PDA

View Full Version : New guy!

Shilver
06-04-2013, 07:56 PM
Hey people,

I'm totally new to EQ, like fresh out of a womb. But I really want to give this game a chance, I've been looking for an EQ type of game but then I found this emulation project so I decided I'd give this a shot instead of something like Vanguard. But I'm just wondering what should I should expect, perhaps some pointers so some guides around here outside of the one main guide.

I look forward to meeting you guys and get myself established in a solid guild/friendgroup that this game seems so bent around!

(also on a side note, totally not a big deal, but is there some texture replacer or something out there? I can most definitely deal with these graphics, just curious!)

lecompte
06-04-2013, 08:59 PM
Welcome to the server and Everquest! I'm typing on my phone right now so I'm not willing to type all the stuff I normally would. The important graphic elements are , to me, the ui and character models, both of which can be altered to a slightly more modern format. Look around the forums and see if you can figure it out. I'll be home in 4 hours or less and will explain/offer information then. /tell Lecompte

Tecmos Deception
06-04-2013, 09:13 PM
I believe there is a guide on the p1999 wiki to the effect of "Guide For Players Coming From Modern MMOs" that you could check out.

xCry0x
06-04-2013, 09:14 PM
Feel free to send me a tell in game on Halmir and if im not sitting afk staring at a wall ill be happy to explain shit to you =P

Shilver
06-04-2013, 10:57 PM
Sweet :)

Is the experience decrease from being an Iksar a big deal?

lecompte
06-04-2013, 11:00 PM
Depends on what your objective is. Do you want to reach the max level as fast as possible or do you want to have fun? If you are in it for fun, no penalty is too great!

Shilver
06-04-2013, 11:25 PM
Little of both, as long as dungeons are viable throughout the leveling experience I could care less.

SCB
06-05-2013, 12:21 AM
Little of both, as long as dungeons are viable throughout the leveling experience I could care less.

Not only are they viable, for many classes, they literally ARE the leveling experience.

mostbitter
06-05-2013, 12:32 AM
play on red

enr4ged
06-05-2013, 01:14 AM
Your first resource should be the wiki.
Check out wiki.project1999.org most of your questions can be answered there.

Specifically check out this (wiki.project1999.org/Players:Newbie) and this (http://wiki.project1999.org/Jval2529%27s_Guide_for_People_Coming_from_Modern_M MOs) to get an idea of the game.

You can use all the other guides to get an idea of which class you would like to play. Then just dive in and try out the game!

Oh and about Iksar, it may be tough as your first experience being an iksar, as you will want to get to more populated areas eventually and EVERY npc will most likely hate you. Yeah that's right, NPC's will attack you and banking and buying things will be very difficult.

As a first character I'd recommend one that is neutral or good aligned and a solo friendly class like a mage or a necro.

xCry0x
06-05-2013, 01:52 PM
The trick to leveling an iksar is making a bank alt in a zone like EC to handle all your 'vendor' needs such as putting money in the bank, buying food etc. Most people use bank alts sooner or later anyways but it can be a slight inconvenience if you are new.

On the other end of things, the starting zones and surrounding areas for iksar are great so you can do a good bit of leveling without having to really travel far while other races generally move around a lot. You could level 1-60 without leaving kunark.

Iksar have a 40% exp penalty so take that for what it is worth, exp penalty also stack with class penalty so an iksar SK gets hit with both 40% racial and 40% class penalty which can get really tedious.

Shilver
06-05-2013, 04:51 PM
Bleh, Shadowknight and Iskar seem to fit my playstyle perfectly. That kinda sucks, I'll have to maybe rethink this because while having a xp penalty doesn't bother me too much, 80% is quite a bit! I do like a challenge though and I'm sure there aren't many Iskar SK's running around, I love being that special snowflake lol.

Thanks for the advice guys :)

Beaniron
06-05-2013, 04:53 PM
Bleh, Shadowknight and Iskar seem to fit my playstyle perfectly. That kinda sucks, I'll have to maybe rethink this because while having a xp penalty doesn't bother me too much, 80% is quite a bit! Thanks for the advice guys :)

I believe Velious eliminates class EXP penalties. I don't know if this applies to Race penalties too, but Hybrids will have it much easier in Velious if the information is accurate.

enr4ged
06-05-2013, 04:58 PM
The trick to leveling an iksar is making a bank alt in a zone like EC to handle all your 'vendor' needs such as putting money in the bank, buying food etc. Most people use bank alts sooner or later anyways but it can be a slight inconvenience if you are new.

On the other end of things, the starting zones and surrounding areas for iksar are great so you can do a good bit of leveling without having to really travel far while other races generally move around a lot. You could level 1-60 without leaving kunark.

Iksar have a 40% exp penalty so take that for what it is worth, exp penalty also stack with class penalty so an iksar SK gets hit with both 40% racial and 40% class penalty which can get really tedious.

Iksars are actually 120% and shadowknights 140% and the penalties are multiplicative so it ends up being 168%

1.2 x 1.4 = 1.68 modifier

enr4ged
06-05-2013, 05:01 PM

Well if you really want to take the boat/look for ports constantly this would work, but for a new player grouping is going to be much easier if he sticks to the normal spots to learn the game like ec, oasis, unrest, cb...

xCry0x
06-05-2013, 05:31 PM
Field of bone, kurns, lake of ill omen, frontier mountains, overthere, dreadlands, karnors, sebilis/hs... lvl 1-60 without leaving kunark.

xCry0x
06-05-2013, 05:34 PM
Bleh, Shadowknight and Iskar seem to fit my playstyle perfectly. That kinda sucks, I'll have to maybe rethink this because while having a xp penalty doesn't bother me too much, 80% is quite a bit! I do like a challenge though and I'm sure there aren't many Iskar SK's running around, I love being that special snowflake lol.

