PDA

View Full Version : Tips for keeping your head above water financially in Project1999.

Bleezar
06-06-2013, 05:16 PM
I've been having some trouble here lately. The troubles are primarily gold/platinum related.

If your somewhat new to the game, you might find yourself in the same boat I am in, asking the same questions. These questions include but are not limited to.

I need money for spells. What can I farm at my level?
This weapon isn't cutting it. What can I farm for moneys in order to purchase a new weapon?
My armor isn't cutting it. What can I farm for moneys in order to purchase some new armor?
I've had my eye on something fancy in Auction but I'm low on funds. What can I farm so I can rise up and buy said item?

I realize that the solution to some of these would be just to go out and try to farm the item yourself. Some of us aren't able to. At some point or another, in this game, you will need money to do SOMETHING. What I'm trying to get established is a guide that will help those who are short on funds ( maybe those who need spell money like myself ) rise up and be able to purchase what they need to keep leveling.

I'm hoping to hear from all of you wonderful people out there on your suggestions as to what you recommend and for what level. Try to get this thread as detailed as possible for all levels.

I know crushbone belts are worth some platinum these days. Something about some Sisters in LFay that might have some loot worth getting to sell?

Please, lend me your ear and come help me start a guide that will help future noobs like myself out when they realize, "I'm flat broke but I have so much to do".

Lojik
06-06-2013, 05:18 PM
While not perfect, this guide is a good starter.
http://wiki.project1999.org/index.php/Ultimate_Leveling_While_Making_Money_Guide

Tecmos Deception
06-06-2013, 05:22 PM
Sometimes the question should not be "how can i raise more money?", but rather "how can i spend less money?"

When leveling new characters it is, imo, MORE important to know what NOT to buy than to know how to make plat. After all, the more time you spend making platinum for something (especially if you don't even really need it), the less time you spend leveling (and levels make it exponentially easier to make more money).

I don't have a big list of things, but stuff like, for wizards, don't buy every nuke at every level. If you plan on just rooting and nuking stuff to go from 12-16 solo or something, just pick up the most efficient level 12 nuke and ignore the rest of them. The biggest thing though is that so many new players want to know what gear they should buy, when the fact of the matter is that unless you're a melee you are nearly as well off for XPing when butt naked as you are fully geared... and even melee are much more reliant on their weapons (especially if you're not taking hits, naturally) than they are on their strength or stamina or ac or whatever.

Bleezar
06-06-2013, 05:25 PM
Sometimes the question should not be "how can i raise more money?", but rather "how can i spend less money?"

When leveling new characters it is, imo, MORE important to know what NOT to buy than to know how to make plat. After all, the more time you spend making platinum for something (especially if you don't even really need it), the less time you spend leveling (and levels make it exponentially easier to make more money).

I don't have a big list of things, but stuff like, for wizards, don't buy every nuke at every level. If you plan on just rooting and nuking stuff to go from 12-16 solo or something, just pick up the most efficient level 12 nuke and ignore the rest of them. The biggest thing though is that so many new players want to know what gear they should buy, when the fact of the matter is that unless you're a melee you are nearly as well off for XPing when butt naked as you are fully geared... and even melee are much more reliant on their weapons (especially if you're not taking hits, naturally) than they are on their strength or stamina or ac or whatever.

I understand that. As a naked caster I couldn't agree more. What happens when your slapped for cash and the only thing you've spent money on is the few spells you actually need to get by, and it's time to purchase the new spells but your still out. of. money?

Asap
06-06-2013, 05:25 PM
1. Roll a female character
2. Sit in EC tunnel
3. ??????????????
4. Profit

Gadwen
06-06-2013, 05:27 PM
1. Roll a female high elf
2. Sit in EC tunnel
3. Sell cyber sessions
4. Profit

Fixed

Tecmos Deception
06-06-2013, 05:27 PM
I understand that. As a naked caster I couldn't agree more. What happens when your slapped for cash and the only thing you've spent money on is the few spells you actually need to get by, and it's time to purchase the new spells but your still out. of. money?

I'm not in the guide-writing mood, I'm more in the "go use the search function!" mood. I just wanted to contribute that bit of information that I have always felt is very relevant when leveling from scratch that you may understand, but that you did not mention in your post.

Samoht
06-06-2013, 05:32 PM
The things you discuss makes you sound like a true noob, so I wanted to let you know that there's only one thing that can help you better obtain those PPs:

Time.

