PDA

View Full Version : Most fun class to twink (sans Monk)

McGarnicle
06-13-2013, 09:44 AM
So since I already have a level 56 Monk, I've been thinking about what my next class should be and have been wanting to make a 200k or so twink. Most people will say Monks are the most fun class to twink but since I already have one, what would you guys say is the 2nd best? Or maybe you have differing opinions and think there's a class that is funner to twink than a Monk anyways. I was thinking a lvl 1 Epic/Fungi Rogue.. but maybe someone can make a case otherwise for say Ranger, Pal, SK, War, Bard? Avoid suggesting casters. I know necro's are great at soloing, but I'm just not as interested in playing a caster and melee's benefit from early high-end gear anyways.

Khaleesi
06-13-2013, 10:05 AM
Server could use more group oriented bards.
Shadow Knight & Paladins always welcome in group if they work to pay their keep.
Smart Rangers are a boon.

If you have cash to drop though, a decked out Warrior would give you the best solo to group, fun ratio.

Alawen
06-13-2013, 10:24 AM
I'd recommend avoiding any no drop gear because that direction eliminates your future options. Jboots are cheap enough to write off, but even there SoW potions are probably a better choice. If you buy all droppables, you can easily change your mind.

I've been down this route myself a few times, both here and on live. I really enjoyed twinked warrior, ranger, and monk. Rogue and shadowknight were not quite as enjoyable for me, but still pretty fun. I've tried paladin on two different occasions and I just don't get it. Bad race choices and lousy damage, plus who wants to have to take a break so the tank can med in order to hold aggro?!

With your big budget, I think you're going to have a good time with whatever you choose, but one final caveat: you will have trouble getting groups if you pick ranger.

Messianic
06-13-2013, 10:24 AM
I'd say Ranger. They have all kinds of really fun tools, but they're just so bland without some great weapons and gear. Twinking them alters that a bit.

Twinking casters - for the most part - is kind of boring.

xCry0x
06-13-2013, 10:33 AM
Deck out a warrior, fungi + nice haste + weapons gg. You can solo for a ways then when you start grouping it will make the entire group mechanic easier due to being able to hold agro and tank well.

Usually a high need for tanks in groups also.

RevengeofGio
06-13-2013, 10:43 AM
A really well geared ranger isn't the kind of ranger that is going to die easy.....

Just saying (I was a ranger back when velious came out)

Jellob_Iafra
06-13-2013, 10:45 AM
I say war..very fun to twink unless you are wanting something different from pure melee..then id go sk or ranger

diplo
06-13-2013, 10:49 AM
i had a lvl 30 monk with:
epic/tstaff/cof/fungi/rotwf....that was pretty fun

Aaron
06-13-2013, 10:57 AM
Rangers most fun to twink. Definitely.

Ambrotos
06-13-2013, 11:23 AM
Deck out a warrior, fungi + nice haste + weapons gg. You can solo for a ways then when you start grouping it will make the entire group mechanic easier due to being able to hold agro and tank well.

Usually a high need for tanks in groups also.

I agree with this. Nothing like face rolling npcs as a twinked warrior at lvls 1-30ish.

LiQuid
06-13-2013, 11:32 AM
I've always wondered what it would be like to reroll another ogre shaman with the gear and resources I have now. I spent 99.9% of my time grouping but I would like to go back and try it all solo and see how well I could do.

That said there are too many shammy twinks, so make a ranger. :)

fennixad
06-13-2013, 11:41 AM
i have a ranger with some bis drop items. i spent more than 200k much more. and trust me a naked rogue with rapier of oriin will out dps you. rangers are "good" on groups and usefull if the group suxs. if you got a good group you wont do anything.
the fact is rangers can do every thing (cc, heal, tank, dps, etc) but they are the worst class doing all that things. i mean:
-we are worst dps class, worst tanks, worst healers, etc.
we still having usefull skils like insta. agro, track, infinite out door arrow kite, etc.
plus cant undertand why, many ppl is twnking a ranger, i had to pay 13k for tolans bracer.
the best twink class is a monk. if i wete u, i would make an iksar monk in other acc lvl him and sell my human monk when iksar got him in lvl.
another awesome option is a sk, warrior too but they sux holding aggro until weaps procs.

