PDA

View Full Version : Class Question

Vaildez
05-21-2013, 10:55 AM
So I am brand new here and have zero money to be twinking a character.. With that in mind I would like to play a melee class that has some capability of soloing when I can't find a group at least up until 30-40s.. I'd prefer to be a warrior but with no money is that going to make things rough?

Stinkum
05-21-2013, 11:00 AM
For a non-twink, then SK is probably the best melee class at soloing.. or possibly a Monk and Intimidation/Bind Wound/Mend. It's not going to be pretty though.. It'll be slow and frustrating.

Don't even think about making a Warrior if you like soloing.

diplo
05-21-2013, 11:00 AM
you can do work with SK...gonna take long to level though, but fear/kite is effective if you're tight on money.

Vaildez
05-21-2013, 11:06 AM
When does soloing really become a problem for a War? My original EQ char was a warrior but that was a long time ago =)

Atmas
05-21-2013, 11:07 AM
Some people might be able to help you out with handouts but gearing a warrior to solo takes a good amount of coin. As others have suggested, SK or Monk are probably more viable.

Are you really adamant about not grouping? Or just worried you will have issues finding groups do to scarcity/playtime/gear or whatever?

Vaildez
05-21-2013, 11:09 AM
Some people might be able to help you out with handouts but gearing a warrior to solo takes a good amount of coin. As others have suggested, SK or Monk are probably more viable.

Are you really adamant about not grouping? Or just worried you will have issues finding groups do to scarcity/playtime/gear or whatever?

I am definitely not against grouping at all but worried for all reasons you stated.

Stinkum
05-21-2013, 11:27 AM
When does soloing really become a problem for a War?

Soloing is a problem as a Warrior from the beginning.. Everything about a Warrior is the exact opposite of a soloing class. Your Warrior won't even be able to kill a light-blue mob from full HP without dying past level 10-20.

Khaleesi
05-21-2013, 11:36 AM
I would suggest Monk. Mend, Bind Wound, Feign Death, Sneak and Intimidation are very effective tools.

If you want to play a Warrior alone, just remember that on original servers (and to some extent here) we had quite a bit of downtime in terms of regaining health and moving onto the next fight.

Back in the day Unrest for example was busy, which was a double edged sword.
On the one hand you had to fight for share of mobs, but on the other, there'd always be a druid somewhere nearby willing to buff and spot heal you.

Here you won't always find that. Grouping will help alleviate some of this.

Also, don't be ashamed to ask for help whether it's buffs, money, equipment or information. If you could get 50pp from twenty people, that's something. And things like Wu's armor or Bronze is filling up people's trash mules. There's no reason they can't hand it down.

Cippofra
05-21-2013, 01:04 PM
Monk is undoubtedly the most viable solo melee class. You can solo to 60 relatively easily. You can also get some pretty good equipment for them for cheap. The other classes can solo, but without twinking none of them are going to have it as easy as a monk. At 48 I was still soloing dark blues in lguk with less than 20k worth of equipment.

myriverse
05-21-2013, 01:19 PM
Soloing is a problem as a Warrior from the beginning.. Everything about a Warrior is the exact opposite of a soloing class. Your Warrior won't even be able to kill a light-blue mob from full HP without dying past level 10-20.
Soloing is a cinch against dark blues (and the occasional even con) with Warriors (even weak DE warriors) until 20-ish. Make something like a Troll or Ogre and it could probably be sleepwalked through. It may take a bit longer, but it isn't difficult. And it's extremely easy to get a full suit of bronze by 10/12-ish simply by hunting for furs and selling stuff.

skeletoria
05-21-2013, 01:42 PM
Warrior! Pleaseeee You won't have a problem finding a group, we are lacking tanks on this server.

Atmas
05-21-2013, 02:08 PM
I am definitely not against grouping at all but worried for all reasons you stated.

I would play the class you feel like playing so the game is enjoyable for you. I also wouldn't worry about difficulty in grouping. A pretty active population with lots of groups who need tanks and understand that not everyone is twinked through the roof.

