PDA

View Full Version : Couple Questions From A Potential New Player

CleverName
06-23-2013, 03:29 PM
Hello everyone. I was thinking of playing this server, as I originally played EQ1 when it first launched, and I have realized my entire MMO life has always been about trying to recapture my experience with EQ.

Right now I am playing Vanguard SOH, which is great for the moment, but it still lacks that old tyme feel.

Reading up and getting opinions, I thought I would give this a go. I played an iksar monk originally, well after my Freeport human necro.

My question is, can I roll an iksar monk and expect to be able to solo reasonably well? Will I be welcomed to higher level raids and whatnot?

Thank you kindly for any responses. I am hoping I can recall that loving feeling. I plan to give EQ Next a shot when that comes out, as the team consists of some awesome original devs.

Davardo
06-23-2013, 03:35 PM
Don't count on raiding ever, unless you poopsock.

You can solo as an iksar monk. I do it all the time.

People here are generally greedy and only out for themselves. The occasional nice people will be there. But not as frequent as ForumQuesters would have you believe.

Norathorr
06-23-2013, 03:42 PM
The community seems to be pretty nice to new players. I started not too long ago and am now a lv27 shaman along with my friend who is a monk. We had a few handouts to start with from generous higher players who took pity on us and have done a bit of wheeler dealing in the tunnel. Groups seem ok to find and if not its pretty easy to make them. From the sounds of it the very top end of the raid scene is a bit of a mess with poopsocking and batphones. I think there are more casual guilds who do plane raids and suchlike (discounting the more desirable bosses who are ganked pretty fast).

I think this server represents one of the more competitive servers in classic, where high end raiding was not done by everyone and unless you were in one of the most elite guilds you would not see the very best gear. With Kunark being out for so long the end game seems to be a bit of a stalemate, but one velious is out it should give a bit more options for the less hardcore raiders to have some things to do.

It is a lot more fun than live anyhow which became very insular due to guildhalls and instances. I really did not know anyone outside my own guild. This server has a good feel to it as the community has its heroes and villains and its a nice open environment to group and meet different players on a daily basis.

I guess its up to you to decide what you think of it, but i would say its definitely worth give it a go. Having played live for 11 years this server has certainly renewed my enjoyment of eq.

Tombur

Hailto
06-23-2013, 03:49 PM
People here are generally greedy and only out for themselves. The occasional nice people will be there. But not as frequent as ForumQuesters would have you believe.

This is really not true at all, the majority of people on this server are friendly and helpful. As in real life the majority of people are friendly, being a douchebag is not the norm. Keep in mind this guy has apparently not leveled past mid 20s so take his advice for what you will.

liveitup1216
06-23-2013, 04:21 PM
Every community has toxic players but people are generallu normal here. Just always remember its just a game and RNF is just mostly ribbing out of boredom. We're all here for the same thing, to enjoy old EQ so don't forget it.

gotrocks
06-23-2013, 06:15 PM
This is really not true at all, the majority of people on this server are friendly and helpful. As in real life the majority of people are friendly, being a douchebag is not the norm. Keep in mind this guy has apparently not leveled past mid 20s so take his advice for what you will.

qft

lots of good people here

Splorf22
06-23-2013, 06:28 PM
There is a huge overcrowding at 55+ as Kunark has been out for 2.5 years (we currently have *10* semicasual/hardcore raid guilds most of which could take down Trakanon if all the other guilds were wiped from the server) which leads to fierce "competition" err poopsocking for any of the 3-7 day spawns.

I think most of the people here are basically decent, but its just natural human behaviour to fight over scarce resources and the raid spawns here are pretty scarce.

JurisDictum
06-24-2013, 03:25 AM
Most people are pretty nice up until the top of the raid scene. Even then a lot of them are still polite, they just aren't going to let you kill any mobs they can kill instead.
Character progress on this server is really for everyone all the way up until: Gods, Trak, VS, and VP. Obviously this content will probably open up for people once Velious is released, but it may take a long time before the less hardcore player population will be able to tackle top Velious targets (years and years).
As the server stands right now, you could get a full planar geared monk with an epic. A pretty formidable character. Once you're done with that you can make various alts with similar gear attainment. Some classes however, are particularly hard to get epics on for the non hardcore player base. Examples include: bards, warriors, rangers and druids.
If you have a good amount of free-time. You could always join the top guild and experience all the content; assuming you put in the time and aren't completely horrible person to interact with.
That being said. I warn you that Monks are extremely overplayed. A distant second would be shaman. Monks also can have issues carrying vendor loot for sale early on; and Iksar are hated by all the cities around a lot of the hotzones pre-50. Also worth noting is Iksar have a 20% exp penalty and monks have an additional 20% exp penalty.
If you really want to play a monk go for it. Just thought I'd warn you.

thufir
06-24-2013, 04:21 AM
Thirding the lots-of-good-people statement. Grallos the level 20 SK here, just arrived to the server a few weeks ago, and nearly everyone I have met has been friendly and helpful. I find good groups in dungeons across Norrath and I even got some random gear in my single-digit levels from much higher level people who took pity on my untwinked self. Overall my experience has been nothing but positive.

Davardo
06-24-2013, 05:13 AM

Been around since the server started. I never get passed the 20s because the awful community always makes me go play something else. I come back to see if it changed every so often, and it never does. The forum always has had people saying that this server has a good community, when in fact it does not.

You might think that I am the odd man out because I am the asshole so no one helps me, but this isn't so. I give away items that are worth less than 100p, go out of my way to buff others, and try to promote a good community.

It's just a matter of people lying through their teeth to add new blood to the server.

Kagatob
06-24-2013, 05:38 AM
Been around since the server started. I never get passed the 20s because...

I bet you're the kind of person who shuts off a movie or walks out of a theater if the first 20 minutes aren't perfect for your specific tastes.

What Hailto said to a T.

HallygukRZ
06-24-2013, 05:40 AM
Give it a try. Can only recommend it - got back myself in March after a long break for SWTOR and GW2. Play whatever you like, look for any <Europa> player if you need some help.

PS: I don't judge other people's opinion normally, but I think in this case I will have to. @Davardo: Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I whole-heartedly disagree with your statements. I know many people who really enjoy all aspects of P99.

Tappin
06-24-2013, 06:20 AM
Been around since the server started. I never get passed the 20s because the awful community always makes me go play something else. I come back to see if it changed every so often, and it never does. The forum always has had people saying that this server has a good community, when in fact it does not.

You might think that I am the odd man out because I am the asshole so no one helps me, but this isn't so. I give away items that are worth less than 100p, go out of my way to buff others, and try to promote a good community.

It's just a matter of people lying through their teeth to add new blood to the server.

You blame the community for you not being able to make it out of the 20s? If you not being able to make it out of the 20s is what makes the community suck here, then there should be no worries for the OP. I've never heard anyone in any mmo EVER say that the reason they can't level is because the community forces them to reroll.

I've been on and off since 2010 and have had only one sour experience on the server, that I felt was intentionally bad. There is the occasional level 60 raid geared player who will tip like 3pp for you to pick them up in the middle of no where, and you will maybe get trained from time to time... but thats to be expected.

LiQuid
06-24-2013, 06:33 AM

Are you looking for offers of free powerleveling? I don't get what the issue is. It's not hard to find groups in your 20s...

Widan
06-24-2013, 06:55 AM
The highend community is pretty horrid, if you want to raid I would suggest playing on eqmac, if not this server should be good enough.

CleverName
06-24-2013, 08:23 AM
Thank you all for your responses.

It is a bummer that monks are overplayed. Might there be suggestions for other classes that are needed, can solo relatively well on odd times and have a chance, albeit slim, of getting their epic? I do not mind playing any role, I have fun from healing to tanking to pew pew.

I think once I obtain a copy of titanium somehow today, I will install the game and try to get up and running.

heartbrand
06-24-2013, 08:26 AM
The highend community is pretty horrid, if you want to raid I would suggest playing on eqmac, if not this server should be good enough.

Plenty of raiding available on red99

t0lkien
06-24-2013, 08:42 AM
Plenty of raiding available on red99

You guys are like Encyclopedia Britannica salesmen.

