View Full Version : Server Down

Rogean
11-22-2009, 12:39 AM
DDoS'ed again. Isn't that lovely?

Down indefinitly.

We will probably find a new host.

Firrewhisper
11-22-2009, 12:41 AM
Nooo, some people are beyond cruel. I hope you find out who is doing this.

Rogean
Nooo, some people are beyond cruel. I hope you find out who is doing this.

Impossible.

Zhao
Post their addresses, I will seriously murder them. No joke, I will kill them.

Skifire
11-22-2009, 12:42 AM
Down indefinitely? Why so?

Rogean
11-22-2009, 12:42 AM

What IP Address? From where? We have none.

Jinkeybhoy
11-22-2009, 12:43 AM
The person who did this out probably has no friends which is why he decided to release his bottled up anger in this way on a Saturday night. I hope his mom's basement is warm at least...

Rogean
11-22-2009, 12:44 AM
You guys can rant all you want, say how much you hate the person who pulls stupid fucking shit like this, and how much you would like to find out where they live and beat the living shit out of them, but no names and accusations please.

Skeletonya
11-22-2009, 12:45 AM
Well, thanks for a fun couple weeks Rogean...

*shrug*

I guess I got to wait for SOE to put a new progression server up. That sucks cuz I was really enjoying Project1999

Otto
Why?

What could possibly warrant this kind of action against a server like this?

Are you seriously that butthurt about the whole guild drama? Is it specific people?

Why do you gotta fuck with me and 200 other people who haven't done shit to you just to "teach a few people a lesson"?

Their time is apparently so worthless that they gotta spend it fucking with people who just want to enjoy their free time.

Skifire
So, why is it that all the other servers made it back up but ours did not? Can an attack be directed at one server?

Zhao
11-22-2009, 12:46 AM
If you find out who did this, PM me their HOME address. I will seriously decapitate them.

Reiker
11-22-2009, 12:47 AM
nm..

Otto
You guys can rant all you want, say how much you hate the person who pulls stupid fucking shit like this, and how much you would like to find out where they live and beat the living shit out of them, but no names and accusations please.

I had to edit my post twice because i missed this reply.

Why not bring their names out to the public?

Bones
Zhao will do it man dont fuck with him he crazy dawg

Rogean
11-22-2009, 12:48 AM
I had to edit my post twice because i missed this reply.

Why not bring their names out to the public?

Because the last thing I need is them ddos'ing eqemulator next.

Jinkeybhoy
11-22-2009, 12:48 AM
You guys just collected 5x the required amount of money needed for a month from trusting players and you're just shutting it all down without finding a new host? Lovely, indeed.

Please tell me you're not being serious.

Rogean
11-22-2009, 12:49 AM
If we don't get a new server, donations will be refunded.

Otto
11-22-2009, 12:49 AM
Please tell me you're not being serious.

The administration didn't shut it off, the people hosting the server did. 2nd dds, why would they let the server stay up?

Bones
11-22-2009, 12:50 AM
You guys just collected 5x the required amount of money needed for a month from trusting players and you're just shutting it all down without finding a new host? Lovely, indeed.

Lol'd. It doesn't matter what host they use.

Otto
11-22-2009, 12:50 AM
Because the last thing I need is them ddos'ing eqemulator next.

Makes sense. Fuckin a.

Zhao
11-22-2009, 12:51 AM
If I find out who did this, I am going to murder them for real.

bopice
11-22-2009, 12:52 AM
I hope we get a new server. =(

Alemada and I "matahari" had a great time playing the game we all love.

Whomever did this has no heart, and feelings. Very selfish.

Thex dagger was almost in my hand :)

Skifire
11-22-2009, 12:53 AM
Well... that really sucks. I was having a blast on here. Anyone able to simply explain why we cant reuse our existing server?

Clawspirit
11-22-2009, 12:54 AM
This is classic sociopath behavior, your anger and outrage at the occurrence is actually what they are after. Sure, they (for lack of a more accurate term) screwed over a bunch of innocent people...but they like that. You want to hurt them, forgive and forget, and move on with your lives. Those without a real life "audience" of people that care for them, and people they care about, find online outlets to wield pseudo "power" over. Trust me, your real life infinitely places you in an echelon light years ahead of their stunted social circle. Pity them, and go do any number of equally rewarding things, since all they have to lord over you is a video game.

So sad....

Rogean
Because the data center terminated it.

bopice
This attacker didn't know what he unleased. Rippem apart Zhao!!!

Skifire
11-22-2009, 12:55 AM
So P1999 was hosted on a bigger, corporate server (more than just a home set up) and due to the attack the company closed it?

And they will not restart it?

Reiker
11-22-2009, 12:56 AM
I'm not trying to be confrontational. It's the exact opposite, I have a high degree of respect for the work that's gone into the server, but that's why this situation is so frustrating. Again, nothing against you Rogean, but I know for a complete fact you know exactly who the attacker is and that you at the very least have the IP(s) they used to connect to the server.

Kylien
aw, and this server was so much fun! :(

Orichalcum
So, i'm fairly ignorant about how DDoS attacks on servers work - but is there really no way to prevent them from happening? I assume if there is a method for prevention, it would cost more - is there an option for some sort of prevention method that the community could donate more to support? I know I'd be willing and most others would be too. How do the servers for, say, EQ live protect against DDoS attacks?

