PDA

View Full Version : Travel question from returning EQ newb

AdamM01
06-17-2013, 01:02 PM
Hi all,

So I have come to P99 after not playing EQ for about 9 years. I played back shortly after release (2000ish?) to about 2004 as the game was slowly destroying itself. It has been along time since I have had to really travel in an MMO so my question is this, what is the best way for an Erudite to travel from Erudin to Freeport? I would prefer to be in the main hub of the game so I can find groups and such. I did get a port to WC a couple days ago only to get mauled from behind by a griffon in EC, very frustrating and now remember one thing I really hated about old EQ lol.

I am a level 5 magician at this time and finding a port to WC has been unsuccessful to recover my corpse (I'm sure the lack of being able to donate doesn't help). I have tried the run from Qeynos through Karanas and to Highkeep only to get my face bashed in about 10 feet from zone in. Now I am back in Qeynos, and from what I have read it is easier to go through Runnyeye? Is this true or does anyone have an easier route to follow to get there. It has been a long time since I have played EQ classic so still getting re-familiarized with old zones. Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Reubin
06-17-2013, 01:08 PM
The only way I've ever done the run is through the Karanas->Highpass Hold->Kithicor->the Commons, so I can't really comment on Runnyeye. That said, send me a tell on Jerron or Allabahallaban if you see me on. I have a 51 Wizard and I'll be happy to port you and give you a bind in Freeport free of charge.

xCry0x
06-17-2013, 01:12 PM
I would say the run is going to be an epic undertaking both for risk and time involved.

I would go to the druid ring in tox and wait for a druid to port someone there, then hail them and ask if they could help port you to wc. ( you could do the same at the wiz spire) This is basically what I did on my ogre when i first started here and they invised me, sowed me, ported me and I think even ran from wc->wfp to bind me for free =P

People are generally helpful to new players.

If you are level 5 and haven't been online I would say i'll rez you tonight when i get on.. but since you already tried to run back I am guessing your rez timer is probably expired by now.

Ele
06-17-2013, 01:12 PM
Just keep sending tells to druids and wizards and hopefully one that isn't busy can get you moved from Tox.

Gorge/Runnyeye isn't going to be much easier for your than Highkeep without invisibility.

AdamM01
06-17-2013, 01:19 PM
Yeah I figured the run wouldn't be that easy. I have just read that most people have been able to do Runnyeye by being cautious (and a little luck I assume). I have logged in at least 2-3 times a night while sitting in Toxx and have yet to see another druid or wizard pop in which is why I chose to try the run. I just don't want to be that newb that randomly tells people begging for a port (don't want a bad rep from the get go).

The only way I've ever done the run is through the Karanas->Highpass Hold->Kithicor->the Commons, so I can't really comment on Runnyeye. That said, send me a tell on Jerron or Allabahallaban if you see me on. I have a 51 Wizard and I'll be happy to port you and give you a bind in Freeport free of charge.

Thank you, if I see you on I may have to take you up on that offer, since I'm already in Qeynos I may just camp out at North Karana if that's the case. I really appreciate it.

xCry0x
06-17-2013, 01:28 PM
I just don't want to be that newb that randomly tells people begging for a port (don't want a bad rep from the get go).

Yea I would not want to do that either.

Honestly, have you considered just leveling around qeynos for a while? I admittedly never really played there on live or here but I would imagine people play in black burrow which has a nice exp modifier. If there are any people leveling around there you would probably be able to meet up with some regular people and get going in levels.

Going to EC is kind of 'blah' imo, especially if you are looking for the real first time play through again. EC is filled with people begging for buffs &/or twinks.

I was a dwarf and I leveled to around 10 in crushbone and it was a fun experience playing with a bunch of other new players.. I still run into some of them although the majority all quit before level 50.

AdamM01
06-17-2013, 01:50 PM
Yea I would not want to do that either.

Honestly, have you considered just leveling around qeynos for a while? I admittedly never really played there on live or here but I would imagine people play in black burrow which has a nice exp modifier. If there are any people leveling around there you would probably be able to meet up with some regular people and get going in levels.

I wouldn't mind doing that, my only issue is all the stuff I had is rotting on my corpse in EC from when I first got ported there. Although I only have about 5pp and a few stacks of bone chips to sell, I don't want to have to build that up again with spells to buy and such. It may just not be worth it to recover, I don't know I haven't played EQ in a long time and especially the low level content.

kaev
06-17-2013, 01:57 PM
character name? I could pick you up with my druid and bind you in FP, but need to know who to pick up

Messianic
06-17-2013, 02:12 PM
1) Don't leave. The best exp until 12 or so is gnoll teeth in blackburrow. By FAR. Hop the boat over to Qeynos if you haven't already and hammer some gnolls.
2) If you must leave, just get a port. Don't waste 2 hours of your life, even if you don't die , just to do it the classic way. There were 1500+ people murdering all the mobs or who could sow/invis you at every step along the way, too, so classic was different in that respect.
3) I can port you if I'm available. Most are willing to port newbs for free. Do /who all 29 49 druid and /who all 29 49 wizard and find one in east commons (they're less likely to actually be busy); they're often willing to bring you over for free.