Lyra
06-24-2013, 11:52 AM
I obtain a copy of titanium

This lovely server requires EQ:Titanium Edition (http://www.amazon.com/Everquest-Titanium-Pc/dp/B000CPSHFS). You should look around for it.

Unequivocally, This Online Remerged Rendition of Everquest, Necessitates The
Installation of Simply the
Best Edition, Specifically, Titanium

Yaaarr.... I live to dress as a PIRATE in order to keep the evil spirits at BAY. I also enjoy eatting ORGanic applesauce for lunch.

If you SEARCH FOR EVERQUEST TITANIUM long enough you will find it.

Playing classic Everquest
is
really
amazing, however
there is definately some setup involved.
eventually, though, you'll
be running
around antonica
yelling "That's my mob! Ihad the first
dot
on it! and
raging about killsteals and
ganking.

http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2007/05_02/pirateDM2505_468x456.jpg
http://i1.trekearth.com/photos/1267/hanauma_bay_800.jpg
http://www.webchick.org/images/dot.org.jpg
http://www.veryicon.com/icon/png/System/Vista%20Elements/Search%20Magnifier.png
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/d2/EverQuest_Coverart.png
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/db/Titan-crystal_bar.JPG/240px-Titan-crystal_bar.JPG

xCry0x
06-24-2013, 12:20 PM

It is a bummer that monks are overplayed. Might there be suggestions for other classes that are needed, can solo relatively well on odd times and have a chance, albeit slim, of getting their epic? I do not mind playing any role, I have fun from healing to tanking to pew pew.

I think once I obtain a copy of titanium somehow today, I will install the game and try to get up and running.

Just as in live the main classes are Warrior, Cleric, Enchanter, Shaman, Monk, Rogue, (bard) with Pal, Sk, Ranger, Wiz, Mage all to some extent falling outside the 'ideal' group comp (not to say they are not needed!) and then tons of necro/druids running around soloing.

That said, there may be a lot of monks and rogues but guilds also need monks and rogues as they are 2 of the primary dps classes. They also benefit from being able to actually complete their epics without forking out 350k+ to buy dragon loot making it easier to reach your DPS potential.

We have a running joke in our guild that within a week of getting a monk their epic you never see them online again unless you are raiding fear. One day we will have 5 monks show up for a raid, the next day we have 1. I would rather have 5 monks than 1 any day of the week because it is not like extra monks do not add value. Classes like shaman on the other hand you only really need a few, having 1 is needed, 2 makes it easier to buff, 5 means 2 are buffing while 3 are afk.

Tecmos Deception
06-24-2013, 12:36 PM
Don't count on raiding ever, unless you poopsock.

Nonsense. There are different kinds of raiding, and 99.99% of raiding on p99 takes place with no poopsocking (i.e. sitting on a spawn point with a whole raid waiting for the mob to pop).

Most players who "raid" do the planes (hate, fear, sky) or stuff like chardok royals or epic mobs that tend to be 1-groupable. One guild accounts for the vast majority of the god/dragon kills (trakanon, venril sathir, veeshan's peak, etc.).

Davardo
06-24-2013, 01:11 PM
You blame the community for you not being able to make it out of the 20s? If you not being able to make it out of the 20s is what makes the community suck here, then there should be no worries for the OP. I've never heard anyone in any mmo EVER say that the reason they can't level is because the community forces them to reroll.

I've been on and off since 2010 and have had only one sour experience on the server, that I felt was intentionally bad. There is the occasional level 60 raid geared player who will tip like 3pp for you to pick them up in the middle of no where, and you will maybe get trained from time to time... but thats to be expected.

I level just fine, my problem is I always run into someone that decided to be a dick. Like Bards swarm kiting the zone I'm soloing in.

t0lkien
06-24-2013, 01:20 PM
I level just fine, my problem is I always run into someone that decided to be a dick. Like Bards swarm kiting the zone I'm soloing in.

In before "not swarm kiting, AoE".

Splorf22
06-24-2013, 01:34 PM

What is your algorithm anyway?

1. Level new char to 20
2. Go to south karana
3. OMG BARD. FUCK THIS SERVER
4. See step 1?

t0lkien
06-24-2013, 01:35 PM

1. Level new char to 20
2. Go to south karana
4. See step 1?

In which case, stay well away from OT. You'll pop a head valve.

Lyra
06-24-2013, 01:38 PM
In which case, stay well away from OT. You'll pop a head valve.

I solo'd my druid from 30 to 50 in Overthere, during prime time. I don't understand the complaints.

Overthere, and only Overthere. The entire 20 levels.

Dirtnap
06-24-2013, 01:40 PM
This server is not all sunshine and rainbows like people say on the forums. I'm in the same boat as Davardo, you can only watch so much hypocrisy before you walk away.

Make sure when you start on this server you either are ready for a lot of soloing, or pick a class that is part of the perfect group. WAR CLR ROG MNK ENC SHM

Numerous times I have been leapfrogged on group waiting lists by these classes on my Bard and Ranger. If you believe ForumQuesters this is rare occurence, but it happens all the time. ForumQuesters are a small fraction of the community, and they apparently only communicate with other ForumQuesters.

EDIT: All hybrids should never be played (PAL SK BRD and RNG) because the penalty will exclude you from 60-70% of groups.

Davardo
06-24-2013, 01:43 PM

1. Level new char to 20
2. Go to south karana
4. See step 1?

That was one example, but take it as the whole problem if you want. But everyone is proving my point, in my first post I said that ForumQuesters are going to exaggerate, and you have.

Splorf22
06-24-2013, 01:55 PM
in my first post I said that ForumQuesters are going to exaggerate, and you have.

So your other algorithm is:

1. This server is full of assholes
2. You disagree with me eh?
3. YOU ASSHOLE

I mean come on man, sure I'm tweaking you a little bit but you are coming off as super sensitive here

Atmas
06-24-2013, 01:58 PM
I would say that people here typically friendly. There are some jerks, but there are jerks in every game you play online.

The raid scene is very competitive that's definitely true. But as far as the guy complaining he can't make it past his 20s I don't think his experience is typical. If it was you wouldn't have any raid complaints.

Also play the class you enjoy. Some people make a big deal about hybrid penalties. Most do not. I haven't had major issues grouping with my Paladin. Sure sometimes I won't get a group when someone is looking for DPS but I think that get balanced out by people looking for tanks.

Davardo
So your other algorithm is:

1. This server is full of assholes
2. You disagree with me eh?
3. YOU ASSHOLE

I mean come on man, sure I'm tweaking you a little bit but you are coming off as super sensitive here

This is just you putting your emotions into my text. I gave up caring that much about this server about 2 years ago. The idea brings me back but reality always drives me away.

Vexenu
If you're consistently having negative experiences on this server, you need to recognize the fact that YOU are the common link involved in all of them. More likely than not you are simply coming across as unpleasant in your interactions with other players, which causes them to be unpleasant in return.

Honestly, if you can't get along with the vast majority of people you encounter in this game, you have abysmal social skills. Be friendly and helpful, and most people will be so in return. Some won't, but that's life.

fadetree
06-24-2013, 02:00 PM
The server is fine. No more assholes than I remember from live. Lots of nice people. If you are an oversensitive whiny sort that magnifies all difficulties into some kind of rage-quit scenario, you are probably not going to like it.

I played a ranger to 52 and parked him til Velious. Grouping was ok, better than I expected actually. I'd played a ranger from jun 99 until late GoD on live, though, so I knew what to expect. But yeah, if you like grouping you'll be better off with a more group friendly class.

Davardo
06-24-2013, 02:00 PM
If you're consistently having negative experiences on this server, you need to recognize the fact that YOU are the common link involved in all of them. More likely than not you are simply coming across as unpleasant in your interactions with other players, which causes them to be unpleasant in return.

Honestly, if you can't get along with the vast majority of people you encounter in this game, you have abysmal social skills. Be friendly and helpful, and most people will be so in return. Some won't, but that's life.

I am friendly and helpful, ForumQuesters just seem to think everyone has rainbows coming out of their asses and are always on the lookout to help others. Far from the truth.