Rogean
11-22-2009, 12:57 AM
If you were that company, and one of your clients who pays one subscription per month, is getting attacked, affecting the connectivity of DOZENS of servers.. what is the logical decision? To deal with it and potentially lose dozens of customers because they're servers are going down every day, or get rid of the single cause of the problem, the one server being attacked. One subscription lost is better than dozens of lost subscriptions.

kuuky
11-22-2009, 12:57 AM
what does ddos stand for?

Skifire
11-22-2009, 12:58 AM
I see. And is that data on there just gone forever? (sorry this is all new to me)

messiah_b
So, i'm fairly ignorant about how DDoS attacks on servers work - but is there really no way to prevent them from happening? I assume if there is a method for prevention, it would cost more - is there an option for some sort of prevention method that the community could donate more to support? I know I'd be willing and most others would be too. How do the servers for, say, EQ live protect against DDoS attacks?

Extremely complicated and expensive realtime IP filtering services / software type stuff.

Maximus
Man i don't believe why someone would do this kinda shit.

How selfish do u have to be to take the fun of a whole community for ur own unjustified pleasure? Whoever's out there doing this shit is obviously the saddest most lonely piece of waste alive.

Why can't u just go hit a punchbag for a while and rid of ur sadness? honestly i even think we had a guild for those emo type.

Sucks to see the fun community be fucked over by one sad pile. get a life. go do something else productive, u obviously fail at online activities.

dck
Is this *uckin DDOS also makes the login server screwed up?
Takes lots retry for me to login.
Somebody please kill that *sshole.

Rogean

It all comes down to the data center's networking equipment, they can't handle an attack adequately enough.

kr0w17
11-22-2009, 12:59 AM
Just a recap:

Ok, tell me if I got this straight.

1) Someone upset about activities that happened in-game has attacked the P'99 server.

2)The Hacker has repeatedly brought this server down multiple times throughout the day.

3) Under threat of continual and sustained attacks, the admins are bringing the server down permanently.

4)People are aware of the identity of the Hacker. I am unclear on why but I assume he/she made threats prior to the attacks.

5)There is no way to prevent the attacks, at least not permanently because the Hacker will just find another way to attack the server.

The world of the EMU server is a wacky, silly place.

Rogean
11-22-2009, 12:59 AM
Is this *uckin DDOS also makes the login server screwed up?
Takes lots retry for me to login.
Somebody please kill that *sshole.

Same Data Center as EQEmulator.

Zhao
11-22-2009, 01:00 AM
if someone knows who did this, lets work together to find them. I will do the murderin, just PM me the home address.

Rogean
11-22-2009, 01:01 AM
We don't know who the attacker is. Thats the point of a distributed denial of service. The attack comes from hundreds of different IP addresses.

Otto
11-22-2009, 01:01 AM
I know the individualS responsible have been gaming together for 10ish years and are just laughing in vent together... thanks guys... appreciate it.

Dreadder
11-22-2009, 01:04 AM
Forgive my ignorance but couldn't you simply put a cap on the number of allowed connections to say 300 and deny any further connections to prevent flooding? Once again forgive my ignorance but could someone explain why that wouldn't work?

messiah_b
11-22-2009, 01:06 AM
Forgive my ignorance but couldn't you simply put a cap on the number of allowed connections to say 300 and deny any further connections to prevent flooding? Once again forgive me ignorance but could someone explain why that wouldn't work?

It has nothing to do with EQ.

Dolalin
Wasn't IB doing a fear raid at just that moment? Nice coincidence.

kilrathi1
:( I love this server and everything it stood for, I was having so much fun reliving the adventures of a time gone by. Thank you so much for allowing me to enjoy what I had when i was 17!

Zarniwooop
11-22-2009, 01:08 AM
Whoever is reading this thread and masturbating...

Karma. Always.

Root
11-22-2009, 01:09 AM
Well it looks like we will have to wait for the next eq classic server release. Thanks to all the guys of project 1999- all my buddies switched to your server from other much more lame games. R.I.P. Project 1999 ( 2009-2009 )

Deanob
11-22-2009, 01:09 AM
I would be willing to donate some more money to move the server to a different hosting provider with added security (if at all possible).

Skifire
11-22-2009, 01:10 AM
I would also be willing to donate to a more secure server. This thing was way to much fun to just watch in burn...

Kylien
ya i was going to donate anyway, but i'll do it sooner rather than later if it means getting the server back up

President
Donated 30$ already and i hear they nearly got 600$ in donations.. I hope this is not the end.. GF was about to be gone for 7 days over thanksgiving and 10 days over xmas... i wanted some evercrack

Sloth
sooo...one nerd ruins the whole server...forever? wow

Rogean
11-22-2009, 01:11 AM
We're probably going to atleast try a new host and see what happens. My feeling is theres no host that will put up with this but never know.

Orichalcum
11-22-2009, 01:11 AM
Would you not be able to just use a new data center that has better protection against this sort of thing? I assume that all the data on the current server is still there and could just be moved, right?

Xentin
11-22-2009, 01:12 AM
Is there a reason why the server cant be moved to a new host with higher security measures? There is no other server like this and it was growing a lot. Just feels like people are giving up when I dont see why. Excuse my ignorance on the whole situation but just feels like something is missing here.

messiah_b
11-22-2009, 01:12 AM
God it won't be down forever chill out.

tokso
11-22-2009, 01:13 AM
I will donate too if it means getting the server back up. Once I find out if it will come back up I'll donate.

messiah_b
11-22-2009, 01:13 AM
We're probably going to atleast try a new host and see what happens. My feeling is theres no host that will put up with this but never know.

They are certainly out there not sure about the cost though. I will look around a bit if I come up with anything will let you know.