good luck and sorry about my english

webrunner5
06-13-2013, 11:48 AM
HE HAS A MONK!!! I was going to say Ranger also. But a Epic Rogue with a Fungi CAN solo pretty well. Plus it is just a ton of fun killing mobs in a heartbeat with epic Backstab.

fennixad
06-13-2013, 11:56 AM
yeah, m with 150k maybe less you can make an epic rogue with 255 str UNbuffed. epics numbers, fun to play those first 30 lvls. u wont have any goal. and probably u will get bored of spam bs for 60 lvls gl.

Stinkum
06-13-2013, 12:00 PM
I had a twink Ranger. Fungi, FBSS, Woodsman's staff, and all the works. It was fun soloing 'till about level 40 then you actually try to get a group for the first time in your life, and you hit a dead end. Waiting 6 hours with LFG tag on in front of three groups with openings and not one invites you is pretty demotivating. There's a reason there's a fuckload of sub-level 46 Rangers, and barely and 46+ ones. It's because everyone ragequits.

Barkingturtle
06-13-2013, 12:06 PM
I have actually really been enjoying my twink ranger and it's largely because I'm not constantly receiving constant group invites the way I have on rogues, monks or shadowknights. Sometimes I just feel anti-social.

Khaleesi
06-13-2013, 12:08 PM
I had a twink Ranger. Fungi, FBSS, Woodsman's staff, and all the works. It was fun soloing 'till about level 40 then you actually try to get a group for the first time in your life, and you hit a dead end. Waiting 6 hours with LFG tag on in front of three groups with openings and not one invites you is pretty demotivating. There's a reason there's a fuckload of sub-level 46 Rangers, and barely and 46+ ones. It's because everyone ragequits.

People tend to misconstrue end game with end game raiding.
They are entirely different beasts.

A twinked Ranger won't give you the best of anything, but it will certainly match normal geared other classes and be plenty useful until 60.

kaleran
06-13-2013, 12:10 PM
With about 150k you can seriously twink out a Shaman. They can be a lot of fun, and have the greatest potential of keeping the luster after level 35 where a lot of the twink'd melee's seem to die off.

Bard would be good too.

Stinkum
06-13-2013, 12:16 PM
People tend to misconstrue end game with end game raiding.
They are entirely different beasts.

A twinked Ranger won't give you the best of anything, but it will certainly match normal geared other classes and be plenty useful until 60.

Are twinked Rangers more than fair DPS and largely misunderstood? Yes. The problem is the vast majority of players in the actual game don't see it that way. My LFG tag does not include an attached research project on my items and the DPS parse potential of a twinked Ranger. They just won't invite you. They don't like the hybrid penalty, the Ranger class overall, and there's a million Rogues and Monks that they'd rather fill their last DPS slot with.

Like I said, twinked Rangers: Fun to fuck around with? Yeah. Demotivating as hell and shitty when you get to the level that you need to group.

McGarnicle
06-13-2013, 12:21 PM
Hmmm, a lot of good feedback. At first I was hearing people say with Rogue epic being so cheap at around 50k that they make pretty good twinks, but Alawen makes a good point about dropping a lot of plat on No Drop gear encase I changed my mind, then there's also the point that I wouldn't get to have fun doing huge back stabs if I solo lvling up. I'm kind of leaning towards Warrior, and even if soloing slows down around level 40, I can still find duo partners relatively easy.

Yardcore
06-13-2013, 12:21 PM
I always wanted to twink an SK or Paladin. However, Ranger never crosses my mind lol!

There is something particularly cool about seeing twink SK and Paladin, with all cool gears and weapons.

I also spent about 200k on my Ikky Monk, and let me tell you, he is one bad ass mofo.

