PDA

View Full Version : The sad truth about technology and EQ.

Gel Mibson
06-05-2013, 09:44 AM
Let's be real, ventrilo and teamspeak have changed the game...for the worse imo.

From Classic til when I quit in LDoN, my guild and I believe all of the guilds on the server never used TS/Ventrilo. The game was much more fun having to type shit and play at the same time, even when raiding...making it more strategic and actually making raids more cohesive.

I for one, still refuse to use TS/Ventrilo and it's a shame that ALL raiding guilds require this in order to be considered. This shit ain't classic and I am still against using this as a medium to communicate to people.

Lets make the stand and fight technological advancements that have actually removed a critical and nostalgic aspect that we used to have in EQ back in the day.

Uggme
06-05-2013, 09:55 AM
Couldn't agree more.

Though I'm not to raiding yet, there have been a few instances where group members have asked me to log on to TS or Vent. I refused.

I barely even talk to my mother on the phone (I know I'm a horrible son). Why do I want to sit in a group with whoever you are for hours listening to you breathe through your mouth?

Raids doing this exponentially increase the idiocy of it.

People say that these new tools make raiding more efficient. I'd argue that it doesn't. I only makes it easier for lazy people to not pay attention. Macros are an easy way to automate a lot of repetative processes. Just make some.

Ele
06-05-2013, 09:57 AM
I'd argue that it doesn't. I only makes it easier for lazy people to not pay attention.

myriverse
06-05-2013, 09:59 AM
I imagine what you say is true. I say "imagine" because I've never allowed TS/Vent to affect my gaming, but the idea turns me off. I don't and never intend to use any voice system.

Tecmos Deception
06-05-2013, 10:03 AM
Personally I just play with good players. That way we don't need vent, and then if we do want to use it, it isn't full of retards. Yay!

Gadwen
06-05-2013, 10:06 AM
So hard to mangina with vent....SIGH!

Thana8088
06-05-2013, 10:15 AM
I'm sorry Vent and EQ are not fun for you. :(

The guilds I have been in have had some mighty good times!

Rhambuk
06-05-2013, 10:30 AM
I can't stand vent, not only in eq i just really don't like the program and how its setup.

One live our guild used teamspeak once, and never again, only about 5 of us officers and barely even spoke because there was no point...

On p99 I like vent, in a completely non required to play way. I like to talking to the people i've met here and it can be A LOT of fun, but i still prefer to keep it out of my game. I prefer typing and reading to listening and speaking, thanks classic everquest

Uggme
06-05-2013, 10:46 AM
I'm sorry Vent and EQ are not fun for you. :(

The guilds I have been in have had some mighty good times!

I've used vent to record podcasts with my friends (3 or 4 of them). I've used it if I've had a project to work on with someone long distance. It's been fun for sure!

But these are people who are my close friends and family. There is a specific goal to complete, and a timeframe I can expect to be on Vent for... similar to a phone call.

Using these tools in a game like eq is a completely different. You're on it for an indefinate amount of time usually (read: while poopsocking or tracking), often times for multiple hours. Guilds are larger, and you may not necessary like everyone in the chat. Some people's mics might not be properly calibrated (too loud or quiet) making even listening to it annoying.

What's worse, is it absolutely destroys the immersion, at least for me. Not just for EQ but in any MMO I've played. while on vent the game is no longer an adventure. It's a damned video call where I have the appearance of a grinning ogre or whatever my avatar might be at the time. On top of that, this video chat requires me to do something for people who are constantly talking in my ear about god knows what. Sometimes it's relavant, sometimes it's not.

Finally, I've got to wear a headset mic. I'm assuming most others do this too. I did that for 6 years at my job previous to my current one and hated it. The last thing I want to do is put one on in my free time.

Just a few reasons why I don't like using vent or TS while gaming here :) And besides, shit's classic!

Danth
06-05-2013, 10:56 AM
This technology was around by late 1999 (see: Roger Wilco). Many folks still had dialup and didn't use it back then.

I made considerable use of voice communication in shooter and flight sim games, but I've never cared for it in role-playing games. It's not quite so beneficial in role-playing games and the slower pace of gameplay tends to promote a greater proportion of idle chatter that I don't care to listen to.

