PDA

View Full Version : Old school Paladin returning, but lots of questions.

Alexandrious
04-14-2013, 11:41 PM
Well how to start...? Geez I remember when I was like sixteen years old when I went into the sight and sound electronics store in a military naval base in Rota, Spain, and went into the PC game section to find a large, beautifully detailed box copy of Everquest The Ruins of Kunark. My very first mmo, yet I was such a blasted noob and made so many mistakes both ingame and socially up to the Planes of Power that I gave up and moved on to FFXI.

Now im 28 years old, ive always played a Tank in MMO's however I always loved being a Paladin regardless of its role. Im the hardworking aspire to perfection sort and play to my absolute best ability. Thing is their is a lull between good mmos right now and I wanna go back to my roots for a long while. Thinking Project 1999 may be perfect.

Thus my questions, are Paladins the exact same way in PJ1999 as I remembered all those years ago? All I can honestly remember was being a average DPS offtank with a bunch of versatile spells and abilities, I soloed and grouped alot, lol I even tried to organize a Nagafen raid once to go for my Fiery avenger. I always dreamed of getting a Fiery Defender but back then I was too inexperienced and too online socially inept to have any hopes of getting it. Before Velious came the only really great achievement I ever gotten was a full DW set.

I also have the question of if Velious is activated in PJ1999? Also are their AA points in it as well? Also are the Luclin models usable? Is their any graphical modifications/UI mods that are allowed? Is the experience rate and loot tables the same or modified?

Would love any answers given.

cuddlesthekilla
04-15-2013, 12:16 AM
Since i have never done a paladin i can not help with those questions but i can help with the rest.

Velious is not out yet, we are not sure when it will be either.

Yes the luclin models are useable but they are not the default, you can search up the forums for how to do it.

I believe UI and Graphic modes are allowed but do not quote me on that.

Also send a message to Udohorn if i am online should be able to get you a nice Paladin wep.

Alexandrious
04-15-2013, 01:03 AM
Hmm ok cool. Does armor have any lv restrictions or was it like it was before, where as no restriction on level? Also since velious isnt in yet, are AA abilities being planned on?

Funkutron5000
04-15-2013, 01:35 AM
No level restrictions on gear other than procs/ clickies as of yet. No AAs as those didn't come out to Luclin. Calling a Paly an average DPS tank is grossly overestimating the damage output.

Still, I wouldn't trade my paly for anything.

Alexandrious
04-15-2013, 02:05 AM
Yea man like I said I can hardly remember anything, I was only a kid at the time.

Are Paladins worth anything then?

Malphite
04-15-2013, 02:33 AM
They're great off tanks, and they're fun. Playing a video game for enjoyment = Worth everything

Alexandrious
04-15-2013, 02:42 AM
Whats the best gear for a Paladin atm of this Emuservers current content?

Malphite
04-15-2013, 02:45 AM
Dwarven cultural is on par with being best gear outside of raid/no drop pieces

Alexandrious
04-15-2013, 02:48 AM
What about for Human?

Swish
04-15-2013, 03:20 PM
There's a ton of human cultural armor, its worth looking up on the wiki - its deity specific so check out what fits best to a paladin before rolling one I'd say. Or if already rolled, see if your deity armor is any good and worth buying :)

I know for clerics, the DE cultural is an excellent choice for us dark elf variety whereas some of the other races aren't as lucky.

Raavak
04-15-2013, 03:50 PM
They work okay as tanks in most exp group settings.

Alexandrious
04-15-2013, 05:05 PM
I remember cultural armor actually..hmm...I was Rodcet Nife I think...the Paladin deity that started you in Qeynos, at the time I just wanted to start out at a green plains area, was a total mmo noob basically, unlike now where id probably have a pref for Mithaniel Marr. I cant seem to find the cultural armor on the 1999 wiki though.

The human rodcet nife armor was....I think it was Hot Pink in color :eek: I remember being mistaken for a Cleric often cuz I had some sorta very fast and hard hitting one handed hammer and shield, but mostly because of that Hot Pink plate cultural armor. :confused:

I remember being easily seen in a giant raid crowd cuz of that armor ._.

Edit: How much does it cost to get a full set of Human Cultural? Mithaniel Marr seems more DPS based while Rodcet Nife is more Tank based. Karana has dex good for procs I suppose.

falkun
04-16-2013, 10:14 AM
Human Cultural Smithing (http://wiki.project1999.org/Cultural_Tradeskills:_Human)

It looks like your hot pink was for Erollisi Marr: http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=2651

Honestly, if you aren't Tunare (ND), then religion doesn't matter for paladin except to make certain parts of the epic quest easier.

Alexandrious
04-16-2013, 01:05 PM
Thanks for that! I wonder how hard it would be for a Paladin in this era to get into a serious raiding guild.

falkun
04-16-2013, 01:13 PM
Raiding guilds always need warm bodies. And paladin gear rots pretty constantly. Not that paladins really offer a whole lot to the raid scene. Corova would be a good person to ask about "WTF does a paladin do in a raid guild?"

