity, making trains way less dangerous.

3. Bugged resist system/quadding mobs screws up the raid balance hugely. You get some mobs like the Bee Queen or Hoshkar that become insane (-150 resist mod on a really nasty aoe, quads for 750 and will proc that ranger dagger for 650 all the time if he has it. He might not even be killable with 24 players), while other mobs like Phara Dar or Trak become much easier because the players can hit 400+ in the resist instead of being capped at 255.

All of these things have been posted in the bug forums for months now, and it seems that for whatever reason Nilbog/Rogean aren't interested in fixing them, because they are simply ignored. So while in my ideal world Nilbog/Rogean would spend the 1 week it would take to fix them (compared to the thousands of hours it spent getting all the quests and npc spawns and such right) I've pretty much given up on that and just accept 1999 for what it is, which is an amazing recreation of classic everquest with a few glaring flaws.

So my point is that if the Sleeper devs just spend the 1 week fixing those huge issues, even if the overall quality on a per quest/npc basis is far lower, the endgame may actually be more fun. Also Velious is out, and two boxing is an interesting challenge. Who knows, I may recoil in horror at the unclassicness within hours, I don't know, but its interesting enough to give it a shot.

I kind of think at this point I'm going to box an Iksar Monk/Shaman (creative I know, but I think Monks might actually be kinda fun if invis pulls are disabled)

Arterian
04-04-2013, 02:25 PM
My guess is you will recoil in horror at the unclassicness.

From what I saw, it is essentially a snapshot of EQ in 2005/2006 (When Titanium was released). The key changes are: 3 expansions, only items from those expansions exist and spell effects from classic.

Most of the engine uses Titanium mechanics, values and stats. You get maps, compass, vendor descriptions under vendor names. The zones are quite inaccurate as far as content goes from what I saw. Tons of mobs that weren't around in classic, more spawns, more decaying skeletons for instance in several zones than were in classic.

In my opinion, it would almost seem more feasible to create a Classic-Velious themed live guild that only participated in old world encounters.

Nice idea, but it really shows just how amazingly dedicated the Project 1999 staff is to this project.

LizardNecro
04-04-2013, 03:32 PM
As much as I love p99, and think it has superior quality, I find the endgame unplayable here. I want to do high end content, but I'm not willing to batphone/poopsock. I love the idea of raid tokens. This lets smaller guilds experience end game content, and it keeps the competitive aspect of racing as well.

I'd love to hear what people are thinking in terms of box combos. I'm thinking

mage/mage: Easy and powerful. The idea of two air pets, wielding stun whips makes me drool

monk/shaman: There's going to be a million of these combos, but it does sound fun.

mage/necro: Not quite as easymode as mage/mage, but fear kiting with a mage pet is very strong. Necro also allows for more creative pulls.

other ideas?

Swish
04-04-2013, 03:43 PM
They disabled mercs then?

Norrath is going to burn with anarchy, people won't know how to play anymore :D

Alarti0001
04-04-2013, 04:27 PM
Best memories of Velious were actually in Tower of Frozen Shadow, great place to be. I didn't care much for the hundreds of "mash the keyboard for random names" dragons that were dotted around...though the race to get there first was always interesting.

Still though, EQ Live has all the expansions - so if you absolutely can't wait and are jumping up and down in your chair, channel your enthusiasm in that direction :)

TOFS is the best leveling dungeon EVER!!!!

pharmakos
04-04-2013, 04:57 PM
As much as I love p99, and think it has superior quality, I find the endgame unplayable here. I want to do high end content, but I'm not willing to batphone/poopsock. I love the idea of raid tokens. This lets smaller guilds experience end game content, and it keeps the competitive aspect of racing as well.

mage/mage: Easy and powerful. The idea of two air pets, wielding stun whips makes me drool

monk/shaman: There's going to be a million of these combos, but it does sound fun.

mage/necro: Not quite as easymode as mage/mage, but fear kiting with a mage pet is very strong. Necro also allows for more creative pulls.

other ideas?

cleric/enchanter

Sularus Oth Mithas
04-04-2013, 05:04 PM
cleric/enchanter

That one is tempting. I am thinking of that, or Sham/Necro or Sham/Monk. Possibly even Dru/ench because ports are going to be scarce for a while I would think.