Danth

Tecmos Deception
06-05-2013, 11:00 AM
I prefer typing and reading to listening and speaking, thanks classic everquest

Not to mention it's hard to blast stuff from the "What are you listening to?" thread if you need to be able to hear what people say in vent, to say nothing of pissing all your friends off when you open your mic with music going.

Rhambuk
06-05-2013, 11:04 AM
Not to mention it's hard to blast stuff from the "What are you listening to?" thread if you need to be able to hear what people say in vent, to say nothing of pissing all your friends off when you open your mic with music going.

oh so true, i 100% played live with headphones on to my cd player. Not so much now but i like being able to watch/listen to my tv in the background when theres a lull in the pulls/in between spawns etc.

myriverse
06-05-2013, 11:44 AM
Nothing ruins immersion more than a troll that sounds like Sheldon Cooper.

That is... after you get everybody's voices straight. It's much easier to tell who said what and when and to whom through chat.

Rooj
06-05-2013, 11:47 AM
I hate voice chat. I don't want to hear a bunch of nerdy voices while I am trying to be immersed in a world. And then you've got all the people who don't know how to operate the program, and are either blaringly loud or so quiet you don't even know they're talking - which ruins it even more.

Messianic
06-05-2013, 12:27 PM

Doing this while playing counter-strike years ago elicited the most hilarious reactions I have ever heard in my entire life. In my.entire.life.

Seriously, do it with some garbage like "Barbie Girl" or the main Lion King theme. People are really efficient at muting you nowadays but you might still get a few people threatening to come to your house and murder you.

Thulack
06-05-2013, 01:08 PM
I've always watched TV or listened to music while raiding. Being in a voice chat with 50 other people is just stupid. It's either 30 people all talking at once or RL telling everyone to STFU and gives strats then its just silence til someone needs something since we cant talk during raids. Vent and TS are a no go for me.

Briscoe
06-05-2013, 01:23 PM
I for one, still refuse to use TS/Ventrilo and it's a shame that ALL raiding guilds require this in order to be considered.

Vent and TS are a no go for me.

I don't and never intend to use any voice system.

boudicca
06-05-2013, 01:26 PM
Better go back to 28.8 dialup and the video cards back in 1999, else it's ruining my immersion!

Toodles
06-05-2013, 01:28 PM
Let's be real, ventrilo and teamspeak have changed the game...for the worse imo.

From Classic til when I quit in LDoN, my guild and I believe all of the guilds on the server never used TS/Ventrilo. The game was much more fun having to type shit and play at the same time, even when raiding...making it more strategic and actually making raids more cohesive.

I for one, still refuse to use TS/Ventrilo and it's a shame that ALL raiding guilds require this in order to be considered. This shit ain't classic and I am still against using this as a medium to communicate to people.

Lets make the stand and fight technological advancements that have actually removed a critical and nostalgic aspect that we used to have in EQ back in the day.

Admittedly, it certainly makes things more convenient - however up to a point. In a small group of people or with a friend, it's far more efficient and comfortable to do even the most mundane things in the game.

As for raiding, as difficult as it was to communicate with text in a one hundred man raid, it did require a level of determination and tolerance.
Over voice comms, it's worse. Most guilds are comprised of douche bag elitist leaders with annoying sheep followers. The former bark orders while the latter show constant disrespect with stupid and ill timed jokes and farting noises. And when the subject of another guild arises, it's constant bash this and bash that. The drama is unnerving.

Just remember though, we used to talk to people over the telephone in conference calls during EQ Raids, so voice communications is still classic!

TarukShmaruk
06-05-2013, 01:33 PM

As someone who, as a 16-17 year old lad, fell victim to quite a few manginas in the era pre-voice comm, I can't say I miss those days.

Back then all you had to do was type like this! hee hee! =)

Danth
06-05-2013, 01:47 PM
In almost twenty years of online gaming I've encountered extremely few men who actually pretend to be women. In my experience most guys playing female characters make no effort to hide that fact. Given that I don't actually believe that the Troll or Iksar I see in my group is *actually* a Troll or Iksar, either (given that they don't exist), I've never given any weight to immersion complaints with respect to voice chat.

Annoyance is a different matter entirely. As I recall, I started using voice comms in late 1998 and started using them in most games I played about a year later. As the tech gained broader appeal more and more folks I didn't care to listen to started using it. I don't think I've used voice comms to any great degree since about 2008. As I age I have less and less patience for listening to teenagers or college kids blather about crap I don't care about.