Edit: http://www.f5.com/products/big-ip/ is the type of thing you look for, but not sure of getting hosting behind one of these things.

Orichalcum
11-22-2009, 01:14 AM
Yeah, I'm pretty sure you'd find that the people playing on this server will have pretty deep pockets if it means getting their crack back - myself included :)

Jinkeybhoy
11-22-2009, 01:14 AM
God it won't be down forever chill out.

haha fourms are a gathering place for drama queens.

I hope you're right though...

Deanob
11-22-2009, 01:15 AM
I work for a very very large software corporation and although Im in R&D I will try to get in contact with our network administrators and see what kind of measures/options are available out there...

Vonyor
11-22-2009, 01:16 AM

The lag we have been feeling all day long was this same thing. I doubt whomever is doing the DDoS is doing it because of IB. Lots of people have issues with IB and I doubt one person would screw over everyone that agrees with them just to punish IB.

I want to play EQ, why dont they go DDoS live, im sure they were banned from there too.

Rallyd
11-22-2009, 01:23 AM
The bottom line is what do we need to do to get it back up and keep it up, I know there are a TON of people that absolutely loved this server, myself included, and we want it back.

What Do we have to do.

Lance
11-22-2009, 01:25 AM
I want my Fat back.

Dabamf
11-22-2009, 01:26 AM
IB was in fear for days. It's not like they zoned in and 20 minutes later the DDOS happened.

Bottom line is you gotta be the king of douchebags--John Edwards level douchebag--to DDOS a god damn emulator server. How dare they offer a free server and not run it like I want! DDOS! Fuckin loser. Not to mention the amateur level of it. Master hacker brings down server of... ...200! Wow dude, so amazing. What's next, John Edwards, hacking the CIA?

President
11-22-2009, 01:28 AM
Someone loves the Bush cock.

Estharik
11-22-2009, 01:32 AM
someone call me when this bullshit is done, I just want to play and play peacefully

Bubbles
11-22-2009, 01:34 AM
For everyone asking if a new server host with "adequete/additional security measures", please stop insulting Rogean.

Cuz I can guarantee you they had every measure available to them in place after the last ddos attack.

Some things you just can't protect against, sadly.

I have mixed feelings about this whole mess. I was pretty close to letting it all go until Kunark anyways.

For those scoring at home, perhaps a little self-examination into whats transpired over the last month or so might go a long ways to uncovering the kinds of "security measures" and "PR" that doesn't come from electronic gizmos which can lessen the chances of these "isolated" incidents.

It's not EQLive, the smaller voices the majority feels they can just laugh off and continue about their merriment in spite of, can win in both the short term and the long run. We shouldn't need these maddening individual incidents to be continually reminded of it.

When I offerred to give up my ability to play to be a petition-clearing monkey GM, I was hoping a couple more would step forward and we'd have enough to make some players cut ties and GM and allow the Devs/GMs (who have about a year plus more time/effort put into this than*any* of us) to simply play and have fun. Well, outside of the obvious coding/pathing stuff only the devs are going to handle. I love this place enough to give up playing on it entirely in order for the server to survive and the drama to dwindle (like it'd ever go away completely lol).

I'm not saying if a handful of us stepped forward and did the same it would prevent future nerdrage ddos attacks, but it would at least chill out the temperment a bit around here (and yeah, I know no matter how impartial and wide-scoped my rants usually are, I'm just as guilty of piling on as the next guy).

This game is pretty effed.. It can bring out a lot of intensity in all of us over the most trivial things, in the grand scope of it all.

Peace. :)

Deanob
11-22-2009, 01:40 AM
Very nice post bubbles.

Ty for stepping up.

Estharik
11-22-2009, 01:41 AM
I wish someone would have cleared my petition. I was there since I was lvl20 and I'm.... was 27? one bubble from 28. I'd volunteer to handle trivial shit but there's no sign up place. I'd rather help someone doing guide crap than sitting around advertising for a group when there's nobody on. That kind of thing might not happen now though. Whoever is responsible for this DDoS bullshit... I have to go to a crappy ass "family" thing for thanksgiving tomorrow that I really didn't want to go to. The only thing that was making me halfway happy about going to sleep tonight is gone, and you're a douche.

I have all the respect for the Devs and anyone who has helped make the server what it is/was.

uncle
11-22-2009, 01:41 AM
If I find out who did this, I am going to murder them for real.

interwebz toughguy

Zhao
11-22-2009, 01:45 AM
interwebz toughguy

GIVE ME YOUR ADDRESS

Bubbles
11-22-2009, 01:45 AM

Pretty much 1/3 of IB's general Fear force wasn't IB a week ago, or isn't even IB currently.

I *highly* doubt this was done to annoy IB.

I do strongly remember a couple of GMs on the forums bringing out the "You're in our world now, deal with it" card recently. That's a far, far more likely culprit.

Go back and re-read all the rants and flames and drama bombs. Folks are a lot madder at the perceived favortism and corruption up top than they are about a faceless guild.

Example A:

Are people mad because IB_Rogue_01 has a Fanged Skull Stiletto? Or are they mad that the item, and Mayong, are in the game, as a GM Event mob, to be killed once (and presumably by IB anyways). Are people mad at that rogue? Or the several LOL parts of the preceeding sentence?

No need to make some long example-laden post of the other things people are whining about, but just that one quick refresher to illustrate that IB's just caught in the middle, it's every other aspect of each new "decision" in the server's progression/policies that gets the nerd rage to a fever pitch.

