PDA

View Full Version : Pledge for new beginning

Root
11-22-2009, 01:12 AM
If Rogean and his team has it in them to start it up again with added security and a new host- I pledge $75.

Dijalin
11-22-2009, 01:14 AM
Shit, I'll throw 50 bucks at the server.

Zarniwooop
11-22-2009, 01:16 AM
Whatever it takes.

That's the most gaming fun I've had in many, many years.

Lance
11-22-2009, 01:19 AM
Dudes would just hit the new server hard again like it was np.

Root
11-22-2009, 01:19 AM
My friends and I been waiting for a classic EQ server of this quality since 2002. It would be a shame to allow 1 individual to stop us. And we all know money fixes everything. I bet we throw around 500 bucks at the issue and we never see it again.

Zarniwooop
11-22-2009, 01:21 AM
There's a solution. There always is.

Orichalcum
11-22-2009, 01:21 AM
Yeah, I am pretty ignorant about the problem but it is generally my experience that money can fix most problems in some way. Maybe we just need to raise enough money to buy this guy health insurance so he can get his adult acne taken care of, and he'll stop taking it out on us?

Dolalin
11-22-2009, 01:22 AM
I know you can get front-facing, DDoS-hardened proxies that forward the traffic on to your server, never exposing its real IP to the public.

Jinkeybhoy
11-22-2009, 01:23 AM
I agree completely. We need to do whatever's necessary to make sure this guy doesn't win and the community lives on.

The devs and everyone else who put in days and weeks to this server deserve it.

Pheer
11-22-2009, 01:23 AM
the fact that those nerds are raging hard enough to do this makes me lol irl

Sloth
11-22-2009, 01:24 AM
haha yea what a pathetic dork lol

Lance
I'm sure this is making them lol irl too man.

Dijalin
Doesn't this fall under cyber terrorism and if committed in the US, considered a federal felony?

Halladar
11-22-2009, 01:26 AM
Would only allowing ip numbers registered at the forum to connect at all help?

By that I mean you supply an ip number when you create an account.

It may not work at all, since validation is through the eqemu login server.

I don't know what all is involved in a ddos attack, but if something like ip registration doesn't help, does that mean virtually any site could be dropped by a hoster if someone is mad enough at them?

Zarniwooop
Doesn't help us in any way.

The devs/project manager need to decide if/how/where/when.

They probably have a lot of questions to ask first.

Falisaty
Denial-of-service attacks are considered violations of the IAB's Internet proper use policy, and also violate the acceptable use policies of virtually all Internet Service Providers. They also commonly constitute violations of the laws of individual nations.

Rogean
11-22-2009, 01:27 AM
Doesn't this fall under cyber terrorism and if committed in the US, considered a federal felony?

Good luck finding out who did it and fronting the lawyer bills.

messiah_b
11-22-2009, 01:29 AM

Yes someone call DHS. I'm sure they will put Steven Segal on the case.

Deanob
11-22-2009, 01:29 AM
I know you can get front-facing, DDoS-hardened proxies that forward the traffic on to your server, never exposing its real IP to the public.

Something worth looking into.

There is always a solution to a problem. No matter what.

Dijalin
11-22-2009, 01:30 AM
A crime is a crime, you don't need a lawyer, they need a lawyer, you would only need a lawyer if you wanted money out of it.

And knowing these assholes would face federal prison time for being idiots would be good enough for me.

Root
11-22-2009, 01:31 AM
We have to have an experienced IT guy here- Why isn't he posting? And when he does you need to tell us pricing, equipment and hosts. We know you exist. Like the Alamo, we need our 21st Century Davy Crockett, our Martin Luther King Jr. of the internet traffic world. As the French built the *edit* Statue of Liberty as a gift to the Americans for the friendship and loyalty throughout the Revolution, we shall build you a website and talk in IRC with your internet alias in our hearts.

Tovok
11-22-2009, 01:32 AM
I don't know what all is involved in a ddos attack, but if something like ip registration doesn't help, does that mean virtually any site could be dropped by a hoster if someone is mad enough at them?

That's pretty much the case, yes. You can mitigate by making sure that the malicious requests are as cheap as possible (for example, have the firewall drop an auth request before it gets to an app server), but at some point you have to look at each packet and make a decision.

There are probably hardened edge proxies out there that are good at mitigating the attack. They might cost $10k+ each and up, though, for all I know. I'm not much of a network guy. More of a dev.

Dijalin
11-22-2009, 01:33 AM
if by Eiffel Tower, you mean Statue of Liberty then yes, I agree with you :P

Root
11-22-2009, 01:35 AM
Who needs to know history correctly anyways?

