PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of joining, but...

fuji
06-30-2010, 11:17 AM
Hi guys,

I can't believe there is a server that plays only old EQ, this is crazy!

Anyways, like many others, I too quit after SoL, mainly because i hated AA grind and really enjoyed ToV raids.

I have a couple of questions though and I could not find a faq link, maybe someone has one?...

- This server is only the original game or does it include the first 2 expansions?

- Does it use the old character models or the updated SoL too?

- Is the game just as good as you remembered it from y2k? Or have newer games tarnished the feeling?

- Will I be just as addicted as before?

- I also plan on making a wizard again, so does epic need the strings or is it updated for the gear/golem?

Thanks.

Xumosa
06-30-2010, 11:21 AM
Hi guys,

Anyways, like many others, I too quit after SoL, mainly because i hated AA grind and really enjoyed ToV raids.

I have a couple of questions though and I could not find a faq link, maybe someone has one?...

- This server is only the original game or does it include the first 2 expansions?

- Is the game just as good as you remembered it from y2k? Or have newer games tarnished the feeling?

- I also plan on making a wizard again, so does epic need the strings or is it updated for the gear/golem?

Thanks.

http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=1002

only original for now kunark will release in the future

old character models are forced on

its just as good, get ready for nostalgia to kick your ass

ive found it alot less addictive this time around, but i think thats just me..because lots of ppl are addicted from what i can see haha..

probably will be original for epic, but its not out yet..

frefaln
06-30-2010, 11:22 AM
* Only original world right now, Kunark and Velious to come later.

* Old character models, and extremely unlikely Luclin models will ever be implemented based on threads I'm reading.

* The game is just as good, yes. Overall, loving it. The community on the whole isn't quite as friendly, and you'll have to look a little harder for sociable, trustworthy people if that's what is important to you.

* Newer games haven't tarnished old EQ at all. Challenge, class variety, and the unpredictability of human beings never gets old.

* I do not know if you'll be just as addicted :)

* Dunno the wizzy part, never played one.

Shannacore
06-30-2010, 11:23 AM

Yes

fuji
06-30-2010, 11:25 AM
Thanks for the replies.

One more question...

I played other eqemu servers before but only like 30-50 people were on at a time. Is there enough people on to give it the social experience as well? Like easily finding a group at any level and in most exp zones?

Thanks.

frefaln
06-30-2010, 11:28 AM
Depends on your starting city and time zone, but I can tell you that Freeport and Commonlands definitely have the "alive" feeling, frequently bustling with activity -- not just auctions in the tunnel but orc groups and such.

I rolled a Dwarf and saw quite a few people in Butcherblock as a lowbie but didn't land any groups. But I'm sure Crushbone gets its share of groups. As for Odus, I haven't been there but I'd venture a guess that it's still the armpit of Norrath and people stay away from there as much as possible.

Excision Rottun
06-30-2010, 11:29 AM
Server reaches 800+ at peak times at the moment.

That is with no boxxing, so that's 800 individual players.

Closer to 300-500 in off peak times.

holkan
06-30-2010, 11:32 AM
you shouldnt have any problems getting groups unless you play at off peak hours just have to go to the right zones.

Overcast
06-30-2010, 11:33 AM
Thanks for asking that - I was looking back through fairly recent posts to see if some of these questions were asked already :)

I'm new too - I will give it a spin tonight and see what I think.

Although, I'm kinda bummed I didn't find out about this sooner. :(

But in before Kunark will be cool enough. I originally started the day Kunark was released. I remember coming home with the game (my wife had already been playing for a couple months) and waiting a few hours for the servers to come back up.

But I had to patch and such anyway, so it was all good.

Think I might go with my original choice for EQ too - DE SK. Perhaps.. anyway.

Tronjer
06-30-2010, 11:35 AM
There is a decent population, a steady influx of new players (myself I convinced five ex guildies already) and no problem to find low level groups. Were almost 700 people online when I logged yesterday.

Agachak
06-30-2010, 11:37 AM
The game is just as good, yes. Overall, loving it. The community on the whole isn't quite as friendly, and you'll have to look a little harder for sociable, trustworthy people if that's what is important to you.
.. this. Basically get the hell off the forums. The mentality here will make you want to go on a shooting rampage to rid the world of petulant 20 somthings who have been mentally degenerated by the Internet into semi-literate, self-righteous, pompus asses. Mostly, anyway.

Population has increased leaps and bounds from when i started in January. Expect 800ish on Est evenings. and even 250ish off peak hours

Have fun, all in all it's a blast to play EQ again after all these years

Overcast
06-30-2010, 11:39 AM
.. this. Basically get the hell off the forums. The mentality here will make you want to go on a shooting rampage to rid the world of petulant 20 somthings who have been mentally degenerated by the Internet into semi-literate, self-righteous, pompus asses. Mostly, anyway.