If I showed up tomorrow and a GM handed me a pair of Warrior epic 1.0s, would you be mad at me for having lightsabers, or mad at the GM who showed a tremendous lack of foresight and judgement? *That* is the reason people get so bent out of shape, these forums swell up with pages of inane personal attacks and meaningless banter, and also the VERY reason we're staring at this thread pondering what to do next.

If you honestly think we're not playing Classic EQ right now because of IB, you are seriously, seriously, missing the point. Even if I could pretend for a second I care either way about the guild drama, the fact that IB is raiding in Fear and actually progressing in a relatively classic timeline finally would be a reason to *stop* a potential ddos attack, not start it.

Zarniwooop
11-22-2009, 01:47 AM
Entirely irrelevant. They did it because they're diseased little vermin. All that matters is where do we go from here.

uncle
GIVE ME YOUR ADDRESS

Are you mad are ya pissed? Are you gonna point your gun at your computer screen and it will hit me? Maybe stick a knife thru the screen and get me?

get the fuck outta here. feels awesome to be powerless doesnt it?

Bubbles
I wish someone would have cleared my petition. I was there since I was lvl20 and I'm.... was 27? one bubble from 28. I'd volunteer to handle trivial shit but there's no sign up place. I'd rather help someone doing guide crap than sitting around advertising for a group when there's nobody on. That kind of thing might not happen now though. Whoever is responsible for this DDoS bullshit... I have to go to a crappy ass "family" thing for thanksgiving tomorrow that I really didn't want to go to. The only thing that was making me halfway happy about going to sleep tonight is gone, and you're a douche.

I have all the respect for the Devs and anyone who has helped make the server what it is/was.

Doesn't work like that. Take a deep breath, delete all your accounts, and apply. It's the only way it would work. Those frolicking around in GM Robes handling the mundance day-to-day work load of unstucks, petitions, booting the racist remarks and tales of Danth's physical prowess in OOC, and enforcing the PnP, should never have live accounts on the server. It's a lot trickier with Devs, since finding people to give up their playtime to actually mess with path nodes, script, and the nuts and bolts is a much, much harder find.

(and p.s., don't delete anything until the server is back up in place and folks like Rogean and Nilbog consider the idea first.. heh)

edit : and p.p.s. just because some guy who now has 2 posts is claiming victory, don't assume it's not a frame up job of the original toon who no longer plays).

nilbog
11-22-2009, 01:53 AM
Wow. ddos-ed to death. I consider that some type of accomplishment :) You are part of a server and community powerful enough to cause enough e-rage to amass a zombie army intent on the destruction of Norrath.

News will be posted as soon as possible in regards to a new hosting location.

Thanks for your continued support.

Sorry for the continued drama.

justiceleague
11-22-2009, 01:54 AM
GRAND FINALE:

The day The Internet Died (http://wepump.in/music/vap0r-thedaytheinternetdied.mp3)

DDOS KING (http://wepump.in/music/shaggsvap0r-ddosking.mp3)

This server already had one chance to fix it's problems. If it comes back up and the bullshit isn't addressed, it will happen again.

Estharik
11-22-2009, 01:54 AM
Doesn't work like that. Take a deep breath, delete all your accounts, and apply. It's the only way it would work.

(and p.s., don't delete anything until the server is back up in place and folks like Rogean and Nilbog consider the idea first.. heh)

well if not playing at all to answer petitons is the way to go, then no... I'll just be another guy complaining about how the server is down and waiting.. patiently. I'd like to help others but I can't. This server was the first thing since wow came out that I actually wanted to play, and I quit wow a long time ago. It just sucks some asshole thinks he's super cool and wants to attack this specific server. Did PEQ or any of those other servers get attacked like this? I notice lots of 0 population servers on the list. I haven't been playing eqemu since this came out...

It's just real disappointing it has to happen to THE BEST server as far as I'm concerned.

Zamboni
11-22-2009, 01:56 AM
To the Devs/People in charge:

Thanks for doing everything to put this server together and get it up and running. I have had an awesome time running around as a KoS everywhere Troll and exploring different places to find things out. Bubbles even helped me get a corpse back in Feerrott when I was an even bigger newb, loaning me a weapon to fight with and running all over to find my body. It really was a classic experience for me and I appreciate the chance to go back in time like that.

I also hope that you can find a way to get things up and running again. Even if we all have to start off with a clean slate I'm cool with that. Hopefully the individual(s) responsible for this will eventually get bored and move on to some other form of hooliganism.

Thanks again and hope to see you in game!

Zamboni

Halladar
Are you mad are ya pissed? Are you gonna point your gun at your computer screen and it will hit me? Maybe stick a knife thru the screen and get me?

get the fuck outta here. feels awesome to be powerless doesnt it?

If somehow anonymity was removed, and your name was revealed to be "Joe Blow, 123 Easy Street, San Diego, CA" would you be so quick to call someone an "internet tough guy?"

Let me get this straight. People used to spend loads of cash on ebay characters and equipment. Do things utterly stupid like camp Zordac Ragefire. Come home from work at lunch to kill placeholders in a camp.

I'm kind of surprised no one has been killed in real life over an online game. Maybe they have, and I just haven't heard about it.

God knows, people get killed over some trivial crap, this kind of thing wouldn't be a reach at all.

I guess the only thing that bugs me worse than an internet tough guy, is someone mocking that internet tough guy. Wimpiest guy in the world is the toughest if he has a gun and you don't. If someone is mad at you, and knows who and where you are you don't have much protection if he decided to come up behind you and squeeze a trigger.