Halladar
11-22-2009, 01:37 AM
I think that what is being said is that it is very difficult to 1) find out who did this, and 2) prove it.

Also you have the problem of it possibly involving different law enforcement jurisdictions in the US, and probably other countries as well.

If something like this involved a lot of man hours to contact various isp's and whatnot, and required filing documents with a court (which it would), we are talking probably tens of thousands of dollars just to start (expenditures by a federal office, my guess). Basically I don't think they would touch somthing like this.

I had my identity stolen and some charges incurred in my name. Absolutely no one was interested in the case (county, fbi, state law enforcement). The big thing was the charges were run up in another city in another state. It's not real clear who has the jurisdiction and who wants to spend the money to investigate something like this.

Basically I don't think you can expect anything from law enforcement.

Tovok
11-22-2009, 01:39 AM
Here's some info:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk59/technologies_white_paper09186a0080174a5b.shtml

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/vpndevc/ps5879/ps6264/ps5888/prod_white_paper0900aecd8011e927_ns615_Networking_ Solutions_White_Paper.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denial-of-service_attack

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/94014/How_to_defend_against_DDoS_attacks

Generally, defending against a DDoS would be something the ISP does at least some of the heavy lifting for, I would think.

Root
11-22-2009, 01:40 AM
You cant. This is at the federal level and feds.. arean't going to get into it. Not to mention to find the root of a DDoS... is practically impossible. However here are some things Ive found out from reading.

"These type of DOS attacks won't be resolved until IPV6 is implemented. In the mean time every network in the world to needs to block traffic from leaving their network with a source IP address that is not on their network. This can prevent their network from being used as the base of attack. If all networks did this, then a DOS attack could never be initiated.

In the mean time, it is recommended that you use something like an Attack Mitigator from Top Layer. It will help you to weather an attack much better than syn cookies. And before anyone says it, dropping packets that include source routing information also doesn't help."

axius
11-22-2009, 01:48 AM
damn you're pretty good at google

messiah_b
11-22-2009, 01:52 AM
And knowing these assholes would face federal prison time for being idiots would be good enough for me.

http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/1986/eaglecopy.jpg

Orichalcum
11-22-2009, 01:58 AM
ahaha, hilarious messiah

douglas1999
11-22-2009, 02:22 AM
What the fuck is a DOS attack anyway? Can somebody explain roughly what it is and why I've literally never heard of it outside of this emulated everquest server? It's annoying having no idea what it is and just hearing "welp, DOSed again!".

President
11-22-2009, 02:25 AM
massively pinging a server/ip to overload it.

Halladar
11-22-2009, 02:28 AM
Tovok put some links to it on the previous page. As I understand it, you basically put demands on the servers resources through various means (discussed in the wiki entry most briefly).

The resource in this case was bandwidth. The hoster dropped this server because the fact that someone had it in for the server affected their normal operations. The hoster is apparently not equipped to handle something like this, and a hoster that could is much more expensive.

Basically that is what I have gathered. In addition it is very difficult to determine who launched the attack. I also think it would be very difficult to get this prosecuted depending on who and where the attack came from.

That is what I have gathered.

Rallyd
11-22-2009, 02:31 AM
Lance check your PM's on forums! sorry for invading thread guys :p

yaaaflow
11-22-2009, 02:33 AM
What the fuck is a DOS attack anyway? Can somebody explain roughly what it is and why I've literally never heard of it outside of this emulated everquest server? It's annoying having no idea what it is and just hearing "welp, DOSed again!".

DDOS stands for 'distributed denial of service'. So a DOS attack would be someone sending tremendous amounts of data through to the site they're attacking in order to make it not function properly. a DDOS is the same thing done from many different computers at many different locations, which is a ton harder to prevent.

Seuriu
11-22-2009, 02:35 AM
fuck that makes me so mad

douglas1999
11-22-2009, 02:42 AM
DDOS stands for 'distributed denial of service'. So a DOS attack would be someone sending tremendous amounts of data through to the site they're attacking in order to make it not function properly. a DDOS is the same thing done from many different computers at many different locations, which is a ton harder to prevent.

Hahah wow, so people actually got angry enough over emulated everquest to coordinate a widespread "attack" in order to bork the server? What a bunch of virgins.

Aeolwind
11-22-2009, 03:19 AM
If Nilbog is game, I'd def be down for rolling again.

Soapninja
11-22-2009, 03:25 AM
so are our characters gone?

Aeolwind
11-22-2009, 03:26 AM
Not going to comment at this juncture till I've had time to confer with the others.