I don't think most P1999 guilds are as insistent as they say they are, regardless of the rules they post. The player base is small enough that the majority of second- and third-tier guilds have to take what they can get.

Danth

FenninEQaddict
06-05-2013, 01:48 PM

Sorry thats no excuse. True Manginas bent on nerd deception can just use this line "my mic doesnt work" if that fails then fall back on "I dont own a mic" but remember never use the "my cat ate the cord to my mic" line because then everyone just thinks your a crazy cat lady and starts to withdraw. Those first 2 lines have worked over 4 games or more for some people. Just remember if you 'dont have a mic' never accidently key it up or talk in vent because your voice will give you away.

It can be fun to sit in vent and listen to the idiots who really think to impress or who have mental defects that prevent them from interacting with society effectively outside of a video game.

Nirgon
06-05-2013, 01:50 PM
How is just listening to people instead of reading chat the lazier route again?

IE: Book on tape vs actually reading

More the point you should be after, that added difficulty to the game is client stability. If you engaged Yelinak with 70 people (let's just say), do you realize how many would just straight up crash on engage? Or have a total slide show? This is more what makes the game "easier" on P99 than anything else. However, like I say about item recharging and other FLAWS (not content FEATURES removed or introduced later otherwse) its a good thing that this is no longer a problem.

RevengeofGio
06-05-2013, 02:02 PM
I sound like Jim Gaffigan when I'm trying to be quiet on Vent :(

"Hot Pockets...."

August
06-05-2013, 02:18 PM
Cool to see this thread - I agree completely. I said a long time ago when i transferred to WoW that vent was killing the mmo scene.

I don't mind it so much now, to be honest. But things seemed so much more... organized.... when I played EQ -raid/guild had to be clear during instructions, etc. In WoW I implemented a system 'don't talk in raid' - so they made chat channels for 'BSing' in. And then vent destroyed any semblance of organization

I still liked both games, and nowadays I don't mind hopping in and talking to people.

Asap
06-05-2013, 02:20 PM
Most guilds probably don't require you to speak in vent, but at least listen. There are plenty of people who have a "broken" mic and just listen to instructions and type in /guild when responding

morphem
06-05-2013, 02:28 PM
I've always avoided Ventrilo raid guilds, always will
For all the reasons mentioned in this thread

Nirgon
06-05-2013, 02:41 PM
smh

Gwence
06-05-2013, 03:01 PM
voice chat is awesome, you people are all insane

Ele
06-05-2013, 03:49 PM
flash drives not classic either

Nirgon
06-05-2013, 03:50 PM
Gmail definitely not classic.

Thulack
06-05-2013, 04:55 PM
Better go back to 28.8 dialup and the video cards back in 1999, else it's ruining my immersion!

Has nothing to do with immersion. If i want to hear people bitching/whining/bickering or just being flat out annoying i will go to the bar down the street. half the time people's mics dont work or they are to loud or trying to have conversations with people in RL. I don't need that crap blasting in my ear while trying to play EQ.

SamwiseRed
06-05-2013, 05:06 PM
ye the wow generation is really losing dem social skills. the same guys in this thread probably text everyone instead of actual phone conversations or talk to people on facebook instead of face to face.

Cars
06-05-2013, 05:07 PM
voice chat is awesome, you people are all insane

100% agree. What's wrong with you kids. If a new MMO came out that had built-in voice chat and voice commands I would be all over it.

Thulack
06-05-2013, 05:09 PM
ye the wow generation is really losing dem social skills. the same guys in this thread probably text everyone instead of actual phone conversations or talk to people on facebook instead of face to face.

