PDA

View Full Version : Wiki price accuracy

Woahnelly
04-03-2013, 05:43 PM
Are the wiki prices really that far off? I've been using recent transactions as a rough guide for buying, but the sellers look at me like I'm insane when I make an offer. I understand that there has been some inflation, but 30-50%?! Is the economy really that shitty?

Itap
04-03-2013, 05:52 PM
You answered your own question. Look at the wiki prices, and add 30-50%, depending on the item. It's a sellers market right now. IMO, save all the plat you can now, and buy during summer :p

Ephirith
04-03-2013, 06:28 PM
Depends on the item. There are also a few sellers you want to avoid... they sit in the tunnel and scoop up items at the low end of their price range, then resale them at high prices. Spend enough time in the tunnel and you'll learn who they are.

For some reason some items haven't appreciated much, while others have tripled in price. Your best bet is to just be patient until you find the item you want for an acceptable price, or farm it yourself.

Ele
04-03-2013, 06:34 PM
There is also the issue of items only being listed on the wiki when they have an advertised price. Those people reselling talk the price down from that and never list one and make you guess what they will accept.

Ravhin
04-04-2013, 05:14 PM
Any suggestions to make the wiki auctiontracker prices more accurate? I can think of:

1. include "Buying" / "WTB" prices on equal footing with "WTS" prices

2. let people just input prices on the wiki pages, bypassing the auction logs entirely (would anyone do bother to do this? would this be abused?)

3. convince Rogean to give the wiki access to some anonymized feed of actual trades that happen in EC ( :) )

Bidoof
04-04-2013, 05:31 PM
I like #1, its a good idea, if doable.

The problem with #2, letting people input stuff on the wiki, is that you'd have people (there's always one) willing to fudge entries to make something they want to sell seem more expense, or the opposite if they're WTB. Of course, if people could input, I'm sure someone could then edit, but then you'd run into dirty edits. Not saying the current system can't fall for this, but this would make it easier.

The problem with #3 would be implementation. How would the parser know if someone's getting a "friend deal"? Or someone is including more money for a previous trade? Or the people are trading multiple items for plat? Its a good idea (I don't mind anonymous data being used this way), it'd just be a matter of if they want to do this.

I think #4, the best choice, is if more people upload their logs to the wiki. Here's the link. (http://wiki.project1999.org/Special:AuctionTracker)

Swish
04-04-2013, 05:38 PM
If you sit in EC for 1-2 hours a day you'll get a feel for what the prices are. There's no other surefire way of being able to look at a log and say "that's spot on". Doesn't hurt to ask guildies as well, get a few opinions from other journeyman traders in your guild and take an average :p

Woahnelly
04-04-2013, 06:13 PM
There are a lot of items that you don't see for sale everyday, so how would you know what the price is then?

you see 3 fungi tunics advertised for 80k in an hour without being sold. Are they worth less than 80k or are there no interested buyers at that time?

Swish
04-04-2013, 06:52 PM
There are a lot of items that you don't see for sale everyday, so how would you know what the price is then?

EDIT:- www.ahungry.com -> click "EQ auctions" (a direct link seems to be removing the / at the moment for some reason)

Look at what's been listed for a certain item (I'm aware it doesn't "catch all" auctions because it needs uploaders), it goes back a long way... so you can track inflation, or items that are ridiculously overinflated.

Try typing an item in and see what comes up.

Sularus Oth Mithas
04-04-2013, 06:57 PM
I spend a fair amount of time in EC and most things on the Wiki seem to reflect what I see them going for in /Auc.

I'm sure there are exceptions but I always reference the wiki with what I see things going for.

Woahnelly
04-04-2013, 08:08 PM
That ahungry sight is great! Thanks swish!!

pharmakos
04-04-2013, 08:49 PM
WHOA

i just realized that documenting advertised prices may actually cause prices to increase over time.

mind blown.

Swish
04-04-2013, 09:01 PM
That ahungry sight is great! Thanks swish!!

I haven't seen him post lately but give a big /thank to Tristantio (http://www.project1999.org/forums/member.php?u=11020), he's the guy who put it together - I find it very handy :)

Lagaidh
04-05-2013, 08:50 AM
The wiki prices are really just a guide, not a table of facts. There are some things I farm that have low prices on the wiki, but in practice, people are almost always willing to pay double (I'm talking low end items < 1000p). On other items, I price below the wiki because it may facilitate a quicker sale, or I personally think the wiki is flat out wrong. I spend a lot of time in the tunnel, and like others mention, you get a feel for prices.

I am always willing to negotiate a price. I wish that were more commonplace. I send out my /auc lines with prices because I prefer to be direct, but many folks won't even offer if they don't like the price. I've had to tell more than one person that they should make a counter offer.

You never know. Someone may take the offer.

Sularus Oth Mithas
04-05-2013, 09:23 AM
I am always willing to negotiate a price. I wish that were more commonplace. I send out my /auc lines with prices because I prefer to be direct, but many folks won't even offer if they don't like the price. I've had to tell more than one person that they should make a counter offer.

You never know. Someone may take the offer.

Truth. Being fairly new I was haggling for a Wu stick for my monk. I had taken everything I could sell up to that point such as bone chips, pelts etc and saved enough for one if it was being sold on the low end.

Turned out that not only did I negotiate a cheaper price for it, but when the person and I got to talking and they found out I was new they handed over a some other monk items along with the stick during the trade. Which was very cool of them, and really helped me cement my monk as my main from that point out. It's tough to gear up at the start but if you negotiate and don't beg people will surprise you, and help those that help themselves.

NizmerThafen
04-06-2013, 04:12 PM
Are the wiki prices really that far off? I've been using recent transactions as a rough guide for buying, but the sellers look at me like I'm insane when I make an offer. I understand that there has been some inflation, but 30-50%?! Is the economy really that shitty?

Over all the item prices are stable or move up and down in a way that does accurately reflect supply and demand. As the server shifts mostly to high-levels (50+) the demand for the best droppable loot goes up extremely high as well, therefore the prices on End-game loot reflects that demand. Is it annoying? Yes.

Shaman prices for high end loot / spell is by far the worst. Why? Shamans are over powered and easy to level so people make a lot of shamans. High demand.

Sularus Oth Mithas
04-06-2013, 04:14 PM
Over all the item prices are stable or move up and down in a way that does accurately reflect supply and demand. As the server shifts mostly to high-levels (50+) the demand for the best droppable loot goes up extremely high as well, therefore the prices on Eng-game loot reflects that demand. Is it annoying? Yes.

Shaman prices for high end loot / spell is by far the worst. Why? Shamans are over powered and easy to level so people make a lot of shamans. High demand.

Sad but true. As a new player I shelved my shaman when I saw the prices of JBB and Torpor. There is no way as a new player I am going to amass that amount of cash and if I did those wouldn't be the things I would spend it on.