PDA

View Full Version : After reading about how much money Druids can make just Porting...

Beaniron
06-07-2013, 09:45 PM
...maybe Druid should have been my first class. Maybe rolling a Paladin as my first class wasn't the greatest choice of a first character on the server.

I mean, I'm Level 24 now, so I'm committed, but still, maybe a Druid would have been a much better choice of a first class as far as usefulness and money-making goes.

Cippofra
06-07-2013, 11:20 PM
The best class for any situation is whatever you enjoy playing. This even includes ranger.

Thulack
06-07-2013, 11:23 PM
When i started here i wanted to play a ranger but knowing how much of a uphill climb that was going to be i decided to make a druid as my main til i got him to porting levels. Made plat porting then sold druid to bankroll my EC tunnel work. Over time played ranger and got more toons to play in the process. Personally i wouldnt have done it any other way. Some classes are just far more easier for someone starting fresh then others.

Vondra
06-07-2013, 11:25 PM
People exaggerate a lot with how much money druids make. My first char was a druid (still use it quite a bit for transfers/selling stuff in EC etc)

If there was a solid stream of people coming to you one after the other to buy ports, yeah you would make a ton of money. That isn't what happens in practice though. Also, for every person on the forums that says they tip 50-100pp, you'll port 3 people that give you 20-25 and another 3 that tip low enough you'll hit cancel on the trade just for feeling sorry for them.

With the downtime between porting people 99% of the time, selling ports is about as profitable as just leveling a necro in rathe mnts on HGs or something. On a good day.

Druids are a great first character for getting situated, but the main boon to having one is for easily selling stuff in EC, shuffling people around to form groups (that you'll group with on your REAL character =P), and stuff like that. Porting for money is a side bonus.

Porting is good for being lazy and making some coin while being lazy. It isn't the path to riches.

t0lkien
06-07-2013, 11:31 PM
I really don't understand why everyone hates the Ranger. It has some fantastic features (track, endless arrow yada yada). It's a great class, well done. And fun to play.

AND it makes the choice of who takes the DT in Fear an easy one.

Vondra
06-07-2013, 11:36 PM
I really don't understand why everyone hates the Ranger. It has some fantastic features (track, endless arrow yada yada). It's a great class, well done. And fun to play.

It's too bad the EQ devs didn't have a little more foresight. Ranger would have been a highly desired group class if they had just added a bunch of trash that death touches in sebilis and KC.

They could have given rangers a line of spell upgrades that allowed them to take DTs more effectively.

Gadwen
06-07-2013, 11:36 PM
The best class for any situation is whatever you enjoy playing. This even includes ranger.

Thulack
06-07-2013, 11:37 PM

Only bad part about ranger is the 40% xp pen. Which when it comes to trying to level a non twinked, no friends ranger it's kinda tough. Just makes more sense to play something else that has a easier time of getting money and xp then you can level the ranger. No hate for rangers here trust me.

zanderklocke
06-07-2013, 11:39 PM

Beaniron
06-07-2013, 11:41 PM
And I love my Paladin dearly. I just hope I don't regret choosing this class later in the game. I hope I can actually get into groups later and not be shunned for being a hybrid.

Vondra
06-07-2013, 11:42 PM
And I love my Paladin dearly. I just hope I don't regret choosing this class later in the game. I hope I can actually get into groups later and not be shunned for being a hybrid.

Should have no problems there, tanks are in demand.

Beaniron
06-07-2013, 11:45 PM
Should have no problems there, tanks are in demand.

More than Clerics/healers in general? Doubt it.

Vondra
06-07-2013, 11:48 PM
More than Clerics/healers in general? Doubt it.

Sometimes there's extra tanks, sometimes there's extra healers. Just depends.

I'm not going to say the world is covered with clerics, but it's not like there's constantly groups of 5 standing around looking for one so they can play either. It's pretty common for groups to be ready to go but need a tank.

pallius
06-08-2013, 12:12 AM
The secret to making plat is leveling up and getting in groups where expensive items drop.

zanderklocke
06-08-2013, 12:14 AM
The secret to making plat is leveling up and getting in groups where expensive items drop.