Woahnelly
04-04-2013, 05:13 PM
How about shaman/bard? Seems like that duo could do pretty much everything

LizardNecro
04-04-2013, 05:34 PM
cleric/chanter seems like a ton of work. Huge payoff, but wouldn't it be fairly difficult to micromanage? Same with shaman/bard (because bard songs are so micro intensive)

Swish
04-04-2013, 05:40 PM
cleric/chanter seems like a ton of work. Huge payoff, but wouldn't it be fairly difficult to micromanage? Same with shaman/bard (because bard songs are so micro intensive)

Not much to it... the only "problems" are if charm breaks while the cleric is healing the pet. At that point you're racing to get the cleric to heal teh enchanter and the enchanter to re-charm :D

Never boxed in my life, I don't know if that's difficult to sort out or not.

fugazi
04-04-2013, 06:06 PM
Ench/cleric is decisively better once you get access to CHA gear. The difference between under 150 and above is staggering. Mage/whatever will vastly outperform an ench/clr on a new server simply because of the enchanters reliance on gear.

Unless you manage to farm enough plat so that the chanter can make his own CHA gear :)

Sadre Spinegnawer
04-04-2013, 06:10 PM
EQ 2000 > EQ Next

Treefall
04-04-2013, 06:16 PM
EQ 2000 > EQ Next

Truth.

All my dreams of a proper sequel were shattered (not that I actually thought for one second SOE was capable of a rational thought) when they said they wanted to..."reinvent" everything we know and love about MMOs. I like how they also said it was a mistake to call EQ2 EverQuest at all because it was nothing like it. SO WHY ARE THEY NAMING EQ NEXT, EQ, WHEN THEY WANT TO MAKE IT COMPLETELY DIFFERENT AGAIN!

I hate SOE with a passion.

Woahnelly
04-04-2013, 06:21 PM
Is there /melody on sleeper? If so then I really think shaman/bard would be the best without question. You would be able to do everything and would have little to no downtime

Splorf22
04-04-2013, 06:28 PM
Ench/cleric is decisively better once you get access to CHA gear. The difference between under 150 and above is staggering. Mage/whatever will vastly outperform an ench/clr on a new server simply because of the enchanters reliance on gear.

Unless you manage to farm enough plat so that the chanter can make his own CHA gear :)

It depends on how they coded charm. The default eqemu code (which is based on PoP I guess) is not actually that charisma dependent. I know because based on reading this code I went full int on Loraen :D

Shaman/Monk is actually quite weak at lower levels. I'd say its only at 35+ when the shaman can slow every mob that it really takes off. In fact all the melee will really suck until 50+ when they can start to farm Kael. Mage/Necro would get to 60 much, much faster.

Sularus Oth Mithas
04-04-2013, 06:40 PM
Is there /melody on sleeper? If so then I really think shaman/bard would be the best without question. You would be able to do everything and would have little to no downtime

I believe as of now melody is in.

Swish
04-04-2013, 06:58 PM
Well now people can enjoy Velious, what a lovely resolution to the thread... it means there's little chance of any other threads of this nature springing up about the P99 release because everyone's got a legit way to enjoy the expansion that they're so impatient for.

If not for plat hoarders demands, nobody needs to make another Velious thread for a while, and I don't need to make any gifs :D win/win

Sularus Oth Mithas
04-04-2013, 07:00 PM
Well now people can enjoy Velious, what a lovely resolution to the thread... it means there's little chance of any other threads of this nature springing up about the P99 release because everyone's got a legit way to enjoy the expansion that they're so impatient for.

If not for plat hoarders demands, nobody needs to make another Velious thread for a while, and I don't need to make any gifs :D win/win

Wishful thinking. I have it on my calendar once a week to post a Velious thread just to see your .gifs.