Ryba
06-13-2013, 12:26 PM
For a monk main who wants a melee alt, I'd go with SK or rogue.

SK has fun tools like circlet of shadow and your twink gear will rocket him to FD level. To me, the bonuses are worth the exp penalty and this would be my first choice.

Rogue plays similarly to monk and mashing backstab never held my interest long. But lots of gear overlap lets you twink cheaply if you're willing to transfer items.

In your situation I'd probably just go ahead and get 60 on the monk. You're already playing the best class, albeit the wrong race for it :)

xCry0x
06-13-2013, 12:33 PM
Hmmm, a lot of good feedback. At first I was hearing people say with Rogue epic being so cheap at around 50k that they make pretty good twinks, but Alawen makes a good point about dropping a lot of plat on No Drop gear encase I changed my mind, then there's also the point that I wouldn't get to have fun doing huge back stabs if I solo lvling up. I'm kind of leaning towards Warrior, and even if soloing slows down around level 40, I can still find duo partners relatively easy.

To be fair, you can back stab solo.

You can fear kite and you can walk through back and step back to back stab.

I knew rogues that basically solo'd to 50, I also duo'd 35-46 almost 100% with an epic rogue twink as a cleric and it worked great.

That said, when you drop 50k on an epic it is 50k you are not getting back unless you sell the account.

When you drop 50k on armor for a warrior it is 50k you can get back when you get planar gear.

Nirgon
06-13-2013, 12:38 PM
Ogre SK.

SK is like... the classic twink.

McGarnicle
06-13-2013, 12:47 PM
Wait why is everyone assuming I'm playing a human Monk? I never said I was.. I mean, I am, but yea.. heh. Also, I do plan to get him to level 60 first as well. I'm a bit of a completionist and like finishing what I started in terms of leveling.

McGarnicle
06-13-2013, 12:52 PM
Dunno if I want to go SK, I have a 30 SK I stripped prior to quitting for a year and a half (contradicting my statement where I like to finish what I start), also had a 65 SK on live. I dunno though I'm kind of wanting something with better faction and less xp penalty at this time. I also thought instill doubt was kind of hard to connect? Like if I wanted to be able to BS as a rogue. I'll prob get made fun of but I'm thinking Assling Warrior.

Estu
06-13-2013, 01:05 PM
You're off the case, McGarnagle!

McGarnicle
06-13-2013, 01:07 PM
"No Chief, you're off your case."

fennixad
06-13-2013, 01:28 PM
because if u were iksar, u wouldnt think on twinking a melee, because iksar monk is the best melee class ever :D

Wotsirb401
06-13-2013, 01:30 PM
I would be biased and say Ogre warrior!

RevengeofGio
06-13-2013, 01:34 PM

That's really just a poor community :( back when I did it a lot more people were just about having fun and people being smart.

I had few issues getting a group in 2000.

Messianic
06-13-2013, 01:41 PM
"No Chief, you're off your case."

"Next, on McGarnicle: McGarnicle is framed for a crime he didn't commit, and the only one who can clear him is a little sissy boy, who's too scared to come forward..."

McGarnicle: "You gotta tell em what you saw, Billy. For me. McGarnicle."
Billy:"But i'm scared, McGarnicle!"

Chief: "Well, McGarnicle, Billy is DEAD! He slit his throat from ear to ear!"
McGarnicle: "Hey - I'm trying to eat lunch here."

Completely from memory, so maybe a few words off... ;)

McGarnicle
06-13-2013, 01:41 PM
because if u were iksar, u wouldnt think on twinking a melee, because iksar monk is the best melee class ever :D

Yea but then what do you do once you hit 60 except raid? I want to pummel through mobs from 1-40 for fun.

Skope
06-13-2013, 01:56 PM
I'm having oodles of fun with a pally twink. Fungi, haste, dorf cultural, GFG, and accessories makes for a great twink set.