So just give it a rest ok? I'm sure someone is angry and just working off steam.

But you never know.

kuuky
Hey bubbles just want to say that it was nice meeting you. I helped you out in FP and you gave me a shield and scimitar. Thank you. Hope to see you in game again.

Clawspirit
11-22-2009, 01:57 AM
Most of us have our careers now, since the 1999 era, and I'd happily divert some of my prodigious salary now to the cause of safeguarding the server I relive my past on. Keep us posted on possibilities and we'll provide the funding.

uncle
11-22-2009, 01:58 AM
Best song ever

"Its the day that them hackers went outside, its the day a lot of little kids did cry"

Bubbles
11-22-2009, 01:58 AM
well if not playing at all to answer petitons is the way to go, then no... I'll just be another guy complaining about how the server is down and waiting.. patiently. I'd like to help others but I can't. This server was the first thing since wow came out that I actually wanted to play, and I quit wow a long time ago. It just sucks some asshole thinks he's super cool and wants to attack this specific server. Did PEQ or any of those other servers get attacked like this? I notice lots of 0 population servers on the list. I haven't been playing eqemu since this came out...

It's just real disappointing it has to happen to THE BEST server as far as I'm concerned.

Agreed.

Sadly a lot of those 0 population servers are just that.. Zero population servers.

PEQ/Stormhaven/GPG/etc never skipped a beat. I'm goofing around on Storm Haven right now as a matter of fact. a 75 warrior can clear Guk in a *hurry*, for those scoring at home...

jawtoe
11-22-2009, 01:59 AM
I think that in a small game community like this one, just as Bubbles (i think) said a few posts ago, every individual is much more important. Assuming that this whole server incident was intentional, we can get more out of our situation if we interpret this
person(s) actions as a communication, and not just an attack.

Why would someone do this? I can think of many reasons, but calling him/her names and insulting him (i'm just gonna use him, doing the him/her thing is a pain in the butt) is just going to continue this cycle of aggression. We all probably have a lot more in common than most of you are willing to think, and the most enlightening way to approach this scenario is to imagine what might have caused YOU to do something like this. I imagine that whoever did this was probably hurt by something that happened on the server, and he didn't get the compassion from other players that he needed at the time to resolve the issue constructively.

I wouldn't mind being an online psychologist for the server lol. A psycho-gm or something. Without more group-oriented social behavior within such a small community it can all fall apart very quickly.

I'm not happy that the server is down, and hope to play again soon. But we can also take this event as an opportunity to look at ourselves now. How much have we all been playing lately? What else in our lives have we been avoiding? Are we playing to be powerful, or to make friends?

Clawspirit
11-22-2009, 02:01 AM
This is classic sociopath behavior, your anger and outrage at the occurrence is actually what they are after. Sure, they (for lack of a more accurate term) screwed over a bunch of innocent people...but they like that. You want to hurt them, forgive and forget, and move on with your lives. Those without a real life "audience" of people that care for them, and people they care about, find online outlets to wield pseudo "power" over. Trust me, your real life infinitely places you in an echelon light years ahead of their stunted social circle. Pity them, and go do any number of equally rewarding things, since all they have to lord over you is a video game.

So sad....

justiceleague
11-22-2009, 02:03 AM
I do strongly remember a couple of GMs on the forums bringing out the "You're in our world now, deal with it" card recently. That's a far, far more likely culprit.

Yeah, now who's world are they in?

uncle
11-22-2009, 02:04 AM
If somehow anonymity was removed, and your name was revealed to be "Joe Blow, 123 Easy Street, San Diego, CA" would you be so quick to call someone an "internet tough guy?"

Let me get this straight. People used to spend loads of cash on ebay characters and equipment. Do things utterly stupid like camp Zordac Ragefire. Come home from work at lunch to kill placeholders in a camp.

I'm kind of surprised no one has been killed in real life over an online game. Maybe they have, and I just haven't heard about it.

God knows, people get killed over some trivial crap, this kind of thing wouldn't be a reach at all.

I guess the only thing that bugs me worse than an internet tough guy, is someone mocking that internet tough guy. Wimpiest guy in the world is the toughest if he has a gun and you don't. If someone is mad at you, and knows who and where you are you don't have much protection if he decided to come up behind you and squeeze a trigger.

So just give it a rest ok? I'm sure someone is angry and just working off steam.

Also there was a story a while back about some guy in china who killed his roomate because he stole a sword from his character and sold it on ebay. The other guy killed his roomate for selling the sword.

Lucky for me I live alone in my parents basement so I dont have to worry about it since I never see the outside world.

But you never know.

Im sure the guy is working off steam, but to come on here and start threatening to kill people and keep posting about cutting off his head and shit?

Get real...I had a 50 character of my own and gear that was really good. We are fucking powerless. Whoever did this shit is alot smarter then most people on this server or board so threatening to kill him isnt gonna do shit.

Best thing to do is just fucking walk away. Sure it seems we all wasted time but oh well just get over it. This whole fucking game is a timesink

President
11-22-2009, 02:09 AM
Im sure the guy is working off steam, but to come on here and start threatening to kill people and keep posting about cutting off his head and shit?

Get real...I had a 50 character of my own and gear that was really good. We are fucking powerless. Whoever did this shit is alot smarter then most people on this server or board so threatening to kill him isnt gonna do shit.

Best thing to do is just fucking walk away. Sure it seems we all wasted time but oh well just get over it. This whole fucking game is a timesink

Guarantee the DDoS was a paid for thing. Don't give him too much "smart" cred.

kuuky
11-22-2009, 02:10 AM
This whole fucking game is a timesink

I realize this too and yet I am incredibly drawn to it.

