PDA

View Full Version : Druid help

bporter721
05-01-2013, 08:33 AM
Hello everyone

So I started playing last week and I am having a good time. I started a Druid, got to level five and now I seem to die allllll the time. I am looking for someone to maybe give me some tips on how to effectively level my toon. I am new so equipment is basic which I am fine with but I would think the process should be just a little more smooth.

I will be on this evening my character name is bliza. Any help is welcomed

TWDL_Prexus
05-01-2013, 09:10 AM
Try and see if you can find a nice person to drop you a few plat. My first character here was a druid and I leveled to 14 without any problems solo after someone gave me a ton of gold from guards. Get some leather armor, a scimitar, and a shield.

Rhambuk
05-01-2013, 09:11 AM
what lvl are you
where are you exping
what method solo/group
if solo what are you doing, kiting root rotting?

Estu
05-01-2013, 09:12 AM
At level five you can head to Crushbone or Orc Hill in Greater Faydark and find a group. Or you can head to East Commonlands, get buffs, and destroy stuff until around level 10. In general, you should only attack single dark blue monsters, not even con or yellow con or groups, if you're soloing. Also avoid poisonous monsters and spellcasters. Pull monsters to a safe area where you won't get additional monsters attacking you (adds) and stay near guards, and you shouldn't be dying at all. Once you get SoW at level 14 you'll be utterly safe since you can outrun anything that's causing you trouble.

Gear's not important, you won't need it until you're quadding.

Rhambuk
05-01-2013, 09:14 AM
At level five you can head to Crushbone or Orc Hill in Greater Faydark and find a group. Or you can head to East Commonlands, get buffs, and destroy stuff until around level 10. In general, you should only attack single dark blue monsters, not even con or yellow con or groups, if you're soloing. Also avoid poisonous monsters and spellcasters. Pull monsters to a safe area where you won't get additional monsters attacking you (adds) and stay near guards, and you shouldn't be dying at all. Once you get SoW at level 14 you'll be utterly safe since you can outrun anything that's causing you trouble.

++

Missed in your post your lvl, id suggest ec not for the high lvl buffs but becuase theres a decent amount of mobs your lvl and other players to group with, solo spders/snakes around the ec tunnel entrance until 7 or so then join an orc1 group until 11 or 12. after that you can move to Nro/wc dervs or oasis til high teens 20. after 20 its a whole new game

Swish
05-01-2013, 09:19 AM
I'd get the buffs in EC then head into Nektulos and either kill the skeletons/zombies at the monolith (turn right as you zone in), or kill the shadow wolves, skeletons, black bears etc that wander around in that area.

More condensed and less populated than EC in terms of finding mobs, and only 1 dark elf guard on the path to worry about.

Rhambuk
05-01-2013, 09:30 AM
I'd get the buffs in EC then head into Nektulos and either kill the skeletons/zombies at the monolith (turn right as you zone in), or kill the shadow wolves, skeletons, black bears etc that wander around in that area.

More condensed and less populated than EC in terms of finding mobs, and only 1 dark elf guard on the path to worry about.

That monolith is great i just wish there were a few more mobs at it, especially if you get ec buffed it wont be enough. but there are lots of bears in that area that are around the same lvl 6-8 i think

rsloans84
05-01-2013, 11:26 AM
Cb belts and pads give good xp too for lowbies and decent gold for spells etc.. Finding a grp or partner would be a good thing for u...

Swish
05-01-2013, 11:37 AM
There was a point where you could hand in CB belts to freeport (as if they were DF belts) but I haven't tried it in a long time.

Lyra
05-01-2013, 11:53 AM
At level 8 the game changes when you get meditate. You will need to train this.

Remember that Flame Lick is a VERY high threat spell. You will pull aggro and keep it if you cast this spell.

I'm going to assume you are a wood elf, since you didn't say.

Play cautiously. Stand near the orc lift and pull near there. If you get in trouble, run to the guards.

Harmony, a level 5 Area effect Calm spell, is an over powered spell. USE IT!

If you are feeling daring, invis (Camouflage) and go to Crushbone. At level 5 you can still get experience from orc pawns and they are often left standing. At 6, you can avoid most trains by killing the mobs between Trainer Hill and the river. Invis while you med.

Snare everything. If you are grouped, snare at 49% to avoid pulling aggro.