Splorf22
05-21-2013, 02:13 PM
Warriors solo just fine . . . if you get them a fungi tunic, cloak of flames, truncheon of doom, bloodfire, blood points, bag of root nets, etc etc.

If I were you I'd go SK. Hybrids are much less dependent on gear because at least you can always hold aggro with spells, and all of the blood ember pieces are pretty cheap (except for the BP/greaves). You can also solo OK with fear/darkness and should you make it to 50+ you'll have a fun pull role.

Korisek
05-21-2013, 03:36 PM
If you want to be able to solo for some time as a Warrior, you can roll up an Iksar warrior. It's not that the Iksar bonuses are that amazing themselves, it's that you are capable of getting the dosh needed to gear up your armor and weapons enough to stand a fighting chance between 10-20 off of the Field of Bone spiders' silk. My warrior at 17 was soloing light and dark blues with some hefty down time in between just because I'd gotten the money necessary to make myself a set of banded.

webrunner5
05-21-2013, 09:31 PM
Lets not sugarcoat it people. A Warrior in reality can't solo plain and simple. Even a total twink. :( And they cost a TON to equip. Try another class to start with. :D

enr4ged
05-22-2013, 03:18 AM
Is something different about warriors on P99 compared to live? I solo'd relatively easily on my warrior up into and past 30, and this was with gear like bronze armor and non-twink weapons as well... how is P99 so different?

Kagatob
05-22-2013, 03:31 AM
Is something different about warriors on P99 compared to live? I solo'd relatively easily on my warrior up into and past 30, and this was with gear like bronze armor and non-twink weapons as well... how is P99 so different?

While AC works correctly on base lvl mobs and raid mobs the way it scales is completely off on all mobs in-between. Also all casters on P99 are broken and cast every spell/come fully buffed.

rsloans84
05-22-2013, 05:53 AM
I suggest rogue or monk

Vaildez
05-22-2013, 08:42 AM
I suggest rogue or monk

Aren't rogues even worse off solo than warriors?

webrunner5
05-22-2013, 09:27 AM
Rogues are a TON cheaper to equip. No, they probably solo worse true. But they are easy to get groups for. A Warrior can not really hold taunt as it is broken on here. A SK and a Pally work out better taunt wise for Tanks. I am not saying don't play a Warrior here, just not as you first toon. You need weapons and gear, and lots of it for a Warrior. A Mage just needs a Robe to look good and spells. That's it. And the Mage will be level 40 and the Warrior will be level 25 if they both solo. And when you get higher you loot a lot better stuff to sell to buy what you need for your other toons.

This game is pretty terrible after awhile with no gear on a Melee. I am not saying you can't get groups because I have never seen someone ask to see what you have to get a group. But like has been said a thousand times on the forums play what you like. It your time and toon.

Ezrick
05-23-2013, 03:45 AM
Warrior! Pleaseeee You won't have a problem finding a group, we are lacking tanks on this server.

My thoughts exactly. I played a cleric to 20 but got bored with it because I played one on live. My enchanter is now level 18.

I have yet to see a warrior my level on either character. Not one.

I don't think you'll have too much trouble getting a group.

myriverse
05-24-2013, 09:28 AM
My main (and first character on this server) is now a level 20 DE Warrior. Because of my play schedule (0.5-1 hour here and there for 5-6 months), he's entirely solo'd from dark blue (and the rare even) cons. He's had a nearly complete set of Bronze for about 5 levels now, mostly through his own hunting of furs and selling. He received one gift from a stranger: an Axe of the Iron Back and his Bronze legs. Otherwise, he hunted enough furs to buy himself a PGT at level 10.

And I didn't even put much effort into it. I'm not a power gamer. I'm not a farmer. I'm not even very strategic-minded.

galvaunis
05-24-2013, 01:05 PM
intimidate is op here, so I think rogues are actually better soloers than warriors

skeletoria
05-24-2013, 02:05 PM
My cleric has been duoing with a rogue "tank" for the past 6 levels....he definitely keeps agro better than any tank class at our low levels.