PDA

View Full Version : Server Location

Noxieus
04-27-2013, 06:29 AM
Where is the server for blue and red P99 geographically located?

Thanks.

Clark
04-27-2013, 07:04 AM
France

Rhambuk
04-27-2013, 07:23 AM
Where is the server for blue and red P99 geographically located?

Thanks.

Goodluck?

Swish
04-27-2013, 08:01 AM
Definitely isn't France... you guys take your low pings for granted. I'm on a 200ms minimum in the UK :p

It's one coast or the other :p

webrunner5
04-27-2013, 08:06 AM
My son and I used to buy and sell servers. We had 5 of them running in my bedroom once. They are neat as hell. 5 of them could run P1999 I think.

username17
04-27-2013, 09:07 AM
The servers are on the East coast of the US somewhere in the Carolina's.

I ran a trace route from California, DC, and Virginia. I got routed through Atlanta each time.
The servers aren't far enough north that I'd stop at a Virginia router. It put me through Atlanta.
I'm thinking somewhere in North/South Carolina close to Atlanta.

There were 2 hops after passing through Atlanta which didn't have PTR records so I can't confirm the exact location. IP location look ups are not always accurate (company I work for purchases IPs on the west coast and uses them on the east coast) so I can't say exactly.

If I'm right I live about 6 hours away from the servers which is nice.

Rhambuk
04-27-2013, 09:10 AM

I ran a trace route from California, DC, and Virginia. I got routed through Atlanta each time.
The servers aren't far enough north that I'd stop at a Virginia router. It put me through Atlanta.

There were 2 hops after passing through Atlanta which didn't have PTR records so I can't confirm the exact location. IP location look ups are not always accurate (company I work for purchases IPs on the west coast and uses them on the east coast) so I can't say exactly.

Not that it matters I guess but...

why would anyone want information on the servers unless they planned on messing with them? not calling anyone out or throwing labels it just seems very shady to me.

username17
04-27-2013, 09:23 AM
Curiosity. Or to find out if the latency they're experiencing is a problem or if it's just due to the geographical distance between them and the server.

In what way would knowing the physical location of a server assist in 'messing' with it? It's online and has an IP address. That's all you need to know if you want to DDoS.

It's not like the server is sitting in a shack on Rogean's back yard. It's in a Colocation data center with 24/7 security, video monitoring, and support. You're not going to be able social engineer your way in and pull the hard drive out.

Rhambuk
04-27-2013, 09:28 AM
It's not like the server is sitting in a shack on Rogean's back yard. It's in a Colocation data center with 24/7 security, video monitoring, and support. You're not going to be able social engineer your way in and pull the hard drive out.

ahh i thought he personally held it, my bad!

This just in! Data center in south carolina bombed! new at 11

getsome
04-27-2013, 10:54 AM
Not that it matters I guess but...

why would anyone want information on the servers unless they planned on messing with them? not calling anyone out or throwing labels it just seems very shady to me.

You afraid they gonna unplug them. Lol

Rhambuk
04-27-2013, 10:56 AM
You afraid they gonna unplug them. Lol

Maybe! Anonymous account asking where the servers are. Maybe ive been reading these forums to much but im a little nervous for my pixels!

Sadre Spinegnawer
04-27-2013, 11:15 AM
to OP: dig deeper. They are not telling you everything.

Deep Throat

Noxieus
04-27-2013, 11:19 AM
Why I would like to know: www dot WTFast dot com

WTFast is a very useful program that reduces latency by offering a more direct route to whatever game servers you play.

In WoW, my latency went from about 45ms to 20ms, living in California and connecting to the LA servers.

I get ~100ms here, so I figure the benefit might be substantial.

Thanks for the discussion.

Thulack
04-27-2013, 11:42 AM
45 to 20ms? 50 bucks says you couldnt even tell a difference.

getsome
04-27-2013, 12:00 PM

Netriplex has a data center in arden, nc ( close to asheville) and a fiber link to atlanta. They also have a datacenter in atlanta.

username17
04-27-2013, 12:42 PM
I'm fairly certain which Colo company has the server. They have 4 data centers in the Carolinas.

But no one needs to know which data center the server is in. There's no benefit from having that level of information so I didn't share it.

