PDA

View Full Version : n00b questions

skacat
05-31-2013, 08:54 AM
hi.

been off the EQ for.. awhile. quit when luclin come out. my celeron caught on fire when that shit came out. was a 55 or 56 woodelf bard, povar.

accidentally stumbled on this thing and now i'm thinkin about gettin in.

since i can't spend 6 hours a day playing anymore i'm tryin to figure out how to make this work for myself.

thinkin PvP might be a fun change of pace. are mostly solo, untwinked, gearless bards a total waste of time on PvP? does PvP have an interesting dynamic at all? whats a decent first class to try on PvP? i recall getting owned in most of the duels I did as a bard, unless you really drag it out forever.

i usually like playing rogues and bards in RPGs, but also I did the bard thing before, thinking about doing something a little less intense. rogue seems like a no-go for doing a lot of soloing. so I'm thinking about choosing something that I can do some soloing on while i'm gettin some work done IRL. I like dark elves, considering rolling a dark elf enchanter or necro. not hot on wearing a robe though. other option would be a druid.

do yalls think there's a significant difference between druid, ench, and necro for solo leveling time?

finally, I think shadowknights are cool also, but I'm guessing that once again, without a higher level to twink some gear, it's gonna be a long haul.

would welcome some thoughts, flames, and insults.

anyway, doing the install now, see you in game.

Danth
05-31-2013, 09:08 AM
Shadow Knights are a long haul even with twink gear simply because they come with a 40% class penalty, as well as additional 15% (ogre) to 20% (troll, iksar) penalties on top of that for the stronger races.

Druids are a good first character since they offer considerable utility even at mid levels--it's a handy alt to have even if you switch characters. Enchanters and necromancers are also strong solo'ers that can operate cheaply but have somewhat less value if you don't intend them to be your long-term main.

Danth

webrunner5
05-31-2013, 09:16 AM
Bard has 40% Hybrid XP hit also. PvP is a tough way to go. The class imbalance really shows up there. Everybody is a Druid on Red. Well a lot of them lol. About 60% of everyone on Red belong to one guild. So it is pretty crazy.

Just go on there, start a toon and see if you like it. They have 150% XP going on now, no XP loss for a PvP death. So not bad if you are into Ganking lol. Welcome back.

Space
05-31-2013, 09:17 AM
Wizard is great for getting rl stuff done. But you dont ever want to afk on pvp server.

Rhambuk
05-31-2013, 09:20 AM
thinkin PvP might be a fun change of pace. are mostly solo, untwinked, gearless bards a total waste of time on PvP? does PvP have an interesting dynamic at all? whats a decent first class to try on PvP? i recall getting owned in most of the duels I did as a bard, unless you really drag it out forever.

The red server has a population of about 50 players, 100 at peak hours. Youll spend most of your time getting ganked by high lvl's or epic twinks that want easy kills on new players. If you really want pvp its there but its not a full server and its certainly not balanced.

Gadwen
05-31-2013, 09:25 AM
The PVP server has their own forums if you want more info on the "dynamic" of the server. As far as classes go, necro or druid should be a pretty safe starting point. Neither are very gear dependent and they can both solo well. Enchanters also have amazing solo ability, but they are more gear dependent. Any of the three will certainly be capable of getting you to level 60 solo if you really wanted to, I would just expect to struggle a bit more on the enchanter at lower levels.

webrunner5
05-31-2013, 09:25 AM
Wizard is great for getting rl stuff done. But you dont ever want to afk on pvp server.

Space is right about a Wizard. A Wizard was the first class to get to level 50 when the Red server started. Galahad, a Shaman was first to 50 on Blue. Yeah, afk is not a good thing. Hide works wonders on Red.