Pimp1
11-22-2009, 02:10 AM
Whoever did this shit is alot smarter then most people on this server or board so threatening to kill him isnt gonna do shit.

Good coverup, you and your corny ass guild (forceful entry) did this, you honestly were the joke of the server, and we are unleashing Zhao on you

Kylien
11-22-2009, 02:11 AM
Whoever did this shit is alot smarter then most people on this server or board so threatening to kill him isnt gonna do shit.

Technical know-how =! smart.

Taminy
11-22-2009, 02:13 AM

ahaha

Halladar
11-22-2009, 02:13 AM
Uncle, I don't have the slightest interest in arguing with you. Actually I'm going to ignore you.

But why exactly did you feel the need to add this:

"Also there was a story a while back about some guy in china who killed his roomate because he stole a sword from his character and sold it on ebay. The other guy killed his roomate for selling the sword.

Lucky for me I live alone in my parents basement so I dont have to worry about it since I never see the outside world."

jawtoe
11-22-2009, 02:15 AM
I see that these posts are quickly degenerating (if they didn't start off as such) into the typical sludge you people chuck around in /ooc on the server. If you don't have something constructive to say, then you'll do less damage/help more by not contributing at all. If this server situation really upsets you, and you don't want it to happen again, don't go insulting whoever did it and attacking anyone who disagrees with you. Think of how the situation can be improved for the future

uncle
11-22-2009, 02:18 AM
Uncle, I don't have the slightest interest in arguing with you. Actually I'm going to ignore you.

But why exactly did you feel the need to add this:

"Also there was a story a while back about some guy in china who killed his roomate because he stole a sword from his character and sold it on ebay. The other guy killed his roomate for selling the sword.

Lucky for me I live alone in my parents basement so I dont have to worry about it since I never see the outside world."

Because everyone fucking assumes it was some dipshit in a basement with no friends. Grats on the ignore. Im going to lose sleep over it.

Dolalin
11-22-2009, 02:21 AM
Many of you people, the way you act, you aren't worth running a server for.

uncle
11-22-2009, 02:25 AM
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a74/RiddlN/troll.jpg

Thanks goobles!

briannick91
11-22-2009, 02:29 AM
everyone knows this ddos attack came because danth stole someones camp, the stories were just a precurser

wiggles
11-22-2009, 02:30 AM
So long, and thanks for all the fish. I want to thank all the friendly people i met playing in the last few weeks. Yall are what made it fun to play every night. Feel free to email me if you find some fun game to play or just want to get a beer in nashville, tn. If server really is down a long time, i probably won't be back. Or it might be somebody else driving. Soo close to that 39 rez:)

This is Wiggles the cleric - in case name doesnt show up in title (never posted here before.)
hitmeupwtf@gmail.com

later on!!

Danth
11-22-2009, 02:31 AM
Haha, funny stuff. Funnier since nothing was 'stolen'.

Server'll be back up when it's up. Till then all we can do is wait.

Danth

Ocaevia
11-22-2009, 02:31 AM
Hope you get this straightened out.

Can donate if needed.

YozenFrogurt
11-22-2009, 02:37 AM
Haha Butt hurt.. gotta love hearing terms I used in the get go..

Great fun while it lasted. =)

Solusek
11-22-2009, 02:38 AM
Rogean,

Please do your best to ignore the emotionally-driven posts you're seeing. You and your team have done a stand-up job thus far and those of us that matter, know that.

We know you'll do your best and attempt to find an alternate hosting party. As you've seen, there isn't a shortage of players willing to donate a few bucks to the cause. I'm thinking out loud now, but even if each player (average 200 players) donated $5.00 monthly, which is roughly 1/3 what we pay for all other MMO's, that would be quite the monthly payment towards an even better and more secure server.

I'll leave it at that for now, just some encouraging food for thought.

Signed,

- A True EQ Classic Fan.

Joebrew
11-22-2009, 02:39 AM
Oh, well life goes on...Peace everyone and thanks for the groups etc...

Peace from Saturn, Rick, and Spike...and its times like this when I wish I can pull a real life "Jay and Silent Bob" moment and find the dude and smack him around a bit...damn until then its off to PvP blue-BEEZ.

Barkingturtle
11-22-2009, 02:56 AM
It will truly be a pity if this server never has a chance to mature further, but regardless of what transpires going forward I want to express my gratitude to those who made p1999 a reality, if even only briefly. I just found this place last weekend, and while I'll be bummed if it doesn't come back up, I had a really good time doing naked corpse runs at level two. Thanks also for affirming what I'd believed since I first played EQ back in 2000; that I didn't just dig the game because it popped my MMO cherry, but because EQ back then just had character unlike any of its successors.

Moreso than missing the chance to replay that game, though, I'll regret that I didn't get to game with more of the folks populating this server, because for the most part the community here struck me as singularly united in celebrating nostalgia and sentimentality, something utterly devoid in more modern MMO's, and a set of traits which lend themselves to a much more memorable gaming experience.

Really a shame that some folks are apparently incapable of gaining anything resembling a healthy perspective and feel compelled to sabotage the enjoyment of others to sate their own gnawing dissatisfaction, but not necessarily surprising.

Anyway, best of luck getting this thing up and running again. I'll be keeping an eager eye on your progress, and thanks again for giving me a week at least to remember what got me into this genre in the first place.