The Situation
06-13-2013, 02:55 PM
With about 150k you can seriously twink out a Shaman. They can be a lot of fun, and have the greatest potential of keeping the luster after level 35 where a lot of the twink'd melee's seem to die off.

Bard would be good too.

Too many twinked shamans already.

Vadd
06-13-2013, 04:35 PM
Warrior

Beaniron
06-13-2013, 04:42 PM
Twink a Ranger, maybe.

Fungi, Hiero, Runebranded Girdle, 55HP rings, 35HP earrings, dual Lammies, Ivy Etched armor. Go have a ball.

Nune
06-13-2013, 04:57 PM
I say Rogue, although give something pre-40 a ragebringer and youre pretty much pullin aggro every backstab unless your tank is equally as twinked / legit proc weapons

this user was banned
06-13-2013, 05:04 PM
make another monk

Grahm
06-13-2013, 05:17 PM
Gnome Warrior

Beaniron
06-13-2013, 05:18 PM
Gnome Warrior

Halfling Monk or Dark Elf Bard.

Ganjar
06-14-2013, 01:25 AM
Gnome Warrior

koros
06-14-2013, 01:49 AM
SK, Ranger, or Rogue imho.

SK is just a really powerful class when twinked - your dps is decent, amazing survivability, instant aggro, and you probably already know how to FD pull well. Can form the backbone of almost any duo or solo no problem. Go iksar for regen and best ac come Velious.

Ranger is also pretty awesome when twinked, You will tank perfectly fine on any content up until 50, can harmony, and your DPS with a woodsman's staff and good haste will be almost at monk levels, plus instant aggro and cool tools.

Rogue has a cheap epic. Killer backstabs/dps and get some decent AC/hp gear and you can just solo or tank any group you're in up until 50 easily (because you're going to pull aggro anyway).

Verenity
06-14-2013, 01:51 AM
I gave my rogue an epic and fungi and have coasted to level 40 so far. When I feel like grouping, the group is always awesome because I pump out insane DPS and can compensate for a lot of group deficiencies, or I can just solo pretty much anything, especially if outdoors. Intimidate + jboots + backstab = incredibly easy soloing in outdoor zones.

Verenity
06-14-2013, 01:53 AM
I say Rogue, although give something pre-40 a ragebringer and youre pretty much pullin aggro every backstab unless your tank is equally as twinked / legit proc weapons

Double post, but I just have to say that it is very easy to dump aggro with liberal use of evade. Learning to manage your aggro as a rogue is a must.

khanable
06-14-2013, 02:40 AM
Rogue is probably the most fun.

Coolest is iksar warrior, though.

McGarnicle
06-14-2013, 10:40 AM
Bah now I'm leaning towards Rogue again. Haha. Warrior or Rogue is what I'm deciding between at this point.

Yardcore
06-15-2013, 12:58 AM
Bah now I'm leaning towards Rogue again. Haha. Warrior or Rogue is what I'm deciding between at this point.

Rogue - I saw the rogue with EPIC soloed exping with intimidation-fear/kite tactics, it looks real fun and she had no problem taking the big guy down. Rogue DPS is insane, but really, do you see yourself standing behind target and BS all day? I don't know.

Warrior - with good gears, you can do many things with your character. Like someone mentioned earlier, War with fungi is really powerful.

Can't go wrong with both options, but I like War better.

Bubbles
06-15-2013, 06:29 AM
Go like Bard or Rogue.

After playing a monk, a warrior is simply a monk with more expensive gear requirements who has a weaker kick, doesn't pull, does less damage, and lives in fear of constantly joining the CH purple club.

It's basically a one-trick pony melee with few to zero button mashing options to keep things exciting. The ranger has jolt, the monk has feign. the rogue has evade, and if there is a pally or SK involved, they didnt need you to tank their XP group in the first place. When i needed essence emeralds for my necro i didn't even blink deleveling the warrior from 52 to 46. Never missed it, and I did my fair share of main tanking back in the day. I had loads of fun leveling a ranger up to 52, but it's for sure an acquired taste and requires buying a ton of items that are ranger/dps melee specific.