EDIT: Blue and Red are exact opposites. Everyone spouts Blue as friendly when they are cocksuckers. Red is spouted as basement dwelling trolls when they are actually pretty nice.

And I like that everyone keeps saying how I am stuck in my 20s, not so, I just can't stand the ignorance here long enough to get past the 20s.

Dirtnap
06-24-2013, 02:06 PM
Apparently, you are not a part of the community until you are mid 30s. If anything turns you away from this server before you hit level cap, its because you couldn't handle it. You are weak, and don't deserve to play here.

Does that sound like a good community to you? That is what I am hearing from the "Good Community" in this thread alone.

If you don't just bandwagon with the ForumQuesters and just keep repeating the same opinion, you apparently aren't welcome here either.

Vexenu
06-24-2013, 02:09 PM
You both strike me as having some kind of persecution complex. That's not the server's problem: it's yours.

Honestly, ask yourself, which is more likely: the entire rest of the server is composed of assholes (over a thousand of them), or there is something wrong with my perspective/attitude?

Halius
06-24-2013, 02:10 PM
I have only been on the server for about 3 weeks now, I don't play often as I have family obligations, work, and school. That being said however, I only have a level 6 mage and I have already been helped out multiple times.

Example 1: I was given a port for free by a druid (Hobiewan) so I could get to Freeport from Qeynos, he then followed me to get my corpse and bind me in Freeport for free, also gave me a werewolf pelt to sell to help with cash for spells and gear. Thanks again!

Example 2: I was soloing in EC and a random cleric (Halmir I think) gave me and my pet some uber buffs and I blazed through level 5 killing yellow/red mobs. Thanks!

Example 3: I got enough money to buy my first stat items (a couple +2 int rings) and was given a bonus +10 hp +10 mana bracelet for being a new player. Can't remember the traders name off the top of my head but Thank you!

Everyone generally seems to be nice if you don't harass people and are kind in return. Granted I have a long way to go before the raid scene as I don't play much but I'm sure it will be competitive. No different than EQ when I first played so it doesn't bother me, there is always competition even for group spots, thats why EQ is great, doesn't make it bad game. And FYI there are always douchebags in any game and in RL so just deal with it.

Davardo
06-24-2013, 02:19 PM
You both strike me as having some kind of persecution complex. That's not the server's problem: it's yours.

Honestly, ask yourself, which is more likely: the entire rest of the server is composed of assholes (over a thousand of them), or there is something wrong with my perspective/attitude?

I'm not saying there are only negative people on this server, I'm saying there aren't as many positive people as ForumQuest thinks there are.

People generally voice a kindness as bigger than it was.

CleverName
06-24-2013, 02:20 PM
I have been browsing the forums and looking at the charts of population and have narrowed my choices down to either a human ranger or a half elf druid. My play time is pretty erratic, mostly EST, 9pm-11pm throughout the week and then Saturday 9am-5pm, then 10pm-2am. Basically once the fiance falls asleep. Based upon those factors, I wanted a class that could solo well, but be welcome in a group, and maybe a PUG raid on occasion. I will install the game tonight hopefully, and get set up to start playing.

Thoughts on the + and - on either class would be much obliged.

SirSmithington
06-24-2013, 02:22 PM
I have been playing for about a month on my cleric and have found people to be mostly helpful and friendly. This is a contrast with other games with queing systems where nobody ever talks and it feels like your are really just soloing even while grouped. Also, remember to be friendly back, as you are likely to see the same people again!

ripwind
06-24-2013, 02:33 PM
Thirding the lots-of-good-people statement. Grallos the level 20 SK here, just arrived to the server a few weeks ago, and nearly everyone I have met has been friendly and helpful. I find good groups in dungeons across Norrath and I even got some random gear in my single-digit levels from much higher level people who took pity on my untwinked self. Overall my experience has been nothing but positive.

Agreed. Actually grouped with Grallos last night in Upper Guk. Had a great time! We even had a full, well-balanced group for the majority of the night.

I think this server is pretty great. It's all about the people you surround yourself with I suppose. There are no more jerks here than there were on live. Probably even less.

Hex
06-24-2013, 02:39 PM
This server is not all sunshine and rainbows like people say on the forums. I'm in the same boat as Davardo, you can only watch so much hypocrisy before you walk away.

Make sure when you start on this server you either are ready for a lot of soloing, or pick a class that is part of the perfect group. WAR CLR ROG MNK ENC SHM

Numerous times I have been leapfrogged on group waiting lists by these classes on my Bard and Ranger. If you believe ForumQuesters this is rare occurence, but it happens all the time. ForumQuesters are a small fraction of the community, and they apparently only communicate with other ForumQuesters.

EDIT: All hybrids should never be played (PAL SK BRD and RNG) because the penalty will exclude you from 60-70% of groups.

Another person complaining that hasn't made it out of their 20s......

Tecmos Deception
06-24-2013, 02:42 PM
I have been browsing the forums and looking at the charts of population and have narrowed my choices down to either a human ranger or a half elf druid. My play time is pretty erratic, mostly EST, 9pm-11pm throughout the week and then Saturday 9am-5pm, then 10pm-2am. Basically once the fiance falls asleep. Based upon those factors, I wanted a class that could solo well, but be welcome in a group, and maybe a PUG raid on occasion. I will install the game tonight hopefully, and get set up to start playing.

Thoughts on the + and - on either class would be much obliged.

Druid is a solid first character on p99 because of their great solo xp potential, mobility, ability to make some pp by selling said mobility, track, etc. They aren't highly sought after for groups or raids, but if you make friends then they won't care what class you are, just that you're a friend, and you can fit in just about anywhere.

Davardo
06-24-2013, 02:44 PM
Another person complaining that hasn't made it out of their 20s......

How many hours does it take to get to 20? It is impossible to run into another player in that many hours.

Apparently my experiences are all made up and I'm just a crazy homeless man on a street corner. In reality, I see the server for what it is. I don't idealize it into a fantasy land like the rest of you in this thread seem to do.

Hex
06-24-2013, 02:45 PM
I'm not saying there are only negative people on this server, I'm saying there aren't as many positive people as ForumQuest thinks there are.

People generally voice a kindness as bigger than it was.

I'd be willing to bet everything that this is 100% your problem, not anyone else's. After just reading through this entire post, you are the only one being negative. Sure there are a couple complaining about TMO sitting on spawns, but hey, with the way this game works, and the way that raiding here is, that's going to happen. It takes a lot of work to become number 1, why not do the work to stay there?

Anyways, it seems you feel like everyone should be shooting rainbows in your direction, showering you with gifts, and PL sessions. I just finished going through my 20s, and I met one single bad person, and MANY awesome, fun people. Something leads me to believe that however you're treated, or these ideas you build, are something that you 100% bring upon yourself.

With all that being said, this server is fun, and the people here are friendly. Who cares if a guild has something on lock, if you can't beat them, join them? No one goes into a game with raiding, wanting to raid, and joins some casual guild, in hopes to be the best do they? You want to raid, and have shit handed to you on a silver plater, I'd vote you go play WoW, and do their little Looking For Raid tool.

Hex
06-24-2013, 02:47 PM
How many hours does it take to get to 20? It is impossible to run into another player in that many hours.

Apparently my experiences are all made up and I'm just a crazy homeless man on a street corner. In reality, I see the server for what it is. I don't idealize it into a fantasy land like the rest of you in this thread seem to do.

You're correct, your idealizations are on a completely different scale, and a completely different subject. Ever heard of Unrest or MM, plenty of people to run into in your 20s. And funny, because I developed some good friendships with about 6 players that I can name off my head, that I'm sure we will group again in a later dungeon, and continue to have a stellar time.

With your ideas and thought process, I'm surprised you're not a crazy homeless man on the street corner.

RevengeofGio
06-24-2013, 02:48 PM
Are you looking for offers of free powerleveling? I don't get what the issue is. It's not hard to find groups in your 20s...

My necromancer gets harassed to join groups...

Fricken harassed...

