PDA

View Full Version : Terrible players

Sarius
06-10-2013, 03:59 PM
Why are there so many people that have no clue how to play this game? I figured that by level 30 people should have some sense of what to do with their class, but am finding incresingly people are just oblivious. Not to mention people constantly going AFK mid-pull and unannounced. Try a little harder, that's all I ask.

Samoht
06-10-2013, 04:00 PM
my favourite are the pet classes that just tab and /pet attack without any regard to CC or aggro.

oh look, your pet got our chanter killed.

again.

Nirgon
06-10-2013, 04:03 PM
That was the great thing about this game.

No copy paste skill trees. No posted skill rotations..

Some people were good, others never learned.

Sarius
06-10-2013, 04:05 PM
my favourite are the pet classes that just tab and /pet attack without any regard to CC or aggro.

oh look, your pet got our chanter killed.

again.

The same type of people that don't even pet engage until the mob is at like 30%. Nice dps noob

lecompte
06-10-2013, 04:06 PM
Try teaching them how to play -- it helps sometimes. Tell them about:
/pause 4, /assist <tank'sName>
/pet attack

xCry0x
06-10-2013, 04:07 PM

Yea, and their either join some guild that carries them or they flounder once they hit the 40s.

Tecmos Deception
06-10-2013, 04:19 PM
Try teaching them how to play -- it helps sometimes. Tell them about:
/pause 4, /assist <tank'sName>
/pet attack

My experience with bad players has left me with the general impression that people who are bad at p99 are also rather unreceptive to constructive criticism.

skeletoria
06-10-2013, 04:20 PM
hahaha, I've been wondering the same thing.
In unrest a couple weeks ago..some level 40ish asked /ooc "can you rez a corpse twice" and I was on my level 20 cleric and wasn't sure if it was a serious question or not..lol so I commented back with, "when you die, do you drop 2 corpses?" It was sad.. he said it was a "good" question, and that level 60 clerics didn't know the answer..lol

lecompte
06-10-2013, 04:21 PM
I did say sometimes, Tecmos :).

Skeletoria: We all get that question a lot and there are some nuances to be had. Technically, a corpse can be rezzed more than once, just you are just stuck with whatever exp you got the first time. So the correct answer would be: yes, a long as there is still a rez timer.

Nirgon
06-10-2013, 04:46 PM
people who are bad
are also rather unreceptive to constructive criticism.

Willingness to learn.

Beaniron
06-10-2013, 04:49 PM
There's a simple solution to this.

Target the player and /kick

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRnP1RB2TwLd85r4-8eHCMKkJaL5PPbPHn1HDJbO61FGl1D-l0O

Sarius
06-10-2013, 05:36 PM
Is that generally acceptable? If you are group leader and decide to kick somebody that is bad, are other members generally OK with that?

Thulack
06-10-2013, 05:37 PM
All depends. If they are crappy players too they might get mad thinking you will kick them next. I personally have no issues with booting people who arent carrying their weight.

Vondra
06-10-2013, 06:11 PM
Usually it starts a chain reaction of drama due to friends of friends of friends that isn't worth dealing with on p99.

On live you could do it. Neat thing was, you didn't need to much. By mid levels almost everyone you grouped with was at least mediocre.

I blame alt tab. In 1999-2000 computers didn't really handle you minimizing EQ very well heh.

Asap
06-10-2013, 06:14 PM
If nobody tells them they are terrible, how are they going to know?

Cippofra
06-10-2013, 06:21 PM
You can't teach people to not be lazy. There's a huge difference in someone not using the right spell, not using the right pet, vs being afk for 2 out of 3 pulls. These people aren't bad players. They're just assholes.

Aeolwind
06-10-2013, 06:31 PM
I blame alt tab. In 1999-2000 computers didn't really handle you minimizing EQ very well heh.

You actually couldn't alt-tab at all. They had to add it in later. Alt-Tabbing was against the 'Vision'.

Gadwen
06-10-2013, 06:59 PM
Is that generally acceptable? If you are group leader and decide to kick somebody that is bad, are other members generally OK with that?

Unless they just go AFK and never come back or are trolling the group it probably won't go over too well. I think most people are willing to cut others some slack, and the terrible player was probably brought along by someone else in the group half of the time anyway.