Time invested in leveling.

Then: more time.

Time invested in farming bronze weapons/armour and later fine steel weapons.

Over time, you will be able to kill more efficiently and loot these items more reliably. The PPs will then add up, and then you will be able to afford your items and spells.

Oh, and don't try to start out as a melee. That shit is expensive to twink, and doesn't solo very well.

Rhambuk
06-06-2013, 05:32 PM
1. Roll a female character
2. Sit in EC tunnel
3. ??????????????
4. Profit

I tried creating a cybor business at one point. I advertised in ec and in the ec tunnel that i had female chars of all races for your cybor enjoyment. I wasn't the one playing them thank god, but still no interest!

Tecmos Deception
06-06-2013, 05:34 PM
It's really pretty hard for a caster to be so strapped for cash that he can't afford all of his essential spells, imo, even if you don't sell stuff to players. At low levels you just hunt humanoids/skeletons and vendor the armor/weapon/bag drops that aren't upgrades. Most casters can kill wisps at 12 (some sooner) even without any twinking, and you can make hundreds of pp in the course of killing wisps for a few levels, which buys essential spells into the 20s or even 30s... and by that point casters can be killing guards and vendoring fine steel left and right.

You're not gonna get rich doing this, but it is an easy general route to follow to make enough money to get you by while also earning xp. I don't know enough about leveling melees legit to be able to talk about them, however. I also never really bothered to focus on making pp for buying gear while leveling first characters on a server, since they were always casters, so I don't have a list of go-to camps to make more significant PP other than just checking out typical camps like GBS or goblin earrings or fishbone earring or goblin gazughi ring or something.

Bleezar
06-06-2013, 05:37 PM
It's really pretty hard for a caster to be so strapped for cash that he can't afford all of his essential spells, imo, even if you don't sell stuff to players. At low levels you just hunt humanoids/skeletons and vendor the armor/weapon/bag drops that aren't upgrades. Most casters can kill wisps at 12 (some sooner) even without any twinking, and you can make hundreds of pp in the course of killing wisps for a few levels, which buys essential spells into the 20s or even 30s... and by that point casters can be killing guards and vendoring fine steel left and right.

You're not gonna get rich doing this, but it is an easy general route to follow to make enough money to get you by while also earning xp. I don't know enough about leveling melees legit to be able to talk about them, however. I also never really bothered to focus on making pp for buying gear while leveling first characters on a server, since they were always casters, so I don't have a list of go-to camps to make more significant PP other than just checking out typical camps like GBS or goblin earrings or fishbone earring or goblin gazughi ring or something.

Not trying to get rich. Just trying to get by. Thanks for your information. I found it pretty helpful to my situation.

kotton05
06-06-2013, 06:04 PM
HHK guards is how I started my bank roll

Cippofra
06-06-2013, 07:18 PM
To make it short, the fastest way to make money is to level.
Selling standard loot and stuff like HQ bear skins is more than enough to pay for the spells you need. And some +3 INT/WIS item isn't going to make a difference in your gameplay. So just level up.

August
06-06-2013, 07:18 PM
When I was a true noob I rolled an enc and I fell into the same problem. I couldn't afford my level 16, 20, or 24 spells.

I had to just buy the ones I absolutely needed. All I can say is as you level up the rewards get better and then you can go back (or not) and buy those miscellaneous spells. For instance - I didn't buy a single illusion spell until 44? I think. Of course, who needs an illusion when you're already playing the master race: Gnome.

fohkure
06-06-2013, 07:22 PM
fuck wood elves, big platinum

Sarius
06-06-2013, 07:39 PM
Best method for PP is to roll a caster first because they are not gear dependent. Druid would probably be best for early solo ability and port whoring later.

Beaniron
06-06-2013, 07:44 PM
How hard is it for a Paladin to solo Hill Giants at, say, level 40?

Odeseus
06-06-2013, 07:55 PM
It really all depends on your level. If you are in the teens, maybe Kurns farming bone chips would work. Blackburrow is decent, as if you turn in the fangs you will get xp, faction and I think the reward vendors for a few gold a pop. Plus you have a chance for weapons and other such things off gnolls (humanoid). 20's you can go to SK. Aviaks and gnolls drop a few gold a piece, bronze weapons. Gnolls also have a chance of dropping whips, which can sell for a little plat to a pet class each. Also nice because there is a vendor at the top of the Aviak birdhouse.