Cribanox
11-22-2009, 02:56 AM
Wow what a sucky saturday night....

Caelor
11-22-2009, 03:02 AM
GRAND FINALE:

The day The Internet Died (http://wepump.in/music/vap0r-thedaytheinternetdied.mp3)

DDOS KING (http://wepump.in/music/shaggsvap0r-ddosking.mp3)

This server already had one chance to fix it's problems. If it comes back up and the bullshit isn't addressed, it will happen again.

Is this a claim of responsibility?

Skeletonya
11-22-2009, 03:04 AM
Is this a claim of responsibility?

Good question.

I wonder what bullshit they were talking about? Specifics would be nice, instead of idiotic presumed assumption.

I suppose we should all just lern2psychic.

messiah_b
11-22-2009, 03:05 AM
Wow what a sucky saturday night....

Next week is gonna be worse. Not sure what I will do with all these Hungry Mans and tube socks next weekend.

killerkomb
11-22-2009, 03:08 AM
Im not saying I took part in it but I think I may have an idea of who did it, I was directed to this server from a post in the Random (aka /b/) section of 4chan, I do not want to risk discussing it on this forum but do some research on 4chan and you will understand why these people are likely suspects for this attack.

Hope this helped, and I am too bummed to see the server down.

I was directed last night, so if the server was being attacked last night, thats probably why, but this is just a canditate.

Aeolwind
11-22-2009, 03:12 AM
lol, I consider this more of a success than having 500 people on the server. Que sera, time to move the server to another host, will give us some time to dekink some other things like guards and such as well as a few other odd bits.

Lance
11-22-2009, 03:16 AM
Think of a good surname for Lance too while you're at it..

Lance.. something..

Cribanox
11-22-2009, 03:17 AM
So all the characters are gone?

Rallyd
11-22-2009, 03:19 AM
I don't need a mod devoting time to answer this but if any of the other guys got a clue.

How much time does it take to find a new host, transfer the server, get it going, on business days only i assume, stuff like that. Maybe a ballpark ETA.

Aeolwind
11-22-2009, 03:23 AM
Depends, prob be down a bit to work out a few other bugs that we've found along the way, like guards. But at this point I can't even hazard a guess, I'm not sure how Nil and the others want to proceed yet. I just got back from watching UFC.

Rallyd
11-22-2009, 03:27 AM
Who won, did koscheck win? I hope Ortiz got his ass beat.

Aeolwind
11-22-2009, 03:32 AM
Who won, did koscheck win? I hope Ortiz got his ass beat.

Koscheck won, RNC in the 2nd. Tito didn't get beat, but he did lose. The prelims were the best fights of the night. My boy Satiropolous won though! In overwhelming fashion. Amir beat Baroni. Rogerio KO'd the fuck out of Cain which I loved. Rua will beat Machida at their next meeting in March I think it is and then Rashad will beat Rua, then Rogerio might get a title shot if he wins his next fight, which should be against Randy.

Rallyd
11-22-2009, 03:37 AM
Wow sounds like it was epicly good, and turned out how i suspected, thanks for info.

Zithax
11-22-2009, 03:41 AM
When I offerred to give up my ability to play to be a petition-clearing monkey GM, I was hoping a couple more would step forward and we'd have enough to make some players cut ties and GM and allow the Devs/GMs (who have about a year plus more time/effort put into this than*any* of us) to simply play and have fun. Well, outside of the obvious coding/pathing stuff only the devs are going to handle. I love this place enough to give up playing on it entirely in order for the server to survive and the drama to dwindle (like it'd ever go away completely lol).

I quit playing the server altogether, and offered my freetime to be a gm as well.

seftstoply
11-22-2009, 05:00 AM

he'll do it, he's a darkelf

seftstoply
11-22-2009, 05:05 AM
Im not saying I took part in it but I think I may have an idea of who did it, I was directed to this server from a post in the Random (aka /b/) section of 4chan, I do not want to risk discussing it on this forum but do some research on 4chan and you will understand why these people are likely suspects for this attack.

I was directed last night, so if the server was being attacked last night, thats probably why, but this is just a canditate.

that thread was full of love :(

messiah_b
11-22-2009, 05:09 AM
Koscheck won, RNC in the 2nd.

I have been a big fan of Koscheck since UF. He seems like a great guy although with all the dirtbags in the UFC you probably don't have to actually be a good guy to come off as one.

Rallyd
11-22-2009, 05:14 AM
Koscheck is one of my favorites, he's doesn't have a ton of skill, but he has heart, and never gives up, I love to watch him fight every time.

Rhongomyniad
11-22-2009, 06:24 AM
I swear I was closing in on figuring out that damn fanagling pyzjn script...

Jadian
11-22-2009, 07:25 AM
Koscheck won, RNC in the 2nd. Tito didn't get beat, but he did lose. The prelims were the best fights of the night. My boy Satiropolous won though! In overwhelming fashion. Amir beat Baroni. Rogerio KO'd the fuck out of Cain which I loved. Rua will beat Machida at their next meeting in March I think it is and then Rashad will beat Rua, then Rogerio might get a title shot if he wins his next fight, which should be against Randy.

Rogerio looked great for his first UFC fight, I'm really happy about that as well. Rua should beat Machida (again) but I don't know why you think Rashad could beat Rua, or even get to him (through Thiago Silva and another top contender). Randy fighting Marc Coleman next should be... funny. I think they're trying to give Randy an easy yet somewhat justifiable path to the title shot at 205 against Machida.

Anyway... yeah hope the server comes back up soon.