= a class that can do Fungi camp.

Honestly, if you want to make the big bucks in this game and be able to afford uber items 50K+, the best bet is to make a class that can do duo Fungi camp or solo other valuable camps. Enchanters, shamans, and necromancers can lead the good life in terms of farming items to get rich.

For other classes, you have to find a way to hustle in the economy.

RhondaWellingsworth
06-08-2013, 12:28 AM
I can tell you first hand that people are lying about how much they tip porters. I've ported the people in the thread talking about 50-200 plat tips - that's face value, nothing less.

You make WAY more money dping pickups, or going and getting someones friend from a noob zone. I made 4k in a day porting this guys buddy around norrath to get him all his spells early and to sit in the tunnel and thorns him in ec for a couple hours.

That was probably twice the amount of money yould make porting in a week, save sitting in the tunnel 8 hours a day spamming port locations

Handull
06-08-2013, 12:36 AM
a druid can be fun, and can get you plat, but yeah its not always great. i always liked when I was leveling up the ability to port around and look for named mobs with loot. I could zone into MM, get a crown from maid and a robe from advisor and sell that pretty easily in ec for well over 500pp. now you might get 1-200 pp for those if they sell at all, and the high end items cost more than ever. was do-able to try and save up for a manastone (~100k) on just ports, PLs, and random farmed loot. seems a little more unbearable today with the price of gear and such, but just do what you find fun, it is a game.

Pint
06-08-2013, 01:53 AM
I can confirm best first class is in fact paladin. You just gotta get your grind on.

Beaniron
06-08-2013, 02:56 AM
I can confirm best first class is in fact paladin. You just gotta get your grind on.

Well, one thing that's cool about Paladins is they actually get pretty decent spells and buffs. Resolution, Naltron, and Shield of Words are all solid HP/AC buffs only beaten by Heroism and Natureskin, I believe, Pallies also get a 90% Res and they get Greater Healing at Lv39, which means they can actually be HEALERS if necessary through the. They also get Celestial Heal (HoT) and Superior Healing, something Rangers don't get.

And they have, by far, the coolest looking weapon in the game, the Fiery Defender.

rafaone
06-08-2013, 05:43 AM
From my personal experience (Played a druid 65 on live and currently got a 52 here), you wont be able to make a lot of money "JUST" porting people here and there. Sure, it can help you to easily buy some medium tier gear early but nothing more. Honestly, even if you stay all day long porting you will prob wont get more than maybe 300 pp/hour and thats with luck.

On the other side, the ability of druids to come/kill/go EC/sell/come/kill .. cycle its great. I usually do FM named cycle and check for nameds aswell on LOIO (Spear) and WW (Bandit lord) to say a few.

All of this said, a druid probably cant camp a high lvl moneymaker (Fung champ) and will have trouble killing in indoor zones (Even frenzy is a tough one). If you want to make TOP tier money then roll and enchy/monk or any class able to solo bosses.

Lojik
06-08-2013, 09:51 AM
Just gonna echo what a lot of others have said. Druid is just a very useful class for most of the p99 population, they just don't really fill needs as well as other classes in high level groups/raids. For everything else they're awesome.

You can make some money by porting other people, but like previously stated the ability for you to teleport opens up a lot of farming options. Druids can also PL quite well so that's a way to make some pp. I've never played a dr00d, but it seems they can level quite easily and they don't seem to gear dependent. I can see why it's a popular first class, and why it's always the most represented in /who all count.

webrunner5
06-08-2013, 10:10 AM
I make over 30k on my druid a month Porting and Pling. So it happens if you are on a lot, and not lazy. Never have advertized once on it either even for ports. Hate people that do. :eek:

dscar23
06-08-2013, 10:21 AM
Probably late to this party but just do a little buying/selling in EC and it will more than make up for your lack of porting. If you have 500pp-1k to start with you can triple that in a day or so if you play your cards right.

