PDA

View Full Version : Necro in group

Phobius
07-01-2010, 10:21 AM
When I am in a group, I am not sure what my role should be. I send my pet obviously and DOT on reds or yellows, but blue mobs drop so fast it doesn't seem worth it.

While I am only level 12 now, what do necros do at later levels in groups?

Cogwell
07-01-2010, 10:25 AM
Heal, especially when you get the cheap HoT, unless theres a lot of healing already. Buff AC. In the teens you get your first decent lifetap, and you can use that as your nuke. At 24 you get a decent DD.

Yoite
07-01-2010, 11:21 AM
master the flow of hp, trade yours for mana, then lifetap the mobs, then heal your party with life flow, tap the mobs for more hp, rinse and repeat.

ChairmanMauzer
07-01-2010, 12:35 PM
Is twitch in the game? If so, use when needed to help out healers' mana but don't let them relegate you to doing nothing but being a mana battery.

astarothel
07-01-2010, 12:43 PM
Twitchbitch. Learn to be one. :p

guineapig
07-01-2010, 01:35 PM
I used to always spot-heal and twitch in groups with my necro on live.

Use lifetaps as your nuke since your loosing hitpoints anyway due to your mana regen.
Position your pet well so it can do maximum damage from the back of the mob.

Lower level snare (forget the name) is great for mobs that run and a nice additional treat you can give to your group.

Crowd control. You have a short duration mez, usually plenty for single adds. Use it!

In extreme case you can be a puller to split a camp for the group. Rarely necessary with so many forms of lull, and other classes that can FD, but it's still an option.

Buffs! You have resist buffs! If your mana is good, use them on the main tank and/or puller. You would be surprised how often the tank and puller have dots and/or debuffs of some kind. This lowers group DPS and increases the mana that the main healer needs to spend.

Necros have decent versatility when you think about it. Much more so than a mage or wizard.

Skope
07-01-2010, 01:51 PM
I used to always spot-heal and twitch in groups with my necro on live.

Use lifetaps as your nuke since your loosing hitpoints anyway due to your mana regen.
Position your pet well so it can do maximum damage from the back of the mob.

Lower level snare (forget the name) is great for mobs that run and a nice additional treat you can give to your group.

Crowd control. You have a short duration mez, usually plenty for single adds. Use it!

In extreme case you can be a puller to split a camp for the group. Rarely necessary with so many forms of lull, and other classes that can FD, but it's still an option.

Buffs! You have resist buffs! If your mana is good, use them on the main tank and/or puller. You would be surprised how often the tank and puller have dots and/or debuffs of some kind. This lowers group DPS and increases the mana that the main healer needs to spend.

Necros have decent versatility when you think about it. Much more so than a mage or wizard.

Well stated. It's a class that I liken to a bard. You can either twist 3-4 songs at a time or sit back and play manasong. With a necro can simply twitch and send the pet and manatap when need be, or you can be button-mashing until your fingers hurt.

I've managed to off-heal groups on planes when the MH was afk (so long as it wasn't a tank), twitch, manatap, mez, root, even pull. It's a fantastic class when played correctly

Overcast
07-01-2010, 04:27 PM
Also - don't make a habit of it, but..

If the group gets too many mobs - pick one - snare it good, get it pissed and kite it off. *Sometimes* you can keep a mob locked down that way, but don't forget to load up dots on the MT's target too.

Soon as the tank can take the mob over - you can FD :)

I did that a few times with my Necro in the old days to get things under control - but be careful of when and how you do it.

Spend more time in groups too, a lot of Necros neglect to do that. That will really polish your skills.
But for now - the advice above won't steer you wrong ;)

And I'm assuming you know - but.. don't ever fear in dungeons.. lol

Lill-Leif
07-02-2010, 07:32 AM
I fully agree with guineapig. Necro have a bunch of utilities and good dps. If well played you will be a valuable asset to your group!

