PDA

View Full Version : Any point to a Mage alt if you already have a necro?

Safon
05-04-2013, 04:15 PM
Does a Mage offer much that a necro does not? What about in Velious?

citizen1080
05-04-2013, 04:16 PM
Epic mage pet is pretty beasty tank iirc.

Safon
05-04-2013, 04:23 PM
Epics aside, I'm not in the 1 percent and cannot afford an earth staff! :p

Nordenwatch
05-04-2013, 04:45 PM
coth and muzzle of mardu.

Swish
05-04-2013, 08:38 PM
Necros allow you to farm most stuff... I don't think having a mage and a necro is productive myself, but what other classes are you thinking of?

On my long term list I want to own a tank, a healer and a caster...

I've got the healer and the caster, just need to get my (2nd) SK levelled :D

Cippofra
05-05-2013, 12:42 AM
Necros, overall are the most powerful solo class in the game. Single target, cc, survivability, mana efficiency. Don't care what anyone thinks about any other class, nothing comes even remotely close to a necro's ability to handle so many types of situations

smokemon
05-05-2013, 02:19 AM
necro > mage in solo camps.

Kagatob
05-05-2013, 02:24 AM
Shaman would like to have a word with you

In a perfect world perhaps. Shamans don't get FD though.

webrunner5
05-05-2013, 07:06 AM
I hate playing a Necro, too repetitive. I must admit they get every trick in the book except SoW and Ports, and with J Boots cures that one problem. Mage is tougher to play with their lack of CC. Best loot is in Indoor zones and they pretty much suck at that. But they are a killing machine on easy mode compared to a necro.

Cecily
05-05-2013, 07:25 AM
In a perfect world perhaps. Shamans don't get FD though.

http://wiki.project1999.org/Vermilion_Sky_Ring

Clark
05-08-2013, 12:12 AM
Necros, overall are the most powerful solo class in the game. Single target, cc, survivability, mana efficiency. Don't care what anyone thinks about any other class, nothing comes even remotely close to a necro's ability to handle so many types of situations

Ummmmmmm Enchanter bro. My 60 Enchanter puts my 60 Necro to freaking shame.

Necros are still awesome though.

Kagatob
05-08-2013, 12:25 AM

Oh wow a whole two charges. I guess I'm eating my words now.

Cecily
05-08-2013, 11:16 AM
It's rechargable

Rhambuk
05-08-2013, 11:20 AM
rechargeable fd ring, probably one of the best shaman items EVER period.

diplo
05-08-2013, 11:24 AM
Mage's have FD ability and it's more useful....it's called Call of the Hero.

Rhambuk
05-08-2013, 11:36 AM
Mage's have FD ability and it's more useful....it's called Call of the Hero.

To bad they can't cast it on themselves, and if they could it wouldn't do anything. it would be like gating on your bind spot...

Arkanjil
05-08-2013, 11:36 AM
If you want it just because its another pet class then sure, but otherwise there isn't much of a benefit. Mages are fun and provide nice benefits to raids with their summoned items and coth, but that's about as far as it goes.

falkun
05-08-2013, 11:48 AM
@OP: CotH-bot.

Splorf22
05-08-2013, 12:01 PM
The crazy thing about shamans is that not only are they pretty OP at 60 just with just normal spells, they also get:

JBB, the best damage clicky in the game
Tash via Jsticks
Rune via Bladestopper
Charm via Strings
FD via the Sky Ring

I think a really tricked out shaman is simply the most powerful class in the game. Enchanters are a close second since hey, those are our abilities :D

OP: I think you will find a Mage a little bit boring/frustrating after a necro. I have one and I am finding him to be so so so fragile. A full pack of wooly spider silk nets helps a lot though! And I'm looking forward to experimenting with coh.

falkun
05-08-2013, 12:21 PM
But enchanters don't get the tankability of plate/chain nor the 2nd best healing in the game (torpor). Shaman and monk really are the prodigy classes of classic EQ, with enchanters a close second.

diplo
05-08-2013, 01:40 PM
To bad they can't cast it on themselves, and if they could it wouldn't do anything. it would be like gating on your bind spot...

what you mean? if you cast it on yourself, you clear aggro. lets say I need to get past some see invis mobs in seb, sick pet on it...run past, then poof pet right when coh lands! faster than FD!

