PDA

View Full Version : Combo with Shamen for duo

Caziel
05-21-2013, 05:06 AM
Hi all,

Me and Gf considering comming to the server - but in doubt about what we should play.

Please consider that we will be totally untwinked and with 0pp, so its really from scratch.

I am considering playing SHM but in doubt what would go best with it (she dosent care what she plays - just want to play)

SHM / MAGE
SHM / ENC
SHM / ???

Any suggestions would be appriciated - with pro/con looking from a untwinked angel.

Caz

Tecmos Deception
05-21-2013, 08:11 AM
You can make a lot of classes work with a sham. Necro, mage, ench, dru, monk would probably be the easiest to make it work untwinked. Necro, mage, ench are especially potent partners for a shaman, with great synergies and/or pets doing all the heavy lifting. But really, short of pairing with like a cleric or a wizard or another shaman, pretty much anything would work with a sham, even untwinked.

Shaman+necro - the shaman's regen and heals are amazing synergies with the necro, since they are constantly eating up hp to turn into mana. Slow and the rest of the shaman buffs give the necro pet a MUCH better ability to tank stuff than it would have just with necro hp transfers. The necro can pull, both classes have CC, the shaman has a resist debuff that makes everything easier with hard targets (and, biggest thing imo, lets the necro charm higher-level undead instead of using a summoned pet). No negatives to this duo really.

Shaman+mage - not as powerful a duo as sham+necro or sham+ench because the mage just doesn't bring a hell of a lot to the table. Mages pets can definitely tank provide great dps between pet + nukes + damage shield... but that's basically all a mage can do... pet + nukes + DS. But it is still a very nice duo to do untwinked, since pets and spells work as well naked as they do if you're a super twink, and at very high levels mages DO get a trick or two that are pretty nice.

Shaman+ench - if you don't mind dealing with a charmed pet basically 100% of the time, this combo is unmatched. The only con for this duo is you NEED to be charming in order for it to shine (or work well at all, really). Charmed pets are easy to hold onto with a shaman's slightly superior charisma buff + extra MR debuff though. The combo is less powerful 1-30 than at 50+, imo, and the enchanter is a bit more reliant on gear for charming than a necro/mage is... but charisma gear is VERY cheap and even without it, the duo is still incredibly awesome.

Shaman+monk/war/sk/rang/pal - also viable duos, it's just that melee are defined by their gear, so when you're starting untwinked they are simply not as effective as casters are. On the plus side, once you ARE getting some gear, they are very powerful with a shaman (and generally without requiring the same level of finesse you'd need with a caster). For all of these duos, the shaman brings melee buffs, slow, haste, heals, and CC via root to the party. Monks bring good tanking, great dps, and great pulling. Warriors bring great tanking, good dps, but no utility. SKs bring great tanking, and some nice utilities, but limited damage. Ranger brings good dps and a bunch of utility, but limited tankiness. Pal is just like SK except maybe with lower damage.

falkun
05-21-2013, 08:18 AM
SHM/ENC is one of the most powerful combos in the game simply because both classes are powerhouses alone. The shaman can tank better than the ENC and has heals, while the ENC is CC and charm king.

Aaron
05-21-2013, 11:36 AM
As a shaman that prefers to spend my time in duos/trios, my number one pick for a partner is enchanter. Second pick is probably a 3-way tie between mage/necro/monk, depending on the situation.

That being said, my favorite duo was on live, with me playing shaman and friend playing mage with epic pet.

And the best trio i can remember was shm/ench/rogue, with shaman tanking and rogue dps.

Edit: meh, Tecmos covered everything better than I could have. I agree with everything in his post.

Something'Witty
05-21-2013, 01:00 PM
As someone that plays with their significant other, I highly recommend you let her choose any class that she wants to play independent of what you want to play. The few times I have tried to sway my wife to choose a particular class, it has ended up with her quitting because she didn't like said class (e.g., mage, necro, bst, and SK).

On 99red I just described the role of each class in a group setting, then when she made her choice, I selected a class that complimented her choice. This time around she choose to play a shm (despite the fact that I already had a lvl 30 shm on the server) and a druid, so I decided to try out a monk and a chanter. It has worked out better then I anticipated, with her wanting to play a lot more then I expected.

Anyhow TLDR: I recommend letting her choose.

Splorf22
05-21-2013, 04:41 PM
A shaman is fantastically flexible and can duo with any class very well. I would say the only things that wouldn't work are cleric, wizard, and maybe to some extent Druid.