Blasted
06-10-2013, 07:00 PM
The game would crash (intentionally) if you were even able to alt/tab out.

EQw came out and allowed people to play windowed (and/or tab out) but it was frowned upon (bannable?) on live until Sony gave in and built windowed mode into the client, a long while later.

feanan
06-10-2013, 07:59 PM
You can't teach people to not be lazy. There's a huge difference in someone not using the right spell, not using the right pet, vs being afk for 2 out of 3 pulls. These people aren't bad players. They're just assholes.

or they are wizards!

zing!

HeallunRumblebelly
06-10-2013, 08:16 PM
You actually couldn't alt-tab at all. They had to add it in later. Alt-Tabbing was against the 'Vision'.

You're in their world now o_O

Is it odd that I don't even remember trying to alt-tab out?

t0lkien
06-10-2013, 08:50 PM

W0rd brother. W0rd.

t0lkien
06-10-2013, 08:51 PM
You're in their world now o_O

Is it odd that I don't even remember trying to alt-tab out?

Not only is it not odd, I don't even remember taking bio breaks.

webrunner5
06-10-2013, 09:04 PM
I play every class in this game and I can tell you it is NOT hard to get into the rut as a Mage to JUST send in your pet. It sort of goes with the class in a group after awhile. By the time the mob gets down below 80% and you cast your Nuke the mob is either dead or nearly. So it seems sort of useless to cast it. :rolleyes:

Sarius
06-10-2013, 09:32 PM
That might be the dumbest post I've ever seen

Barkingturtle
06-10-2013, 09:51 PM
Omg it's on now.

Blasted
06-11-2013, 12:16 AM
hell of a 100th post

Sarius
06-11-2013, 12:24 AM
My first mean one too! Rightfully so!

Splorf22
06-11-2013, 01:00 AM
I was soloing in Sol B today on Dramor and I had multiple people break mobs that I had mezzed within the space of 30 minutes. The first time I was healing up with two mobs mezzed and a mage decided to send his pet on one "because I was low hp". I politely (well mostly politely) asked him not to do this and he was like "I don't understand bards". Then I charmed two and when they got low I mezzed them both and was about to finish one off when a monk randomly beat on it with a tstaff, it ran off and aggroed half the zone. I don't think either of these guys wanted to fuck with me, they just had no clue what they were doing.

I really don't understand how people can be bad at a game as simple as EverQuest.

Cippofra
06-11-2013, 01:56 AM
I was soloing in Sol B today on Dramor and I had multiple people break mobs that I had mezzed within the space of 30 minutes. The first time I was healing up with two mobs mezzed and a mage decided to send his pet on one "because I was low hp". I politely (well mostly politely) asked him not to do this and he was like "I don't understand bards". Then I charmed two and when they got low I mezzed them both and was about to finish one off when a monk randomly beat on it with a tstaff, it ran off and aggroed half the zone. I don't think either of these guys wanted to fuck with me, they just had no clue what they were doing.

I really don't understand how people can be bad at a game as simple as EverQuest.

You don't understand bro. Don't need no cc. My dps all the cc we need. You not used to super dps cc because I'm the only monk on the server with a CoF and t staff. Your job is to sit there and play haste song to increase my dps

Swish
06-11-2013, 02:05 AM
If you think how easy it is on WoW and other modern MMOs, this requires a lot more thought... like playing chess rather than checkers.

Not defending them though, I've seen some terrible stuff in KC lately including enchanters who don't CC at all, or appear distracted (Netflix etc), bards that put clarity song on and are afk half the time, and people who cannot/will not use /assist.

...ok, that turned into a rank about AFK people. But that's an addition to terrible play... distracted players who are browsing the interwebs and being lazy assholes. If you don't want to XP, log out ;)

Kagatob
06-11-2013, 02:26 AM
If you think how easy it is on WoW and other modern MMOs, this requires a lot more thought... like playing chess rather than checkers.

Not defending them though, I've seen some terrible stuff in KC lately including enchanters who don't CC at all, or appear distracted (Netflix etc), bards that put clarity song on and are afk half the time, and people who cannot/will not use /assist.