Lyra
06-17-2013, 02:27 PM
1) Don't leave.

I'm rarely anon while on my druid Greycee. You can always ask me for a free port.

This morning I was just logging for work when someone (who said English was not their first language) asked for a port from Field of Bones to Crushbone - where their body was. I would have done this! But my boss hates it when I play EQ too long in the morning. So I hope someone helped him!

If you are really stuck, and no one is answering your call for help, make a new character (something human) in Freeport and run to East Commons and in as few words as possible explain your situation in /ooc. Pretty sure someone will help you.

AdamM01
06-17-2013, 02:33 PM
1) Don't leave. The best exp until 12 or so is gnoll teeth in blackburrow. By FAR. Hop the boat over to Qeynos if you haven't already and hammer some gnolls.
2) If you must leave, just get a port. Don't waste 2 hours of your life, even if you don't die , just to do it the classic way. There were 1500+ people murdering all the mobs or who could sow/invis you at every step along the way, too, so classic was different in that respect.
3) I can port you if I'm available. Most are willing to port newbs for free. Do /who all 29 49 druid and /who all 29 49 wizard and find one in east commons (they're less likely to actually be busy); they're often willing to bring you over for free.

That is not an issue as I am already in Qeynos, just have to make sure to get a bind. I don't really have a problem staying in Qeynos, just more concerned with the plat and bone chips on my corpse for my level 8 spells when I get there. I'm sure in 3 levels though I should be able to make up that money. I guess I may just be staying in Qeynos then, thanks for the help!

character name? I could pick you up with my druid and bind you in FP, but need to know who to pick up

I'm rarely anon while on my druid Greycee. You can always ask me for a free port.

This morning I was just logging for work when someone (who said English was not their first language) asked for a port from Field of Bones to Crushbone - where their body was. I would have done this! But my boss hates it when I play EQ too long in the morning. So I hope someone helped him!

If you are really stuck, and no one is answering your call for help, make a new character (something human) in Freeport and run to East Commons and in as few words as possible explain your situation in /ooc. Pretty sure someone will help you.

If I see any of you in game I will make sure and send you a tell and thank you. If I decide not to stay in Qeynos I may take you up on the offer. Thank you all for your help.

Edit: Name in game is Halius.

Drone
06-17-2013, 02:43 PM
I suggest try leveling to 8, and if you only have enough money for one spell buy Invisibility. Make the run then-- good luck!

Kika Maslyaka
06-17-2013, 02:58 PM
yeah I would stay and level up in BlackBurrow all way till 12-15 - gnoll tooth good xp

xCry0x
06-17-2013, 02:58 PM
If you only have money for 1 spell buy your level 8 fire pet and then level to 12 =P

AdamM01
06-17-2013, 04:01 PM
If you only have money for 1 spell buy your level 8 fire pet and then level to 12 =P

Lol that is what I was planning if I don't have any money.

Sarius
06-17-2013, 04:09 PM
Not sure how late you play, but I'll happily give you some money for spells or pay for your port from Toxx to FP and back around 12-1AM EST when I log on. Just PM me later tonight if you still need help.

Hobie819
06-17-2013, 04:25 PM
Just let us know your name and play time. Plenty of folks to help, right now we just don't know who to help :D

Edit - saw your edit with name

AdamM01
06-17-2013, 04:34 PM
Thank you everyone for the responses.

Just let us know your name and play time. Plenty of folks to help, right now we just don't know who to help :D

Edit - saw your edit with name

I am usually on from 8-11 MST. Thank you.

Multisync
06-17-2013, 05:48 PM
AdamM01,

I am on most nights your times on my Shaman Multisync, shoot me a tell if you see me online and i might be able to help ya out some.

Brandonian10
06-17-2013, 06:02 PM
Go south. Qeynos hills, WK, NK, SK, Lake Rathe, Rathe Mountains, Feerrott, Innothule, South Ro, Oasis, North Ro, EC.

It's longer but if you're very careful you can do it without invis. Just be extra cautious in the oasis/south ro area.

Yeah, a port would obviously be much easier though. Make sure you grab a bind.

Blasted
06-17-2013, 06:56 PM
I was about to offer my help via wizard port, but it seems like a lot of other people have already offered. Nice to see so many friendly people.

Look me up if you do in fact need a ride. A wizard port to NRO may be safer.

Trazic
06-17-2013, 08:28 PM
I ran from Halas to freeport at level 3 (the level rogues can hide/sneak). It was brutal.

AdamM01
06-18-2013, 12:08 AM
I just wanted to give a BIG thanks to Hobie for porting me, running with me to my corpse, and binding me in freeport. It was a big help and I really appreciate it. Thank you so much again!