Omnimorph
07-02-2010, 06:22 PM
As i like to have an eye open for exceptional players when i'm grouping, the player i was most impressed with was a necro. He was a fantastic player (forgotten who it was now though...) and was a great utility player.

The other class that i tend to notice stand out is a well played bard.

Zigo
07-02-2010, 11:32 PM
When I grp I give mana to my healer and wizard while maximizing the amount of mana i regenerate.

Desert
07-02-2010, 11:59 PM
back when i played live i had a theory that the "harder" the class was to play, the more the person would stand out as being good.

a good druid is like being a good player on the Lakers... so what?

PhelanKA
07-03-2010, 12:00 AM
back when i played live i had a theory that the "harder" the class was to play, the more the person would stand out as being good.

a good druid is like being a good player on the Lakers... so what?

And besides that, the best make it look easy ;)

Dersk
07-03-2010, 12:17 AM
When I grp I give mana to my... wizard

Oh...

my...

god...

Zigo
07-03-2010, 01:34 AM
Oh...

my...

god...

yeah :P invite me sometime, you wont want to play with out me ever again.

Dersk
07-03-2010, 11:05 AM
yeah :P invite me sometime, you wont want to play with out me ever again.

I seriously doubt your state of mind is so contagious that I'd be infected before you're kicked.

Zigo
07-03-2010, 11:13 PM
I seriously doubt your state of mind is so contagious that I'd be infected before you're kicked.

Yeah well... your grps probley suck ass anyway!~!!!!

Humwawa
07-04-2010, 01:53 AM
Twitchbitch. Learn to be one. :p

Fight this with your unlife.

ChairmanMauzer
07-04-2010, 02:10 PM
Necros are more than mana batteries. I can see giving mana to healers for emergency situations or to reduce downtime, but necros are also a dps class. So why twitch a wiz? Just use that mana to do dps yourself.

Skope
07-04-2010, 02:22 PM
Necros are more than mana batteries. I can see giving mana to healers for emergency situations or to reduce downtime, but necros are also a dps class. So why twitch a wiz? Just use that mana to do dps yourself.

That's not always the case.

The fact is our DoTs tend to have long durations, though awesome DPS, simply won't reach their efficiency in a group. Necro DDs tend to be lackluster, and then there's situations where AoE would help, so a necro feeding a wizard could make sense.

Though, those cases are very few and far in between. Mana conversion rate for a twitch is 3:1 (300:100) so it's not very efficient, no.

Omnimorph
07-04-2010, 02:39 PM
Agreed, the mana conversion rate for twitching is amazingly inefficient. Would be better for the necro to just nuke / lifetap rather than give to a wizard.

fastboy21
07-04-2010, 03:09 PM
it really depends on the grp. there are most certainly SOME times where the best thing a necro can do with his mana is dump it on someone else.

the most often situation i encounter is when the tank or healer is weakish. Untwinked warrior with only druid healer, for example (for some reason this combo seems to happen a lot to me when i decide to grp). My mana would float constantly between 50 and 100 during the entire group just due to mana regen and the slow pull heavy mana draining heal. So my "extra" mana is just wasted if I don't decide to give it to someone else.

Usually, the most efficient person to give it to is the healer.

Another good use is twitching a pally or sk tank that is also puller. This cuts there down time considerably (they don't have to take a med break), and their smallish mana pools really notice the mana (even though it is inefficient).

Noleafclover
07-05-2010, 07:08 AM
Undead nuke is pretty sexy, esp. w/ your mana regen. Most necros go wah wah my evocation though, and it seems highly resisted (at least my cleric's does) so prolly inefficient above blues. But good mana to damage ratio and high damage, should be used more.

Yoite
07-05-2010, 11:13 AM
while that mana flow ratio is really bad, its better than letting that mana go to waste. at lvl 50 a necro will be full mana in a group most of the time, even if you nuke all the time. lvl 49 lich is like c3.