SamwiseRed
05-21-2013, 08:49 PM
shaman / paladin, DUH

Caziel
05-22-2013, 03:19 AM
Yo guys

Thansk for all the fast answers - we still cant play since we are waiting for approval of playing on same IP from the moderators. No clue how long that takes =(

The combo which has been picked is SHM/NEC so we will see how that goes.

Only annoying thing is we cant start in the same area - but I prolly run to Neriak and get a bind and screw lvl 5 spells and go back when i am lvl 9.

Trull Shamen (they look bloody cool)
DE Necro (also damn cool looking)

Now we just wait for moderators to approv us to play from 1 IP

Caz

Aaron
05-22-2013, 08:21 AM
Shoot me a tell if you see me online. I can provide ports to get you guys together and give you a little spending cash to get you started.

Caziel
05-22-2013, 09:30 AM
Thanks Aaron sure will =))

Any clue on how long the IP approval takes?

Something'Witty
05-22-2013, 04:09 PM
If you go troll shm, worship Innoruuk and the DE's will like you a lot more. Plus you can do the snare necklace quest, which is handy if you do end up soloing in dungeons when the GF isn't on.

P.S. My wifes IP exception took a little over a week, enough time for me to hit lvl 20 on my shm before she decided that she wanted to a play a shm too...

Emphase
05-23-2013, 06:49 PM
you could do iksar necro, iksar sham and both start together

lecompte
05-24-2013, 04:21 PM
Thanks Aaron sure will =))

Any clue on how long the IP approval takes?

I've gone through the process a bit and coached friends on how to go about it. It took me 2 weeks the first time, 1 week for a family member, and 2 days this last time around. I imagine they tend be somewhat shortstaffed Mon-Thur cause they got RL stuff to do -- Hopefully you'll hear back tonight.

Need anything in game, send me a tell!

Caziel
05-25-2013, 04:05 AM
Cool thanks man,

We changed the setup she didnt like the Necro much - and wanted an ENC instead.

So we are now Trull SHM and DE ENC !!

Goind to be fun

They did approv us =)

Clark
05-25-2013, 04:10 AM
You can make a lot of classes work with a sham. Necro, mage, ench, dru, monk would probably be the easiest to make it work untwinked. Necro, mage, ench are especially potent partners for a shaman, with great synergies and/or pets doing all the heavy lifting. But really, short of pairing with like a cleric or a wizard or another shaman, pretty much anything would work with a sham, even untwinked.

Shaman+necro - the shaman's regen and heals are amazing synergies with the necro, since they are constantly eating up hp to turn into mana. Slow and the rest of the shaman buffs give the necro pet a MUCH better ability to tank stuff than it would have just with necro hp transfers. The necro can pull, both classes have CC, the shaman has a resist debuff that makes everything easier with hard targets (and, biggest thing imo, lets the necro charm higher-level undead instead of using a summoned pet). No negatives to this duo really.

Shaman+mage - not as powerful a duo as sham+necro or sham+ench because the mage just doesn't bring a hell of a lot to the table. Mages pets can definitely tank provide great dps between pet + nukes + damage shield... but that's basically all a mage can do... pet + nukes + DS. But it is still a very nice duo to do untwinked, since pets and spells work as well naked as they do if you're a super twink, and at very high levels mages DO get a trick or two that are pretty nice.

Shaman+ench - if you don't mind dealing with a charmed pet basically 100% of the time, this combo is unmatched. The only con for this duo is you NEED to be charming in order for it to shine (or work well at all, really). Charmed pets are easy to hold onto with a shaman's slightly superior charisma buff + extra MR debuff though. The combo is less powerful 1-30 than at 50+, imo, and the enchanter is a bit more reliant on gear for charming than a necro/mage is... but charisma gear is VERY cheap and even without it, the duo is still incredibly awesome.

Shaman+monk/war/sk/rang/pal - also viable duos, it's just that melee are defined by their gear, so when you're starting untwinked they are simply not as effective as casters are. On the plus side, once you ARE getting some gear, they are very powerful with a shaman (and generally without requiring the same level of finesse you'd need with a caster). For all of these duos, the shaman brings melee buffs, slow, haste, heals, and CC via root to the party. Monks bring good tanking, great dps, and great pulling. Warriors bring great tanking, good dps, but no utility. SKs bring great tanking, and some nice utilities, but limited damage. Ranger brings good dps and a bunch of utility, but limited tankiness. Pal is just like SK except maybe with lower damage.

+1

Clark
05-25-2013, 04:11 AM
Cool thanks man,

We changed the setup she didnt like the Necro much - and wanted an ENC instead.

So we are now Trull SHM and DE ENC !!

Goind to be fun

They did approv us =)

welcome and great choices :D