PDA

View Full Version : Public Service Announcement: Bard Kiting

Faerie
06-22-2013, 05:17 PM
Thie is AoE kiting:
http://i43.tinypic.com/o90nrl.jpg

Note the use of AoE dots, and the circular pattern the corpses make.

This is swarm kiting (sorry for blah Luclin graphics, first I could find):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sd9QBz8jaao

Note the use of charm, and social NPCs that engage in swarm behavior:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swarm_behaviour

AoE kiting is not swarm kiting. Swarm kiting always, always uses charm in classic EQ, and I think might be broken here because of some NPC agro bug preventing the social NPCs from engaging in swarm behavior as they should, when a charmed NPC is involved. If swarm kiting is broken here, swarm kiting does not exist on P99.

Please stop using these terms erroneously. As a classic bard suffering from light neuroticism, it makes me sad. Please don't make me sad :(

Hailto
06-22-2013, 05:18 PM
spergin

Barkingturtle
06-22-2013, 05:23 PM
Most disappointing aspect of P99, to me, is that swarm kiting doesn't work.

Anyway, good luck educating these unwashed masses.

Thulack
06-22-2013, 05:24 PM
We here on blue live to make you sad Faerie. Deal with it

t0lkien
06-22-2013, 05:36 PM
Faerie, you really need to let it go. It's semantic. Tomato, tomayto. Potato, potayto. It doesn't matter what it's called. It's a gamerism. There is no dictionary definition for it. People are going to call it whatever they want to call it.

It was called different things on different servers, anyway. There was no distinction on Tarew Marr, for instance. Charm kiting was called charm kiting, not swarm kiting. So it's a moot point.

If you were posting continually about the pollution of the English language with puerile colloquialisms, and the use of words to mean something they don't, and for which we already have perfectly good words, I'd be down with you. But this... this is obsession ;)

webrunner5
06-22-2013, 05:41 PM
puerile colloquialisms;)

I have been called worse what ever it means.

Faerie
06-22-2013, 05:43 PM
If you were posting continually about the pollution of the English language with puerile colloquialisms, and the use of words to mean something they don't, and for which we already have perfectly good words, I'd be down with you.

You're welcome to join me in my quest to end the rampant abuse of the word "literally", if you'd like :)

But this... this is obsession ;)

I will fight to the death over this. If I'm to fight alone, then so be it.

Someone has to, for all of Bardkind. Do you want your children growing up in a world where people mistake AoE kiting for swarming? That's what I thought.

Flamewraith
06-22-2013, 05:50 PM
http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/27833810.jpg

SCB
06-22-2013, 05:54 PM
On my server, AoE kiting/swarm kiting were used interchangably and charm kiting used to describe the style in the vid you posted.

Also that vid really made me want to see more Velious.

Faerie
06-22-2013, 05:58 PM
On my server, AoE kiting/swarm kiting were used interchangably and charm kiting used to describe the style in the vid you posted.

Sounds like anti-bard propaganda. Did the clerics get to you?

zanderklocke
06-22-2013, 06:03 PM
That first screenshot doesn't even look like AoE kiting since you are standing in the huge clump of mobs. In my mind AoE kiting implies being chased by the mobs and hitting them with a PBAOE song when just out of range. Most of the time, I couldn't even see the mobs behind me when leveling up by kiting (they might have been barely in the bottom corner of my screen when I was scrolled out to third person.). Think of the bard as a kite and the mobs as the tail that trails behind the kite.

Your screenshot just looks like a clump of mobs being AoEed down almost like a chardok group.

Regardless, who cares?

t0lkien
06-22-2013, 06:04 PM
I see you landed Chords of Dissonance though. Nice job.

Faerie
06-22-2013, 06:07 PM
That first screenshot doesn't even look like AoE kiting since you are standing in the huge clump of mobs. In my mind AoE kiting implies being chases by the mobs and hitting them with a PBAOE song when just out of range. Most of the time, I couldn't even see the mobs behind me when leveling up by kiting (they might have been barely in the bottom corner of my screen when I was scrolled out to third person.). Think of the bard as a kite and the mobs as the tail that trails behind the kite.

Your screenshot just looks like a clump of mobs being AoEed down almost like a chardok group.

Yeah, it is. But this seemed like the most informative screenshot I could find, as you can see the AoE dot being casted in a circle of NPCs. Maybe it was wrong of me to use a group/PL kite screenshot, but I had to get my point across to people that seem gravely uninformed in the first place. No one would notice unless they already knew that swarming means charming.

Regardless, who cares?

Apathy will be the death of everything beautiful :(

zanderklocke
06-22-2013, 06:11 PM
Apathy will be the death of everything beautiful :(

Gotta choose your battles, man.

It's almost like pop vs soda vs coke. At the end of the day, what's in a name? It's still the same physical thing regardless of language. Since charm kiting can't really be done on this server, everyone is referring to the same thing anyway.

t0lkien
06-22-2013, 06:15 PM
I tell you something for nothing though, those Skellies are swarming after me angrily when I AoE kite in LOIO.

(The anger bit may have been me anthropomorphizing).

Faerie
06-22-2013, 06:40 PM
Gotta choose your battles, man.

It's almost like pop vs soda vs coke. At the end of the day, what's in a name? It's still the same physical thing regardless of language. Since charm kiting can't really be done on this server, everyone is referring to the same thing anyway.

It saddens me that you're unwilling to fight for my important cause, even though you seem like an admirable bard :(

This is much more important than carbonated corn syrup, and if you're not going to help me out here then please at least try not to hinder my noble quest to educate. Thank you.

kingsBlend
06-22-2013, 06:43 PM
See sig.

Messianic
06-22-2013, 07:05 PM
"Guys, my preferred usage of of a subjective language is objectively better than yours."

Stinkum
06-22-2013, 08:09 PM
spergin

Faerie
06-22-2013, 09:24 PM
I know it's hard to admit to yourselves that you're wrong, but it's something you're going to have to do sooner or later. Swarm kiting simply does not exist on P99, and I hope you accept that soon.

LiQuid
06-23-2013, 12:00 AM
When bards AE kite they are being chased by a lot of enemies, which can justifiably be called a "swarm" so any type of kiting involving said swarm is considered swarm kiting to me and I don't give any amount of crap whether or not some dork thinks it's proper nomenclature.

katrik
06-23-2013, 12:27 AM
http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/27833810.jpg