PDA

View Full Version : The Lost Art of "Waiting to Engange"

susvain0362
05-14-2013, 01:23 AM
So anyway, i'm a paladin and i can tank/hold aggro quite well with nice gear for a lvl 27. But one thing i notice CONSTANTLY, whether in-game or on the forums is people complaining/shitting on warrior aggro. I played a warrior on live and i was 10-12 years old and i never had a problem in groups or on raids.

I feel like I am THE ONLY one who remembers calling for people to engage on the mob. Back in the day it use to be the warrior would get aggro, taunt once or twice and attack a few rounds then hit a macro calling for people to assist/engage the mob. This does not exist on p1999. I'm just wondering why? Did people forget or is it because the game is easier and don't have the patience?

Adnan
05-14-2013, 01:31 AM
im with ya man

Phats
05-14-2013, 02:04 AM
Aggro was somewhat determined by fast hitting weapons on live; Not sure it works that way here.

Splorf22
05-14-2013, 02:14 AM
No one in an xp group wants to wait even 10 seconds for the warrior to get aggro. Thats lost dps!

Nune
05-14-2013, 02:48 AM
Well bro, the thing is. Yes, guilds do that here, sending the tank to a raid mob, letting him build starter aggro and swarming on his call is MMO 101. But, on P99, when the warrior was running to the dragon a Bard would have gone by 600 miles an hour, tagged it, shouted FTE and ran in circles for 2 hours while 4 neckbeadrs sound the horn of batphone across the echoing basements of the mid-west

susvain0362
05-14-2013, 02:49 AM
Ok i didnt mean on raids. I'm sure that is the case.I am talking about exp groups specifically.

Clark
05-14-2013, 03:20 AM
Well bro, the thing is. Yes, guilds do that here, sending the tank to a raid mob, letting him build starter aggro and swarming on his call is MMO 101. But, on P99, when the warrior was running to the dragon a Bard would have gone by 600 miles an hour, tagged it, shouted FTE and ran in circles for 2 hours while 4 neckbeadrs sound the horn of batphone across the echoing basements of the mid-west

http://s8.postimg.org/aki975rat/neckbeard.jpg

Nune
05-14-2013, 03:44 AM
http://s8.postimg.org/aki975rat/neckbeard.jpg

pic delivers

Brandonian10
05-14-2013, 04:32 AM
You're not alone, I remember quite well.. even during the Luclin era this was the norm for my regular xp group. Typically we would just wait until the mob hit a certain % health to engage.

It does seem like people have forgotten that here.. I also know what you mean about the warrior taunting a few times to build aggro. My uncle played a warrior on live during classic era and was blown away when I told him it didn't actually help you accumulate hate on P99. Who knows though, we were very young back then.

Bubbles
05-14-2013, 04:45 AM

lol awesome.

Itap
05-14-2013, 07:21 AM
When I group with my 34 warrior, nobody waits for me to build aggro. Perhaps its lack of patience, or maybe people are just used to alts that are twinked out the ass. Potential swing hate on this server is screwy, but it is what it is.

SamwiseRed
05-14-2013, 07:27 AM
it comes down to people are morans. they rather have a healer throw heals all over the damn place rather than just the tank. this will ensure maximum downtime between pulls because the cleric is oom. more downtime = more forumquesting which is far more entertaining than the game itself.

Itap
05-14-2013, 07:39 AM
more downtime = more forumquesting which is far more entertaining than the game itself.

lmao sig-worthy

Tecmos Deception
05-14-2013, 07:51 AM
No one has forgotten about it, they just don't do it. Who is pulling aggro off of warriors usually? An epic rogue? A monk with an RFS? A twinked shaman who slows at 99%? All of them can probably take hits better than anything except an equally-twinked warrior anyways. A 10-second head start is hardly going to let a untwinked warrior keep aggro over any of these anyways unless he gets really lucky with procs in those 10 seconds.

Now if you're in a group full of untwinked characters, it would behoove them to let the warrior establish some aggro before attacking I guess... but meh. The untwinked groups I tend to see when I'm tooling around on an alt are usually like, a group of 6 relatively untwinked people at pool in MM when there's also someone soloing half of the mobs from ent to GY. Doesn't really matter who is doing the tanking or how much mana your cleric is wasting healing squishy dudes when you have a group of 6 level 24s only pulling 10 blue cons every 25 minutes.

falkun
05-14-2013, 08:27 AM
a group of 6 level 24s only pulling 10 blue cons every 25 minutes.

This is why I don't understand why everyone loves MM so much. U/L-Guk has MANY more mobs for the same level ranges as MM.

vulzol
05-14-2013, 08:42 AM
This is why I don't understand why everyone loves MM so much. U/L-Guk has MANY more mobs for the same level ranges as MM.

MM is outdoors and easier to train out than Guk thus the lower risk of dying negates the lack of mobs in the zone.

Vega
05-14-2013, 09:15 AM
Back in the day it use to be the warrior would get aggro, taunt once or twice and attack a few rounds then hit a macro calling for people to assist/engage the mob.

??

Are you thinking of incite maybe?

myriverse
05-14-2013, 09:20 AM
Don't underestimate the appeal of hot vampire chicks.

Droog007
05-14-2013, 10:35 AM
??

Are you thinking of incite maybe?

Probably not.

1.1 dozen years later, it seems lots of people still don't understand the taunt skill.

webrunner5
05-14-2013, 10:38 AM
The untwinked groups I tend to see when I'm tooling around on an alt are usually like, a group of 6 relatively untwinked people at pool in MM when there's also someone soloing half of the mobs from ent to GY. Doesn't really matter who is doing the tanking or how much mana your cleric is wasting healing squishy dudes when you have a group of 6 level 24s only pulling 10 blue cons every 25 minutes.

You hit the nail on the head on that statement. :D

Splorf22
05-14-2013, 10:51 AM
Probably not.

1.1 dozen years later, it seems lots of people still don't understand the taunt skill.

Probably. You can't use taunt to build aggro.

Droog007
05-14-2013, 11:44 AM
Probably. You can't use taunt to build aggro.

Correct... not by yourself, anyway (can't tell if you're agreeing with my contradiction or counter-contradicting it :D )

webrunner5
05-14-2013, 05:18 PM
As a Warrior shooting a Arrow at the mob coming from a pretty good distance I have found works pretty well for good starting agro until some dufass casts a spell on it above 80% health. :eek:

letsallkillandy
05-14-2013, 05:30 PM
it comes down to people are morans. they rather have a healer throw heals all over the damn place rather than just the tank. this will ensure maximum downtime between pulls because the cleric is oom. more downtime = more forumquesting which is far more entertaining than the game itself.

As a poorly equipped cleric this describes my frustrations with the public groups perfectly.

Nogdar
05-15-2013, 04:40 AM
I think the complaints on warrior aggro have more to do with enchanters mezzing and shamans slowing and clerics healing etc. than idiot dps not waiting a sec to unleash the sauce