TWDL_Prexus
04-04-2013, 07:11 PM
Tried the server, got my duo into the 20s. All the server did was make me appreciate the work and dedication that was put into p1999. Wake me up when EQVapor, er EQClassic launches.

pharmakos
04-04-2013, 07:23 PM

but not as much work as shaman/enchanter *shrugs*

Sephyre
04-04-2013, 09:25 PM
The negative reports from people that beta tested it just make me wonder whether it's worth putting up with a buggy/non-classic server for an endgame that isn't as ridiculous as this one.

It'll be interesting to see the population after a month or so, seems like it might drop off in a hurry if it's as bad as people are saying.

Aviann
04-04-2013, 09:36 PM
The negative reports from people that beta tested it just make me wonder whether it's worth putting up with a buggy/non-classic server for an endgame that isn't as ridiculous as this one.

It'll be interesting to see the population after a month or so, seems like it might drop off in a hurry if it's as bad as people are saying.

Shit end-game hasn't drove everyone off over here. You never know.

Anesthia
04-05-2013, 12:15 AM
Wake me up when EQVapor, er EQClassic launches.

That guy is insanely dedicated but I doubt he will ever launch a server. See my sig.

Recusco
04-05-2013, 12:30 AM
Tried the server, got my duo into the 20s. All the server did was make me appreciate the work and dedication that was put into p1999. Wake me up when EQVapor, er EQClassic launches.

Whats EQVapor?

Itap
04-05-2013, 07:41 AM
Whats EQVapor?

A joke, since most people believe eqclassic.org will never be launched. YL has been working on it for like 4 years, no beta in sight. :(

Tecmos Deception
04-05-2013, 08:07 AM
Who else found it very interesting that Rogean said the V-word ingame last night?

Yeah. I'm excited about Velious. Big whoop. Wanna fight about it?

Sularus Oth Mithas
04-05-2013, 08:10 AM
Who else found it very interesting that Rogean said the V-word ingame last night?

No but I think it may have more to do with another certain Velious server launching rather than any preparedness to launch it here.

Faerie Blossom
04-05-2013, 08:19 AM
No but I think it may have more to do with another certain Velious server launching rather than any preparedness to launch it here.

What other Velious server is launching, and is it PvP?

Taboo
04-05-2013, 08:56 AM
EQEMU Sleeper server with Velious is supposed to launch April 10th is what they are referring too.

Wish they would tell us something here or I will probably find myself jumping ship to give it a try.

Sularus Oth Mithas
04-05-2013, 09:17 AM
What other Velious server is launching, and is it PvP?

No PvP server sorry :(

Google Epicemu if you want to check it out.

pharmakos
04-05-2013, 10:23 AM

i missed it, what did he say?

Swish
04-05-2013, 10:25 AM
Rogean got on and treated people to some EQ trivia (Velious themed)... I'm terrible with it and got zero correct :D

raitheon
04-05-2013, 01:22 PM
Rogean got on and treated people to some EQ trivia (Velious themed)... I'm terrible with it and got zero correct :D

Same.

Faerie Blossom
04-05-2013, 06:42 PM
Ooh I must have missed the trivia. Anyone remember what some of the questions were? :)

Iznog
04-05-2013, 07:36 PM
Who was the god/ruler of plane of mischief, something about the 5 dragons, then what 4 giants have a chance to drop key to sleeper tomb.

Something like that

joppykid
04-05-2013, 08:46 PM
Who was the god/ruler of plane of mischief, something about the 5 dragons, then what 4 giants have a chance to drop key to sleeper tomb.

Something like that

Which 5 dragons drop the talismans for sleepers key (he wrote veeshans peak but everyone knew what he meant.) which 4 giants drop the alternative items for sleepers key and then first and last name of plane of mischief god.

Hailto
04-05-2013, 08:47 PM

other ideas?

Box combos? You're going to be waiting a long time for that.

Noselacri
04-05-2013, 10:32 PM
Hmmm, is this you?

No, I don't type like a high school dropout. Should be pretty fucking easy to tell the difference.

