PDA

View Full Version : Question about the IP Block System

Alarien
04-18-2013, 09:22 AM
So, my wife and I are two actual players, (as opposed to a two boxer and his imaginary "friend") who are ex EQ players, met in DAOC, went back to EQ and have since played most MMO's together. Since EQ through Velious was really the glory age of early MMO's we wanted to come back and try Project 1999 with our other massochistic friends.

I've put in the petition for an IP exemption, however, in the meantime, I've been letting my wife play P1999 while I continue to play EVE Online at night. I figured since I can play a game that I play regularly, which she does not play (internet spaceships doesn't appeal to her :/), she can get the headstart. That said, I'd still like to get in and play.

So, the question is, when she is offline, can I log into P1999 through my account and get a start, so she can't pull too far ahead of me? That would be two accounts using the same IP but at separate times. Only one online, until the IP exemption goes through... or will this cause issues?

I'd rather not get the IP blocked and have her not be able to play. That would result in... something painful I'm sure.

Lyra
04-18-2013, 09:55 AM
will this cause issues?

No

Raavak
04-18-2013, 10:01 AM
You basically run as many single instances with as many characters and accounts as you want from one IP all you want. Its when you get two chars in game at the same time that you need two breathing people playing, and without exemption that won't happen.

Alarien
04-18-2013, 10:06 AM
Great, thanks. That's what I needed to know.

The Mystical Order

I seem to remember that name from Fennin Ro, back in the day.

Swish
04-18-2013, 10:26 AM
Good luck with it Alarien.

When the exemption comes through, I'd advise against playing Eve with your EQ character logged in and idle (on auto follow, logging in to buff your wife's character etc and logging out again). Alovia has eyes everywhere :p

Raavak
04-18-2013, 10:29 AM
The Mystical Order

I seem to remember that name from Fennin Ro, back in the day.Its a new version of that same guild. Lots of the core/founding members were in it on Fennin. (not me)

HeallunRumblebelly
04-18-2013, 10:34 AM
So, my wife and I are two actual players, (as opposed to a two boxer and his imaginary "friend") who are ex EQ players, met in DAOC, went back to EQ and have since played most MMO's together. Since EQ through Velious was really the glory age of early MMO's we wanted to come back and try Project 1999 with our other massochistic friends.

I've put in the petition for an IP exemption, however, in the meantime, I've been letting my wife play P1999 while I continue to play EVE Online at night. I figured since I can play a game that I play regularly, which she does not play (internet spaceships doesn't appeal to her :/), she can get the headstart. That said, I'd still like to get in and play.

So, the question is, when she is offline, can I log into P1999 through my account and get a start, so she can't pull too far ahead of me? That would be two accounts using the same IP but at separate times. Only one online, until the IP exemption goes through... or will this cause issues?

I'd rather not get the IP blocked and have her not be able to play. That would result in... something painful I'm sure.

If you have a smartphone, tether your phone connection to one of the computers while waiting on your IP exemption. Can tether for free on most plans and EasyTether is a suitable workaround for when companies try to block built-in tethering.

Barkingturtle
04-18-2013, 10:43 AM
Welcome to P99.

Alarien
04-18-2013, 11:17 AM
Thanks, looking forward to it!