RevengeofGio
06-24-2013, 02:51 PM
I'd be willing to bet everything that this is 100% your problem, not anyone else's. After just reading through this entire post, you are the only one being negative. Sure there are a couple complaining about TMO sitting on spawns, but hey, with the way this game works, and the way that raiding here is, that's going to happen. It takes a lot of work to become number 1, why not do the work to stay there?

Anyways, it seems you feel like everyone should be shooting rainbows in your direction, showering you with gifts, and PL sessions. I just finished going through my 20s, and I met one single bad person, and MANY awesome, fun people. Something leads me to believe that however you're treated, or these ideas you build, are something that you 100% bring upon yourself.

With all that being said, this server is fun, and the people here are friendly. Who cares if a guild has something on lock, if you can't beat them, join them? No one goes into a game with raiding, wanting to raid, and joins some casual guild, in hopes to be the best do they? You want to raid, and have shit handed to you on a silver plater, I'd vote you go play WoW, and do their little Looking For Raid tool.

You're also a cleric keep in mind ;)

Pretty sure even normal jerks put on their nice hats around you. The one guy you ran into is likely the dude on roids irl.

xCry0x
06-24-2013, 02:55 PM
I have only been on the server for about 3 weeks now, I don't play often as I have family obligations, work, and school. That being said however, I only have a level 6 mage and I have already been helped out multiple times.

Example 1: I was given a port for free by a druid (Hobiewan) so I could get to Freeport from Qeynos, he then followed me to get my corpse and bind me in Freeport for free, also gave me a werewolf pelt to sell to help with cash for spells and gear. Thanks again!

Example 2: I was soloing in EC and a random cleric (Halmir I think) gave me and my pet some uber buffs and I blazed through level 5 killing yellow/red mobs. Thanks!

Example 3: I got enough money to buy my first stat items (a couple +2 int rings) and was given a bonus +10 hp +10 mana bracelet for being a new player. Can't remember the traders name off the top of my head but Thank you!

Everyone generally seems to be nice if you don't harass people and are kind in return. Granted I have a long way to go before the raid scene as I don't play much but I'm sure it will be competitive. No different than EQ when I first played so it doesn't bother me, there is always competition even for group spots, thats why EQ is great, doesn't make it bad game. And FYI there are always douchebags in any game and in RL so just deal with it.

I am awesome.

Anyways, this was really similar to how my experience was when I started and I know I try to keep the trend going as much as I can. I also know I am very far from alone in this.

Lyra
06-24-2013, 02:56 PM

My main is a cleric. I start groups. The very first thing I do? /who shadow 40 50

Some people will complain if we have two hybrids, of which one probably has a race penalty...but I don't care! I can replace that complainer quite easily.

I like to ding, but I'm playing the game the entire time. I don't consider it a chore to level.

I enjoy the time I spend in groups, and meeting the people that share my love of the game. I love hearing about different parts of the world, different parts of the country, different jobs people work and just different personalities.

I enjoy learning different tactics. I enjoy having close calls.

I may have made it clear here, or in other posts...but one thing I don't enjoy is complaining. :)

Halius
06-24-2013, 03:03 PM
I am awesome.

Lol yes and thanks for the buffs.

Hex
06-24-2013, 03:06 PM
My main is a cleric. I start groups. The very first thing I do? /who shadow 40 50

Some people will complain if we have two hybrids, of which one probably has a race penalty...but I don't care! I can replace that complainer quite easily.

I like to ding, but I'm playing the game the entire time. I don't consider it a chore to level.

I enjoy the time I spend in groups, and meeting the people that share my love of the game. I love hearing about different parts of the world, different parts of the country, different jobs people work and just different personalities.

I may have made it clear here, or in other posts...but one thing I don't enjoy is complaining. :)

This is awesome. Yes, I get that I'm a CLR, and finding groups is easier for me, and people might be nicer, for when they need that rez. But the community here as a whole is fine. There's contention for raiding at the higher level, that is dominated by the guild that put in the most effort, time, and work, but leveling up, so far, has been quite fun. I shall be streaming my leveling process from here on out I think. If I could only find a way to overlay my chat from Twitch onto one window!

Splorf22
06-24-2013, 04:05 PM
My necromancer never gets groups :(

CleverName
06-24-2013, 04:08 PM
I am for sure going with a druid now. Would I be terrible to roll a half elf druid?

Anything I need to know after install the game? Any must dos? I have read the stickies and guides and have a pretty good idea, but things i missed are like a guide of where to level and whatnot. It has been a long, long time since I had my hands on this game. Like 2 months after Velious dropped.

Thank you all for your opinions.

Funkutron5000
06-24-2013, 04:15 PM

You should also make sure to look for paladins in that level range. We're pretty boss tanks for xp groups!

Lyra
06-24-2013, 04:18 PM
You should also make sure to look for paladins in that level range. We're pretty boss tanks for xp groups!

My regular tank is a twinked paladin (he doesn't play weeknights)

I should have said my second is /who paladin 40 50

xCry0x
06-24-2013, 04:28 PM
I am for sure going with a druid now. Would I be terrible to roll a half elf druid?

Anything I need to know after install the game? Any must dos? I have read the stickies and guides and have a pretty good idea, but things i missed are like a guide of where to level and whatnot. It has been a long, long time since I had my hands on this game. Like 2 months after Velious dropped.

The wiki will have useful information about where to put starting points.

Don't know much about druids outside of that they need wis.. it is generally easy to get + wis gear so I owuldn't worry too much about the race.

Dirtnap
06-24-2013, 04:47 PM

This mindset is what people say they have (Not saying you don't think this way.) but the number of people who actually follow this mindset are few and far between.

A lot of the grand acts of kindness people praise on the forums are just common courtesies in my eyes. When you run by a lowbie, buff them. When someone needs a port, port them out of kindness, and not to pad your wallet. If you have a piece of gear not worth much PP, give it away. Someone in zone tossing you a rez. This makes a good community, and these acts of kindness can be hard to come by on this server.

Being an amazingly good person and giving away expensive items should be praised. If someone hands out free 10k+pp gear, praise that guy for his huge generosity. If someone runs across the world to rez you for free, praise that guy for his huge generosity.

Fact of the matter is, there are only a fraction of players on this server who do the most basic of these things.

I feel that "I'm busy." when someone needs a port, or asks for buffs is being an ass. It inconveniences you slightly, and helps them immensely. All you have to do is take an extra minute to med, and you saved that person a lot of time leveling or traveling.

EDIT: So don't you say its my way of thinking/acting that is why I don't view the community as sunshine and rainbows. Few people live up to my expectations of how we should treat each other, and how we should go out of our way to help people.

EDIT2: How often do each of you run around EC buffing levelers while you are trying to sell your items? How often do each of you pass through a lowbie zone, and hunt down people to buff? How often do each of you pass a brand new naked player a few plat to get started on the server?

I do these things every time I log in. I will literally give away my last pp to someone who will use it after I quit for the 100th time. The idea of Classic EQ draws me back again and again, but I come back to this "good" community and I quit again.

t0lkien
06-24-2013, 06:03 PM
Games communities are by their nature volatile and nasty. I have wondered at this phenomenon for years. People are incredibly unkind, selfish, and abusive over the keyboard when anonymity is there to hide behind. Someone needs to do a thesis on it - there's a doctorate there. It's very revealing of human nature.

However, nice people are nice wherever you meet them - online or off. I'm currently in gear almost completely given me by other Bards in my guild (and I'm still in the probationary period). I didn't procure any of it, it was offered. I've had someone pay for my port to get my corpse in LOIO from EC - I'd never met them and can't remember their name unfortunately. I've had someone just gift me 150pp because I was a hard working newbie. There are amazingly nice people here.

I've also met *1* abusive, angry fool, and have read about the nasty silliness at the top end. However, at level 30, I can say that my experience has been overwhelmingly positive, if a little sparse. Many people are here because they loved original EQ and so are a little older, more mature, and "old school" in their approach. It's been a pleasure to rub shoulders with them, honestly.

All that to say, I think if you look for the decent folk and hook up with them via a guild, your game experience will change.