Texting is way better then talking on the phone. No awkward silence moments and you can respond when your able to. I dont have facebook anymore so dont use that :)

SamwiseRed
06-05-2013, 05:11 PM
i use voice chat to shoot the shit not talk about pulling an orc centurion. it does come in handy for pvp tho but you guys dont have to worry about that on blue. mmo players are becoming more and more reclusive. i imagine if boxing was allowed, half of you would never group.

fohkure
06-05-2013, 05:11 PM
i personally wont join a group unless the other 5 people are in vent/mumble/ts all with working microphones

Cars
06-05-2013, 05:16 PM
i personally wont join a group unless the other 5 people are in vent/mumble/ts all with working microphones

I wouldn't go that far. 90% of my Mumble/Ventrilo time is spent in a server with a gang of RL friends all playing different games. I also like the idea of guilds having one used for raids and what not but I haven't really been setting aside any EQ/MMO time these days so I use it less and less for that. I guess I just don't like the idea of having to type out everything when I can answer you faster and far more accurately in the heat of the moment with voice comm.

enr4ged
06-05-2013, 05:21 PM
Yes guys, because reading text chat is much more immersive than actually hearing a voice.

It sounds like those of you complaining have had a bad experience with vent because you are playing with the wrong people.

SamwiseRed
06-05-2013, 05:23 PM
or they are mouth breeders who were griefed out of voice chat haha

Lyra
If i want to hear people bitching/whining/bickering or just being flat out annoying i will go to the bar down the street.

You'd rather read it? You've come to the right place!

half the time people's mics dont work or they are to loud or trying to have conversations with people in RL.

mics don't work - I doubt they are the ones annoying you SINCE YOU CAN'T HEAR THEM!

to loud (too*) - you can adjust individuals volume or even mute them. Fancy technology, I know.

trying to have conversations with people in RL - You may be playing the game with stupid people if they do this frequently. Most people use a push to talk button. Occasionally, someone will hit the push to talk when talking to someone on the phone or standing next to them, but I look for those opportunities to laugh.

I don't need that crap blasting in my ear while trying to play EQ.

You sound like your Grandpa. He'd be proud.

I'm quite versed in many forms of communication, although I do try to be understanding to those that are challenged.

Uggme
I guess I just don't like the idea of having to type out everything when I can answer you faster and far more accurately in the heat of the moment with voice comm.

Think about this for a moment, is that actually a good thing? Are you certain that blurting the first thing off the top of your head is the right thing? Or are you speaking out of passion?

Actually typing something out requires you to actually THINK about what's being conveyed, and how it will be recieved by others. Arguably, typing out what you want to say instead of just saying it could more accurately get across what you're trying to say.

Take my sister for instance - she's an excellent writer and I will communicate with ther via text or facebook all the time. The instant I get in front of her all her filters turn off, and she becomes an annoying bitch. She completely forgets that the nonsense coming out of her mouth might actually be annoying, or rude. She stops considering what she might say and just says it. Typing the words out actually HELPS her communicate better.

Just sayin.

Cars
06-05-2013, 05:24 PM
or they are mouth breeders who were griefed out of voice chat haha

Picturing aliens.

SamwiseRed
06-05-2013, 05:25 PM
more like
http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a629/jpond210/Fat-Nerd-computer_zps2942aa4e.jpg

Cars
06-05-2013, 05:28 PM
Think about this for a moment, is that actually a good thing? Are you certain that blurting the first thing off the top of your head is the right thing? Or are you speaking out of passion?

Actually typing something out requires you to actually THINK about what's being conveyed, and how it will be recieved by others. Arguably, typing out what you want to say instead of just saying it could more accurately get across what you're trying to say.

Take my sister for instance - she's an excellent writer and I will communicate with ther via text or facebook all the time. The instant I get in front of her all her filters turn off, and she becomes an annoying bitch. She completely forgets that the nonsense coming out of her mouth might actually be annoying, or rude. She stops considering what she might say and just says it. Typing the words out actually HELPS her communicate better.

Just sayin.

Hahaha I typically don't worry about blurting out stupid things anonymously over the internet when the topic in question is some form of video game. Saying something wrong and/or stupid will only cost someone pixels in this scenario.

If I was writing a measured response to a sensitive topic, I would completely agree with this sentiment.

Stinkum
06-05-2013, 05:31 PM
For non-EQ communications with people that I am not face to face with:

IMing (mostly Gchat): My go-to for conversations with friends when I just want to shoot the shit, joke around, etc. Probably 80% of what I'll conversate using.

Texting = When something is slightly more urgent than an IM but not enough to merit a phone call.. I need a quick answer to a question or something. Possibly "What are you doing this weekend?"

Phone call = Emergencies or when appropriate like I just got to the bar to meet you and I can't find you, etc.

