PDA

View Full Version : lack of rogue threads

tommydgun
04-02-2013, 12:58 PM
so i rolled a rogue and am having a blast, but before when i was a monk i noticed all these monk threads and even when i made a ranger, a ton of ranger threads, and now that im a rogue i notice there are literally no rogue threads.

do you guys think this is just because rogues are the most straight forward simple class ever or because less people play rogues?

also side note: i was looking at the rogue epic, it is such an easy quest i am surprised people MQ it at all / it even costs 50kp to begin with. looking forward to actually completing an epic the real way.

Cars
04-02-2013, 01:10 PM
Yeah. Stand behind mob, backstab. If no groups available, find ranger or druid to snare, intimidate mobs, backstab. There is nothing to write about really.

Tecmos Deception
04-02-2013, 01:19 PM
Yeah. Stand behind mob, backstab. If no groups available, find ranger or druid to snare, intimidate mobs, backstab. There is nothing to write about really.

Ranger and intimidate.

:cool:

tommydgun
04-02-2013, 01:25 PM
yeah, dont have intimidate yet but i cant wait. also with a SBD in offhand you can pretty much group fear kite with any mob i imagine, cant wait to try it out. or just jboots and fight giants. pretty much any class that can snare or heal is ideal with a rogue.

i am struggling a bit in groups at the moment because evade is pretty unreliable at level 15 and i do absurd damage so i constantly take aggro and get walloped... love rogues :P

Tecmos Deception
04-02-2013, 01:30 PM
Intimidate is awesome for like a 10-level window where it is at/near the max skill for rogues and xp mobs are also still low enough that it actually works. I'd say from like 35-45 you can fear maybe 1/2 of the time or more, but once mobs are level 40+ it hardly ever works at all.

Duo with a necro is pretty great xp though, if you don't mind chasing stuff around all the time. Lots of dps and no damage taken, basically no downtime at all since all the necro needs to do is use maybe dooming + a fear + a lifetap to keep hp up for lich for each fight. Plus you aren't stuck with a ranger/SK/bard xp penalty, even though the same duo with any of those would still work out alright.

Swish
04-02-2013, 10:40 PM
Work on your bind wound at every opportunity, sounds lame... but keeping that capped is a good thing :)

Dezik
04-05-2013, 11:46 AM
This is a good questions.. I don't really see how rogues are much more simple than any other melee.. Having a couple spells on a ranger does not make it terribly more complicated or strategy intensive.. Give me a break.. I think rogues are pretty underplayed from what I've seen but not at the level of paladins or rangers..

Anyways, there are tons of tips and tricks to playing a rogue effectively.. Learn how to judge mobs hit boxes, know when / how to evade, pick pocket, disarm ect.. Would be nice to try to create an up to date rogue guide

Cecily
04-08-2013, 04:39 PM
Stay focused. Best tip I can give you. Don't go AFK during fights or at all if you can help it.

Cecily
04-08-2013, 05:15 PM
looking forward to actually completing an epic the real way.
I like you alot.

tommydgun
04-09-2013, 09:20 AM
I like you alot.

:)

wole9
04-09-2013, 04:34 PM
I am brand new to p99 and have little experience/memories of playing everquest, I am interested in rolling up a rogue but have vague recollections about the class being impossible to do anything with solo and having a high gear requirement to remain relevant. Is it feasible to play as a rogue from the get go or will it just be a trial in masochism? Would it just be better to begin a more independent class such as a necromancer and just eventually work towards supplementing a rogue? I guess I am just worried about not being able to find a group.

Tecmos Deception
04-09-2013, 07:51 PM
You can do a rogue from scratch, yeah. People are used to seeing level 10 rogues with a fungi and their epic, but most people won't refuse to invite you to an xp group if you aren't one of those rogues.

But even with godly gear, rogues are still incredibly dependent on others to do anything. If you're in a big guild, or you have a bunch of friends on the server, it's not too bad. Personally I only got a rogue to 60 because I could solo 1-45ish because of twinking and because I played on red and also had my chanter to distract me when I was sick of sitting around /lfg on the rogue.

Dezik
04-10-2013, 02:47 AM
Rogue is loads of fun ignore the haters

tommydgun
04-10-2013, 12:59 PM
I am brand new to p99 and have little experience/memories of playing everquest, I am interested in rolling up a rogue but have vague recollections about the class being impossible to do anything with solo and having a high gear requirement to remain relevant. Is it feasible to play as a rogue from the get go or will it just be a trial in masochism? Would it just be better to begin a more independent class such as a necromancer and just eventually work towards supplementing a rogue? I guess I am just worried about not being able to find a group.

i would recommend a barb rogue to a newb for sure. when i came to p99 in january, i first rolled a monk and i did just fine. i compare to a monk because many would say monk gear is more expensive than rogue gear and on top of that you cant really collect loot without taking an AC penalty. in groups you will make much more money for one. also decent rogue weapons are pretty cheap which will mean you can do decent dps for little cost and by being a barb you will have high starting strength so you will hit as hard as twinked rogues with lower base strength. for example crystalline spear is like 1k plat and its 13/30, and 13 is the highest dmg rating for a piercer aside from epic. i know 1k seems like a lot but you can make that fairly quickly.

hope this helped.

wole9
04-10-2013, 03:49 PM
Thanks for the replies, I am going to give it a shot. Unfortunately I have a strange necessity to be a halfelf rogue :(. Would you all be able to recommend any low end primaries for whenever I decide to sell a hoard of hq bear pelts/spiderling silk?

SamwiseRed
04-10-2013, 06:47 PM
rogue guide:

get group

position yourself behind mob

backstab

dont agro

tommydgun
04-11-2013, 09:45 AM
Thanks for the replies, I am going to give it a shot. Unfortunately I have a strange necessity to be a halfelf rogue :(. Would you all be able to recommend any low end primaries for whenever I decide to sell a hoard of hq bear pelts/spiderling silk?

just some ideas:

gloomwater harpoon (9/31), harpoon of the depths (8/25), serrated bone dirk (8/27) (proc level 27 snare)

each of the above ranges from 50-100p, i wouldnt pay more than 50 for any of the above if i were you and if people realize how crap ur gear is they probably will just give it to you for free (i would if i had them)

the next tier of decent piercers would be in the 1k range:

crystalline spear (13/30), trak tooth (10/20), slime coated harpoon (10/25). all +/- a few hundred plat

if i were you id strive to get gloomwater harpoon x2 at low level because thats only 100p and u will get +8str and +50hp total. good luck bro. PM me if you want and ill give you my in game name if you need to chat.

SirAlvarex
04-11-2013, 02:26 PM
Rogues are Warriors are the toughest to level without gear simply because they can't solo during the "LFG" hours. But that doesn't mean they cant' be fun.

Just remember that a Rogue is the ultimate duo partner for like half the classes in the game. Bard, Druid, Necro, and SK can all fear kite and your DPS would be a god send for them. Shamans would appreciate someone to help kill their mobs while slow tanking. Even a monk would work great as a duo partner as long as he can keep aggro. Paladins can do the same, but they're damage output means you'd have to kill lower level mobs or see a lot of downtime to med up.

As a Bard I find my best XP to come when I duo with a rogue. Hell, most rogues do so much DPS we can actually fear kite in some dungeons safely.

Basically, don't be deadset on "the holy trinity + 3" groups. I sometimes see groups not even attempt to get started because they're missing a classic tank or heal class. The ability to improvise is what makes EQ so great.

Malone88
04-12-2013, 01:20 PM
Love rogues in groups.

Lazy Necros (like me) love rogue pets....err...partners in duos.