PDA

View Full Version : Stein of Moggok Quest

HippoNipple
06-25-2010, 12:03 PM
I was looking for a good resource to figure out how to get this item. I remember it being fairly cheap for how powerful it was.

As a gnome necro I don't even think I can do the quest alone. Is it possible to hand some quest items to an ogre friend or level 1 character of my own to complete this quest? Does anyone have a guide on how to complete this quest by yourself without evil races or enchanter class character?

Reiker
06-25-2010, 12:06 PM
It's not worth it if you're not an enchanter. You would need to spend 100x more time raising faction in Erudin, Freeport, Rivervale, and Oggok than it would take you to farm the 300pp to buy one.

Edit: Also, it takes like 30 seconds to look the quest up on allakhazam to see the items are no drop and the factions you would need to raise to complete the it. A post wasn't really necessary.

Excision Rottun
06-25-2010, 12:19 PM
Either level and Enchanter to 12(?) I think it is where you have the necessary illusions / faction spells.

Or buy one for 300pp

Mady
06-25-2010, 12:25 PM
That's about the level a friend of mine did it with his enchanter.

Reiker
06-25-2010, 12:30 PM
An Agnostic Dark Elf Enchanter could do it as early as level 4 (Illusion Human) on Live, although I'm not sure for P99 as faction is a little different.

FatMagic
06-25-2010, 01:52 PM
You definitely can't do it as a Gnome Necro without TONS of faction work (as previously stated).

And generally you need the spell Alliance at level 8 as a DE Agnostic Enchanter to get this to work, most of the time your faction with Clurg is not as good as it should be to fully hand in the quest. Alliance helps to close that gap.

If you need direction on the quest for P99... just PM me. I can explain the process. I've got it down pat. It will take a good amount of time to complete on your own.

Or I can sell you one for 300pp :)

HippoNipple
06-25-2010, 01:58 PM
Well I have looked over the quest requirements and I'm going to try to come up with as many of the items x2 as I can: the nut, the fish, the jum juice, etc. on my own and then try to find a level 8 enchanter to help me do the quest twice.

If I get a human warrior to level 3, and a halfling to 2 or so, it looks like I can do the quest pretty quickly with the help of a level 8 enchanter.

I just started yesterday and I don't have the 300pp. A Stein of moggok is a great starting item too.. that should last me for quite some time.

As of now I'm only level 7 so I will probably wait until level 12, then find a partner thats a DE Enchanter 8+ to go through it twice. One question I do have is what items are No Drop that I will not be able to provide for the enchanter before hand?

Thanks for the input guys.

Excision Rottun
06-25-2010, 02:06 PM
I started my Necro when the server launched, when no one had any money to throw around.

I made 250pp for mine by level 12.

That honestly may be easier / quicker for you than trying to level 3 chars and get help to quest it

Also, it is lore, why are you trying to get 2?

You might be thinking of the other one, Crude Stein. (http://lucy.allakhazam.com/item.html?id=13355)

HippoNipple
06-25-2010, 02:09 PM
Well I figured the level 8 enchanter who helped me would want one as well. Plus if I'm going through it all it seems like getting 2x the quest items woudl be pretty quick.

Reiker
06-25-2010, 02:09 PM
Erud's Tonic
Koalindl Fish
Honey Jum
Bartender's Compendium

Read http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/quest.html?quest=13 and stop looking lazy/dumb.

HippoNipple
06-25-2010, 02:35 PM
^

Yeah whatever dude, after looking at the site you mentioned it says you need level 8 dark elf enchanter, which goes against what you said from the beginning so maybe you should take some of your own advice

guineapig
06-25-2010, 02:38 PM
Well I have looked over the quest requirements and I'm going to try to come up with as many of the items x2 as I can: the nut, the fish, the jum juice, etc. on my own and then try to find a level 8 enchanter to help me do the quest twice.
Everything is lore besides the Kiola Nut.
They are also No Drop.

surbated
06-25-2010, 02:54 PM
Reiker's post is mostly correct, except you need four items (the three he listed, an a nut you get from OOT). The four items are what you turn in to get the Compendium. The compendium is what you turn in to get the stein.