Hobie819
05-01-2013, 01:05 PM
If you are a human druid and start off in Qeynos, dont fret - there is still plenty you can do there. I leveled in that area up to EK until 20 solo. Gnolls drop fangs pretty commonly - keep them and turn them in as a very good source of additional xp. You can even kill green ones at a good clip and make more xp off the fang turn ins than you would have had they been blue - the XP from them is pretty darn good. Eventually move to WK at the guard towers and possibly group with folks at the derv camp if a rare group is made.

I actually enjoyed the Qeynos area - it's quiet and calm - no one to bug you.

Malone88
05-01-2013, 01:17 PM
I would recommend not going to East Commonlands/Freeport if you are in Kelethin already and are a new player.

Get in an Orc Hill Group at level 5. Collect all Crushbone belts you can and sell them to players for 1 PP each. Also, save bone chips to sell to players. Save up money to buy your spells first, then worry about equipment later.

When you reach around level 8, move into Crushbone and either find a group there or solo near the zone-in area. Collect Crushbone belts and sell them.

When you reach around level 11 or so, move to Steamfont and kill the minos which are on the immediate left as you zone in to Steamfont from LFay. Sell mino axes and gems to vendors. All those minos are single pulls and you have the zone line to run too if you get in trouble.

If you can pick up a decent weapon like a Fine Steel Scimitar or Fine Steel Warhammer, do it, but don't buy it from a vendor. Ask high-level players if they have one to spare.

Snare everything you kill...it will keep you safe if anything jumps you by surprise.

bporter721
05-01-2013, 09:07 PM
Well i am a halfling druid.

I have tried killing the goblins outside runnyeye but they come at me in groups of three.... i don't win those fights too often lol. Plus when those mummies or zombies add... its normally run back to my body.

I really do appreciate all of the tips, sounds like i should try to get to crushbone. How hard will it be for me to get there from Misty Thicket?

Seredoc
05-01-2013, 11:44 PM
Well i am a halfling druid.

I have tried killing the goblins outside runnyeye but they come at me in groups of three.... i don't win those fights too often lol. Plus when those mummies or zombies add... its normally run back to my body.

I really do appreciate all of the tips, sounds like i should try to get to crushbone. How hard will it be for me to get there from Misty Thicket?

Ok, you're level 5, if you don't have it grind out greens/lb mobs to get enough money to buy the spell harmony.

Once you have harmony make sure you have your thorns, snare and your dot(with fire beetle eye).

Go to the wall in Misty Thicket. WHen coming out from Rivervale and exiting the gate in the wall turn left and then go straight to the left hand wall. There are two goblin camps side by side with a small tree in between them. DO NOT SIT ON OR NEAR THAT CENTER TREE. A high(er) level undead spawns there and pats by, instead go to the tree on the other side of the right hand camp.

From this spot, do the following; cast harmony on the goblins in the nearby camp, you will see a blue twinkle surround the mobs it hits. As soon as you can, cast your dot on the nearest mob, making sure it does not walk through its friend.

Once it is dotted, let it walk to you taking damage. While it is walking, target self and cast thorns if and only if the mob is WHITE. If it is blue turn on autoattack and time your DD casts to go in between swings.

If at any time your dot drops AND snare drops and you don't know what to recast, ignore the dot and cast SNARE. It will save you time that the dot won't, both by keeping the mob in swinging range and lowering chance for adds.

You can stay in this general area until you get your spells at lvl 9, just keep using this method and you'll be fine and out of the way of most pats(one goblin will patrol past the tree but everytime he did it near me he was blue or LB)

Mandalore93
05-02-2013, 05:07 AM
Been an extremely long time, but I remember pretty much exclusively fear kiting animals on my halfling druid for the longest time when I was soloing. Once you hit level 14 though you should be charming while soloing. Supremacy is a pretty solid leveling guild out there at the moment and whenever I login there are at least a few groups going on. Mostly in EC/CB/Unrest however.

Swish
05-02-2013, 05:14 AM
If you don't fancy the goblins/orcs in Misty, go for the bats (turn left out of the gate with the guards, you'll see them)

webrunner5
05-02-2013, 07:25 AM
Its pretty hard on average to solo with a Druid until level 14. Then you finally get some spells that make u a Druid. Even with some pretty good gear you are not really going to be able to stand toe to toe with mobs ever after level 7 or so without some killer buffs from a high level Druid or Shaman. I would go to the EC tunnel and get some good buffs and get to level 10ish in EC. Go to WC and try the Wisps till 14. Then it is off to the East Karana where you will live for a bit charming. Then at like 22 or 24 go to South Karana and do the Spires with Gnolls then go into Infected Paw till 35. in SK I pretty much just root rotted mobs then. But if you can Quad Kite SK is a nice zone to do it in. Takes a LOT of mana to Quad Kite though.