Splorf22
06-24-2013, 06:47 PM
I feel that "I'm busy." when someone needs a port, or asks for buffs is being an ass. It inconveniences you slightly, and helps them immensely. All you have to do is take an extra minute to med, and you saved that person a lot of time leveling or traveling.

Well now everything makes sense.

Dirtnap
06-24-2013, 08:01 PM
Well now everything makes sense.

At least those people say they are busy, more often then not you just get flat out ignored.

LiQuid
06-24-2013, 10:19 PM
At least those people say they are busy, more often then not you just get flat out ignored.

You claim that buffing anyone who asks only inconveniences us "slightly" but multiply that by the sheer number of people begging for buffs and sitting in the tunnel can turn into more work than buffing a raid force. Try having a higher level character with desirable buffs and spending any amount of time in the tunnel or any newbie zone and see how long before the amount of buff begging that happens overwhelms you. A full set of my buffs can take about half of my mana bar. Having to mem up to 5-7 different spells as well as canni/med up that lost mana, multiplied by up to a half dozen different people (as a CONSERVATIVE estimate) means that what you consider "common courtesies" adds up to a substantial amount of time spent. If being too busy to buff you on demand makes me an ass then I guess add me to the list, but I try to go out of my way to tali/regen people that I pass who are actually out there fighting and not just begging for easy mode. Your standard for kindness is for everyone who is more capable than you setting aside their time to be Mother Theresa and donating their time to the needy and I think that stinks.

Also wanted to comment on this:

So the cleric left and we have no heals but we should invite the ranger because he's "next on the list?" This is not how groups should work. Ever. You sound like you have some serious entitlement issues or at the very least a very toxic attitude and I don't think any group is missing out by passing you over, regardless of what class you're playing.

Dirtnap
06-24-2013, 10:25 PM
You claim that buffing anyone who asks only inconveniences us "slightly" but multiply that by the sheer number of people begging for buffs and sitting in the tunnel can turn into more work than buffing a raid force. Try having a higher level character with desirable buffs and spending any amount of time in the tunnel or any newbie zone and see how long before the amount of buff begging that happens overwhelms you. A full set of my buffs can take about half of my mana bar. Having to mem up to 5-7 different spells as well as canni/med up that lost mana, multiplied by up to a half dozen different people (as a CONSERVATIVE estimate) means that what you consider "common courtesies" adds up to a substantial amount of time spent. If being too busy to buff you on demand makes me an ass then I guess add me to the list, but I try to go out of my way to tali/regen people that I pass who are actually out there fighting and not just begging for easy mode. Your standard for kindness is for everyone who is more capable than you setting aside their time to be Mother Theresa and donating their time to the needy and I think that stinks.

Also wanted to comment on this:

So the cleric left and we have no heals but we should invite the ranger because he's "next on the list?" This is not how groups should work. Ever. You sound like you have some serious entitlement issues or at the very least a very toxic attitude and I don't think any group is missing out by passing you over, regardless of what class you're playing.

I never said you had to raid buff anyone. Regen or HP buffs are plenty, and that shouldn't be an issue mana wise. If you are chilling in the EC tunnel selling stuff, you could easily med back that mana within minutes. The least you can do is SoW people, as that can be the most life saving buff.

What kind of idiot are you? If the cleric leaves, of course my ranger isn't going to replace him. But if they dropped a DPS? I should have that spot because I waited patiently for it.

EDIT:

If waiting patiently for an hour, just to be skipped over for another DPS class that has been waiting 15 minutes makes me entitled. Then yeah, I'm entitled. Would you not be pissed off after something like that?

EDIT2: My "toxic attitude" is only on the forums. When I'm logged in I'm busy buffing people, leveling, or trying to do helpful things.

Pringles
06-24-2013, 10:28 PM
This is just you putting your emotions into my text. I gave up caring that much about this server about 2 years ago. The idea brings me back but reality always drives me away.

The fact you are still here crying about why this server is so terrible says otherwise.

Dirtnap
06-24-2013, 10:33 PM
Why does it have to be anyone who has any criticism of this server is instantly wrong? Why does the forum have to try and keep up this false image of sunshine and rainbows?

Be honest about how often you do good things. Be honest about how often someone does nice things for you. Don't jump into these threads implying every day someone is going to go out of their way to do something nice for you. You will get an honest act of kindness once or twice a week. (From strangers, of course guildmates/friends will be more helpful more often.)

EDIT: I'm not trying to attack the server, I'm just calling people out on the false image they try to portray. Live in reality, not the made up fantasy the forum tries to create.

Lojik
06-24-2013, 11:06 PM
I would say a majority of people on the server are nice. There are a decent number that either are only paying partial attention to the game or don't particularly care about being a social butterfly, which is fine I think. I have run into very few people who seem mean-spirited.

LiQuid
06-24-2013, 11:08 PM
If waiting patiently for an hour, just to be skipped over for another DPS class that has been waiting 15 minutes makes me entitled. Then yeah, I'm entitled. Would you not be pissed off after something like that?
I would never wait patiently for an hour to get a group spot. This isn't the right way to play IMO. Form your own group. Make a friend or two that shares your playtime do regular groups. Join a leveling guild with lots of active members. Instead of sitting around waiting for someone to make the game more fun for you, make it more fun for yourself.

Is it so hard to believe that sometimes groups just don't want a ranger or bard? There doesn't have to be some ulterior motive behind it but waiting in a line shouldn't ever entitle you to a spot in the group if you're playing a class that isn't wanted. Maybe the have a druid already and don't need snares?

I'm not sure what grand myth of the server you're trying to dispel here but all of your complaints are of your own design or due to your own shortcomings. Is it going to be harder to find groups as a "less essential class?" Of course. Does that make the server not as nice as the forum makes it out to be? Absolutely not. If you want a sow, play a class that can cast sow or buy some potions. If you want a group, play a class that is desirable to the widest array of group configurations or make your own.

Lojik
06-24-2013, 11:14 PM

Somewhat ironic that you lean towards playing a druid because monks are overplayed, as druid is always highest in the /who all count whenever I check. I think most played class goes like Druid>Monk>Shaman...after that I forget. Probably something like Necro>Cler>Enc>Mage, with Wiz>Rang>Pal at the bottom, although lately I've seen more wizards on.

Dirtnap
06-24-2013, 11:46 PM
I would never wait patiently for an hour to get a group spot. This isn't the right way to play IMO. Form your own group. Make a friend or two that shares your playtime do regular groups. Join a leveling guild with lots of active members. Instead of sitting around waiting for someone to make the game more fun for you, make it more fun for yourself.

Is it so hard to believe that sometimes groups just don't want a ranger or bard? There doesn't have to be some ulterior motive behind it but waiting in a line shouldn't ever entitle you to a spot in the group if you're playing a class that isn't wanted. Maybe the have a druid already and don't need snares?

I'm not sure what grand myth of the server you're trying to dispel here but all of your complaints are of your own design or due to your own shortcomings. Is it going to be harder to find groups as a "less essential class?" Of course. Does that make the server not as nice as the forum makes it out to be? Absolutely not. If you want a sow, play a class that can cast sow or buy some potions. If you want a group, play a class that is desirable to the widest array of group configurations or make your own.

You confirmed a couple of the things I have said with this post. Mainly that if you don't play one of the "essential" classes, don't expect to get groups. Also, don't expect anyone to be nice to you if you don't play one of the "essential" classes.

Straight up shunning people because their class isn't "essential" is pretty far from a good community in my opinion.

What happened to inviting people to groups based on how well they play, and not based on if they are twinked or based on their class?

Splorf22
06-24-2013, 11:48 PM
Why does it have to be anyone who has any criticism of this server is instantly wrong? Why does the forum have to try and keep up this false image of sunshine and rainbows?

It's called a strawman. In reality you are bitching that not everyone on the server thinks that you are at the center of universe. Which we are calling you out on.

Dirtnap
06-24-2013, 11:51 PM
It's called a strawman. In reality you are bitching that not everyone on the server thinks that you are at the center of universe. Which we are calling you out on.

I don't think I'm the center of the universe, I just don't see why everyone tries to sugar coat the community to new players. They should know exactly what they are getting into.

