PDA

View Full Version : Solo: Magician vs Enchanter?

iRFNA
06-11-2013, 12:12 PM
Ok, so it seems P99 has a rule where you have to either outdamage your pet 50% or make it go away before you kill something. I don't remember that on classic (it was do at least one damage or lose 75% xp correct?), but whatever.

So looking at pet summon mana cost vs charm, charm is exactly half cost until later levels then they are roughly equivalent cost. Of course, pets become less powerful relative to mobs as the levels rise as well. So, I was wondering about a few comparisons.

Mana usage per fight vs regeneration rate.
The base mana regen rate is 1 mana per tick, and meditation gives ~0.4 mana per tick per level of your character (assuming each level nets 5 points in meditation). So when breeze comes around at level 16, mana regen while medding is already ~7.4 basically giving an enchanter, at worst, 25% more mana to work with. With clarity that gets upped to about 30% more mana to work with. Less time spent medding sways things further into the enchanter's favor, relatively.

So the question is, with charming and tossing in a buff/debuff along with probably a root, along with the stuns involved and such, how much mana gets dropped in a typical fight by an enchanter? How many fights will a charm typically last? And how many times must a mage diligently resummon his suicide elemental, although obviously it must be at least once per fight? It certainly varies per level, but let's say lv 30 vs lv 50, how do the two typically play out?

Component costs.
Mages get to blow 5 sp per summon, but to survive I'm assuming enchanters need a fair amount of rune refreshes at a much steeper cost per. My feel of this is that the costs are probably in the same order of magnitude, but is that true? Mages also have their phantom whatever line but I'm guessing pets cost waaay more than it would.

diplo
06-11-2013, 01:32 PM
depends on how much work you want to put in.

send fire pet with torch, you sit there and do nothing, reclaim pet when mob is at 2%, toss a low level nuke...get full EXP. you can constantly pull mobs more or less.

enchanter, you're going to be putting in a lot more work than a mage. tash > charm > tash > slow > invis > root/nuke.

if you want to play passively, play a mage. if you want more work for your fingers and brain play an enchanter.

Tecmos Deception
06-11-2013, 02:26 PM
So the question is, with charming and tossing in a buff/debuff along with probably a root, along with the stuns involved and such, how much mana gets dropped in a typical fight by an enchanter? How many fights will a charm typically last? And how many times must a mage diligently resummon his suicide elemental, although obviously it must be at least once per fight? It certainly varies per level, but let's say lv 30 vs lv 50, how do the two typically play out?

Component costs.My feel of this is that the costs are probably in the same order of magnitude, but is that true?

Normally I'm all about talking about enchanters. But your questions make my head hurt.

August
06-11-2013, 06:48 PM
I typically leveled up by finding mobs that are in pairs and then charming one and killing the other.

1) Charm one
2) Sick it on the other
3) Root other
4) They will kill each other about at an equal pace.
5) Break charm
6) Charmed one runs after me
7) Nuke almost dead one - dies
8) Other one now runs since it's companion is dead and is at the same hp
9) Nuke other one - two dead.

So, typically 1 charm, 1 root, 2 nukes per 2 mobs. Not to mention I'm medding while they kill each other. I was able to keep 8 spawns of the gobbos in LOIO down on a 6 minutes timer using this technique.

If you are in an area with unlimited resources it may very well be better to charm a singular pet and buff him as an enchanter, but I was usually camping something with a couple of spawns and I needed my pet to die. If you get a god-mode pet (pure luck usually, coupled w/ maybe being at the higher end of things) I sometimes used him to kill a couple by supplementing with nukes.

Chanter > Mage imo, but that's what I play.

Splorf22
06-11-2013, 07:04 PM
Ignore Diplo, he plays a mage :D

Enchanters are simply better if you have moderate skills, and it isn't close. Like I would rather be a solo enchanter in howling stones south than in a group of 4 magicians.