None of this has anything to do with social skills, just which medium is the most efficient way to get to the point without all the preambles and preliminaries of a phone conversation and not disturbing you, the recipient, or those around you.

Lyra
06-05-2013, 05:33 PM
Actually typing something out requires you to actually THINK about what's being conveyed, and how it will be recieved by others.

So your rant in /ooc last night about swarm kiting bards was well thought out?

On a server where people come to swarm kite with bards because it's classic?

* I don't have a bard on this server, and I haven't been power-leveled by one.

Cars
06-05-2013, 05:37 PM

I think anyone that read what he wrote knows that you can THINK before you speak, the same way you can think before you write. It's moreso determined if the person in question chooses to do so, which is ironic that what he wrote applies to himself... projecting is fun!

Uggme
06-05-2013, 05:39 PM

It certainly was. The dude was being an ass to the detriment of others (by taking literally every mob in a zone to pl a paying customer). I'm not quite sure why the group there trying to exp legitimately wasn't being more vocal about it... But whatever. I clearly stated what I was trying to convey - anger and disgust at the person doing it. Next question!

Edit: I'm glad you remembered the rant - at least I know someone was paying enough attention to ooc to remember what was going on.

Stinkum
06-05-2013, 05:40 PM
I can confirm Uggme regularly rages in OOC worse than a 12-year-old kid in The Barrens in WoW.

We were all talking shit about how annoying he is in my group.

Uggme
06-05-2013, 05:48 PM
Who are you, Stinkum?

What's with the rediculous accusation?

I most certainly don't do anything of the sort. Hell, I spend nearly no time in OOC at all... save to tip for ports, look for rezzes, ect. In fact, I think there have been 2 times when I've held a conversation in OOC. Once was a fun banter in MM. The other was the incident yesterday in OT - and it lasted a total of 5 minutes.

Take crap like that to RNF if you want.

Stinkum
06-05-2013, 05:51 PM
Lashing out angrily again only proves I am right. You need to calm down.

Uggme
06-05-2013, 05:55 PM
LOL. Not mad, of course :)

Successful troll was successful I suppose ;)

Stinkum
06-05-2013, 06:01 PM
You're clocking in at two emoticons per post, and we all know emoticons are the trademark of an angry person trying to camouflage their rage.

Thulack
06-05-2013, 06:08 PM
You'd rather read it? You've come to the right place!

mics don't work - I doubt they are the ones annoying you SINCE YOU CAN'T HEAR THEM!

to loud (too*) - you can adjust individuals volume or even mute them. Fancy technology, I know.

trying to have conversations with people in RL - You may be playing the game with stupid people if they do this frequently. Most people use a push to talk button. Occasionally, someone will hit the push to talk when talking to someone on the phone or standing next to them, but I look for those opportunities to laugh.

You sound like your Grandpa. He'd be proud.

I'm quite versed in many forms of communication, although I do try to be understanding to those that are challenged.

Challenged? Because i choose to live my gaming and real life with having the least amount of verbal communication with people that i need to? I spend my days working and dealing with people face to face on a regular basis. I am always cordial and courteous and am able to carry a conversation just fine. But when i am done work i am done dealing with people that way. I have no family that lives within 75 miles of me other then my 2 son's and i like it that way. I have 2 "Good" friends. Why? Because i dont rely on other people for things including keeping me occupied or entertained. I have many acquaintances that i will see occasionally but really who needs more then 5 people trying to do things with them or hangout or all that other crap. I like being a hermit. EQ is perfect for me. If someone is annoying me i ignore them or /ignore them. If i dont feel like dealing with anyone i will log out of the game. RL its more difficult to do that to people thats why i choose who i want to be around or who i want to bother me very carefully. Vent/TS is just one more avenue to deal with people that i dont need to. If you want something from me ingame shoot a tell. If people really dont know how to raid on classic/kunark without someone telling them in their ear then thats their problem not mine.

myriverse
06-05-2013, 06:12 PM
Yes guys, because reading text chat is much more immersive than actually hearing a voice.

It sounds like those of you complaining have had a bad experience with vent because you are playing with the wrong people.
Everybody is "wrong people."