Thanks for the advice guys :)

What kind of play style are you looking for?

Shilver
06-05-2013, 06:19 PM
What kind of play style are you looking for?

Tanky Magician's are usually my play of choice.

enr4ged
06-05-2013, 06:37 PM
Field of bone, kurns, lake of ill omen, frontier mountains, overthere, dreadlands, karnors, sebilis/hs... lvl 1-60 without leaving kunark.

I know that you could level from 1-60 without leaving Kunark but I think you are missing my point... EC is the central hub of EQ, if you avoid this area you aren't really getting access to a lot of things that really make the game easier to get into for new players.

Plus finding a group on Kunark only isn't the easiest thing, sure if you wanted to solo you could do it but the bulk of the server population centrals around the EC area.

Mithas
06-05-2013, 08:14 PM
If you want to tank/magic try a Pally. Less XP penalty, which goes away whenever Velious comes out, and most NPC's won't be KOS to you.

Shilver
06-05-2013, 10:35 PM
Well I'm going Iksar no matter what, as it's just the most aestheically pleasing to me, and MMO are a lot about my character and how he looks/fun to roleplay. Leveling isn't a big deal, I'm just going to go Iksar SK and tough it out :)

Hopefully I'll see you guys around!

pallius
06-05-2013, 11:33 PM
Iksar SK have rich story and are fun to play. Just stock up on alcohol for the exp penalty.

Emphase
06-06-2013, 02:09 AM
http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=2482 - this might be what you're looking for for a little updated graphics

xCry0x
06-06-2013, 02:29 AM
Tanky Magician's are usually my play of choice.

So I am sure someone is going to disagree but..

1) Tanks are hard to play as a first char because gear is important and expensive.
2) Iksar tanks are especially hard because tanks wear plate but iksar cannot wear plate. In velious this changes but in Kunark you have to make do with other shit so to be viable is a little more difficult.

The server needs tanks but for sanity sake, especially if you are new to the game in general, it would be wise to play some sort of caster since they are much less gear dependent in general.

A shaman actually can fit the mage/tank role to an extent, at high levels they solo by slow tanking mobs (ie they cast slow on mobs so they hit slower then just face tank shit). They also are needed in groups, no exp penalty for the class and can solo well at higher levels.. you can also roll iksar shaman although you cannot equip jaundiced bone bracer as iksar which is a big perk item for shaman (click effect damage spell so you can kill things without using mana).

Messianic
06-06-2013, 07:54 AM
So I am sure someone is going to disagree but..

1) Tanks are hard to play as a first char because gear is important and expensive.
2) Iksar tanks are especially hard because tanks wear plate but iksar cannot wear plate. In velious this changes but in Kunark you have to make do with other shit so to be viable is a little more difficult.

The server needs tanks but for sanity sake, especially if you are new to the game in general, it would be wise to play some sort of caster since they are much less gear dependent in general.

A shaman actually can fit the mage/tank role to an extent, at high levels they solo by slow tanking mobs (ie they cast slow on mobs so they hit slower then just face tank shit). They also are needed in groups, no exp penalty for the class and can solo well at higher levels.. you can also roll iksar shaman although you cannot equip jaundiced bone bracer as iksar which is a big perk item for shaman (click effect damage spell so you can kill things without using mana).

All of this is true, but no one can argue with the fun experience of playing a tank/gear dependent class as your first run. It definitely requires more creativity and patience.

RevengeofGio
06-06-2013, 11:28 AM
I could definitely use a shaman buddy :)

LiQuid
06-06-2013, 12:03 PM
This might be a little ambitious for a player just starting out in EQ but if you can get a chaperone or two that are high level it could be extremely worth your while you bum around Karnor's, preferably during peak times, evenings US time when the zone is full so that there are less mobs up and try to loot rots of Jarsath armor:

http://wiki.project1999.org/Jarsath_Scale_Armor

This stuff rots so much because it's not tradable and a lot of those pieces are ultimate for a newbie Iksar SK and getting a good set of armor is going to be the most important thing for you.

I dunno if you'd rather take your time and work your way up to getting gear and stuff but IMO playing a tank as a first class you can use any leg up you can get.

One other word of caution for you, since you seem to be someone who is concerned with aesthetics you should know that Iksars 2 handed slashing swinging animation is probably the worst animation in the game. They don't even hold the sword with 2 hands and it's a very limp, lazy looking swing. I dunno how anybody can stomach playing a character with an animation so horrible. :D

Shilver
06-06-2013, 10:06 PM
Like Messianic said..it just seems more fun to me. Being a newb friendly caster doesn't sound fun to me, especially since I have a lot of bad taste in my mouth from being casters in various MMOs. SK is something that I haven't really played and Iksar has a very deep lore intwind with it.

Thanks again for every post guys! Love this community.

EDIT: Actually looking way more into the Shaman it fits my playstyle almost perfectly. It's exactly how I run my favorite class in The Elder Scrolls series!