EDIT: I just hope that new players will see enough posts to realize that this server is not what is marketed by the majority of the forum. They can hopefully avoid being indoctrinated into believing everyone on the server has your best interest at heart.

You know, maybe thats why so many new players get scammed these days. Sunshine and rainbows don't steal all your platinum.

Splorf22
06-24-2013, 11:54 PM
Honestly I think you are just trolling me (and fairly successfully) at this point. No one is this dumb.

Dirtnap
06-24-2013, 11:57 PM
Apparently I am that dumb. Being on this server since launch has kept me from being blind to what it is. Been playing here off and on for 5 years, and it used to be what is being said now. But it is far from what it once was.

EDIT: Who else remembers the old guildlaunch forum?

http://classicbetatest.guildlaunch.com/index.php?gid=62867

LiQuid
06-25-2013, 12:28 AM
You confirmed a couple of the things I have said with this post. Mainly that if you don't play one of the "essential" classes, don't expect to get groups. Also, don't expect anyone to be nice to you if you don't play one of the "essential" classes.

Straight up shunning people because their class isn't "essential" is pretty far from a good community in my opinion.

What happened to inviting people to groups based on how well they play, and not based on if they are twinked or based on their class?

Bolded all the parts where I laughed reading this.

Show me one post on this forum where someone tells a new player that they will get fawned over and showered with group offers if they roll a ranger. I double dog dare you.

Fact is, you picked a bad class, a class that is predisposed to having the hardest time progressing in this game and now are saying that because people are passing over you they aren't "nice" and that this server isn't living up to some idealized utopia that only you have managed to hear about.

The things you are complaining about have nothing to do with the general demeanor of the playerbase of this server, which despite all your trolling is FAR more amicable than any post-WoW MMO in existence that I've ever played.

Shilver
06-25-2013, 12:28 AM
Honestly, from a new player to EQ1 all together...not really seeing all roses and tulips within this community like it was so highly touted in the "good ole days". Maybe it's because I'm an Iksar SK so my XP penalty is seemily impossible to group with, but man a response like "nty" when I'm leveling in the same zone would be fine with me rather then ignoring me and still fighting mobs. Whatever I'll do trial by fair like a real Iksar SK would have to go through.

Maybe I just don't fit into this hardcore EQ crowd either, but these forums seem hard to get a gauge on too.

LiQuid
06-25-2013, 12:51 AM
Honestly, from a new player to EQ1 all together...not really seeing all roses and tulips within this community like it was so highly touted in the "good ole days". Maybe it's because I'm an Iksar SK so my XP penalty is seemily impossible to group with, but man a response like "nty" when I'm leveling in the same zone would be fine with me rather then ignoring me and still fighting mobs. Whatever I'll do trial by fair like a real Iksar SK would have to go through.

Maybe I just don't fit into this hardcore EQ crowd either, but these forums seem hard to get a gauge on too.

Tanks are one of the more difficult classes to find leveling, that puts you at a considerable advantage right off the bat. You need to prioritize finding a cleric that plays at the same time as you and becoming BFFs with them. From there you can add whoever you want to the group and they have no say over your XP penalty. You run the show. Heck, you can even offer a group spot to poor, groupless Dirtnap. :)

All I'm hearing from a lot of people here is "I can't find groups, therefor this server's community isn't great." and I think that's a load of junk. Just a couple of weeks ago I was a part of a bunch of people from random guilds coming together and helping a more casual/unguilded monk finish a major fight for his epic (http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=111107) all of whom refusing a happily offered payment to do so. That's just one example of stuff like that happening on this server. No matter what your class is, not being able to find a group means YOU aren't doing enough work. I've gotten plenty of groups on my wizard a class that offers almost nothing in the way of functionality to grindy pick up group full of rogue twinks with Ragebringers.

Sure there are going to be some people who complain about XP penalties, and for what it's worth I think they're overly punishing and unfair to some classes that already have identity problems but I personally have NEVER turned someone away from a group because of them. If a class will make my group better I will invite them. That's the way it has been while leveling up all 4 of my characters so far.

Shilver
06-25-2013, 01:04 AM
I never said because I can't find groups that it makes the community not great. Not just smelling the perfume here. Obviously it's my problem because I picked a gimped class to begin with in an area where people are trying to level up as fast as they can.

Just not seeing a tremendous community as advertised...it's a normal MMO community that seems to be based on groups of other hardcore EQ players that know each other/what to do. Not really a place I fit into. Yet.

LiQuid
06-25-2013, 01:37 AM
I just looked you up and no offense but you're only level 4. I'm not sure how you can expect to have any sense of the in-game community or your use to a group at that level. Soloing to about level 10-12 is the norm for almost all classes in this game, especially iksars who have the benefit of having the best newbie zones in the game.

The class you picked isn't the problem. Once you get to a level where it makes any amount of sense to group (like level 12ish in Kurn's) you should do well with yourself and a healer.

I guess I don't have any sense of what you're expecting as opposed to what you've experienced so far. Obviously the server is old and that has made it topheavy. You won't get that "new server smell" of logging in and seeing a newbie zone full of actual brand spanking new players after content has been stagnant for this many years.

Shilver
06-25-2013, 01:45 AM
I've played 3 characters to level 4/5 and deleted them because I didn't like the class/race/starting area. I do gotta admit I had a really cool guy I grouped with when I was a Barbarian Shaman.

I'm drinking and I make stupid posts sometimes. Just ignore me.

Splorf22
06-25-2013, 01:49 AM
Some people have this expectation that they can boot up EQ, log on, type /lfg on, wait 5 minutes, and be whisked away to the xp group of their choice. Unfortunately it does not work that way. You may have to start a group - try /w all lfg 20 30 (or an appropriate variant for your level). Your pickup group may have an unconventional class combination, like a main healing paladin or a tanking bard or a pulling necromancer - to me those are the most fun ones. Obviously if you play a better grouping class you'll get more random tells while LFG, but when I leveled up Loraen there would be times when I would go an hour or two without any tells, and I hear the same thing from clerics. Sometimes you'll have to wait, and sometimes you may just have to do something else.

Obviously the best thing to do is join a guild and/or make some friends. Which is the whole point of the game really. If The A-Team dissolved I might even stop playing simply because I think we have some of the most fun people on the server. Of course you are going to have trouble with this if you spend all your time whining about how DruidX didn't give you buffs and GroupY didn't respect some imaginary list and PlayerZ doesn't like to group with 68% XP penalty hybrids. No one is claiming that P1999 is filled with saints (lord knows the high end is brutal enough) but neither is it filled with thousands of greedy assholes. People like Davardo and Dirtnap have gargantuan entitlement complexes nourished by the 'YOU ARE SPECIAL' culture we have now.

P.S. Rangers are a legitimately mediocre class. But Paladins and Shadowknights are very solid. When I was leveling an Enchanter I preferred them because they were much better at a) breaking mez and b) getting aggro quickly on tough mobs so I could get them tashed and slowed. When I grouped with Warriors (unless they had really nice weapons) I was the real tank :D And Bards are simply fantastic and one of the best and most powerful classes in the game. Bard and Enchanter are the two classes that can singlehandedly make an otherwise mediocre group excellent.

LiQuid
06-25-2013, 02:03 AM
I've played 3 characters to level 4/5 and deleted them because I didn't like the class/race/starting area. I do gotta admit I had a really cool guy I grouped with when I was a Barbarian Shaman.

I'm drinking and I make stupid posts sometimes. Just ignore me.

It's cool man. At least you aren't being provocative like Davardo and Dirtnap. It took me a handful of character rolls before I landed on Plush and fell in love. Once you find that one character that feels right for you, that's when the game gets the most fun. Not to rag on those other two guys, but I feel that suffering from "altoholism" could be further effecting their ability to focus and forge a meaningful connection to the server. Aside from dabbling in a few alts I was pretty much all Plush til I finally hit 60 this year so I was forced to adapt to the way the server population changes in each new level range. If you just keep rolling new characters every time leveling gets "hard" and only experience the first third of the game (and let's face it leveling 1 to 20, while technically 1/3rd of the available levels is more like 10% of the actual 1-60 journey) you're severely limiting your exposure to what this server is all about. Stick with it. If nothing else the journey to 60 with the worst XP penalty currently in the game will harden the hell out of you and it will be that much more rewarding once you get to high level and are one of the VERY few Iksar SK's on the server.