...ok, that turned into a rank about AFK people. But that's an addition to terrible play... distracted players who are browsing the interwebs and being lazy assholes. If you don't want to XP, log out ;)

Duel monitors fixes a lot of that, at least it did for me. :)
Also your sig is freaking me the fu*k out lol

Shocore
06-11-2013, 05:10 AM
Maybe its because DPS meters were difficult, if not impossible, to get running in EQ. There was no pressure to flex your e-peen.

Not to mention, so many people get bored with leveling that they buy accounts. You could have more crowd control experience on your level 10 chanter alt than the one who just joined your level 45 group.

I take a sense of pride in trying to keep group chat interesting and worth paying attention to, and I like it when others put in the effort too.

Widan
06-11-2013, 05:26 AM
)

BC Heroics were harded than anything EQ has ever offered. Don't be fooled into thinking that something which takes more time = more skill

t0lkien
06-11-2013, 06:09 AM
BC Heroics were harded than anything EQ has ever offered. Don't be fooled into thinking that something which takes more time = more skill

Here we go again. No offense, but whack-a-mole mechanics made difficult by lag and timing does not equal good gameplay. WoW's boss designs are horrendous and belong on consoles in games like God of War - but then I guess that's the point. It got utterly ridiculous past BC, and equally unfun.

RPGs are not meant to be twitch games anyway. If you want a real test of motor skill play an FPS where acute levels of skill are involved. Playing an RPG MMO to brag about playing skill is kind of missing the point of these games.

Kagatob
06-11-2013, 06:18 AM
RPGs are not meant to be twitch games anyway. If you want a real test of motor skill play an FPS where acute levels of skill are involved. Playing an RPG MMO to brag about playing skill is kind of missing the point of these games.

Quoted for truth.

Clark
06-11-2013, 06:40 AM
The same type of people that don't even pet engage until the mob is at like 30%. Nice dps noob

Asap
06-11-2013, 06:58 AM

Playing the bard again I see

Cippofra
06-11-2013, 11:29 AM

Never really raided beyond Kara. But I remember cringing every single time I got halls of reflection. As a holy paladin with no group heal, depending on the group that was often the most intense 30 minutes I've experienced in an MMO. Once in a great while the group would be perfect and we'd breeze right through. I always liked how the game made you actually think and plan mana usage as a healer, which this instance in particular tested heavily. Not all about just going afk for 2 minutes, come back, CH, take a nap, get god loot.

This is also a huge difference between the two games. As EQ is so incredibly challenging simply because everything takes forever, 50% of your DPS sleeping only makes things take longer. In MMO's with real, scripted encounters, one guy slacking just a little bit will often end in a wipe. And the healer taking a second too long to decide on a healing priority list after major group damage kills the tank immediately.

Khaleesi
06-11-2013, 11:44 AM

Hence MMORPG PVP is a joke and anyone who has to say they are good at it, usually aren't or are simply lacking creativity in their hobbies.

xCry0x
06-11-2013, 01:17 PM
distracted players who are browsing the interwebs and being lazy assholes. If you don't want to XP, log out ;)

Hey now, I straight up play other games while grouping in EQ.

Doing full 6 man groups in general is a boring experience for everyone except for the puller & CC. As a cleric, I see hp drop, I heal and sit back down.

Shilver
06-11-2013, 01:22 PM
Well if you see me running around being bad it's because I've never played Everquest before. Give me some help/constructive criticism and I'll respond very kindly.

Taboo
06-11-2013, 01:32 PM
I prefer to think of everquest as a tactical game and not a twitch game. CH rotations, mob placement, tank placement and figuring AOE timers is all tactical. The skill is in researching and knowledge of game mechanics as well as having guildies that listen and understand thier roles.

FPS games are where personal skill come into play much better than here where it usually means who got rooted or stunned first.

You don't play eq for pvp. You play eq because you want to feel you have accomplished doing something grand. To kill Dragons not druids :)

My 2cents.

diplo
06-11-2013, 01:34 PM
To kill Dragons not druids :)

30+ zerg for a dragon in a <1 minute fight...very tactical and grand accomplishment there :rolleyes:

Taboo
06-11-2013, 01:36 PM
Your doing it wrong....

Clark
06-11-2013, 05:29 PM
I prefer to think of everquest as a tactical game and not a twitch game. CH rotations, mob placement, tank placement and figuring AOE timers is all tactical. The skill is in researching and knowledge of game mechanics as well as having guildies that listen and understand thier roles.