Vonyor
11-22-2009, 04:02 AM
No, they already said in IRC our characters arent gone. So its their choice to reinstate them on next server.

So um ya, ive been super mellow about all the guild drama and everything. But if you don't save our characters I would totally ragequit. And not like the other people who ragequit and just played alts for a couple days.

Vonyor
11-22-2009, 04:10 AM
Ok i lied, im too addicted to quit

:-(

Cribanox
11-22-2009, 04:12 AM
You would totally start over again don't lie =)

Jero
11-22-2009, 06:35 AM
this might actually be a god send , tho we all worked really hard , so much was broke at server launch that is now fixed

i woulda been game for a server wipe in any event, even tho im playing a hybrid with an excrutiating exp penalty :P

Reiker
11-22-2009, 06:51 AM
I doubt the devs would even put any substantial consideration into deleting the progress we've all made in the past month and a half, so I'm not even going to bother going down that road. Just going to patiently wait for what our options are, what they cost, and who to send the money to.

Deemo
11-22-2009, 07:37 AM
:(

damm those virgin nerds... what to do on my EQ sunday now! finaly had time to put in some decent time.

hope u guys can fix it. As i understand server is dead but our chars are stored somewhere?

Sippin
11-22-2009, 08:26 AM
As some mentioned at the start of this thread, money can solve a lot of things and sometimes not even that much money. I'd be happy to contribute $50 to see this project continue and I'm sure many others would contribute!

Recyclebin
11-22-2009, 11:09 AM
DDoS doesn't affect the servers files - Just the over all network.

Characters should be safe, 99.99% positive, even though i'm less than 24 hours new to the server and only have a level 2 druid.

magic
11-22-2009, 11:48 AM
A crime is a crime, you don't need a lawyer, they need a lawyer, you would only need a lawyer if you wanted money out of it.

i'd be in prison for about 28937492837423894 years if the federal government gave two shits about "cyber terrorism" take a chill pill brosiff the server will be back shortly...

magic
11-22-2009, 11:53 AM
Hahah wow, so people actually got angry enough over emulated everquest to coordinate a widespread "attack" in order to bork the server? What a bunch of virgins.

hey brew check this out, ever heard of a trojan? remember back in like 98 when mobman came out with sub7? dewd you can bind shit to legit scr/exe files and the person never even knows they're infected unless you make yourself known. man so much hard work to get a widespread attack, damn virgins.

Dolalin
11-22-2009, 11:55 AM
DDoSes are done by a bajillion zombie computers, infected with malware. There's no way to tell who's controlling them. You can even rent a DDoS for fairly cheap.

So you can cut it out with the federal prosecution crap, 'cause the feds don't tackle impossible cases unless a white woman got raped or something.

What we need, at least for a couple months, is a hosting provider with some kind of ddos protection, proxy-based would be ideal. The standalone packages for proxy-ddos run around $399/mo so that's not really viable, we'd need to find a hosting provider that includes it in their plan.

Or we can just find another host and roll the dice that whoever did it is now bored. But safe to assume it's gonna keep happening until we make ourselves immune to it...I wouldn't put much faith in the goodwill of lamers.

Spud
11-22-2009, 12:35 PM
a bajillion zombie computers?

that sounds like a lot of computers, that sounds pretty expensive. How do they have the moneyz to do something so dastardly?

magic
11-22-2009, 12:38 PM
a bajillion zombie computers?

that sounds like a lot of computers, that sounds pretty expensive. How do they have the moneyz to do something so dastardly?

by spammin son, ao-hax0rizing gibsons evolved to a new level

Hasbinbad
11-22-2009, 05:00 PM
Dude, Crash, do a Burnout.

EliteJackson
11-23-2009, 02:28 PM
I kicked 20 bucks when I saw they got attacked. These guys/gals do this project without pay and somebody has to do the work to clean this crap up.

I'm happy to keep dropping in donations here and there to keep things going. This is the most fun I've had on an MMO since...well, since EQ.

Swank
11-23-2009, 02:47 PM
:(

damm those virgin nerds... what to do on my EQ sunday now!

Please tell me I'm not the only one drowning in the irony of this statement :)

And don't worry, the tools who did this will move on to their next server soon enough, whine bitch and moan till they ragequit, then start the process all over again. This type of drama has happened on nearly every classic server I've played on. I really don't think more expensive security is required.

Jereziah
11-23-2009, 08:49 PM
Regardless, we all need to recognize the incredible work put into this and ensure they don't run out of funds. As we speak I'm donating a few more dollars to the cause.