Bard and Enchanter are the two classes that can singlehandedly make an otherwise mediocre group excellent.
It might be bias but I think a shaman can as well, especially at higher levels when they get REALLY gnarly. :)

LiQuid
06-25-2013, 02:12 AM
Also I just wanted to say all the people who rag on those of us in the tunnel that don't drop trau and bend over the instant someone asks us for buffs probably don't know what it's like:

http://i.imgur.com/FUg7iJQ.jpg

Not pictured: the dozens of buff requests in /say that I saw during this time span.

And this has been late on a Monday night.. a SLOW night for the buff beggars. :)

Shilver
06-25-2013, 02:53 AM
True that man, being an Iksar SK is gonna be a huge achievement and it's what gonna keep me going. I'll get in touch with the community once I get going.

Thanks.

Lojik
06-25-2013, 03:49 AM
It might be bias but I think a shaman can as well, especially at higher levels when they get REALLY gnarly
I think the thing with Shaman is that they are usually the best at duoing,as they can duo exceptionally with most classes. I think for a full group though an ENC brings more to the table, as groups usually have a cleric for healing.

P.S. Rangers are a legitimately mediocre class.
This is quite true. They don't solo very well, and their role is usually filled better by other classes in a group setting, plus an exp penalty.

JurisDictum
06-25-2013, 04:12 AM
EQ is not perfectly balanced. Everyone knows this. However, when you consider the whole play experience of each class, they come out a lot closer than some people (particularly newer players) give them credit for. Druids for example, are very convenient class to play; due to their ports, sow, and tracking abilities. They can solo grind extremely efficiently, and can provide healing (they can even main heal until high levels) for groups. Clerics don't do any of this but heal and heal well.
Yes clerics are much more sought after in groups, and basically necessary later on in the game. Nevertheless, people have the habit of focusing in on what they don't have (the ability to single-handedly keep a group healed). A cleric can't go out and quad raptors and solo bear pit. A cleric can't move across the world with extreme ease (they don't even have invis). A cleric needs a group to farm or exp, and has to sit there waiting for a group to send an invite. Or they can form a group just like a druid. While the cleric is more popular than a druid, clerics can't solo in the mean time and then port everyone to the same spot when the group is formed.
If you look at the classes that tend to be less prefered in groups, they almost all have other aspects to them that makes up for it. Necros are famous soloers. Wizards and Bards are both good soloers and amazing in raids.
The only classes I would say are a tad on the underpowered side when you consider all things, are Rangers. This will get a little better in Velious...but honestly it was a bit messed up until Luclin imo.
A few of you on this fourm seem to want you cake and eat it too. You want all the advantages of playing something like a druid or necro and also want to be as prized in exp grind groups as enchanters and clerics. If you think its so great being a group only class, try playing one.

Splorf22
06-25-2013, 11:16 AM
It will be interesting to see if your screenshot shuts up Davardo and Dirtnap :D

Anyway Shamans are fantastic of course (all my characters duo with Svenn heheh) but they just don't have the kind of CC that bards and enchanters bring (or a really good FD splitting monk even, but tbh most monks that I meet nowadays don't even try to FD split).

radditsu
06-25-2013, 11:31 AM
Also I just wanted to say all the people who rag on those of us in the tunnel that don't drop trau and bend over the instant someone asks us for buffs probably don't know what it's like:

Not pictured: the dozens of buff requests in /say that I saw during this time span.

And this has been late on a Monday night.. a SLOW night for the buff beggars. :)

Find a barb usable dagger, go role.

Halius
06-25-2013, 11:32 AM

^^ this. This is why I do not roam around asking for buffs from people. I try and level myself with the spells/skills I have and leave it at that. I want the classic experience where someone just randomly buffs you and you are eternally grateful because you are a god for 10-30 minutes. Just because the server is old and there are a bunch of high level players I do not assume that I will get handouts. I just want to play the game I love and if I get buffs on the way that is cool.

I don't think I'm the center of the universe, I just don't see why everyone tries to sugar coat the community to new players. They should know exactly what they are getting into.

EDIT: I just hope that new players will see enough posts to realize that this server is not what is marketed by the majority of the forum. They can hopefully avoid being indoctrinated into believing everyone on the server has your best interest at heart.

You know, maybe thats why so many new players get scammed these days. Sunshine and rainbows don't steal all your platinum.

I viewed these forums for 2 months before I even decided to play on here. I still decided to play and have loved it every time I log on. In a game where there are no instanced dungeons and an open world environment there are always going to be people who want to troll each other. There is competition, and as I have said numerous times before, that is what makes this game better than other MMOs, there is real world competition, not the shitty instanced shit where you walk through like a robot and don't even converse with people you play with. This game is no different than it was early on the live servers (if you played on a populated server), end game content in an open world environment is always going to have contention, that shouldn't take away from the 99% of the other parts of the game that are great.

xCry0x
06-25-2013, 12:38 PM

This.

I especially love the people who feel that the buff you give them isn't good enough. Cast a hero, where is the symbol? Really? Or the level 20s that ask you to run halfway across the world to CR & Rez them... ./facepalm.

If your concept of a good community is defined by high levels running around handing out expensive loot & buffs all over the place then you are going to not have a good time.

If your concept of a good community is friendly people to group with while leveling and high levels generally being more than willing to give advice & answer questions then you will have a good time.

katrik
06-25-2013, 12:55 PM
Hello everyone. I was thinking of playing this server, as I originally played EQ1 when it first launched, and I have realized my entire MMO life has always been about trying to recapture my experience with EQ.

Right now I am playing Vanguard SOH, which is great for the moment, but it still lacks that old tyme feel.

Reading up and getting opinions, I thought I would give this a go. I played an iksar monk originally, well after my Freeport human necro.

My question is, can I roll an iksar monk and expect to be able to solo reasonably well? Will I be welcomed to higher level raids and whatnot?

Thank you kindly for any responses. I am hoping I can recall that loving feeling. I plan to give EQ Next a shot when that comes out, as the team consists of some awesome original devs.

There are SO MANY MONKS. Play something else IMO.

Lyra
06-25-2013, 01:17 PM
There are SO MANY MONKS. Play something else IMO.

What level?

I know ONE monk that can pull (and I made him join my guild). There are a few monks in my level range (40- 50) but not tons.

I realize it's not easy to pull, but you guys need to start reading, and then practicing what you read.

katrik
06-25-2013, 01:25 PM
Don't play one.. No Ty.

Dirtnap
06-25-2013, 02:20 PM
I like how everyone just decides to make assumptions about me, or my personality. I laid it all out for how I act when I'm playing. Then everyone turned around to say that I have entitlement issues, or that I'm an altoholic, or anything else to try and make me look bad.

I'm glad that my posts have been slowly whittling away at the sunshine and rainbows front, and reality is shining through. A couple people have made posts thinking they are teaching me a lesson about how the server is, and they are saying pretty much what I was saying.

And no, that screenshot will not shut me up. How long were you in EC? How long did you let the tell windows build up? Did you buff anyone? Did you try to make a point, and then prove my point right?

I would have buffed every one of those people. I try to go out of my way every day to help people, do you?

EDIT: I went back to read all your tell windows. Two of them were for SoW ONLY (Fuck that guy for possibly being on a CR!), and 3-4 of them weren't even buff related. All in all, you had 8 ACTUAL buff requests.

Would it really be so hard to toss each one HP buffs? You don't have to raid buff each one, and if you were going to, why not invite them all to a group and do group buffs?

katrik
06-25-2013, 03:28 PM
I like how everyone just decides to make assumptions about me, or my personality. I laid it all out for how I act when I'm playing. Then everyone turned around to say that I have entitlement issues, or that I'm an altoholic, or anything else to try and make me look bad.

