PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know how the mana regen ticks work?

Crenshinabon
05-07-2013, 11:10 PM
So I am playing a shaman.
Have to stand frequently to canni.

I have tried to judge when best time to cast is, so I try to cast in between ticks. Thing is sometimes the tick happens when it should but sometimes it seems like it doesnt. On top of that sometimes if I stand after the tick it goes back down. On top of that sometimes it ticks twice.

Whats the deal? Does it even matter when I stand or am I literally losing out on mana by not sitting at the correct times? And if thats the case why does the tick sometimes go away and why sometimes tick twice?

Thanks!
=P

Clark
05-07-2013, 11:28 PM
Odd, that is an old bug that used to occur when you'd stand up after a tick your mana would go back down. Was that way for an incredibly long time as well. Was absolutely annoying as shit.

They fixed it to my knowledge because I haven't experienced that problem in quite some time. Hmm.

SirAlvarex
05-07-2013, 11:31 PM
Odd, that is an old bug that used to occur when you'd stand up after a tick your mana would go back down. Was that way for an incredibly long time as well. Was absolutely annoying as shit.

They fixed it, and I haven't experienced that problem in quite some time. Hmm.

I still have this issue. It's been annoying when I play my Shaman. Usually I wait for the "down-tick", where the mana jumps up by say 24, then down by 8 to match what meditate should be giving me (16). But even that doesn't seem to be correct sometimes, as sometimes the following Cani cast only nets me something like 4 mana (thus negating the 16 from meditate).

I'd be curious to hear from people who don't have an issue with meditate.

Clark
05-07-2013, 11:33 PM
Wish I knew how I got mine to correct itself to share. Been so long since I had that issue, and it just stopped outta the blue.

Crenshinabon
05-08-2013, 01:09 AM
I still have this issue. It's been annoying when I play my Shaman. Usually I wait for the "down-tick", where the mana jumps up by say 24, then down by 8 to match what meditate should be giving me (16). But even that doesn't seem to be correct sometimes, as sometimes the following Cani cast only nets me something like 4 mana (thus negating the 16 from meditate).

I'd be curious to hear from people who don't have an issue with meditate.

You nailed it. Sometimes it does this also. Just seems super random. Like I can even cast canni right before my tick hits, which in theory i would miss it, sit down afterwards and get a tick almost instantly like it picked up where it left off. Other times this does not happen. Seems sooo random... whats the deal?

Anyone know the formula etc? Any gm attention would be so win. Cannot find any real explanation of how ticks work anywhere.

Malimus
05-08-2013, 02:08 AM
I am almost 100% sure this problem mostly effects people with a not so great internet connection. I had this problem for a long time as well as hanging when i tried to zone about 60% of the time.

All seemed to improve greatly when i switched to a more stable reliable ISP. Bell 4G network.

Estu
05-08-2013, 10:37 AM
I don't even bother trying to time cannibalize with med ticks, partially because of this issue but partially because it just seems silly and semi-exploitative. When I need to cannibalize I just do it all at once, sitting for the one second between casts, then sit back down to med properly.

Splorf22
05-08-2013, 11:23 AM
My understanding is that the client is assuming you are getting out-of-combat regen and then the server enforces the harsh, classic, reality.

Rhambuk
05-08-2013, 11:40 AM
My understanding is that the client is assuming you are getting out-of-combat regen and then the server enforces the harsh, classic, reality.

On your end you see the tick so you stand up, in the process of you standing up info goes to the server and back, the server says you stood up to quickly and you lose that tick.

Kind of what it sounds like...

anyway on my sham I was sitting about 100% of the time, i had a hotkey to /cast canni sit /cast canni sit. so unless it ticked during my cast id be sitting and get the med regen. Seemed to work but that was well over a year ago.

falkun
05-08-2013, 11:47 AM

This. So wait for the "downtick" to reset your mana to the correct amount before standing.

1) Sitting. Mana at XXXX.
2) Sitting. Client-side med tick jumps to XXXX + yy.
3) Still sitting. Server-side med tick puts you at XXXX + zz, where zz < yy.
4) Stand.
5) Cast.
6) Sit before client-side med tick.