At level 29 you can start porting people to a few places and make you some nice plat for better gear. You need to be in the tunnel to do it though. And please don't put it in Shout. I HATE people that do that.

Estu
05-02-2013, 08:57 AM
If you want to get out of Misty Thicket it's easy. Do a "/who all druid 39 60", and send people tells asking politely for a port and explaining that you're a newbie and can't pay them. You should find one relatively quickly.

bporter721
05-02-2013, 09:59 AM
Well I have my Druid parked at the entrance of cb. Was in a group last night at Orc hill. Was fun but xp was kinda slow. Much quicker soloing in cb.

Now, are there any lowbie Druid items that aren't an arm and a leg to buy? I have managed to collect 50 plat thus far (helping the high level guys killing guards in misty sell). Once again thanks for all the help!!

Auvdar
05-02-2013, 11:32 AM
Don't worry too much about gear, maybe try and find a magic weapon (combine scimitar if you can't find anything better, around 50p) so you can hunt skeletons/zombies/wisps etc (wisps in eruds can be good money, and rarely camped).

Around lvl 20 or so you can farm the armbands in Gorge from the evil eyes. You can also do the Testament of Vanear quest around then too.

Once you get to 29 and have group ports you can start making money by being a taxi. Charge 10p per ride to the 4 basic zones, and you will be able to make money for gear in a few days.

+Wis gear isn't that expensive. 3-4k you should be able to get 200 wis, or close to it.

For leveling you need to learn to charm hunt. I forget when, but I believe around the early 20's it gets efficient. Before then, root/rot/melee or quad.

I quadded bandits in WK around lvl 12 to lvl 14, bandit sashes give good money. Wisps give good money with greater light stones. Sisters in L Fay are good too, but almost always camped. I suggest either bandits or wisps, since they are almost never camped here.

If you see me in game (rare these days, but does happen) shoot me a tell. Would be glad to help out a new druid with what I can.

bporter721
05-02-2013, 04:23 PM
Ok dumb question

What is quadding?

smokemon
05-02-2013, 05:41 PM
Snaring 4 mobs at a time and damaging them down as you kite them.

Auvdar
05-02-2013, 06:15 PM
Ok dumb question

What is quadding?

Snare 4 similar mobs (no casters pref.), run them around a bit so they bunch up, run a distance, cast AoE (so it hits all 4), run again, cast AoE, run again, cast AoE. repeat till dead.

Lyra
05-02-2013, 06:31 PM
Snare 4 similar mobs (no casters pref.), run them around a bit so they bunch up, run a distance, cast AoE (so it hits all 4), run again, cast AoE, run again, cast AoE. repeat till dead.

Running backwards in a circle away from snared mobs accomplishes the bunching fastest.

webrunner5
05-02-2013, 08:23 PM
Sort of what a bard does but they can "cast" songs while moving. Druids have to stop to cast. Then you get to sit for 6 to 8 minutes and med after the 4 kills and the Bard is rounding up 30 more mobs. That is if you can stand to run around in a circle for like 45 minutes at a time as a Bard.

Estu
05-03-2013, 07:50 AM
For leveling you need to learn to charm hunt. I forget when, but I believe around the early 20's it gets efficient. Before then, root/rot/melee or quad.

Charming is the fastest way to EXP a druid from the moment you get your first charm spell, at level 14.

Lagaidh
05-03-2013, 08:48 AM
Hmm. I need to learn charming. Fart around with wife's druid, keeping us the same level. I normally quad or root rot. Fairly efficient at L53. I've always been a meatshield, so I do not know this finer point of solo druid play.

webrunner5
05-03-2013, 09:37 AM
Hmm. I need to learn charming. Fart around with wife's druid, keeping us the same level. I normally quad or root rot. Fairly efficient at L53. I've always been a meatshield, so I do not know this finer point of solo druid play.

Heh, A Druid is FAR from a meatsheild. You think a Ranger is a Papertank. :D Yeah, they pretty much can't get hit. It is a total change from a Pally. Between Call of Karana at level 52 and Glamour of Tunare at level 53 pet charming is a lot eaiser.