You sink 50k into the rogue for the epic, but with the bard you sink 60 or whatever into the xferrable fungi tunic and you can slack on getting jboots right away (you'll get em eventually for soloing). Bard is as non-committal as it gets. That would be my choice. I can't imagine too many scenarios where you would be killing anything and not just be sitting their thinking 'man i could just be tanking this on my monk and killing it twice as fast".

webrunner5
06-15-2013, 10:05 AM
A Warrior with a Fungi and a good haste item, few good agro weapons, is a LOT of fun. And with that setup they are good pullers also. And EVERY group kills for one. Can't go wrong with beating on things.

I know monks are awesome but there is a million of them. Rogue is killer also but sniffing butts your hole career, get it hole, sucks, get it. :p Go Warrior or stay home.

Fazlazen
06-15-2013, 11:01 AM
go with a sk and get him his epic at lvl 1.

Splorf22
06-15-2013, 06:41 PM
everquest wisdom

As the proud owner of an Iksar Warrior I have to agree with this. I tried a monk afterwards and I was like a teenage girl "omg so much easier!". If you have gotten used to FD/mend/sneak saving your ass and allowing you to split stuff at will you will cry with a warrior. Where warriors come into their own is L60 when they finally get great aggro weapons and discs and are far and away the best MT option. Sakuragi (even with his iksarness) has been The A-Team's main (and pretty much only) tank since our inception and has allowed us to do way more than we would have if I had gone monk.

I also agree with the Bard recommendation. At low levels with a fungi tunic you can just sing chant of battle with a lute and kill like 7 orcs at once in crushbone :D I also tried soloing: at 40ish Dramor could solo kobolds in Sol B pretty well (although there are a few tricks to it), by 45 i could duo the royals. At 48 I can still do BNB with some patience and charming but the fungi is finally starting to run out a bit and the low HP of the bard is showing. I feel like bards are actually much more fragile than enchanters - no rune and no stun/ae mez really sucks when you fuck up. But certainly 1-50 Bards are one of the few melee classes that exceed Monk in utility.

Handull
06-16-2013, 12:53 AM
a warrior twink will be similar to a monk, except your ability to solo well will stop sooner than with a monk. the same goes for a rogue.

ranger twinks can be fun, and they have some utility that is unique as compared to war/rogue/monk. i'm still soloing my ranger twink and nearly level 45.

bards aren't very gear dependent, so aside from having high end instruments and a fungi, I don't see a twink bard needing much.

wiz/mage dont need much gear at all, so thats out.

enc/necro could be fun, but both also dont need much gear early on, and necros i dont think really ever need much gear.

shaman could be fun with the right gear

cleric would be great if you can pick up a manastone (and a donals bp) haha

not sure about sk or paly, but an sk twink would probably be legit, just never got into that class myself.

t0lkien
06-16-2013, 01:06 AM
I don't know why you would put a fungi on a Bard, it's just not necessary. If you're getting hit you're not doing it right, and you have a heal song that you twist in if you do. Spend the 70k+ on your epic IMO.

Clark
06-16-2013, 04:32 AM
I agree with this. Nothing like face rolling npcs as a twinked warrior at lvls 1-30ish.

webrunner5
06-16-2013, 04:45 AM
I don't know why you would put a fungi on a Bard, it's just not necessary. If you're getting hit you're not doing it right, and you have a heal song that you twist in if you do. Spend the 70k+ on your epic IMO.

There is like 7 epic Bards in the whole game lol. 70k, yeah right. :eek: 3 more than Druid's with epic.

Wudan
06-16-2013, 04:53 AM

Fungi is great for bard, its not like they should solo 1-60 doing aoe and even if they do, they will get hit if solo kite - you know, its part of learning te class. Not everyone is such a pro as yourself to never get hit once.....on the other hand... bard epic is 500k so your post makes me think you have no idea what you are talking about anyway.