Tecmos Deception
05-08-2013, 02:11 PM
Necros, in my incorrect opinion, overall are the most powerful solo class in the game.

Tecmos Deception
05-08-2013, 02:15 PM
Oh wow a whole two charges. I guess I'm eating my words now.

Every time you open your mouth, it just becomes more and more apparent that you have absolutely no idea what is going on.

Rhambuk
05-08-2013, 02:43 PM
what you mean? if you cast it on yourself, you clear aggro. lets say I need to get past some see invis mobs in seb, sick pet on it...run past, then poof pet right when coh lands! faster than FD!

ahh the pet to hold aggro, gotcha now.

kk not all that bad ) still costs a pearl =p

diplo
05-08-2013, 02:45 PM
ahh the pet to hold aggro, gotcha now.

kk not all that bad ) still costs a pearl =p

4pp pal...don't be so stingy!

Rhambuk
05-08-2013, 02:56 PM
It's the principle of the matter!

just upset fd is garbage now (

Cippofra
05-08-2013, 11:59 PM
Tecmos,

Very valid point. You have enlightened me and helped me see the error of my ways. Good thing we have your professional experience to point out fallacies here

Vermicelli
05-09-2013, 01:29 AM
Whatever happened to playing what you liked to play? Oh wait, that was EQ99, not P99. *playing what she likes*

Kagatob
05-09-2013, 03:20 AM
Every time you open your mouth, it just becomes more and more apparent that you have absolutely no idea what is going on.

Nobody asked you a damn thing min/maxer.

http://wiki.project1999.org/Mana_Battery_-_Class_One
http://wiki.project1999.org/Mana_Battery_-_Class_Two
http://wiki.project1999.org/Mana_Battery_-_Class_Three
http://wiki.project1999.org/Mana_Battery_-_Class_Four
http://wiki.project1999.org/Mana_Battery_-_Class_Five
Says Velious era content, so unless there's some exploit I'm not aware of...

falkun
05-09-2013, 07:38 AM
Nobody asked you a damn thing min/maxer.
http://wiki.project1999.org/Mana_Battery_-_Class_One
http://wiki.project1999.org/Mana_Battery_-_Class_Two
http://wiki.project1999.org/Mana_Battery_-_Class_Three
http://wiki.project1999.org/Mana_Battery_-_Class_Four
http://wiki.project1999.org/Mana_Battery_-_Class_Five
Says Velious era content, so unless there's some exploit I'm not aware of...

Nilbog: Plane of Sky - Quest item recharging now works. You may purchase mana batteries from the Key Master.

Essentially added during the last patch (considering V27 is mostly a fungi fix from v26).

Tecmos Deception
05-09-2013, 07:56 AM
min/maxer.

You should call me something else. I'm pretty sure that EVERY min/maxer considers it a compliment to be called one.

Kagatob
05-09-2013, 08:44 AM
Essentially added during the last patch (considering V27 is mostly a fungi fix from v26).

:confused: Why Velious era content before Velious? Was this ever elaborated upon?

You should call me something else. I'm pretty sure that EVERY min/maxer considers it a compliment to be called one.

Every ruthless dictator considered it a compliment to be called ruthless dictator too. What's your point?

Oh you're proud that you're a douchebag. Congrats?

falkun
05-09-2013, 08:48 AM
:confused: Why Velious era content before Velious? Was this ever elaborated upon?
Of course it was, moron. Stop being lazy. This forum has a search function for a reason. As Tecmos said, stop talking because every time your post it just becomes more and more apparent that you have absolutely no idea what is going on.

Edit: And I fixed the wiki for you. Thanks for pointing out the errors on the wiki and doing absolutely nothing about it.

Tecmos Deception
05-09-2013, 09:01 AM
Every ruthless dictator considered it a compliment to be called ruthless dictator too. What's your point?

Yeah, I'm sure Hitler would experienced gratitude if you'd walked up to him and called him a ruthless dictator.

Kagatob
05-09-2013, 09:10 AM
Yeah, I'm sure Hitler would experienced gratitude if you'd walked up to him and called him a ruthless dictator.

I'm blond haired and blue eyed so I doubt he'd of minded much. Funny you devolved it to Nazis so quickly though. :rolleyes:

Tecmos Deception
05-09-2013, 09:11 AM
Yep, I'm a Nazi. Boy, you're quick!

