PDA

View Full Version : Account rules

azxten
07-03-2010, 05:30 AM
So the rules are one account per IP, right? Does that mean people are allowed to box if they have more than one IP to play from? I'm just curious because I see blatant boxing like people literally saying they'll brb on their other character and they log on while the other one is still on.

I don't want to report anyone or anything I'm just asking if that's officially allowed or not.

Smuuglie
07-03-2010, 05:57 AM
Boxing is a nono, but its hard to get caught if you have two different IPs...

azxten
07-03-2010, 06:14 AM
Boxing is a nono, but its hard to get caught if you have two different IPs...

Why are people so blatant then? I'm talking about accounts with level 50s too so they're not throw away accounts. Like, "Oh hey let me log on my level 50 cleric to res us" and they don't even leave group and res their own character in front of everyone.

Are they just relying on everyone being like me and not saying anything or providing proof? I have a couple screen shots that could get some popular players banned if the GMs are actually enforcing this but once again I don't want that to happen, just curious why no one seems to even bother hiding it.

Barkingturtle
07-03-2010, 07:07 AM
just curious why no one seems to even bother hiding it.

Because they're not getting caught. I'd report them if I were in your shoes. Who cares if they're "popular". I'd report my own mother if I discovered she was breaking the rules on this server. Then I'd kick her in the face, too, and call her a whore.

Svampefarr
07-03-2010, 07:09 AM
I boxed without getting caught, it was nice.

It's like training people, just train smart.

Omnimorph
07-03-2010, 12:07 PM
Because they're not getting caught. I'd report them if I were in your shoes. Who cares if they're "popular". I'd report my own mother if I discovered she was breaking the rules on this server. Then I'd kick her in the face, too, and call her a whore.

I lol'd.

Yeah people do box. If they box in a stupid way then there's a good chance they will get caught eventually.

Rogean
07-03-2010, 12:16 PM
Consider this.

There is no warning for multi boxing. It is a permanent ban. So don't think "Oh I'll get away with it until they warn/suspend me then won't do it again". Nope.

So ask yourself how much you value your accounts.

frefaln
07-03-2010, 12:21 PM
Just to throw in my 2cp, I love the fact that TPTB are unapologetic in establishing this rule. I don't cheat/box because it's the rule, and as such I would swiftly report anyone I knew was taking that shortcut. Doesn't matter if that makes me a snitch, honest players deserve to know they're on a level playing field.

Quitis
07-03-2010, 12:23 PM
Gotta wonder why it's in the rules though. Like hey, 2 boxing or multi boxes in groups kinda screws up the party, especially since one person is taking a larger percentage of the coin/loot. But what's so wrong with it solo'ing or PL'ing or twinking/farming solo whatever that makes it so it must be against the rules?

frefaln
07-03-2010, 12:29 PM
If the server population peaked at 103 I might agree with you, but it's healthy and steadily growing. The entire backbone of EQ rests in the dynamics/teamwork between players. Once you start allowing people to 2/3/4-box their way through the content you deprive the game of its very soul. There'd be no incentive to establish connections with anybody and we'd go right down the same path Live did.

Quitis
07-03-2010, 12:31 PM
Actually, just went off and found this thread, so i'm gonna see if it can't answer all meh questions, or maybe get some other people thinking again.

http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=407&highlight=2boxing

Landis
07-03-2010, 12:37 PM
what is the procedure for reporting multiboxers? do you need proof (and in what form?) or is it enough to give you the character names and then you can investigate?

Damaja
07-03-2010, 12:43 PM
Consider this.

There is no warning for multi boxing. It is a permanent ban. So don't think "Oh I'll get away with it until they warn/suspend me then won't do it again". Nope.

This in itself should tell everyone what they need to know.

I do have a question though, Me personally I do not box, hence why I made my Necro so I can twink my main out in the future and not need to box. But ..... I run a Tri PC setup here and I know each PC has a seperate IP and there not even close to each other. What stops a person from doing this? The reason I ask is if I have to play fair everyone else should have to also but with seperate IPs they can prolly pull it off if they do things to look real to others like an occassional chat or /say afk few minutes and sticking to you ... that sorta thing because I have seen stuff like this.

hueylewis187
07-03-2010, 12:53 PM
Just /petition their names and why you believe they are boxing. If you have screen shots of them admitting to the boxing even better. Make a petition on here and upload your screen shot to photobucket or one of those sites than link it in the petition.

Gotta remember a lot of people get reported for boxing that are not boxing. Hard to tell if someone is boxing without watching them for an hour or more to be for sure that one person is controlling both chars. Some people get around it by boxing characters in different zones. Once they try to take named camps with both chars it is easier to catch. To the Original Poster. REPORT those people or at least tell me their names. Please send those screenshots and report them. They are so arrogant and stupid they just log on their 50 box cleric and rez the group, and none of you reported this? Have some morals and report this brah.