It is not possible to do what you describe, and have your theoretical enchanter friend do the turns in with your mats. As people have mentioned, most of the items involved with the quest are LORE and some are NO DROP.

My advice to you would be to either a) just pay the 250-300p for one, or b) level an agnostic enchanter to 8 (if DE) or 12 (if something else) for the express purpose of doing this quest. Not only will you have your stein, but if you run it a couple of times, you will have some nice seed money to start off whatever classes you actually want to play.

Since I'm a nice guy, below is a quick overview of the chain.

1. Get honey jum (3x honeycombs + 3pp, turn them in at Rivervale). Honey Jum is LORE, but tradeable.

2. Get Kiola nut (purchasable for a few gold from sisters on island in OOT). Not lore, Not no drop.

3. Get port to Tox. Get Erud's tonic (buy Innoruk's curse from bartender guy and give it to chick in library). Both LORE ITEM and NO TRADE, will require indifferent/high indifferent to coneheads faction.

4. Take boat to Qeynos, kill and loot koalindl fish. Best to just roll a lv1 monk for fish killing (to take the faction hit) and wait out the loot timer before looting the fish on your main. Fish is also LORE and NO DROP. (Comical side note: you will see about fifty corpses of lv1 monks with names like "Koalindlowned" and "fisherman" at the spawn. Second comical side note: every so often the lv1 fish is actually the avatar of Rodcet Nife, who will smite your unrighteous ass for messing with his fish).

5. Take Jum, Nut, Fish and Tonic to guy in E Freeport bar, he gives you Compendium. (I remember this being NO TRADE, may be LORE as well). Requires indifferent/high indifferent to Freeport types.

6. Take Compendium to Oggok, give to Clurg the bartender. Get stein, rejoice! Requires indifferent/high indifferent to Ogres.

FatMagic
06-25-2010, 05:21 PM
Hippo -

I'd be happy to help you in-game on my level 8 Chanter. I've been running the quest for a while. I'll PM you.

HippoNipple
06-25-2010, 05:59 PM
Sounds good, my necro in game is also Hipponipple.

I planned on starting some lower level chars (rivervale/qeynos/freeport) to gather all the items I can hand off when I get on. I will try to prep as much as I can.

Reiker
06-25-2010, 06:20 PM
Reiker's post is mostly correct, except you need four items (the three he listed, an a nut you get from OOT).

He asked what was no drop. The kiola nut isn't no drop. Hence, I didn't list it.

falderon_MT
06-25-2010, 08:47 PM
nm....was already said.
but here is a guide..
http://everquest.allakhazam.com/quests/DE_Steinguide.htm

Darklake
11-17-2010, 07:56 AM
An Agnostic Dark Elf Enchanter could do it as early as level 4 (Illusion Human) on Live, although I'm not sure for P99 as faction is a little different.

Just confirming that yes, you can do it at 4 with an agnostic DE Enchanter :-)

Since you only need high Indifference to Clurg not much faction work was needed, 1x4 Lizard Tails to Horgus and 17x4 Lizard Meats to Kogna was enough to send him Aimiable. Not actually sure at which point he tipped over, I was checking the faction with Kogna as I went along (who stayed Apprehensive).

I did it from scratch, with no funds/aid/buffs from other characters. Spend was about 7pp for the spells, tiny daggers and ingredients (for which you get 2pp back when handing in for the Barkeep's Compendium) then about 6pp for the tails & meat (for which you get back about 2pp for selling the axes) making a total of 9pp.

Time it took was 3 hours to get to level 4 (with enough cash for spells), 3 hours to get the Barkeep's Compendium (it took an hour alone to get 3 honeycombs), then an hour to get to Oggok and do the faction work.

A bit harder than doing it with my level 8 DE Enc, as yard trash aggros on you, and you can't take as many hits from the Crypt Mummies in the Oasis :-)