Kagatob
05-09-2013, 09:20 AM
Yep, I'm a Nazi. Boy, you're quick!

Reading comprehension for the loss...

Swish
05-09-2013, 09:25 AM
Mussolini is far more interesting, people need to get over Hitler.

Kagatob
05-09-2013, 09:31 AM

I agree, both he and Francisco Franco had much more interesting backstories tbh.

Tecmos Deception
05-09-2013, 09:33 AM

Dogs are more interesting.

Tecmos Deception
05-09-2013, 09:36 AM
Funny you devolved it to Nazis so quickly though. :rolleyes:

You brought up ruthless dictators, and I went from that to Hitler, and then you said ^

If that quote in that context doesn't imply that I'm a Nazi, wtf is it supposed to mean?

Wotsirb401
05-09-2013, 10:15 AM

Lol 2 FD's before you can't charge it then another trip to sky

Would have to agree with Shaman in this argument though.... who else can solo Velious dragons?

Nagash
05-09-2013, 02:20 PM
I'm amazed Godwin's Law kicked in only on page 4.

who else can solo Velious dragons?

If I remember correctly, Chanty and druid with charm (some dragons at least, by charming the worms in the WW), maybe an epic mage. Not sure about necros as all the named dragons of that zone summon IIRC.

Briscoe
05-09-2013, 02:47 PM
If I remember correctly, Chanty and druid with charm (some dragons at least, by charming the worms in the WW), maybe an epic mage. Not sure about necros as all the named dragons of that zone summon IIRC.

A druid is certainly capable of soloing Yeldema (http://wiki.project1999.org/Yeldema), although Yeldema is hardly a WW dragon; a druid soloing any of the other dragons would be a much more impressive feat.

heartbrand
05-09-2013, 03:09 PM
Don't get the obsession with WW dragons apart from Sont, they drop shit.

Swish
05-09-2013, 03:23 PM

Agreed. How long til cats on the moon?

Kagatob
05-09-2013, 03:58 PM
You brought up ruthless dictators, and I went from that to Hitler, and then you said ^

If that quote in that context doesn't imply that I'm a Nazi, wtf is it supposed to mean?

I'm amazed Godwin's Law kicked in only on page 4.
Though for me it's page 2 but whateves.

webrunner5
05-09-2013, 09:55 PM
Though for me it's page 2 but whateves.

When have you EVER posted a response worth a Fuck? :eek: What else can I say?? I have been on here for close to 3 years. You have to be the most useless poster on here.

Autotune
05-09-2013, 10:16 PM
mages are great if you know how to use one, which goes for just about every class.

They aren't as good as necros in most scenarios, but they are better in a couple of cases. This isn't to say they can't accomplish the same goals a necromancer does, it's just that they have a much "harder" time.

Shamans are better soloing class than necros, they aren't really a better farming class though. Yeah, they can solo shit that no other class can, but it takes them quite awhile to do it. Velious is when they will shine and necros won't, but in Kunark, there isn't much a Shaman can solo that is worth it where a necro can't solo.

Moving to duo, a shaman is MUCH more preferable than a necro. Which is where you should be focusing on. EQ, DUOs, and TRIOs, are where the real power houses come in at.

If you're going to look at a class that works well with a few others, NECRO > Mage by far in DUOs and TRIOs. Shaman is obviously one of the top DUO partners and a decent TRIO member.

So are you looking to farm? keep your necro and skip mage.
are you looking to solo the hardest mobs that are soloable? roll a Shaman
Are you wanting to Duo and trio content? Stick with your necro or reroll a Shaman.
Are you wanting to play a mage just to play one? Then why did you make this?

Coth can be used as a means to escape aggro, but it's not a quick escape. Necros have so many more tricks tho.

Flamewraith
05-09-2013, 11:21 PM
I play a mage and I have duoed from 1 to 47 with my friend who uses a necro. Although I admit that there is a much better combo out there, and that although mages can solo, they can't do it to the velocity that a necro can, but it's quite a bit of fun. I have thoroughly enjoyed the utilities and damage my mage can do, and if you don't like soloing too much mages are definitely sought after in the group scene.

trinkets
05-10-2013, 12:27 AM

Uhh, killing dragons is fun? :P I believe they can also drop some of the new spells?