I have gotten 6 people well 3 boxers banned. One of them was a 50enc/50mage duo in a big raiding guild. I am proud of helping to stop the cheaters! You should help too. Most of the time it looks like boxing, and I report the people. Than I still see them online and i say ooo I guess they weren't boxing or haven't been caught yet. It is very hard for a gm to know for sure someone is boxing, but when they do catch them it is Wonderful!

My brother and I play together sometimes. We have been reported for boxing. But neither of us have ever boxed or played the others character at all. So people are reporting people they think box. It just always isn't the case. But worth reporting if you see something fishy. If you don't report when they actually tell you they are logging on their other char and don't log off the first. You are as bad as them...

Damaja
07-03-2010, 12:59 PM
Agreed, report the players, just because your report them does NOT mean you are auto banning them, I am sure they will be looked at hard before action is taken and if your wrong then they are not banned and you just made sure they were legit. Still though the question I asked has me curious also though.

azxten
07-03-2010, 06:30 PM
Consider this.

Alright, one other question then.. how many accounts are people allowed to have if they're only playing one at a time? Also, can accounts be shared between people like guilds having a cleric everyone logs on, etc? Basically, is it all legit if one person is playing one account at any given moment?

I'm just trying to be sure I don't break any rules and I know when someone else is breaking the account rules.

Penelopee
07-03-2010, 07:04 PM
Consider this.

Penelopee
07-03-2010, 07:05 PM
Consider this.

I know us in IB has peitioned about Nizzarr multiboxing multiple times and nothing has been done about it so yeah u can get away with it very easily even if ppl do petition you

h0tr0d (shaere)
07-03-2010, 08:18 PM

You're mother's a whore Trebek! lol

guineapig
07-03-2010, 11:18 PM

I hope you realize that they can easily figure out your accounts based on your source IP from the posts on these forums dude.

Kyosho
07-04-2010, 12:46 AM
When I read that boxing wasn't allowed here, that's the last thing I needed to finally start playing. A while back, I really enjoyed playing Shards of Dalaya, but they allowed 2boxing. And nearly everyone did/does it. Which meant, if I didn't do it, it severely limited the classes I could play. Also, if for some reason you needed a res or something, chances are the clerics would not respond, because they were "backup healing" for the person's other character. So they'd not even see tells, etc.

However, even though I've only been playing a couple days, I do sort of see some benefit of boxing. Mostly, getting an item, or money, from one character to another. The whole "trusting some one" thing is a bit hard when you don't know anyone yet. Yet I still prefer no boxing.

fastboy21
07-04-2010, 12:51 AM
banning ppl for boxing, while i agree with it since it is the posted rules for the server, must be very very hard...it must be very difficult to tell decisively if someone is boxing, especially because the penalty is a perma-ban you must rlly have to be sure about it.

i've been in groups where i suspect boxing is going on, but i have no way of knowing for sure. i've never been in a grp where someone admitted to it...its always a "friend" who just has nothing to do and is willing to go afk at our camp to buff us, etc...

i wonder what percentage of the server is actually illegally boxing...or even what percent of the server has an ip exemption.

Zigo
07-04-2010, 01:31 AM
If the server population peaked at 103 I might agree with you, but it's healthy and steadily growing. The entire backbone of EQ rests in the dynamics/teamwork between players. Once you start allowing people to 2/3/4-box their way through the content you deprive the game of its very soul. There'd be no incentive to establish connections with anybody and we'd go right down the same path Live did.

mother fuckin, BAM!

Tudana
07-04-2010, 09:42 AM
Originally Posted by Svampefarr < BANNED

I hope you realize that they can easily figure out your accounts based on your source IP from the posts on these forums dude.

hes already banned, so see..crime dont pay after all.

ClamSmasher22
07-04-2010, 09:55 AM

If he's too stupid to use a proxy server when he says stuff like that he deserves a ban.

Overcast
07-28-2010, 12:31 PM
When I read that boxing wasn't allowed here, that's the last thing I needed to finally start playing. A while back, I really enjoyed playing Shards of Dalaya, but they allowed 2boxing. And nearly everyone did/does it. Which meant, if I didn't do it, it severely limited the classes I could play. Also, if for some reason you needed a res or something, chances are the clerics would not respond, because they were "backup healing" for the person's other character. So they'd not even see tells, etc.

^^^ THAT!
Then it becomes damn EXPECTED you'll freaking box. Screw... that...

I did it on Live - a lot.

Then it was "can you box your cleric for this raid?" or "can you box so and so's chanter for this raid?" - "you don't mind Offtanking and healing your self with your cleric do you?"

Been there - done that. I want to play a CHARACTER in a MMORPG. I don't want to run a 'machine' to get gear.

It felt like I was at work, running patches on one server, while I update SNMP agents on another, while I'm copying data to another, while I'm finding out why this service won't start on another... *puke*

Lusst
07-28-2010, 02:51 PM
/salute Overcast. You're bringing it today.

