PDA

View Full Version : rangers?

rioisk
06-25-2010, 12:59 AM
What do you think Verant had in mind when they created rangers? I mean, they're a warrior/druid hybrid....but they wear chain like rogues and get hide/sneak....and duel wield/DA like warriors and rogues.....and they have taunt....

I just think they weren't very well thought-out as to what their role would be....I mean....why give them taunt when they take damage like a rogue.

RKromwell
06-25-2010, 01:10 AM
/shrug

Rangers are all I play. Until RoK came out, they could tank just as well as a warrior. The lower Def and crappy items combined with how hard mobs hit in RoK killed that for us. Still, they can off tank when times are rough and if you are an idiot caster that can't keep aggro low, a ranger will save you every time. Hide is only good for going afk in a bad area, we can't move with it. A well played ranger is like a swiss army knife. There is a use for everything we have.

twincannon
06-25-2010, 08:37 AM
Taunt is good for ghetto root CC

Cogwell
06-25-2010, 09:07 AM
Rangers were actually the last class designed. They were only put in the game after the Developers came up with the Death Touch ability for bosses.

Akame
06-25-2010, 09:18 AM
Rangers were actually the last class designed. They were only put in the game after the Developers came up with the Death Touch ability for bosses.

+1

Ripcord
06-25-2010, 09:22 AM
See krom knows.. Everytime I say I can tank just fine I get lol'd at, until the cleric says wow you're tanking better then my last 5 tanks. Root owns everything atm. But haters gonna hate so let em.

Cogwell
06-25-2010, 09:31 AM
Honestly, we know what rangers can do. It's just that you guys have such a huge Napoleon complex that we can't help ourselves.

fastboy21
06-25-2010, 09:31 AM
Rangers are pretty much just lifted (like much of EQ) from the same template as the dungeons and dragons template...chain armor only, combo of war and druid abilities, some wilderness abilities (hide and sneak in EQ work everywhere for Ranger...this is just the mechanic).

The ranger wasn't introduced to fill any game play balance void, but rather to give players who are in-love with the Ranger class a home in EQ. It is a traditional part of any RPG thanks to Aragorn and JRR Tolkien, and many fans love to be part of it.

Also, remember that Brad McQuaid was/is a ranger (Aradune)...so the ranger class always got some special attention and love for that reason.

Cogwell
06-25-2010, 09:36 AM
It should be noted that Rangers are the absolutely the most OP class ever in the entire history of EQ right now on live. No, I'm not joking.

dag86
06-25-2010, 09:48 AM
See krom knows.. Everytime I say I can tank just fine I get lol'd at, until the cleric says wow you're tanking better then my last 5 tanks. Root owns everything atm. But haters gonna hate so let em.

As a lower lvl ranger who finds myself forced into that tanking roll a lot lately due to a lack of Knight/Warrior tanks wandering about, I'd love to know what your process is for being a good ranger tank.

Thanks.

eqholmes
06-25-2010, 10:04 AM
As a lower lvl ranger who finds myself forced into that tanking roll a lot lately due to a lack of Knight/Warrior tanks wandering about, I'd love to know what your process is for being a good ranger tank.

Thanks.

Rather easy, when you pull use harm if more than one, then flame them. After in camp you root and get as close in melee range as you can since root = closest target to middle of npc will have agro no matter what. I know I tank better than most sk/pals even at 38, but this is due to yak/fbss and having 1350hp unbuffed at 38. Also rangers are amazing for CC, when if i pull 2 or 3 i just tank and ghetto mez (root off).

Holmes 50 Nerco DA
Gretzky 38 Ranger DA

spelling***

Ripcord
06-25-2010, 10:23 AM
Yea what's said above.. Also I know gear is limited but until like mid 40s I say always pick ac over any stat. The ac mitigation helps much more the str/agi/dex. Examples are ac hp rings over jagged bands, azure sleeves, hero/ivy bracers over granite, just max ac whenever possible until 40s and then switch to str/dex/hp/resists. With the xp penalty I had time to farm specific gear while slowly leveling heh.

Kinamur1999
06-25-2010, 12:59 PM
It should be noted that Rangers are the absolutely the most OP class ever in the entire history of EQ right now on live. No, I'm not joking.

Zilo doesn't count