Jenithia
06-08-2013, 07:48 PM
Druids can make a lot of plat just by binding in EC tunnel and taking off roleplay/anon. Tells for ports galore (along with buff requests non stop).

Beaniron
06-08-2013, 09:14 PM
I really don't know how to play the market, I don't know what sells and what's a bargain or what's a ripoff.

Beaniron
06-08-2013, 10:02 PM
What about Clerics? What do people pay for 90% or 96% resurrections? Can the Epic be MQ'd early on and how much would it cost?

Thulack
06-08-2013, 10:10 PM
What about Clerics? What do people pay for 90% or 96% resurrections? Can the Epic be MQ'd early on and how much would it cost?

Cant click epic til 49 or 51 or whatever. Clerics can make ok Money if they can rez and watch for people paying big for rez's.

Swish
06-08-2013, 10:14 PM
Cant click epic til 49 or 51 or whatever. Clerics can make ok Money if they can rez and watch for people paying big for rez's.

The big money tends to be in Kedge Keep, OOT or Permafrost - so be prepared to do some travelling :)

If you're making a cleric, do it because you enjoy healing... or you'll never make it to the late game.

Beaniron
06-08-2013, 10:16 PM
The big money tends to be in Kedge Keep, OOT or Permafrost - so be prepared to do some travelling :)

If you're making a cleric, do it because you enjoy healing... or you'll never make it to the late game.

Isn't that kind of true for any class though? You'll never make it to 46 if you don't enjoy it?

I enjoy healing, but I also enjoy tanking, part of why I love my Paladin (the other reason being it's a very uncommon class).

And, as I understand it looking at the spell list, Paladins actually do get good buffs (Naltron, Shield of Words, and Resolution), a 90% Res (will people pay for these?), and Superior Healing/Celestial Cleansing. Doesn't this make them good potential secondary healers (with the only contenders really being Torpor and CH)?

Sarius
06-08-2013, 10:21 PM
Get a Druid to 49 and you can make a ton of PP power leveling, you just have to know what you're doing. if you can make 7K in an hour or two that's not too shabby, right?

Auvdar
06-08-2013, 10:46 PM
Get a Druid to 49 and you can make a ton of PP power leveling, you just have to know what you're doing. if you can make 7K in an hour or two that's not too shabby, right?

I was about to say,.. if you're high enough and know how to PL well you will make far, far more money PLing people than porting people.

webrunner5
06-09-2013, 12:11 PM
[QUOTE=Beaniron;988238] And, as I understand it looking at the spell list, Paladins actually do get good buffs (Naltron, Shield of Words, and Resolution), a 90% Res (will people pay for these?), and Superior Healing/Celestial Cleansing. Doesn't this make them good potential secondary healers (with the only contenders really being Torpor and CH)?[]

The main reason most people stop playing a Pally is 1: The damn Hybrid Penalty, 2: They just can't kill anything solo or in a group. On paper they ought to be great. But they suck on here. They are the least played class. Worse than Rangers, and that is saying something. :eek: The one GOOD thing about them is if you can make it to level 60 you REALLY stand out. All 3 of you. : D

Fami
06-09-2013, 12:18 PM
...maybe Druid should have been my first class. Maybe rolling a Paladin as my first class wasn't the greatest choice of a first character on the server.

I mean, I'm Level 24 now, so I'm committed, but still, maybe a Druid would have been a much better choice of a first class as far as usefulness and money-making goes.

I don't charge for my druid services, but people throw plat at me like I do. I greatly appreciate it, and making the druid was in fact for the reason of making plat to gear up the race/classes I wish to play. I mean, seriously, who makes a human wizard? 8D

Beaniron
06-09-2013, 12:46 PM
I see very few people play a Human ANYTHING. Nobody likes Humans apparently, and that's the race I went with for my Paladin.

Sarius
06-09-2013, 12:53 PM
Other races are a little bit better for pally, but its not a misstep by any means. It's not like you made a human war or SK.