To the OP - Shit or get off the pot IMO - report these players two-boxing and don't just make a thread saying " I don't want to tell, buuuuut...."

Chicka
07-28-2010, 04:04 PM
[B] I run a Tri PC setup here and I know each PC has a seperate IP and there not even close to each other.

While you may know what you're talking about here and really have 3 IPs - just want to point out that most people (and maybe you) with multiple PCs will have an internal IP for each computer, but the IP that counts is the one that your router/firewall/NAT box has - and to the outside world all your PCs will appear to have that IP.

Chicka
07-28-2010, 04:20 PM
I think anyone with an IP exemption should be publicly known.

What business is it of yours who is connected outside the game? Why should anyone be forced to publicly divulge that information (on the internet no less) to play a game?

All chars linked to the main account should be listed for the IP that requested the exemption. If it's a bannable offense and people are abusing it (hell I wouldn't mind two boxing while I solo instead of just soloing, but you just can't do that here), then the honest ones shouldn't be afraid to have their accounts and chars posted.

You sound like a bad cop - "If you are innocent you won't mind giving up your rights."

What business of yours is it which characters are connected to a single account?

If you have a baby, be careful when emptying the bath.

Gratal
07-28-2010, 04:47 PM
My wife and I plan on playing together, but so far no exemption. (hopefully this weekend) Someone asked how many accounts you could use seperately...we tried logging in together til we found out about the IP thing. But, if I log out so my toon is no longer active in world, she can log in. I'm hoping people won't think we're boxing, especially since we'll mostly duo...but I wouldn't care if people knew we were associated.

bakkily
07-28-2010, 04:53 PM
youll be fine, my dad plays as well rarely though but when hes on i hop on my shaman and power lvl him here or there when he does log on

Overcast
07-28-2010, 05:02 PM
My wife and I plan on playing together, but so far no exemption. (hopefully this weekend) Someone asked how many accounts you could use seperately...we tried logging in together til we found out about the IP thing. But, if I log out so my toon is no longer active in world, she can log in. I'm hoping people won't think we're boxing, especially since we'll mostly duo...but I wouldn't care if people knew we were associated.

Likewise.

As for the above post - about petitioning someone for boxing...

They may not be - just because it 'seems' that way. I mean - perhaps they are. I can't comment on the specifics.

But often - I will /follow my wife's toon while I'm AFK or just being lazy - and vice-versa.

But if I interpret the rules right - it doesn't matter if I'm auto following and AFK - even if she's doing all the killing and I'm AFK for an hour... as long as I don't CONTROL her character and she doesn't control mine - it's non-issue.

I could - with anyone's consent on this server at all - auto-follow them while they kill away, that would be no different if the person was sitting next to me or if the person was in France. But in that - there's a risk with just auto-following someone everywhere also.

I am pretty cautious about it though - I don't want to give the impression that I am boxing at all.

If I wanna go 'box' in a game for 'bragging rights' - or whatever, there are plenty of games and EQ Emu's available for that.

This server interested me because it's classic and because of the boxing rules. I didn't mind waiting on the exemption - sure we were impatient to play, so we pulled a MAJOR classic move...

We took turns playing until we got the exemption - it reminded me 100% of when we first started on dial-up, lol.

But seriously - if you REALLY want to box, go check out SoD or something, you might like it better because that's perfectly accepted there.

And nothing personal - I boxed on live... but I really didn't care a whole lot for most 'boxers' in my group (not on a personal level of course, some where good friends), they might have 'gotten by' but weren't as effective as each person playing one character with their focus on that character. Well - exception was a 'boxing group' - that was interesting.

Still - it never could replace a REAL group.

Coalrymer
07-28-2010, 05:14 PM
The only boxing anyone should do is playing a character on this server, and another character on another emu server.... Really helps with long arse spawns. While me and my guild camps raid target, I usually get on ez server to make time go by.

Other than that, report those guys. There isn't a reason to be boxing 2 characters on this server. With 400-1000 players on nearly all the time. I think the lowest I've ever seen this server in numbers was 355.

YendorLootmonkey
07-28-2010, 05:29 PM
banning ppl for boxing, while i agree with it since it is the posted rules for the server, must be very very hard...it must be very difficult to tell decisively if someone is boxing, especially because the penalty is a perma-ban you must rlly have to be sure about it.

GM just needs to show up randomly and tell both characters to circle-strafe at the same time or something else you need one hand on the mouse and one on the keyboard to do.

nicemace
07-28-2010, 09:39 PM
i multibox.....

on the ez server. haaaaaa :D

nicemace
07-28-2010, 09:40 PM
GM just needs to show up randomly and tell both characters to circle-strafe at the same time or something else you need one hand on the mouse and one on the keyboard to do.

i could get another char to do that with a G15.