I believe the game does the meditiation check at both the server and client-side med ticks, so if your latency is large enough that these times are far apart, you may not be able to cast between med ticks successfully because failing either check means you are standing for the purposes of the med tick.

Vondra
05-08-2013, 11:55 AM
I've had this problem since starting on p99 a long time ago.

It doesn't happen all the time either.

Was a pain when quad kiting on a druid where I wanted to run away, med, run, med, cast, run, med etc.

It's actually something that has prevented me rolling a shaman since I figured it would be a pain dealing with it constantly when dealing with working cannibalize in between ticks.

SirAlvarex
05-08-2013, 02:07 PM
I typically have a sub 80 ping, so if that's an issue that'd be pretty crappy.

It was explained a long time ago that the way meditation works changed at some point, and that the client is using the "new" method while the server has a different way of doing "ticks".

My install of P99 is pretty old (installed it back in 2010 and have just copy/pasted the contents each time I reformat/change computers), so maybe it's possible someone changed something with the "installer" or whatever that was created (triple vagueness in that sentence for accuracy).

For now (and to help others), what I do is I play around and find that "sweet spot" where I can use my Cani macro to get maximum mana (so meditate + cani value). Then I start counting to 6 (server ticks every 6 seconds), and click it again. That usually does it for me when I'm actually trying to maximize effeciency.

webrunner5
05-08-2013, 02:22 PM
My ping is in the high 60's low 70's. On my Shaman I just dance. Now way I can catch the right tick time after time. And I have a really good connection. I gave up trying a long time ago.

Crenshinabon
05-08-2013, 05:06 PM
Well, right now I just wait for the tick. Wait an extra second just in case, canni, then sit again and repeat. This seems to work usually but still is inconsistent at times as I mention below.

The issue is this is a huge pain and not very fun staring at my manabar trying to be so precise. Sometimes i just get impatient and canni repeatedly while sitting waiting on the 1 second global cooldown or whatever it is.

The thing is that even doing this method I still seem to get a tick of mana every now and then almost like the server recognizes where it left off so it DOESNT skip my mana meditation tick......

Any confirmation? I realize that waiting in between the ticks works (most the time)

The main questions here are.
1) Why do i sometimes gain 2 ticks of mana while sitting after I cast canni?
2) Why do I sometimes lose my tick of mana while sitting after I cast cannit. (I see it could be the server recognizing i am standing too fast but this even happens after I sit down sometimes)
3) Why does it seem like the ticks are not consistent and sometimes I get a tick of meditation regen when I should not and vica versa?

Seems so random and inconsistent.... just hoping for a dev response or seomthing so I can put my mind at ease.... would be so nice to just hear "Don't worry about the timing of the tick and cast canni as I please" Which i sometimes do anyways.

Just would suck big time if I am literally losing my ticks of mana regen.

Pyrocat
05-09-2013, 05:04 AM
Obviously the answer is to get a manastone.

Pyrocat
05-09-2013, 05:10 AM
The main questions here are.
1) Why do i sometimes gain 2 ticks of mana while sitting after I cast canni?
2) Why do I sometimes lose my tick of mana while sitting after I cast cannit. (I see it could be the server recognizing i am standing too fast but this even happens after I sit down sometimes)
3) Why does it seem like the ticks are not consistent and sometimes I get a tick of meditation regen when I should not and vica versa?

1. Disconnect between client and server (probably due to latency) and the game messes up
2. Disconnect between client and server (probably due to latency) and the game messes up
3. Disconnect between client and server (probably due to latency) and the game messes up

Seems so random and inconsistent.... just hoping for a dev response or seomthing so I can put my mind at ease.... would be so nice to just hear "Don't worry about the timing of the tick and cast canni as I please" Which i sometimes do anyways.

Don't worry about the timing of the tick and cast canni as you please

Nune
05-09-2013, 06:40 AM
whenever my mana tick gets weird i spam drinks till im full and it usually stops. I know drinking till full was the cure for the old mana-hang bug, dunno if it applies here, and perhaps I'm just placebo-ing myself.

falkun
05-09-2013, 07:34 AM
The good news is the server tick, once nailed down, is fairly consistent, especially if you don't zone. Once you've figured out the server tick the first time, for the rest of your canni dancing you can simply count out your 6sec in your head and you should be good to go. This does assume a stable internet connection.