@OP: The EQ Emulator servers are hosted on the east coast of the US. In the North/South Carolina area.
/thread

Rhambuk
04-27-2013, 01:12 PM

WTFast is a very useful program that reduces latency by offering a more direct route to whatever game servers you play.

In WoW, my latency went from about 45ms to 20ms, living in California and connecting to the LA servers.

Nice trick lemme know how it works out for you. Why keep a secret like this to yourself anyway? couldve posted this and saved the tinfoil hat discussion =)

Swish
04-27-2013, 01:36 PM

Going to give this a try as well...there's a testemonial from someone in the UK stating their ms got halved :)

Zereh
04-27-2013, 01:38 PM
I seem to remember something about them being in Atlanta? Dig through the patch notes or Rogean's posts because I think he mentioned it when talking about some forced downtime for data center maintenance.

Rhambuk
04-27-2013, 01:59 PM
messed around with a couple my norm is 85ms in ec. i got it down to 77 =p

agdros
04-27-2013, 02:24 PM
My son and I used to buy and sell servers. We had 5 of them running in my bedroom once. They are neat as hell. 5 of them could run P1999 I think.

As a network admin for a large university. This made me chuckle.

webrunner5
04-27-2013, 02:43 PM

Then sir you are WAY over payed if you think not.

Swish
04-27-2013, 03:35 PM
Yep jumped on the 30 day free trial and it's halved my ping :D

Noxieus
04-27-2013, 06:15 PM
All these posts talking about suspicious intentions are pretty funny. You found me out guys, I am FBI. My master plan to sabotage the data centers is nearing completion...

Nice. My trial ran out and I didn't want to pay unless the benefit for P99 was reasonable. Which WTFast server did you end up using?

Swish
04-27-2013, 06:20 PM
Nice. My trial ran out and I didn't want to pay unless the benefit for P99 was reasonable. Which WTFast server did you end up using?

For me it was "London UK3", I'm sceptical on how its finding a shorter way to the server though as its still got to cross the Atlantic, surely there's only so many pipes lol :/

Noxieus
04-27-2013, 06:25 PM
For me it was "London UK3", I'm sceptical on how its finding a shorter way to the server though as its still got to cross the Atlantic, surely there's only so many pipes lol :/

That seems kind of bizarre considering the general consensus seems to be the east coast/Carolinas.

Rhambuk
04-27-2013, 10:50 PM

did you use the search ping option and go with the closest? really didnt seem to affect me too much, maybe im already going through it

Trojanman
04-27-2013, 11:56 PM

Pretty sure p1999 would be fine on one server and probably one mirror.

Kagatob
04-28-2013, 12:12 AM
Nah...
I did too.
Then sir you are WAY over payed if you think not.
Nope.
Pretty sure p1999 would be fine on one server and probably one mirror.
This.

Noxieus
04-28-2013, 03:22 AM
did you use the search ping option and go with the closest? really didnt seem to affect me too much, maybe im already going through it

I think that just connects you to the closest WTFast server to your location, regardless of your destination, which would likely not do much good.

Gwence
04-28-2013, 04:41 AM
its never been about the size of the server

they had to get a fat ass data line to saturate out the frequent ddos attacks back in early 2010

y'all newborns have no idea

and you're all fucking lucky as hell the server even still exists, cuz the person that dropped the 8 thousand bucks for the data line definitely wouldn't have done it again if the clocks were turned back, after the way he got treated by uthgaard and co. afterwards.

azxten
04-28-2013, 05:39 AM
http://www.netriplex.com/solutions/server_colocation/asheville_colocation.aspx

IP geolocation shows Asheville, one of the last resolvable IPs is IMMEDION, IP is owned by NETRIPLEX LLC, NETRIPLEX has a DC in Asheville, NC.

Pretty basic stuff.

Swish
04-28-2013, 08:05 AM

The ping was ~5 or so different from servers in France... so not much change there. Going to try it again and see if its consistent

Rhambuk
04-30-2013, 07:15 AM
Anyone got this to work and make a big enough difference to use it? I've tried several different locations from NC to virginia and no real change.

Not sure i set it up right to be honest, I run the eqemu launcher through wtfast. it works and runs but not sure if its benefiting me at all