My hatred of voice technology goes back more than a decade before EverQuest was even a dream. My high school gf killed me on the idea with her marathon phone calls till 4-5 in the morning. I still wake up at nights screaming, "STFU!" because of that crap. She is why I only use 30 or so minutes on my cell every month.

And text chat is a great deal more immersive. But I do even less texting. I think I texted once... back in the early-00s. Realized phones really weren't made for it.

Now shut up and let me play Zork.;)

Nirgon
06-05-2013, 06:28 PM
If someone is annoying me I can constantly reply to them on the forums

Sadre Spinegnawer
06-05-2013, 10:53 PM
agree with op

Sadre Spinegnawer
06-05-2013, 10:55 PM
Personally I just play with good players. That way we don't need vent, and then if we do want to use it, it isn't full of retards. Yay!

or, this solution too lol.

but really, typing is teh classci ~la

Gwence
06-06-2013, 04:37 AM
no one cares what you sound like

voice chat is far superior in any situation

xarzzardorn
06-06-2013, 08:02 AM
not sure how some people playing a very social online game start from the assumption that everyone they play with is an obnoxious toolbag

Messianic
06-06-2013, 08:04 AM
not sure how some people playing a very social online game start from the assumption that everyone they play with is an obnoxious toolbag

I'll go with "they hate themselves so much it bleeds onto other people" for 200, Alex

Jenova
06-06-2013, 10:26 AM
I agree that original everquest was much better before ventrilo, teamspeak, roger wilco, etc. In fact All the way up to planes of power and gates of dischord, my guild raided and we did not use vent. We were able to organize, communicate, and effectively do raids by only typing. I think that players getting familiar with their class roles through leveling and learning the various tropes just made for better players over all. Even during some of the 8-16 hour plane of time raids we were able to make coordinated strikes.
It is funny how in many modern mmo's after everquest, such as world of warcraft, guilds in that game were adamant about having teamspeak for raids and all of these crazy cmod interface ui raid assist garbage. I mean mostly wow raiding was a joke, though there were some challenging encounters, it was nothing compared to everquest justice trials or the avatar of water corinav encouter. I mean having the option to use these tools is one thing, but my guild in wow required it. I argued with them constantly that it was more of a crutch and that as long as someone knows how to play their class and can pay attention, it is not that hard lol. I mean try playing a cleric in everquest where you rotate complete heals and where casting a heal to early or not medding enough could cost you one heal when you need it to save the main tank. Not many games have the challenge and foresight that everquest did. You cannot just spam spells and heals and hope to win.
Anyways thats just my rant but I do think that sometimes mmo's need to kick our ass and teach us that we must actually think and be deliberate about our actions not just spam the same 1, 3, 5, 4, 2 hotkeys over and over to kill things.
On a another side note. I wish more games had the darkness that everquest had at night in original. If you were a human you could not see 10 feet in front of your face and it made for some tense moments exploring when you did not know what could be heading your way. Also, mobs that roam the entire zone and path randomly? that is win in my book i hated how wow had clusters of enemies that barely moved and were basically static nodes.
Well, look forward to seeing everyone in game :)
Good luck, and watch out for those snake kicks, they can be nasty ;)

Droog007
06-06-2013, 12:43 PM
Just typin.

FTFY

Nune
06-06-2013, 12:56 PM
Pretty much never get in guild TS/Vent. To me, it's like guilds are friend groups, and I don't really want to start "hanging" with you guys by sitting in your TS like a fly on the wall. I have a very.. morbid/raw sense of humor, and not the kind you just unleash on a group of strangers. On the plus side, girls think my TS voice is sexy, ooooooh yeeeeeeaahhhhh (Day Bao Bao) :cool:

myriverse
06-06-2013, 02:03 PM
It's got nothing to do with obnoxious toolbags. Talking on TS/Vent with the best people alive is irritating. Just the noise is distracting.

boudicca
06-06-2013, 04:22 PM
Has nothing to do with immersion. If i want to hear people bitching/whining/bickering or just being flat out annoying i will go to the bar down the street. half the time people's mics dont work or they are to loud or trying to have conversations with people in RL. I don't need that crap blasting in my ear while trying to play EQ.

Don't people use push to talk? Or mute people who are being obnoxious?

Thulack
06-06-2013, 04:49 PM
Don't people use push to talk? Or mute people who are being obnoxious?

