PDA

View Full Version : Mage or Necro For Farming?

Damaja
06-26-2010, 01:26 PM
What is best overall for farming items and cash on this server? I understand things are like they were in early EQ Live, I have no idea if one of these classes were really better than the other during this timeframe on live or not, so thought would ask here. My Cleric will need good gear and cash to be able to solo at all, so going to make a farm class to keep her geared etc.

suggestions?

rioisk
06-26-2010, 01:47 PM
Likely to be heavy debate about this topic but mage/necro is probably your best bet in terms of pp/hour.

Damaja
06-26-2010, 01:51 PM
Likely to be heavy debate about this topic but mage/necro is probably your best bet in terms of pp/hour.a Debate is fine as well, it allows me to hear both sides of the scales on these two classes. I know one is better indoors than the other, but I am not sure about the classes in CLASSIC EQ, I did play back then but it has been years and I have forgotten over time.

About all that I remember is mages were better for Dungeons and Necros were better for outdoors. I just want to see what others play for farming and why? Also what locations are heavily camped etc.

magic
06-26-2010, 01:52 PM
necros are better at everything, hands down. anyone that says otherwise is playing wrong

Damaja
06-26-2010, 01:56 PM
necros are better at everything, hands down. anyone that says otherwise is playing wrong

I dunno about Everything, I know for sure back during Live Classic I played my Necro and my best friend played a Mage. I was in my mid to uppper 30's soloing in Guk and he started at 29 on his Mage and soloed better than I did. Of course I could have been the one playing the class wrong for that dungeon I dunno.

oldhead
06-26-2010, 02:07 PM
necros have FD

oldhead
06-26-2010, 02:08 PM
e.g. train the mage and now you solo better than him.

Dersk
06-26-2010, 02:15 PM
Unless you're planning on getting an epic mage, it's necro all the way.

mitic
06-26-2010, 02:36 PM
Likely to be heavy debate about this topic but mage/necro is probably your best bet in terms of pp/hour.

ever seen a bard kiting seafuries in oot? doubt a nec or mage can do that too. besides that there is 0 downtime for bards, so no, in terms of pp/hour bards are better. IF we start to talk about drops in dungeons then yes, necro/mages

Damaja
06-26-2010, 02:45 PM
ever seen a bard kiting seafuries in oot? doubt a nec or mage can do that too. besides that there is 0 downtime for bards, so no, in terms of pp/hour bards are better. IF we start to talk about drops in dungeons then yes, necro/magesWell, that's the entire point behind me making one of these. Simply to farm cash and gear for my Cleric (if I can actually get it leveled)

Skope
06-26-2010, 02:52 PM
If we're talking about farming in further expansions it's probably necro. Chain-casting pets becomes slow when compared to root-rot, fear kite or even heal pet and DoT. If you nuke as a mage you'd better be prepared to burn it down and have a 5min med period. With a necro that's not the case; the hp>mana conversion becomes much more efficient and the DoTs put you at the top of the 2-3minute DPS charts.

Damaja
06-26-2010, 03:26 PM
So far sounds like i made the right choice rolling my Necro last week. Will probably just stay on my Necro then.

nalkin
06-26-2010, 03:53 PM
I don't really know the answer as I have not had experience playing a necro, but I can give you my side of the view as a level 50 mage. Mages are pure power and completely lack CC. We lack the ability to really break a camp well, but the 49 earth pet is so powerful that most of the time I will just take the camp at once. For instance, I broke the room with bubblehead in kedge alone with the earth pet. I have also figured out how to break Kings room in LGuk solo.

I guess I would say that Necros have the advantage in farming because they have more versatility since they can FD and get easier breaks, while a mage just has to try to take the multiples at once. Its hard to say though cause when you get that 49 earth pet you feel pretty unstoppable.

Damaja
06-26-2010, 04:32 PM
I don't really know the answer as I have not had experience playing a necro, but I can give you my side of the view as a level 50 mage. Mages are pure power and completely lack CC. We lack the ability to really break a camp well, but the 49 earth pet is so powerful that most of the time I will just take the camp at once. For instance, I broke the room with bubblehead in kedge alone with the earth pet. I have also figured out how to break Kings room in LGuk solo.

I guess I would say that Necros have the advantage in farming because they have more versatility since they can FD and get easier breaks, while a mage just has to try to take the multiples at once. Its hard to say though cause when you get that 49 earth pet you feel pretty unstoppable.
I see alot of people talking about how they are the #14 Druid, or the #2 this or #4 that. Exactly how are you ranking yourself?

This Mage killed 47 Moss Snakes and the runner up only killed 46?

Ropethunder
06-26-2010, 04:36 PM
It depends on what you're killing. Sometimes an earth pet can take a whole room where a necro pet would get nailed. Sometimes having FD is more of an asset in a deep dungeon crawl.

Sometimes there's a fight that an enchanter would trump both necromancer and magician. It really depends on the situation.

Yinaltin
06-26-2010, 04:58 PM
being a 50 nec myself , the farming grounds (lguk / oot ..) are shared under us nercos of this server . lord frenzy am allize and seafurys and specs are camped most of the time by necros .

so being a nec to farm , you made the right choice

Combo
06-26-2010, 11:04 PM
I always gravitate back towards Necro... I just can't stay away.

A shame I can't make an Iksar yet, but Dark Elf will do...