FPS games are where personal skill come into play much better than here where it usually means who got rooted or stunned first.

You don't play eq for pvp. You play eq because you want to feel you have accomplished doing something grand. To kill Dragons not druids :)

My 2cents.

good post

Your doing it wrong....

you're*

Nirgon
06-11-2013, 05:46 PM
Velious raid mobs are a little tougher than just blowing duelist and looting

Sarius
06-16-2013, 09:13 PM
I had a wonderful group if low 30's players the other day including:

1) a Mage that would nuke as soon as a mob was pulled
2) a bard that would use AoE slow as first song followed by AoE dot
3) a cleric that would only announce mana when OOM and would not respond to "mana check" or "how's mana?"
4) a necro that would go AFK unannounced for upwards of 10 minutes at a time

Get your shit together lowbies of 99! Do not play like these players!

Cecily
06-16-2013, 09:38 PM
Yeah low level players! Quit making mistakes. It's a 14 year old game and you have no excuse to not know everything.

SamwiseRed
06-16-2013, 09:43 PM
my favorite kind of player is one who tell my entire group how to play.

Sarius
06-16-2013, 09:46 PM
Sometimes it's necessary if they are the only ones who know how. Tutilage or abandonment?

jijii
06-16-2013, 09:52 PM
Sometimes it's necessary if they are the only ones who know how. Tutilage or abandonment?

Abandonment. We're all old enough to know you can't tell anyone anything.

Cecily
06-16-2013, 09:54 PM
Abandonment. We're all old enough to know you can't tell anyone anything.

That's not true.

Gustoo
06-16-2013, 09:54 PM
Give helpful advice. Some people are old noobs, some are new noobs.

Sarius
06-16-2013, 10:02 PM
And some are just clueless

webrunner5
06-17-2013, 12:55 AM
6 person groups on P1999 are just boring as shit. The biggest problem with this server is most people are twinked till their tits fall off. Hell 2 people can go AFK and it really makes no real difference. The longer I play on here the less I want to group at all. Duos or trios are as far as I want to go anymore. Everyone matters in those. I guess it will change when and if Velious ever comes out, but I doubt it.

Sadre Spinegnawer
06-17-2013, 01:07 AM
6 person groups on P1999 are just boring as shit. The biggest problem with this server is most people are twinked till their tits fall off. Hell 2 people can go AFK and it really makes no real difference. The longer I play on here the less I want to group at all. Duos or trios are as far as I want to go anymore. Everyone matters in those. I guess it will change when and if Velious ever comes out, but I doubt it.

cynical post is cynical

Gustoo
06-17-2013, 01:08 AM

Play red

lecompte
07-10-2013, 05:04 PM
Reviving this thread cause I've been playing lowbies of late and had some fun experiences -- gonna add em as they happen:

1) I asked a monk in a group in MM to turn the back of mob to my backstabbing hasted pet. His response was that he does way more damage (as if that would matter) and my response was that the pet does more damage. He quit the group and sent the group leader a tell letting him know how bad I am. He was right to do so. I should have said that my pet does more damage WHEN YOU TURN THE MOB SO IT CAN BACKSTAB.

2) SK's who can't control their pet and dot everything, calling that acceptable CC. Mages who don't use assist keys.

Sarius
07-10-2013, 05:07 PM
I recently grouped with two bards in an outdoor zone, neither one would pull...

lecompte
07-10-2013, 05:15 PM
Similar experience but with druids not wanting to pull in outdoor zones... I mean, we have a cleric, enc, necro, mag, druid, and shaman tank... Druid said no to pulling so the cleric and I (on the necro) took turns.

Samoht
07-10-2013, 05:18 PM
was doing a double enchanter group (2 charmed pets) in KC with a warrior tank. we had a double pull. each enchanter separately targeted different mobs and both mezzed. warrior immediately broke mez on one mob.

then turned to the other and broke that one, as well.

lecompte
07-10-2013, 05:21 PM
was doing a double enchanter group (2 charmed pets) in KC with a warrior tank. we had a double pull. each enchanter separately targeted different mobs and both mezzed. warrior immediately broke mez on one mob.

then turned to the other and broke that one, as well.

This warrior had to be trolling you guys or he bought his warrior and dunno what he is doing.