PDA

View Full Version : Hole groups?

Vilkata
06-17-2013, 06:41 PM
Anyone group there regularly? I have a 54 druid and a 45 monk, would love a shot at some of that withered gear.

Nubben
06-17-2013, 07:00 PM
This is a shot in the dark, but did you play a rogue on Mithaniel Marr back in 1999?

Vilkata
06-17-2013, 07:46 PM
I played on the FV server, joined eq about a month before luclin went live.

citizen1080
06-17-2013, 09:07 PM
I was on FV as well sir. Diasu, bard in fire and fury

Vilkata
06-17-2013, 09:24 PM
I was never uber like you guys, I rerolled way too much on a server that allowed 1 toon per account. I think a FnF guy gave my monk a ton pos helm once when I was exploring dragon necropolis when they were there for someones epic 2.0. Felt like I had won the lottery.

Khaleesi
06-18-2013, 05:50 AM
Anyone group there regularly? I have a 54 druid and a 45 monk, would love a shot at some of that withered gear.

Hi Vilkata,

Most often those found in the Hole are there for epic related reasons or farming a specific set of equipment.

However occasionally you find people grouping for experience.
There's several reasons it's a low population zone :

A) The ZEM or bonus experience is low in contrast to other dungeons.
B) As you may remember the construction of it - not far into the zone- results in a point of no return. This turns people away as it's too committal.
C) Most mobs, particularly past the first castle wing are a bit challenging in contrast to their con rating.

If you want to do the Hole (and by all means please do, I am always interested myself and adventure is part of EQ's fun), you should fulfill these prerequisites :

A) Have a rogue in group - or have a rogue (Brell aligned) camped outside the hole. The purpose is A) Open the door B) Corpse Drag
B) Have a cleric in group or have a cleric parked nearby.
C) Have a mage with Call of the Hero spell
D) Have a druid or wizard. The purpose is A) Evacuation B) Root/snare
E) Have an enchanter or bard for mesmerizing - bard for pulling.
F) Learn layout of the outer castle wall and inner wings (essentially everything before the undead tower)

It seems like a tall order to fill however it leaves one space for a tank/monk and provides you coverage for all your bases + map knowledge to keep things moving smoothly. Your aim is to reach the long hallway just before the ramp opening leading to the undead tower.

Should something go wrong and you did not evacuate intentionally, the procedure will then be :
If someone dies : Cleric gates > Rogue opens the door > Rogue retrieves corpse > Cleric revives > Mage Calls the three back down to the group's spot.

I would suggest parking a cleric and replacing them with a Shaman instead. A cleric would be a bit unnecessary on the mobs you'd most likely run into. I'd only be concerned about requiring a cleric once you read the undead tower mobs - which is another discussion in itself.

My ideal Hole setup is :

Tank/Monk
Bard (55+)
Shaman
Mage
Rogue
Druid
Cleric (parked)

Keykey
06-18-2013, 10:25 AM
A) Open the door

http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?p=949763#post949763

xCry0x
06-18-2013, 10:40 AM
Or you could just park a necro near by to summon corpses in the event of a wipe and go in with whatever group you want.

I think the largest thing stopping people from going is not being able to get out/get in freely ... it also sucks that getting anywhere deep inside generally involves moving with a full group and dungeon crawling in but to an extent Seb is the same way (just do not need to crawl as far)

TarukShmaruk
06-18-2013, 10:56 AM
Wasn't The Hole supposed to have a huge ZEM?

It's too bad that place sucks. I was looking forward to doing it.

Vilkata
06-18-2013, 04:07 PM
Im still willing to try if anyone is interested.

Khaleesi
06-19-2013, 07:44 AM
Wasn't The Hole supposed to have a huge ZEM?

It's too bad that place sucks. I was looking forward to doing it.

I don't remember it being meant to have one; and I do remember it not being particularly great. However in contrast to Karnors, it's better - especially on certain mobs. Camping rat men is easy and respawns are quick enough that you don't wait long, if at all.

First thing to do is decide what level you want to attempt it. If you're anything under 50sh than going beyond the entrance elementals is not worth your time.

Vilkata apologies I have no plans to revisit Hole anytime soon; however if you consider what I've suggested and build some confidence in your understanding, you can then reach out to others in game as well - get them interested in coming along.

I'd reword your original post or make a new thread and simply say 'Looking to make or join hole group' and then post your details and times of play.