PDA

View Full Version : red monk starting stats into dex??

TreegreatesT
05-06-2013, 10:10 AM
Asking for endgame.

On blue most will say stamima because str. Is so easy to max.

On red ...is 20 dex the way to go for more tstaff procs???

Schortt
05-08-2013, 08:49 AM
for endgame

Which stage of the endgame are you talking? In Kunark you are not going to max your DEX without buffs so for now that DEX will never go to waste when you're running around solo.

In Velious, if you ever get an ST key and snag a primal weapon, those points will be less useful (Avatar proc gives +100STR/AGI/DEX/ATK for 6 minutes at 60 - note that it does not give any STA). Planning with that ultimate endgame in mind means you might want to put your points in STA, though that extra dex will still help you proc your Avatar buff initially in situations where you get jumped without it running.

Primal weapons aside, A lot of people give STA more weight during character creation because DEX is much more widely available on gear than STA is during Kunark. This changes to some degree on high-end gear in Velious, but you'll likely still have more DEX than STA on your gear unless you're absolutely rolling in the best loot available. In either case, it's highly unlikely you'll end up with 255 in either stat while soloing without a primal weapon.

Personally, I'd go with STA - 20 STA = 80HP for a 60 monk and that is a useful thing in pretty much all situations, and it's ultimately the best choice when planning with primal in mind. But, if you really want to make a proc-focused character, which is not just a gimmick on Red like it would be on Blue, then go for it. It's not going to make or break your character either way.

Bazia
05-08-2013, 09:57 AM
going dex is stupid, even if you sacrifice all resist and str/sta gear to attain 200+ dex your proc rate only goes up slightly

stack hp and resists fuck dex, oh yeah so I would suggest STA for the short answer

TreegreatesT
05-10-2013, 01:07 PM
Thanks for the responses!

The way I'm looking at it...

What is going to win fights? Is it an extra proc of a weapon or 80 extra hp?

And the plan would not be to focus on dex gear...
but rather to focus on Resists/HP gear like the above poster said.
With that in mind...and with a focus on soloing...is having that extra 20 dex going to allow me more flexibility to focus my gear on hp/resists while having a character with a slightly higher proc rate.

Colgate
05-18-2013, 12:47 AM
if you have any likelihood of getting a tstaff, dex

otherwise, sta

kotton05
05-18-2013, 02:14 AM
if you have any likelihood of getting a tstaff, dex

otherwise, sta

This I'd say! One well place proc = death of your pc target