Plus these places are decent xp to boot if you're the right level.

Vexenu
06-06-2013, 08:30 PM
How hard is it for a Paladin to solo Hill Giants at, say, level 40?
To the extent that it's possible at all it would be extremely, extremely inefficient. You would be using basically your entire health and mana bar on each kill and would have to sit around and med/heal up for awhile afterward. In contrast, a 50+ Necro can root rot 4-5 HGs at a time and regen their full mana bar by the time they re-pop and can keep up that kill rate indefinitely.

As a 40 Paladin you'd be much better off putting together dungeon groups in Guk and Sol B and getting some drops you can sell in EC. You have to play to the strengths of your class. As a Paladin you won't be good at farming plat, but you have the advantage of being a tank on a server that is starved for them. That puts you in a prime position to form dungeon groups where you can have have direct access to item drops instead of having to farm money to buy them in EC.

Beaniron
06-06-2013, 08:45 PM
To the extent that it's possible at all it would be extremely, extremely inefficient. You would be using basically your entire health and mana bar on each kill and would have to sit around and med/heal up for awhile afterward. In contrast, a 50+ Necro can root rot 4-5 HGs at a time and regen their full mana bar by the time they re-pop and can keep up that kill rate indefinitely.

As a 40 Paladin you'd be much better off putting together dungeon groups in Guk and Sol B and getting some drops you can sell in EC. You have to play to the strengths of your class. As a Paladin you won't be good at farming plat, but you have the advantage of being a tank on a server that is starved for them. That puts you in a prime position to form dungeon groups where you can have have direct access to item drops instead of having to farm money to buy them in EC.

I suppose I can always kill Highpass guards later. Will I be more efficient at killing hill giants at 50ish?

And I thought this server was starved for healers, not tanks. I see plenty of SK's and Warriors around, but hardly any Clerics.

Sarius
06-06-2013, 09:48 PM
Sure you can do it, but why would you want to when there are so many better farming classes out there? At 50 you might as well just try to get into KC and Seb groups for a shot at the real loot.

Beaniron
06-06-2013, 09:59 PM
Maybe because the odds of me leveling another class to 50+ after a Paladin are very low, at least until Velious.

Tecmos Deception
06-06-2013, 10:03 PM
Sarius was asking a rhetorical question, Bean. He's saying you shouldn't even be bothering with HGs as a paladin, and you should instead be joining dungeon groups where you have a shot at winning something nice that you can sell.

Sarius
06-06-2013, 10:11 PM
^this^

Beaniron
06-07-2013, 02:53 AM
^this^

Yeah, I see your point. Hell, after this hybrid penalty nightmare I'm going through, now I want to play a Ranger of all classes. >.>

Gustoo
06-07-2013, 03:42 AM
The only thing to do is level up. As a melee, your gear..whatever you have..whatever you come across..is fine. Don't worry about it. As a paladin you still take a ton of hits just fine..no matter what.

The hardest for me is level 1-20 as a caster it actually is hard to get enough money for all the spells you want if you level up in certain areas.

Group it up and dungeon it up and progress through the game. Your character has no bills to pay so his head is definitely above water.

pharmakos
06-07-2013, 04:44 AM
Focus on levels. Start worrying about gear when your gear is obviously an obstacle to getting more levels.

DOPE
06-07-2013, 05:45 AM
Find gear you want that's groupable at your level & put a group together.

Estu
06-07-2013, 09:11 AM
It's funny how many people are saying "forget about gear, just level" when the question is how to get SPELL MONEY.

Easy ways to do this at low levels:
1) Farm bone chips; sell for 5-10pp a stack in EC.
2) Farm high quality bear skins; sell for 20pp each in EC.
3) Farm spiderling silk; sell for 20-25pp a stack in EC.
4) Kill humanoid/undead monsters for rusty weapons and cloth armor; sell to merchants.
5) Loot any and all research components you loot as you exp; sell to merchants.

