PDA

View Full Version : I want to start playing this, but I have a few questions

IceTwenty
04-06-2013, 02:36 PM
1) Is EverQuest Titanium the ONLY way to play Project 1999? I have the EverQuest Trilogy set (Base + RoK on one disk, Scars of Velious on another disk) and EverQuest Evolution (all expansions up to LDoN) but if that won't work, I'll just have to get my hands on EQ Titanium somehow.

2) I understand that there's only RoK + base game content in this, but what about non-gameplay stuff like UI changes, graphics updates, nerfs/buffs to classes? Or is everything identical to how EQ was when RoK launched?

3) Are there plans to release further expansions? Obviously the point of this is to stay in the "golden age" of EQ (so I'm guessing no Planes of Power), but does that mean it'll stay in RoK forever?

Sirken
04-06-2013, 02:45 PM
1) yes

2) there are different UIs available. we have not yet been able to force players to use the classic-kunark UI

3) we are diligently working on Velious, and hope to open beta this year.

Welcome to Project1999!

IceTwenty
04-06-2013, 03:22 PM
Cool. Working on getting Titanium installed right now (I found it), so I should be up and running fairly soon.

This is going to be an interesting bit of nostalgia combined with new experiences - on the one hand, I played EQ between Ykesha and GoD being the newest expansions, and that was an amazing experience that opened me up to MMOs in general (I spent four years in EQ2 and three years in WoW after that). On the other hand, I was 11 years old when I started playing, had no idea what I was doing, got a Rogue up to level 36 and considered that to be high level, and never made a character that didn't start in Kelethin or Felwithe (and even the odd human/gnome/dwarf I made wound up traveling to those zones, because Greater Faydark was just my favorite zone and Kelethin my favorite city). So rolling something like, say, a Human Shadowknight or an Erudite Wizard is gonna be a pretty new experience for me.

IceTwenty
04-06-2013, 03:43 PM
Oh, one more thing I forgot to ask: Is there anything I'm gonna need to do to make this game look better on a 16:9 monitor? One of the biggest problems I have when trying to play older PC games is that they either get stretched badly or letterboxed, since they were made in a time when 1024x768 was considered very high resolution.

Sularus Oth Mithas
04-06-2013, 03:58 PM
Oh, one more thing I forgot to ask: Is there anything I'm gonna need to do to make this game look better on a 16:9 monitor? One of the biggest problems I have when trying to play older PC games is that they either get stretched badly or letterboxed, since they were made in a time when 1024x768 was considered very high resolution.

It supports new resolutions.

IceTwenty
04-06-2013, 04:03 PM
I'm not seeing any option for a 16:9 resolution in the options of the game, though.

I can get the game running in a window, but the resolution makes the text really hard to read, and trying to make it go fullscreen causes it to crash. I'll look around and see if I'm missing something obvious.

Ephirith
04-06-2013, 04:05 PM
I'm not seeing any option for a 16:9 resolution in the options of the game, though.

I can get the game running in a window, but the resolution makes the text really hard to read, and trying to make it go fullscreen causes it to crash. I'll look around and see if I'm missing something obvious.

I play 1920x1080 just fine, but I do increase the size of the text with /chatfontsize

I use the Lavish WinEQ

Options for 16:9 are found in Options -> Display -> Video Modes button, and then whichever 16:9 resolution suits you.

Sularus Oth Mithas
04-06-2013, 04:05 PM
Hmmm I use 1920 x 1080 both full and windowed. Try using alt+enter to make it fullscreen. I've had it crash when I changed settings before then it corrected itself.

IceTwenty
04-06-2013, 04:17 PM
I did get it to run at 1920x1080 using WinEQ, but it wouldn't display any of the servers. But when I launch using EQEmulator, I can connect to the server, but I can't change the resolution any higher than 1600x1200.

Edit: And now I can't launch the game at all if WinEQ is running. I probably did something wrong somewhere...

Kieu
04-06-2013, 04:24 PM

You can manually edit the eqclient.ini to the windowed/fullscreen height/width of your choosing. Just make sure they're both set to the same aspect or it'll crash. I've had people that couldn't even alt tab because the game chooses to make the windowed a resolution that isnt wide-screened. This will result in crashes.

Hopefully this helps a bit, hard to find any information on this it seems. I just knew to do it from prior eq gaming in the past.

IceTwenty
04-06-2013, 04:32 PM
Nevermind, got it working!

San
04-06-2013, 04:35 PM
Let us know your characters name. Some might be able to swing by and give ya some buffs. Although if you are used to Kelethin / Felwithe and end up starting elsewhere it may take a bit to figure out where you are going first lol.

IceTwenty
04-06-2013, 08:25 PM
Sindaine, High Elf Wizard. I won't be playing until later tonight though (typing this on my lunch break at work).

It's so nostalgic though - I was walking around, fixing up my controls, looking for my class trainer... and I wound up punching a guard by mistake and died horribly. Ahh, the memories...

Kieu
04-06-2013, 09:07 PM
Sindaine, High Elf Wizard. I won't be playing until later tonight though (typing this on my lunch break at work).

It's so nostalgic though - I was walking around, fixing up my controls, looking for my class trainer... and I wound up punching a guard by mistake and died horribly. Ahh, the memories...

haha! About as bad as forgetting I had killed in CB and running into the Neriak Warrior temple, insta death. God loves me.

Sularus Oth Mithas
04-06-2013, 09:17 PM
haha! About as bad as forgetting I had killed in CB and running into the Neriak Warrior temple, insta death. God loves me.

First thing I did was put my hand to WASD and turned on auto attack. Second thing I did was remove that keybind ;)