Wotsirb401
05-31-2013, 09:39 AM
hi.

been off the EQ for.. awhile. quit when luclin come out. my celeron caught on fire when that shit came out. was a 55 or 56 woodelf bard, povar.

accidentally stumbled on this thing and now i'm thinkin about gettin in.

since i can't spend 6 hours a day playing anymore i'm tryin to figure out how to make this work for myself.

i usually like playing rogues and bards in RPGs, but also I did the bard thing before, thinking about doing something a little less intense. rogue seems like a no-go for doing a lot of soloing. so I'm thinking about choosing something that I can do some soloing on while i'm gettin some work done IRL. I like dark elves, considering rolling a dark elf enchanter or necro. not hot on wearing a robe though. other option would be a druid.

do yalls think there's a significant difference between druid, ench, and necro for solo leveling time?

finally, I think shadowknights are cool also, but I'm guessing that once again, without a higher level to twink some gear, it's gonna be a long haul.

would welcome some thoughts, flames, and insults.

anyway, doing the install now, see you in game.

POVAR, what was your name?

skacat
05-31-2013, 09:44 AM
The PVP server has their own forums if you want more info on the "dynamic" of the server. As far as classes go, necro or druid should be a pretty safe starting point. Neither are very gear dependent and they can both solo well. Enchanters also have amazing solo ability, but they are more gear dependent. Any of the three will certainly be capable of getting you to level 60 solo if you really wanted to, I would just expect to struggle a bit more on the enchanter at lower levels.

thanks. I saw the other forum but since it wasn't specific to PvP and was kinda about deciding between the two i dropped it here.

advice about wiz in the thread was very helpful, hadn't thought of that, seems like a good option for doing some work on the side. i am a little more drawn to the ench class though, do you think you could quantify at all the difference in XP payout between the two?

also I'm not planning to solo 100% of the time, and would definitely be down for grouping when I get a chance, but I'm guessing I'll be popping on and offline a lot and probably won't get a lot of chance to do that.

now I'm thinking DE wiz, ench, or necro. think hide will be pretty nice for AFK, red or not. you mentioned gear dependence on ench, how major of a difference do you think that is?

thanks for the replys y'all. I'll probably be on PvE just to get up and running.

skacat
05-31-2013, 09:45 AM
POVAR, what was your name?

Skacat, was a 56 bard, was online from a little after launch until Luclin. Wasn't in any major guilds, tagged along on some raids with Rising Ascension sometimes through a buddy, mostly was unguilded, poor musician.

Wotsirb401
05-31-2013, 09:50 AM
Skacat, was a 56 bard, was online from a little after launch until Luclin. Wasn't in any major guilds, tagged along on some raids with Rising Ascension sometimes through a buddy, mostly was unguilded, poor musician.

I was Yadgerobi, 65 human warrior in RA, Blades of Law and FOrces Unknown, Seraphims Vengence

skacat
05-31-2013, 10:41 AM
After reading up, I'm pretty sure I'm gonna do Ench or Necro.

How much harder/longer (...) am I in for doing an Ench vs. a Necro in terms of soloing viability? 20%? Twice as much time? In terms of doing some stuff AFK, is one significantly more work to manage than the other?

falkun
05-31-2013, 11:00 AM
Bards, while they have a 40% exp penalty like the other hybrids, level faster than any other class in the game due to PBAOE kiting. They are also an incredibly gear-independent class, more-so than even the INT casters. There is not a single item that will make or break the accepted fastest bard/character leveling method, you either have the skill to do it or you die.

Other hybrids will take substantially longer to level, even more so on the PVP server where leveling exp groups are more difficult to find due to the lower overall server population.

Lyra
05-31-2013, 11:09 AM
Welcome!

Were you in Songweavers of Povar?

http://imageshack.us/a/img825/325/songweavers.jpg

skacat
05-31-2013, 11:33 AM
Welcome!
Were you in Songweavers of Povar?

actually think I was at some point.. too bad theres no easy way to see my history. some of them bards definitely look familiar though. was never very active in any guilds though back then.

i might do a bard as an alt again once I get up and running, and depending on how the time commitment goes. definitely my chosen class, but there's absolutely no way I can multitask while playing a bard.

skacat
05-31-2013, 11:37 AM
if you find a blonde woodelf bard named Skacat in any of them old screenshots it might be me :)