Noselacri
04-05-2013, 11:58 PM

I asked Kegz once and he said the raid token system would only be implemented if it becomes strictly necessary, i.e. if the endgame becomes like it has been on P99. I encouraged him to at least prepare the system beforehand and consider the possibility of implementing it from the start since the main reason people might move from P99 to The Sleeper is because raiding is basically not an option for most players here due to the monopoly. Considering the nature of players who play on emu servers, there isn't enough content in Everquest for even two dedicated raid guilds. We've seen this quite clearly here and on VZ/TZ. Any more than one raid guild and they'll be fighting over everything. Even if they could miraculously agree to share, there isn't actually enough content to go around, you wouldn't be able to have regularly scheduled raid nights.

A dynamic spawning system would do wonders and would be the thing that might save what looks to be an otherwise very mediocre server that can't hope to compete with P99 in terms of quality and support. The Sleeper could be the server where everyone gets a chance to raid, but for all their apparent dedication to launching the server, they aren't exactly a bastion of design acumen and common sense. Between that and two-boxing, it would be the server that offers everything P99 does not; I just won't put money on their ability to do anything right, judging by what I've seen so far. They're all good intentions and bad decisions.

other ideas?

Gotta consider two things with a 2-box: can it do everything well enough, and is it useful outside of just duoing? I mean, what the hell are you gonna do with two mages besides grind easy mobs? You aren't doing much in the way of high-end farming or hard quests, and you don't have a setup that people will be begging to team up with. Mages aren't exactly God's gift to raiding. Also, never 2-box two classes that need the exact same gear.

Shaman works with any melee except rogue. Monk is best for leveling, shadowknight is best for farming difficult named mobs, and warrior is kind of in-between but you get to main tank raids if you want. Shaman/ranger would actually be pretty cool, especially since Velious fixes the shitty ranger skill caps and gives them some solid disciplines.

Cleric is a pretty shitty duo class except with enchanter. Great for joining groups and raids, though. Druid is better for duoing with a chanter but not so great for raids. Shaman isn't meant to duo with a caster, but they're actually good with a mage.

Don't duo a bard unless you specifically want to have a bard character. If they do end up removing /melody, the class is basically unboxable. If they keep /melody, it'll be boxable but doesn't duo well with anybody. If you want a bard, pair it with a wizard and quad kite to infinite and beyond.

Necros are alright with druids, clerics and mages, but not the best choice for any of them. Nothing really has strong synergy with necro since they don't particularly need any buffs and rely on techniques that are hard to fit into a duo.

Swish
04-06-2013, 09:43 AM
Gotta consider two things with a 2-box: can it do everything well enough, and is it useful outside of just duoing? I mean, what the hell are you gonna do with two mages besides grind easy mobs? You aren't doing much in the way of high-end farming or hard quests, and you don't have a setup that people will be begging to team up with. Mages aren't exactly God's gift to raiding. Also, never 2-box two classes that need the exact same gear.

Because people don't read an entire thread, lets be clear and assume Noselacri is talking about the EQ Live server, not P99. He wouldn't box here, would he? ;)

Wouldn't want people thinking they can box and say in their only defence "a guy was talking about it on the forums"... word had it Zade was dropping the banhammer on red yesterday to the boxers, after giving a warning he was about to do it.

(Velious threads and people discussing 2-boxing... two big hates :mad: :mad:)

Sularus Oth Mithas
04-06-2013, 10:24 AM
Because people don't read an entire thread, lets be clear and assume Noselacri is talking about the EQ Live server, not P99. He wouldn't box here, would he? ;)

Wouldn't want people thinking they can box and say in their only defence "a guy was talking about it on the forums"... word had it Zade was dropping the banhammer on red yesterday to the boxers, after giving a warning he was about to do it.

(Velious threads and people discussing 2-boxing... two big hates :mad: :mad:)

Sleeper server is allowing boxing, that is the boxing they were discussing.

Vadd
04-06-2013, 10:36 AM
From what I gather, I see the opening of The Sleeper as being one big, huge, crazy prenerf camp fest.

Nothin wrong wit that though.

Ephirith
04-06-2013, 03:32 PM
3) we are diligently working on Velious, and hope to open beta this year.