Uaellaen
06-27-2010, 02:09 AM
mage can do it all np ...

bullet
06-27-2010, 03:28 AM
By the time you should be farming on your necro is the time you should quit the game.

Every mother and their son has a necro farming somewhere, so just enjoy the game while it lasts.

mitic
06-27-2010, 04:07 AM
By the time you should be farming on your necro is the time you should quit the game.

Every mother and their son has a necro farming somewhere, so just enjoy the game while it lasts.

this game is all about farming

Reiker
06-27-2010, 09:24 AM
Mages excel at 1v1 fights ie. Allizewsaur or Hill Giants. Enchanter excel at farming named mobs in tough camps. Necros are in between.

Maladien
06-27-2010, 10:28 AM
You have a cleric and worry about money.... Hit 49+ and rez for donations. You'll make money and make a name for yourself if you are just doing it for a donation of what the character can afford and not refusing to rez if they can't pay you XXXp. Team up with a druid/wiz friend and you can travel. Many ppl will pay you several hundred pp to travel to a zone and rez 2-3 bodies for them.

If you insist on spending time leveling up another toon instead of playing your main just to get gear/money for your main (as opposed to leveling an alt for fun), necro would be best imo. Like someone said earlier, mages are pure power, but they don't have the versatility of a necro in breaking camps (FD). Plus, you can charm in undead zones as a bonus :) And don't forget a necro gets way better mana regen than a mage.

Damaja
06-27-2010, 10:56 AM
In every MMO I have ever played (and I have played most of them) I have played a heal class of some type. I love playing support classes. I have never been a melee type person, mostly casters and healer types. I never really got much done in EQ back on live years ago, I was young and didn't want to work for anything, I wanted it right then, right NOW.

I loved the game, mostly playing on Vallon Zek during the early days, but now I have the chance to return to the game I loved years ago and play it as I should have. I am undecided on my Clerics race yet, I am still debating but I have time since I am working on my Necro but I am for sure playing a Cleric here as a main. Without gear and money that Cleric is going to be murder to level up, so gonna see if my necro can help in that area.

mitic
06-27-2010, 11:34 AM
dont waste your time leveling up a necro if your going to play cleric as main. good wis stuff is cheap here

Dersk
06-27-2010, 11:35 AM
I am undecided on my Clerics race yet

There are really only two possibilities. Erudite Cleric of Cazuc-Thule, or Dark Elf Cleric of Innoruuk. There's no reason to take an awesomeness penalty just to play a paler race. The only question is if you want to level up in the commonlands (*gag*) or in blackburrow.

Mmmm... gnoll fangs...

Loke
06-27-2010, 11:36 AM

While generally speaking I would agree with this - I do believe there are a few instances in which a mage would shine over a necro. Mage chain petting is far more effective than a necro trying to do the same - and in an instance in which you're just killing one difficult boss, this can be a big advantage. I think mages were able to solo phinny, lodi, and similar group type mobs long before necros were.

But yea, generally speaking I would say necros are more effective soloers and farmers.

Damaja
06-27-2010, 11:54 AM
There are really only two possibilities. Erudite Cleric of Cazuc-Thule, or Dark Elf Cleric of Innoruuk. There's no reason to take an awesomeness penalty just to play a paler race. The only question is if you want to level up in the commonlands (*gag*) or in blackburrow.

Mmmm... gnoll fangs...

Where are those bonus and penalties listed again? And omg no way I am gonna try to solo a cleric up lol, I would be pulled all of my hair out before I got 20 levels. oops nevermind I found em.

according to this chart, most races able to be Cleric don't have minus's on xp. I could be High Elf, human, or whatever.

Dersk
06-27-2010, 12:17 PM
according to this chart, most races able to be Cleric don't have minus's on xp. I could be High Elf, human, or whatever.

I wasn't talking about a bonus to xp, I'm talking about a bonus to awesomeness. It's something you can't substitute with extra grinding.

Damaja
06-27-2010, 12:41 PM
I wasn't talking about a bonus to xp, I'm talking about a bonus to awesomeness. It's something you can't substitute with extra grinding.

ahhh :D

But .............. awesomeness does not make it easier for a non solo class to solo ;)

Sorbek
08-15-2011, 04:41 AM
As a magician at 52 the one thing I wish I had that necros do is lifetap. If I pull ago from pet I'm screwed in a dungeon. Likewise if I agro something and the pet can't get to it first and I have no where to move without agroing more I'm screwed.

That being said I picked Magician because its one of the few classes I've never leveled to 50+.

Hijynx
08-15-2011, 06:32 AM
If I saw a bard swarming seafurys i would get his IP address, run to his house and stab him, then let him bleed out for a really long time. See how you like it! waiting 2hrs for a repop pff.

Harrison
08-15-2011, 06:37 AM
As a magician at 52 the one thing I wish I had that necros do is lifetap. If I pull ago from pet I'm screwed in a dungeon. Likewise if I agro something and the pet can't get to it first and I have no where to move without agroing more I'm screwed.

That being said I picked Magician because its one of the few classes I've never leveled to 50+.

Pulling aggro from your pet was rarely an issue before they broke pet aggro :\

Motec
08-15-2011, 08:08 AM

Mmmm... gnoll fangs...

Dark elf:
Hide
Snare neck.

No other race for cleric is even a close comparison.