1-4 can be done at basically any level; 5 only comes in to play starting at around level 12.

quido
06-07-2013, 09:13 AM
Are there any programs for EC gambling addicts?

myriverse
06-07-2013, 09:33 AM
The things you discuss makes you sound like a true noob, so I wanted to let you know that there's only one thing that can help you better obtain those PPs:

Time.
Yes.
Oh, and don't try to start out as a melee. That shit is expensive to twink, and doesn't solo very well.
Wiser advice: just don't buy more than you need. You can survive quite well without twinking (especially excessive).

webrunner5
06-07-2013, 12:52 PM
I never made much plat until I leveled up a Druid and became a port whore. But I did play a lot of alts at the time. Still do. But a Druid can make scary plat porting. :eek:

Play a Mage or a Necro. Doesn't need any gear, none, and by any means not every spell they get.

Beaniron
06-07-2013, 01:11 PM
Now I wanna make a Druid just to have a Porter.

pharmakos
06-07-2013, 01:13 PM
It's funny how many people are saying "forget about gear, just level" when the question is how to get SPELL MONEY.

Easy ways to do this at low levels:
1) Farm bone chips; sell for 5-10pp a stack in EC.
2) Farm high quality bear skins; sell for 20pp each in EC.
3) Farm spiderling silk; sell for 20-25pp a stack in EC.
4) Kill humanoid/undead monsters for rusty weapons and cloth armor; sell to merchants.
5) Loot any and all research components you loot as you exp; sell to merchants.

1-4 can be done at basically any level; 5 only comes in to play starting at around level 12.

I need money for spells. What can I farm at my level?
This weapon isn't cutting it. What can I farm for moneys in order to purchase a new weapon?
My armor isn't cutting it. What can I farm for moneys in order to purchase some new armor?
I've had my eye on something fancy in Auction but I'm low on funds. What can I farm so I can rise up and buy said item?

spells were just one of the four questions. your list is great though. also, don't forget the Nybright sisters camp in Lesser Faydark. The 6-Minute Bard Diet is also good for money starting in the early teens (West Karana camp is the start), as long as you don't mind the faction hits.

Malone88
06-07-2013, 03:37 PM
I never made much plat until I leveled up a Druid and became a port whore. But I did play a lot of alts at the time. Still do. But a Druid can make scary plat porting.
After seeing the poll on how much druids make per port, holy cow, I think I should have started a dr00d instead...

Cippofra
06-07-2013, 05:33 PM
Are there any programs for EC gambling addicts?

Hear meth is pretty good for breaking other habits.

Crawdad
06-07-2013, 10:33 PM
Thought I'd chime in since I started fresh relatively recently (two/three weeks ago).

I have two characters, an 8th Bard and a 12th Druid. Just from selling Bone chips and LQ/MQ/HQ pelts in EC, my Bard has made enough for full banded+2 Opalline Earrings+Gypsy Lute+MM Drum+150pp in the bank. My druid has been a little bit harder without quick access to EC (and bears), however, even just selling all the Crushbone vendor trash, I've already purchased all my spells up to level 14 and had 20pp left over.. only needing patchwork and a rusty didn't hurt, though.

Knowing what mobs to go after as you level is a big part of it. For example, Oasis is great Exp, but hit up Orc Highway or else you'll be broke in no time. Don't worry about not being able to solo HGs, you'll be tanking in dungeons for real loot while all the solo'ers are killing their 1000th plat pinata.

Edit to Add:
Wait... I think I grouped with you in Crushbone yesterday, aren't you a Druid? If so, you really don't "need" hardly anything to level. You can bare bones it, and all you need is Heal+DD+DoT+Snare/Root, and you have to buy like, two/three max per spell rank; That's like 50-75pp by 14.

Beaniron
06-08-2013, 12:50 AM
What level can I start grouping in LGuk and SolB and start camping mobs that drop items worth over 1k? I just hit 25 tonight and I'm going to bind at HHK for a while.

citizen1080
06-08-2013, 01:34 AM
Venture into EC and never leave. Worked for me

Lojik
06-08-2013, 09:39 AM
spells were just one of the four questions. your list is great though. also, don't forget the Nybright sisters camp in Lesser Faydark. The 6-Minute Bard Diet is also good for money starting in the early teens (West Karana camp is the start), as long as you don't mind the faction hits.

Nybright Sisters are great, but I found it always camped.

What level can I start grouping in LGuk and SolB and start camping mobs that drop items worth over 1k? I just hit 25 tonight and I'm going to bind at HHK for a while.

I think 30 for Lguk, SolB is higher if I'm recalling correctly. Maybe 40 for SolB?