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/C3TUWU_yg4s?hl=en_US&amp;version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/C3TUWU_yg4s?hl=en_US&amp;version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Sularus Oth Mithas
04-06-2013, 03:59 PM
<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/C3TUWU_yg4s?hl=en_US&amp;version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/C3TUWU_yg4s?hl=en_US&amp;version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Did you just wizz in Swish's cereal? I think you did.

Aviann
04-06-2013, 04:00 PM

You played the video too soon. I think a lot of us would have been heart broken had it NOT been out this year.

Treefall
04-06-2013, 05:07 PM
Necros are alright with druids, clerics and mages, but not the best choice for any of them. Nothing really has strong synergy with necro since they don't particularly need any buffs and rely on techniques that are hard to fit into a duo.

Wouldn't Necro work quite well with a Shaman? Regen heals for the Necro and Cannibalize for the Shaman mean nearly unlimited mana and no health issues for both. SoW, two pets attacking with nice buffs.

Stacking DOT's, of which the shamans packs more punch, snare from the necro and like I said SoW from the Shaman mean kiting is a breeze. The shaman has the debuff power to go toe to toe with most mobs, so there is an ability to tank and spank with kiting breaks if needed, possibly.

I would like to know why Shaman/Necro isn't an amazing combo.

Tiggles
04-06-2013, 05:14 PM
Wouldn't Necro work quite well with a Shaman? Regen heals for the Necro and Cannibalize for the Shaman mean nearly unlimited mana and no health issues for both. SoW, two pets attacking with nice buffs.

Stacking DOT's, of which the shamans packs more punch, snare from the necro and like I said SoW from the Shaman mean kiting is a breeze. The shaman has the debuff power to go toe to toe with most mobs, so there is an ability to tank and spank with kiting breaks if needed, possibly.

No FD and if the necro can solo break a camp he can most likely solo it then so no need for the shaman.

Monk/shaman is good because the monk can pull and DPS and the shaman can keep him up.

Necros don't really need anyone

Swish
04-06-2013, 05:39 PM
NOOOOOOO!!!!!!! :(

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Eal4fep7pK4?hl=en_US&amp;version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Eal4fep7pK4?hl=en_US&amp;version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Noselacri
04-06-2013, 05:40 PM

It would be alright, but it wouldn't really be an amazing duo. Most of what the shaman can do is wasted -- you won't need all those melee buffs, and most necro spells have resist modifiers so the malo line isn't a big deal. Regen would help the necro but wouldn't enable new strategies or anything, he'd just have to lifetap less often. They'd function together but there's almost no synergy, pairing them up doesn't combine into something greater than the sum of its parts like you'd get with shaman/monk or druid/enchanter.

The necro won't be able to use FD as a survival thing because he'll just train the shaman. Dots generally don't work too well in a duo but both classes are mainly dot-based. Strong solo classes usually don't make good duos because they're too self-sufficient to have synergy with others, the exception being shaman+melee. Necros just don't need anything from anybody and don't benefit much from anything that other classes bring. You might as well solo a necro and level faster, or duo shaman/shadowknight.

Faerie Blossom
04-06-2013, 05:52 PM
Does anyone know if the server will allow halfling rangers, and such? Without PvP this would be like the only reason to play over Red99.

Swish
04-06-2013, 05:55 PM
Did you just wizz in Swish's cereal? I think you did.

Realistically then, actual release will be 2014 - which I can live with... and there's now no need for any more threads on the subject :)

Ele
04-06-2013, 05:57 PM
Does anyone know if the server will allow halfling rangers, and such? Without PvP this would be like the only reason to play over Red99.

Halfling hybrids and gnome hybrids came almost 4 months after Luclin, so unless they release it as custom content in 2-4 years, the answer is no.

Kieu
04-06-2013, 06:02 PM

cheers

formallydickman
04-06-2013, 10:54 PM
http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=104640

Cyrano
04-07-2013, 01:16 AM
I played into velious on EQMac, P99 players going to this new server will be disappointed due to the lack of difficulty in the mechanics. Whoever said P99 just needs to fix a few huge gaffes is correct, you can't beat this server in terms of hitting on what the target audience (EQclassic folks) and the only real problems spawn from how knowledgable and dedicated the player-base is coupled with ridiculous guild politics that have pushed previous members of the Dev Team to quit.