But if you have the hours to dedicate to tracking, any raid guild will take you and set you up with tracker accounts.

cs616
04-16-2013, 01:39 PM
Corova would be a good person to ask about "WTF does a paladin do in a raid guild?"

Corova #1 DT taker and Jugg trainer in FE. His tireless dedication to aggroing mobs and then dying shortly after should serve as an inspiration to all paladins with raiding ambitions across the server.

Alexandrious
04-16-2013, 03:14 PM
Corova #1 DT taker and Jugg trainer in FE. His tireless dedication to aggroing mobs and then dying shortly after should serve as an inspiration to all paladins with raiding ambitions across the server.

:confused::confused::confused:

Funkutron5000
04-17-2013, 12:32 AM
Sigh. Basically on a lot of raids you end up dying a lot. If a mob DTs it'll be you or a ranger that is tasked with making the pull/ taking the DT. Or, in Seb, you end up training Juggs away from Trak to get the guild a clean engage.

Basically, you die so the guild can succeed. If I was into rping it'd be all about the noble sacrifice that I was making. Instead it's just a backwards notch on the xp bar.

If someone else ends up doing that, though, you basically join the DPS train against the mob or do important work like dispelling slows on DPS melee classes during a fight like Gore.

I have had the joy of tanking some of the outdoor dragons/ planar minibosses, though. Sev and Maestro were both pretty easily handled by me on the tanking front and I know Fay is also very tankable by a paly.

Basically, be willing to die and take it in stride or you'll throw your computer across the room.

It should also be noted that come Velious you will get a buff or two that people will actually want so you'll be part of the buffing crew for raids. Also with the armor quality increases you'll be a pretty useful offtank for adds.

Alexandrious
04-17-2013, 12:40 AM
Sigh. Basically on a lot of raids you end up dying a lot. If a mob DTs it'll be you or a ranger that is tasked with making the pull/ taking the DT. Or, in Seb, you end up training Juggs away from Trak to get the guild a clean engage.

Basically, you die so the guild can succeed. If I was into rping it'd be all about the noble sacrifice that I was making. Instead it's just a backwards notch on the xp bar.

If someone else ends up doing that, though, you basically join the DPS train against the mob or do important work like dispelling slows on DPS melee classes during a fight like Gore.

I have had the joy of tanking some of the outdoor dragons/ planar minibosses, though. Sev and Maestro were both pretty easily handled by me on the tanking front and I know Fay is also very tankable by a paly.

Basically, be willing to die and take it in stride or you'll throw your computer across the room.

It should also be noted that come Velious you will get a buff or two that people will actually want so you'll be part of the buffing crew for raids. Also with the armor quality increases you'll be a pretty useful offtank for adds.

I forget, didnt Clerics get a 95% Rez at some point?

Funkutron5000
04-17-2013, 01:46 AM
Clerics get a 96% rez. Palys get a 0 and a 90% rez, the 90 coming at level 58.

Tinkee
04-18-2013, 10:40 AM
If you were an old skool paladin you would know that 90% ress is a level 59 Paladin Spell! <3

Funkutron5000
04-18-2013, 01:01 PM
Oh dernit. I should have remembered this given how dang excited I was to get it.

Alexandrious
04-18-2013, 07:37 PM
If you were an old skool paladin you would know that 90% ress is a level 59 Paladin Spell! <3

Like I said, havent played EQ in nearly 10 years. Been a paladin or paladin-like class in mmos for 13 now.

Would like to ask this though to get a better idea of the economy, how much does a Valorium set go for? As well as Deepwater?

Funkutron5000
04-18-2013, 07:59 PM
Valolrium is the no drop planar set, so it's free once you get to 46 and go on a Fear raid. Deepwater is pretty cheap. It's about 500/ piece except for the bp and legs. The BP seems to go in the 60-80K range when you can find it for sale while the legs I've actually never seen for sale, so I can't answer that question.

Alexandrious
04-19-2013, 12:17 AM
Thanks for that. Btw installing EQ now but I heard theirs an issue with first person view, something to do with repeating graphics and such. Is their a way to fix that?

Also, what does Cultural armor go for? Any smiths you can refer me to I can contact much later on when I have the funds?

Edit: Would seem all the instructions on installing Luclin models are gone. hmm

Alexandrious
04-19-2013, 05:25 PM
I remember the armor now.

http://eqitems.13th-floor.org/item.php?id=23923

Thats what it was. Pink in color, I think it was introduced in Velious expansion but again not sure.

Arteker
05-07-2013, 10:55 PM
I remember the armor now.

http://eqitems.13th-floor.org/item.php?id=23923

Thats what it was. Pink in color, I think it was introduced in Velious expansion but again not sure.

nope that was luclin

falkun
05-20-2013, 12:02 PM
Also, what does Cultural armor go for? Any smiths you can refer me to I can contact much later on when I have the funds?

Cultural is typically 2-4K/slot. I'd recommend hitting up the EC forums search function for the individual smiths for whichever race you are interested in.