Zithax
11-22-2009, 05:13 PM

Yeah I'm sure 4chan took part in this.

yeah.

Aeolwind
11-22-2009, 06:22 PM
Rogerio looked great for his first UFC fight, I'm really happy about that as well. Rua should beat Machida (again) but I don't know why you think Rashad could beat Rua, or even get to him (through Thiago Silva and another top contender). Randy fighting Marc Coleman next should be... funny. I think they're trying to give Randy an easy yet somewhat justifiable path to the title shot at 205 against Machida.

Anyway... yeah hope the server comes back up soon.

Mainly cause I can't stand Rua. There was no one I liked in the LHW div till Rogerio showed up. Wanderlei went down a class. Maybe Franklin if he finishes the climb. I mean, Forrest is a joke, Rua couldn't finish Mark Coleman, Rampage is MIA, Randy is old, Thiago choked his last fight, Rashad has a glass jaw, LHW is pretty much wide open atm. So, my lhw fighters are down to Brandon (who got screwed), Randy and Rogerio.

Recyclebin
11-22-2009, 07:02 PM
The server was advertised on /b/ and /v/ of 4chan respectively last night.

Were they behind the DDoS attack? It was not mentioned in either thread that I saw nor was there any indication to do so.

It IS entirely possible multiple IPs hit the site (ranging in the 1000's) due to how extremely popular /b/ and /v/ are. Resulting in what would APPEAR to be a DDoS attack.

I have more information if anyone is interested.

messiah_b
11-22-2009, 07:35 PM
Yeah I'm sure 4chan took part in this.

yeah.

Either this thread is full of masterful trolls or mind blowing plebs.

I am trending to the later but remain cautious.

Takshaka
11-22-2009, 08:09 PM
I have more information if anyone is interested.

I know I am. It would actually be pretty funny if this was the result of a bunch of 4chan people suddenly bombarding the site.

Surprisingly I have never visited 4chan before, and I am quite glad that I never did. I made the mistake of trying to find the thread you were speaking of... Looks like they only keep stuff from the current day available.

Pyrocat
11-22-2009, 08:13 PM
I seriously, seriously doubt 4chan is behind this.

Not that I don't think that they could DDoS a server, but that they probably wouldn't unless they were lied to about Project 1999. After all, they're a bunch of nerds like us and don't really have anything to object to about P1999.

Recyclebin
11-22-2009, 08:15 PM
I know I am. It would actually be pretty funny if this was the result of a bunch of 4chan people suddenly bombarding the site.

Surprisingly I have never visited 4chan before, and I am quite glad that I never did. I made the mistake of trying to find the thread you were speaking of... Looks like they only keep stuff from the current day available.

I am half positive it may have been a result of people simply opening the website or hitting the links posted on /b/ and /v/ yesterday.

Reasoning? I've seen small community projects like this buckle under the weight of /b/ and /v/'s presence alone.

Recyclebin
11-22-2009, 08:16 PM
I seriously, seriously doubt 4chan is behind this.

Not that I don't think that they could DDoS a server, but that they probably wouldn't unless they were lied to about Project 1999. After all, they're a bunch of nerds like us and don't really have anything to object to about P1999.

I half agree with you Pyro -- I seriously doubt a DDoS, however the sheer weight of 4chan /b/ and /v/ combined can bring many small scale servers like this to its knees simply by attempting to all play at once.

Keystone
11-22-2009, 08:28 PM
Lets turn that bitch back on and find out then?!

Takshaka
11-22-2009, 08:30 PM
I seriously doubt a DDoS, however the sheer weight of 4chan /b/ and /v/ combined can bring many small scale servers like this to its knees simply by attempting to all play at once.

That would actually explain why the emu forum was having a hell of a time keeping up as well as the login server. I am assuming that nilbog runs these on different servers from p1999.

The only way to verify this is to check the logs to see if there was a sudden influx of account creations. I would be much happier if this were the case instead of a second ddos.

Recyclebin
11-22-2009, 08:32 PM
I have a amazing word of mouth ability -- hopefully it wasn't a DDoS maybe I over advertised.

My bad.

messiah_b
11-22-2009, 09:15 PM
Christ it wasn't 4c. Trust me you would notice the 500 new threads spamming pictures of flipper baby dick girls. Plus what pyro said linking there is much more likely to draw a few new players that to raise pulses.

Dreadder
11-22-2009, 11:01 PM
I half agree with you Pyro -- I seriously doubt a DDoS, however the sheer weight of 4chan /b/ and /v/ combined can bring many small scale servers like this to its knees simply by attempting to all play at once.

This is true. I played a small game called Wurm Online that /b/ or /v/ or both.. "invaded". The sheer number of them crushed the server and made the game so unplayable for several days until the creator was able to get a better host to handle the load. As someone else pointed out though if this was the case I'm sure there would be a lot of spam threads from them.

Bubbles
11-23-2009, 12:43 AM
Yeah, lets not forget the bottleneck of getting the eqemu account set up, getting Titanium in your hands and then up and running, and then finally logging into the server...

This wasn't 4chan. :)

Rallyd
11-23-2009, 01:40 AM
I agree the odds of it being 4chan are limited, however, we did experience moderate lag quite a few times before the actual outage, either they were individual attacks, or maybe that was them creating accounts.

Either way who cares who did it, let's focus on the bright future of this absolutely incredible server.

Deanob
11-23-2009, 01:49 AM
Ive seen many sites, chat rooms, servers etc. get over whelmed by 4chan before.... I don't doubt /b/s power...