The simple truth is that P99 is too competitive and that competitiveness has single handedly hamstrung the development of the server. Unfortunately I was part of the group that built that culture and it seems to be continuing long after my time as a player. The raid mob token idea from Sleeper is interesting, it basically creates instances in a game w/o them but I think it would have to be managed carefully and you would have to institute some kind of payment for them - such as implementing a grind quest that yielded spawn tokens - but honestly I would like to see rotations implemented on P99. I think it would make this server way more enjoyable for many more people than the few with a stranglehold at the top.

Kieu
04-07-2013, 10:55 AM
The raid mob token idea from Sleeper is interesting, it basically creates instances in a game w/o them but I think it would have to be managed carefully and you would have to institute some kind of payment for them - such as implementing a grind quest that yielded spawn tokens - but honestly I would like to see rotations implemented on P99. I think it would make this server way more enjoyable for many more people than the few with a stranglehold at the top.

The reason I play EQ is because it doesn't have dumb instances. Competition is what drives people, whether or not you believe it does. The poopsockers are what keeps the end game in surplus. Rotations are a cry out for catering to players too scared to do what they could be doing. Unfortunately, that is how I will look at it. Live wasn't any different. There might not have been spawn variations, but let me tell ya I did my fair share of poopsocking on live to keep what was ours, ours.

Sularus Oth Mithas
04-07-2013, 11:05 AM
The reason I play EQ is because it doesn't have dumb instances. Competition is what drives people, whether or not you believe it does. The poopsockers are what keeps the end game in surplus. Rotations are a cry out for catering to players too scared to do what they could be doing. Unfortunately, that is how I will look at it. Live wasn't any different. There might not have been spawn variations, but let me tell ya I did my fair share of poopsocking on live to keep what was ours, ours.

They're not instances, they're basically tokens that will spawn a mob. Semantics I know.

This may be P99 but it's not 1999 - some of us don't have the time, nor the inclination to play that way anymore. Not knocking you for liking it, I totally get it. I like the option of tokens, and truly they may never come into play on Sleeper unless the pop takes off and it becomes an issue.

I'm going to give it a shot and see how it plays out, but I'll still be here as well. I enjoy the true classic things here, I just wish I would have come here back in '09.

Doors
04-07-2013, 11:15 AM
Rotations are a cry out for catering to players too scared to do what they could be doing.

Yeah scared isn't really the word. Most people that played EQ back when were a lot younger. The majority of us have jobs these days, I'm not sitting on a spawn for 70 hours or logging in at 4am to kill a raid mob.

Faerie Blossom
04-07-2013, 11:19 AM
*advertises Red99 as alternative to blue poopsock "competition"*

Innovative
04-07-2013, 12:06 PM
Yeah scared isn't really the word. Most people that played EQ back when were a lot younger. The majority of us have jobs these days, I'm not sitting on a spawn for 70 hours or logging in at 4am to kill a raid mob.

^^. That among other things is why I longer play P99. You get 60 and if you don't live and breathe P99 there's nothing to do.

I just created an account on EpicEmu. Says they have 1720 users. I think the launch in a few days is going to be pretty fun.

Kieu
04-07-2013, 12:07 PM

I have a job nowadays too. I didn't have to worry about that when I was playing back then, but when I raided in vanilla wow I did. There was a ton of competition for world bosses back then, and they were pretty random on pops. Like I said, If you can't handle getting up randomly to do it don't pull the age card because it is not 'age' orientated. That is just your preference. A lot of people would gladly rush up to do shit, even with work the next morning.

Tecmos Deception
04-07-2013, 12:20 PM
You get 60 and if you don't live and breathe P99 there's nothing to do.

Bye!

Sularus Oth Mithas
04-07-2013, 12:30 PM
I have a job nowadays too. I didn't have to worry about that when I was playing back then, but when I raided in vanilla wow I did. There was a ton of competition for world bosses back then, and they were pretty random on pops. Like I said, If you can't handle getting up randomly to do it don't pull the age card because it is not 'age' orientated. That is just your preference. A lot of people would gladly rush up to do shit, even with work the next morning.