Honestly i havent used Vent or TS in over 5 years so maybe more people are being better in channels but last i remember atleast 5-6 times a night someone would be talking to someone in RL and everyone would hear the conversation and whats the point in being in voice chat if you have 3/4 the room muted?

Nogdar
06-07-2013, 04:20 AM
I for one, still refuse to use TS/Ventrilo and it's a shame that ALL raiding guilds require this in order to be considered.

We don't require TS/Vent to be considered at Europa ;)

Sadre Spinegnawer
06-07-2013, 04:15 PM
I'll go with "they hate themselves so much it bleeds onto other people" for 200, Alex

ok, now yer just making too much sense.

Arclanz
06-07-2013, 05:44 PM
I agree that original everquest was much better before ventrilo, teamspeak, roger wilco, etc. In fact All the way up to planes of power and gates of dischord, my guild raided and we did not use vent. We were able to organize, communicate, and effectively do raids by only typing. I think that players getting familiar with their class roles through leveling and learning the various tropes just made for better players over all. Even during some of the 8-16 hour plane of time raids we were able to make coordinated strikes.
It is funny how in many modern mmo's after everquest, such as world of warcraft, guilds in that game were adamant about having teamspeak for raids and all of these crazy cmod interface ui raid assist garbage. I mean mostly wow raiding was a joke, though there were some challenging encounters, it was nothing compared to everquest justice trials or the avatar of water corinav encouter. I mean having the option to use these tools is one thing, but my guild in wow required it. I argued with them constantly that it was more of a crutch and that as long as someone knows how to play their class and can pay attention, it is not that hard lol. I mean try playing a cleric in everquest where you rotate complete heals and where casting a heal to early or not medding enough could cost you one heal when you need it to save the main tank. Not many games have the challenge and foresight that everquest did. You cannot just spam spells and heals and hope to win.
Anyways thats just my rant but I do think that sometimes mmo's need to kick our ass and teach us that we must actually think and be deliberate about our actions not just spam the same 1, 3, 5, 4, 2 hotkeys over and over to kill things.
On a another side note. I wish more games had the darkness that everquest had at night in original. If you were a human you could not see 10 feet in front of your face and it made for some tense moments exploring when you did not know what could be heading your way. Also, mobs that roam the entire zone and path randomly? that is win in my book i hated how wow had clusters of enemies that barely moved and were basically static nodes.
Well, look forward to seeing everyone in game :)
Good luck, and watch out for those snake kicks, they can be nasty ;)

Although I prefer more white space in posts, I agree with everything you said. Much hate for TS and the better-than-ultravision lighting of modern day EQ. That said, if I became good friends/hunt companions with someone, then I wouldn't mind talking to them regardless of how they sound. No interest in talking to complete strangers, though.

Vondra
06-07-2013, 11:46 PM
I definitely liked MMOs a lot better when Vent/TS etc wasn't a thing.

It's not even that I mind hearing people talk when it's related to the game. Calling incs and assigning stuff and all that on vent, have no problem with it.

It's all the boring inane shit MMO players talk about when they don't have to type it out that I don't want to listen to. Especially when they try to be funny.

Freakish
06-08-2013, 12:48 AM
hee hee! =)

Hey baby. You online? wanna go to crushbone? I have a PGT for you.

LordSterben
06-08-2013, 10:03 AM
Totally agree. Voice chat kills it for me for many of the reasons above. For one, it breaks the fantasy and immersion of the game. More irritating...give most kids a microphone and they somehow think it's their duty to say every meaningless thought that pops into their head. I just see it as laziness...if you can't communicate what you need to say in a chat window you need to learn how to type faster. If you have to say something long-winded, then that's what downtime is for. =)

Duie
06-08-2013, 10:40 AM
I don't think TS or vent has ruined EQ . At least for myself , it can be quite fun to get together w/ friends and shoot the shit while grinding xp. Cell Phones however ,has defiantly changed the way we raid and IMO not for the better.

webrunner5
06-08-2013, 11:33 AM
I love Ventrilo. I have a big time porn site going on at the same time in raids and they think I am a pure sex daddy. :eek::eek: Plus I was in the Navy for 4 years and I cuss like hell. So they love the screams and the cussing. They sure do look forward to me. :) Vent best thing EVER invented. 2 thumbs up!!