Beaniron
06-09-2013, 01:57 PM
Other races are a little bit better for pally, but its not a misstep by any means. It's not like you made a human war or SK.

I'll play anything except an Ogre for SK. Ogre is fine for a Warrior for me, but for an SK it's either gotta be Troll or DE. Ogres are NOT a "true evil" race, they're just mentally challenged.

Clark
06-09-2013, 02:00 PM
It's too bad the EQ devs didn't have a little more foresight. Ranger would have been a highly desired group class if they had just added a bunch of trash that death touches in sebilis and KC.

They could have given rangers a line of spell upgrades that allowed them to take DTs more effectively.

http://s14.postimg.org/uscia1uoh/goodjob7.jpg

Rhambuk
06-09-2013, 04:20 PM
The one GOOD thing about them is

They're almost non-existant

Rhambuk
06-09-2013, 04:21 PM
I'll play anything except an Ogre for SK. Ogre is fine for a Warrior for me, but for an SK it's either gotta be Troll or DE. Ogres are NOT a "true evil" race, they're just mentally challenged.

Ogre's have a higher base int than trolls though...

Jeffari
06-10-2013, 01:13 AM

Just focus on leveling up, the higher the level you are, the more money you can make. Aside from that, level 24? I believe you are the perfect level to start leveling up in oot off the gargoyles, they are good exp, I believe they turn light blue at 27 or 28, and they drop gargoyle eyes, sometimes two that sell for 9pp and change to the merchant, and its stackable. Also there are wood elf merchants a short swim away across the water, the island with the dock and the wood elf chicks, this is also one of the two islands that the boat makes a stop at on its voyage, so its convenient for when you want to return back to a city. Ah anyway, hope that will help ya.

contemptor
06-10-2013, 01:45 AM
[QUOTE=Beaniron;988238] And, as I understand it looking at the spell list, Paladins actually do get good buffs (Naltron, Shield of Words, and Resolution), a 90% Res (will people pay for these?), and Superior Healing/Celestial Cleansing. Doesn't this make them good potential secondary healers (with the only contenders really being Torpor and CH)?[]

The main reason most people stop playing a Pally is 1: The damn Hybrid Penalty, 2: They just can't kill anything solo or in a group. On paper they ought to be great. But they suck on here. They are the least played class. Worse than Rangers, and that is saying something. :eek: The one GOOD thing about them is if you can make it to level 60 you REALLY stand out. All 3 of you. : D
They are pretty weak here. On live luclin/PoP era, where mobs hit fairly hard, they were pretty solid due to snap agro. Here, not so much, especially given that vs any mobs of any real caliber a warrior can just use a mallet charge to snap agro.

Beaniron
06-10-2013, 01:48 AM
Well in any case I'm going to hit 30 tonight, so well see if I can make it through the first hell level. It'll be a real test of my resolve.

Nogdar
06-10-2013, 05:12 AM

I started out with an Ogre SK knowing I'd be poor and xp penalty heavy. I never gave a shit and I don't regret it a minute. You'll be fine bro. Like yer pally, play yer pally. :)

webrunner5
06-10-2013, 09:39 AM
Well in any case I'm going to hit 30 tonight, so well see if I can make it through the first hell level. It'll be a real test of my resolve.

Nice. You have made it higher than the 5 Pally's I have tried lol. We need Tanks on here bad, so go for it. They are a nice, needed class, if you can stick it out. They work out better in Velious. Make great pullers.

ripwind
06-10-2013, 10:00 AM
Also, for every person on the forums that says they tip 50-100pp, you'll port 3 people that give you 20-25 and another 3 that tip low enough you'll hit cancel on the trade just for feeling sorry for them.

As a person relatively new to the server (and low level, and poor), I always feel terrible asking for a port and then only being able to donate 5pp or so - terrible for subjecting the person kind enough to port me to such a small amount, and terrible that I won't be able to afford my spells.

Nobody has sighed at me or complained about such a small amount, though, which I'm very thankful for.