Not so much age as priorities. I will still play late nights and lose sleep if I am having fun. I might even occasionally go in for a batphone raid but in general I'd prefer not to anymore. I don't mind spending 3 days camping something, possibly more because I won't sit there for 72 hours straight. If I miss it, oh well. In general same applies for end game.

If a server is going to offer me a shot at content I want without having to be "on call" 24/7 for a raid then I'm in. Like I said I'll play both, time isn't a factor, I work hard, I work a lot and this is how I choose to spend my off time. If it wasn't this it would be another MMO or game.

I don't have a problem with your philosophy so much as you seem to think it's the only one to have.

Kieu
04-07-2013, 12:43 PM
Not so much age as priorities. I will still play late nights and lose sleep if I am having fun. I might even occasionally go in for a batphone raid but in general I'd prefer not to anymore. I don't mind spending 3 days camping something, possibly more because I won't sit there for 72 hours straight. If I miss it, oh well. In general same applies for end game.

If a server is going to offer me a shot at content I want without having to be "on call" 24/7 for a raid then I'm in. Like I said I'll play both, time isn't a factor, I work hard, I work a lot and this is how I choose to spend my off time. If it wasn't this it would be another MMO or game.

I don't have a problem with your philosophy so much as you seem to think it's the only one to have.

Well it was a response to someone else, but I don't consider it the only one to have. It is the only one here though, why would it change to something non-classic? Sure raid spawn variations aren't classic but it would not change much at all if they weren't. It more than anything promotes what it should, variance lol

There are always other games, not like I am telling you play EQ anyhow. I see no reason to change something that worked for EQ for years. It is half the reason I play, and played back then. I'm not a fan of instancing, my opinion. Competition is always fun, however I did love vanilla wow which had instancing. Back in the day, it had world bosses as well that were "must have" kills for certain raids to get resist gear.

Stormhowl
04-07-2013, 01:09 PM
Rotations are a cry out for catering to players too scared to do what they could be doing.

You make it sound like rotations are handing mob kills to players, and that they won't have to do the work to get there.

Kieu
04-07-2013, 01:27 PM
You make it sound like rotations are handing mob kills to players, and that they won't have to do the work to get there.

Maybe because it is handing mobs kills to players? lol Explain to me how it isn't.

Sularus Oth Mithas
04-07-2013, 01:41 PM
Well it was a response to someone else, but I don't consider it the only one to have. It is the only one here though, why would it change to something non-classic? Sure raid spawn variations aren't classic but it would not change much at all if they weren't. It more than anything promotes what it should, variance lol

There are always other games, not like I am telling you play EQ anyhow. I see no reason to change something that worked for EQ for years. It is half the reason I play, and played back then. I'm not a fan of instancing, my opinion. Competition is always fun, however I did love vanilla wow which had instancing. Back in the day, it had world bosses as well that were "must have" kills for certain raids to get resist gear.

Sorry I misrepresented what you said there. You are right it is the only one to have here. I would never want to see that change. The fact that this is about as classic as it gets is why it works and why it is the most populated. It's also why I am happy to play both, I just don't want to operate on that level here. I'm having fun with the journey right now though, we'll see what happens at end game :)

fufanux
04-11-2013, 03:55 AM
Seems surprising that this server is still operating with no Velious or boxing. Maybe if you guys were open to those ideas, you would have a more stable player-base?

Enjoy the circle-jerk of non-classic eq.

Ciroco
04-11-2013, 01:21 PM
Seems surprising that this server is still operating with no Velious or boxing. Maybe if you guys were open to those ideas, you would have a more stable player-base?

I'm pretty sure boxing would have the opposite effect.

Hollywood
04-11-2013, 05:19 PM
EQ Classic will be finished and have launched before Velious comes to P99.

Unidus
04-11-2013, 05:22 PM
To bad EQ Classic sucks cock.

letsallkillandy
04-11-2013, 06:17 PM
I'm pretty sure boxing would have the opposite effect.

I play here specifically because there is no boxing allowed.