Splorf22
05-10-2013, 12:56 AM
Have you ever soloed the crypt Stealin?

Anyway I would say the big advantage of the Necro is charm. If charm is in play, then a (skilled recharming) necro will be more effective than even an epic mage, but if not I don't really see the advantages. I suppose the coming invis pulling nerf will make necros FD tricks a lot more important, but Magicians can also do some voodoo shit with Call of the Hero, especially if there is space to train stuff around a bit. I've been playing around on a magician and I think I can split most 3-4 mob camps simply by sending in the earth pet, maloing my target, running away, root netting it, and then CoHing myself.

I guess we can quibble but I would think a magician is roughly comparable to a non-charming Necromancer in most of the cases.

Autotune
05-10-2013, 01:39 AM
I was probably the only mage that solo split frenzy with earth pet tricks lol

No, no you were not.

Razdeline
05-10-2013, 01:55 AM
No, no you were not.

lololol

Razdeline
05-10-2013, 01:58 AM
It's true. Mages lack a lot of vital "tricks" that Necro/Sk's have. Hence me rerolling from an Epic mage.

Epic mage pet is bonkers here, and pet damage/mitigation is not right. (shittier)

Sorry to dissapoint.

There are some good tricks out there for playing a mage, but just does not tally up to a Necro. Mages are great for group dps though. And the pets are better.

Razdeline
05-10-2013, 02:02 AM
Damage shields do great damage, backstab pet is awesome with a necro duo (fearkite), mage can CoH necro in case of a shitty pull. Sword of Runes proc with pets (Also more dps).

Mage has the ability to blast something down in the needed case. When duoing it is always good just to hoard mana on a mage.

gotrocks
05-10-2013, 04:36 AM
Shaman would like to have a word with you

Autotune
05-10-2013, 05:20 AM
How the hell would you know, banned cheater?

Not only did I not post how. You're bad. You wouldn't even know unless I told you.

I was around pre-kunark.

There was one gnome mage I know broke/cleared that camp, he used to solo farm ghoul lord as well.

P.S. You weren't that great of a mage.

webrunner5
05-10-2013, 11:14 AM
Wow if we can get Harrison, Autotune and Alarti0001 all on here at once it will seem like the good old days lol.:p Sort of miss the fireworks.

webrunner5
05-10-2013, 11:17 AM
Wow if we can get Harrison, Autotune and Alarti0001 all on here at once it will seem like the good old days lol.:p And now with Bob back. Well what can I say.:cool: Sort of miss the Fireworks.

Akim
05-10-2013, 06:01 PM
I was around pre-kunark.

There was one gnome mage I know broke/cleared that camp, he used to solo farm ghoul lord as well.

P.S. You weren't that great of a mage.

confirmed - solo'd w/ mage and bard before kunark

enchanter too.. but was before charm was nerfed

webrunner5
05-10-2013, 08:30 PM
confirmed - solo'd w/ mage and bard before kunark

enchanter too.. but was before charm was nerfed

Trouble is about everything has been nerfed since this game started. Classic. :rolleyes: And well maybe lots to go.

Autotune
05-10-2013, 10:22 PM
Charm wasn't nerfed. It was fixed.

Before the fix charm was stupidly broken.

Nothing like charming a mob as a necro and FDing to let it just fight it out with another mob risk free.

quido
05-10-2013, 11:12 PM
Or charm lasting full duration 99% of the time every cast, no resist debuff.

that was true in 2009 - not anymore

though a retarded overstatement, charm probably does need an adjustment in that direction

Razdeline
05-11-2013, 01:12 AM
It's cute that a confirmed and banned cheater thinks he has the ability to judge others.

Lets talk about the Mage Pre-Kunark.(on P99)

Things that people exploited as a mage that were not technically "Exploits":

1) Unlimited chain pets with no fear of ever getting aggro.
2) Pets damage/mitigation were better than they are now.(was nerfed in Kunark on this server, necro pets too)
3) The money maker right here: You could reclaim your pet and gain mana back like a manastone (without the loss of health), regardless of whatever the pet's health was.

So before we try to whip out our metal dicks and attempt to be badass, remember, we are all exploiters of broken mechanics.