Population has increased leaps and bounds from when i started in January. Expect 800ish on Est evenings. and even 250ish off peak hours

Have fun, all in all it's a blast to play EQ again after all these years

So funny.. how Sony says there would be no interest in EQ classic.
And off on some little known corner of the internet - more people are playing EQ Classic than Sony would ever want to admit to, lol.

Not just this server - others too, although this certainly seems to be the most compelling one I've found - in theory. The others are 'questionable'.

fuji
06-30-2010, 11:39 AM
Thanks guys.

Also...

How long has this server been live?

Thorjorkill
06-30-2010, 11:45 AM
Fuji you ask questions like a retarded census taker. Spit it out already!

:) Seriously though, you'll love it here. Server has been up for quite some time, its not hosted on someone's desktop, but on nice professional level hardware with a huge backbone (that is insanely expensive, so donate guys!)

guineapig
06-30-2010, 01:28 PM
Thanks guys.

Also...

How long has this server been live?

Since October.

We are currently past the events that unlocked The Temple of Solusek Ro and the Plane of hate but not quite to the point where the Plane of Air is unlocked.

fuji
06-30-2010, 02:06 PM
Are we also past the part where we can give no-drop items to bats to trade with others?

guineapig
06-30-2010, 02:24 PM
Are we also past the part where we can give no-drop items to bats to trade with others?

Was that some sort of bug in classic? Never heard of it.

Insedeel
06-30-2010, 02:42 PM
Hi guys,

Thanks.

Fuji, last night was my first night playing on this server, and I had a FREAKING BLAST.

I'm only level 3, died probably 15 times, got enough money to buy myself 2 8 slot backpacks, and RElearned some of the hard lessons (like spiderlings assist each other, and how much I hate shadow wolves and black bears when under level 4).

It was pure ecstacy last night, the deaths and all. If you had a true passion for classic eq, get ready man, cuz you've got it. The closest you can possibly get to it at the moment.

fuji
06-30-2010, 03:02 PM
Fuji, last night was my first night playing on this server, and I had a FREAKING BLAST.

I'm only level 3, died probably 15 times, got enough money to buy myself 2 8 slot backpacks, and RElearned some of the hard lessons (like spiderlings assist each other, and how much I hate shadow wolves and black bears when under level 4).

It was pure ecstacy last night, the deaths and all. If you had a true passion for classic eq, get ready man, cuz you've got it. The closest you can possibly get to it at the moment.

Ok, I am downloading it now. I have to say that i am happy this server kept the old skins, I never liked the new ones or how my characters clothes and face changed so much.

xorbier
06-30-2010, 03:30 PM
You will have zero issues finding groups. If anything you'll have to wait to get into a group as many zones are too crowded. I have a hard time believing the live servers had a 2k consistant population because when there are 800 ppl logged on here the zones like crushbone, unrest, sk, ec, sola, solb, paw, etc are completely packed and mobs are there is a lot of competition for mobs.

I'm enjoying the server as I did back in live and i've become addicted!

UberA13c
06-30-2010, 07:05 PM
I just recently started playing again also. I honestly thought there was no way in the world that I would come to honestly consistently enjoy classic again. I wake up do the stuff I need to, and find myself logging on. So it's definitely doing something right.

Sarkhan
06-30-2010, 08:35 PM
The moment I heard of this server I couldn't wait to join but due to computer issues and a bit of travelling I couldn't get started for nearly 2 weeks after finding out about it... Honestly I nearly died in that time. Now I have been on for almost two weeks and am LOVING EVERY MINUTE!

As for groups, you shouldn't have any troubles finding groups during on or off peak hours, especially at low lvl :-D
With the population being under 1k you actually have a chance at getting some named camps and quest NPCs.

Only thing that has me a little sad is I haven't been able to find any RP guilds yet :-/
But I've only been on for two weeks so I'm sure some will pop up eventually and until then I will keep an eye out for house ruled by Dark Elves.

Damaja
06-30-2010, 08:38 PM
Yes

what Shannacore meant was YES!!!!!!!

soup
06-30-2010, 10:14 PM
Thanks for the replies.

One more question...

I played other eqemu servers before but only like 30-50 people were on at a time. Is there enough people on to give it the social experience as well? Like easily finding a group at any level and in most exp zones?

Thanks.

There's enough people to where later on you'll start looking forward to playing off hours so that camps and farming spots will be open ;)

utenan
06-30-2010, 10:36 PM
There's enough people to where later on you'll start looking forward to playing off hours so that camps and farming spots will be open ;)

The only time I can get in a lguk group is off peak hours lol

vinx
06-30-2010, 11:31 PM
Was that some sort of bug in classic? Never heard of it.

yea it was classic, iirc they fixed that right around kunark.
idk if it was few weeks before or after but that was a thing back then :)

i wasnt high enough to pass anything down but i remember a few people who were doin it and i was like fook! someone toss me some goodies!
(then it was nerfed, story of my life)