I'm glad that my posts have been slowly whittling away at the sunshine and rainbows front, and reality is shining through. A couple people have made posts thinking they are teaching me a lesson about how the server is, and they are saying pretty much what I was saying.

And no, that screenshot will not shut me up. How long were you in EC? How long did you let the tell windows build up? Did you buff anyone? Did you try to make a point, and then prove my point right?

I would have buffed every one of those people. I try to go out of my way every day to help people, do you?

EDIT: I went back to read all your tell windows. Two of them were for SoW ONLY (Fuck that guy for possibly being on a CR!), and 3-4 of them weren't even buff related. All in all, you had 8 ACTUAL buff requests.

Would it really be so hard to toss each one HP buffs? You don't have to raid buff each one, and if you were going to, why not invite them all to a group and do group buffs?

Oh. Wasn't really addressing you in particular.. The above me apparently thought I was playing one.

Lyra
06-25-2013, 03:38 PM
Oh. Wasn't really addressing you in particular.. The above me apparently thought I was playing one.

I was asking the level of all the monks you see. I didn't assume you were playing one. I don't see them 40 - 50.

August
06-25-2013, 03:44 PM
I read to page 5 and skipped to the end because there was so much complaining.

This server is what you make of it. Play what you want - you can find a group.

As to the social aspect - if you play on this server and you can't seem to get along with anyone, that's on you.

I've played here for 8 months, have a 60 enc, a full friends list, and generally have a great time when I log on whether it's just BS'ing in EC for a couple hours giving C2/haste while selling jewelry, doing some item camps, chardok aoe, or a sky raid, etc.

Do I meet assholes? Yes. They go on ignore. Is everyone super-awesome rainbow-happiness? No. This is true of any community.

The community here is absolutely what you make of it. You get what you give. As far as buffing, as an enchanter, I know how it feels to always get bombarded with tells. That's why I /roleplay when I'm AFK or actively using my mana for enchanting, etc. People seem very sensitive on this thread and I'd just like to say that this community is like any other community except true anonymity doesn't exist and reputation can follow you (well, except for the whole acct buying/selling ordeal). That's one of the great things about EQ - you get to establish who you are and what you tolerate without having to deal w/ the mindless LFG system that new modern MMOs put out.

So, roll a monk, have some fun, and don't worry on whether people are nice. Most are, some aren't, but I'd dare you to find a community that's 100% rainbows and sunshine.

Gadwen
06-25-2013, 04:09 PM

I want pics and stories!

Gadwen
06-25-2013, 04:17 PM
To OP, As you can see this server is full of all sorts of hilarity. All the drama, rage, laughs, adventure and excitement from classic EQ are still here. A mix of pathetic poop socking raiders, jaded wannabe raiders, borderline autistic nerds that can't figure out how to socialize, and players who just like to hang out and have a good time are all waiting for you to meet in game!

Pretty sure this is classic.

Agatha
06-25-2013, 04:25 PM
dont roll blue, roll red.

Dirtnap
06-25-2013, 04:59 PM

Sorry I was talking to Liquid, I apologize. It would have been clearer had I had a quote in that post.

EDIT: To be clear to everyone, I never meant there are no nice people. A good portion of people will be polite, but the praiseworthy acts of kindness are rare.

LiQuid
06-25-2013, 05:30 PM
2 hours and aside from a few I missed while AFK I buffed them all. Aren't I a saint?

thufir
06-25-2013, 05:41 PM
EDIT: To be clear to everyone, I never meant there are no nice people. A good portion of people will be polite, but the praiseworthy acts of kindness are rare.

Honestly Dirtnap (and Davardo), from reading your posts in this thread I feel like your bar for kindness is considerably higher than mine. If your idea of a great server is one where everybody drops what they're doing to buff you, give you valuable items, and port you more or less on command you are playing a different game than the one I played on Live and the one I expect to play here.

It's absolutely true that people won't always do what you want them to do, but I don't want my game to be a charity server. I get some things I ask for and a lot of things I don't, but my attitude has always been that if I want to port I should be a porter, if I want sow I should be a sower, etc. Make friends, bother them, if you really need buffs all the time. But I don't expect it and I don't think most people do either. This is a game, everyone ultimately does what they want to with their time here. If they don't feel like buffing and porting they shouldn't feel obligated, and I don't feel like the server is somehow a lesser place for it.

I've never been excluded from groups for being an SK either. People are usually happy to see me, in fact. (Hi Sicca!) Seems like there is a tank shortage out there.

I hate to keep echoing what everyone else is saying Davardo, but it might be you, and you might want to consider the possibility that, at the very least, your expectations for "nice" exceed most others.

Gadwen
06-25-2013, 05:50 PM
I've never been excluded from groups for being an SK either. People are usually happy to see me, in fact. (Hi Sicca!) Seems like there is a tank shortage out there.

Nobody has a problem with hybrids in groups, Pallys and SKs are great tanks for exp groups despite that INSANE 6-10% exp that they take away from me.

People just don't like rangers.

Dirtnap
06-25-2013, 07:00 PM
Honestly Dirtnap (and Davardo), from reading your posts in this thread I feel like your bar for kindness is considerably higher than mine. If your idea of a great server is one where everybody drops what they're doing to buff you, give you valuable items, and port you more or less on command you are playing a different game than the one I played on Live and the one I expect to play here.

It's absolutely true that people won't always do what you want them to do, but I don't want my game to be a charity server. I get some things I ask for and a lot of things I don't, but my attitude has always been that if I want to port I should be a porter, if I want sow I should be a sower, etc. Make friends, bother them, if you really need buffs all the time. But I don't expect it and I don't think most people do either. This is a game, everyone ultimately does what they want to with their time here. If they don't feel like buffing and porting they shouldn't feel obligated, and I don't feel like the server is somehow a lesser place for it.

I hate to keep echoing what everyone else is saying Davardo, but it might be you, and you might want to consider the possibility that, at the very least, your expectations for "nice" exceed most others.

I just feel like someone needs to let new players know that the server is NOT what I describe I would like it to be. That people come on the forums and post in new player threads with many good things, and very very few bad things. People need to know that the server has both people who will want to help you, and people who will scam you out of everything you have worked for.

I'm just being the voice on the other side, while everyone else is saying sunshine and rainbows, I will be here to let new players know that this server is not perfect. It will be a long bumpy road, and there will be many altercations to deal with.

EDIT: I realize what I described is a dream, and could never be reality. I can always hope for something better, and strive to attain it, even if it will never happen.

Gadwen
06-25-2013, 07:26 PM
People need to know that the server has both people who will want to help you, and people who will scam you out of everything you have worked for.

This is pretty much how life is. You don't need to warn people that there are some assholes out there that might be an asshole to you...any person with a functioning brain should already understand that.

Sarius
06-25-2013, 08:29 PM
Dirtnap showing new players that there are many morons on this server. Way to go!

xCry0x
06-25-2013, 10:32 PM
Nobody has a problem with hybrids in groups, Pallys and SKs are great tanks for exp groups despite that INSANE 6-10% exp that they take away from me.

People just don't like rangers.

Hybrid & Hybrids.. problem is Hybrids in group IE paladin tank, bard for cc, ranger dps LFM!

Simply having 1 isnt huge, especially if you are higher level than them.

Swish
06-25-2013, 10:50 PM
I just feel like someone needs to let new players know that the server is NOT what I describe I would like it to be. That people come on the forums and post in new player threads with many good things, and very very few bad things. People need to know that the server has both people who will want to help you, and people who will scam you out of everything you have worked for.

I'm just being the voice on the other side, while everyone else is saying sunshine and rainbows, I will be here to let new players know that this server is not perfect. It will be a long bumpy road, and there will be many altercations to deal with.

EDIT: I realize what I described is a dream, and could never be reality. I can always hope for something better, and strive to attain it, even if it will never happen.

Hold on there chief. I've been here for 2.5 years and haven't been scammed... you'll only be scammed if you're tired and unlucky, naive or use passwords like "password". In that time I can say I've only had a handful of camp issues, 95% or more of people are okay about splitting a camp and we find a compromise.

What would make the server a worse place to play however is 2-boxing... and we all know your stance on that. Try levelling a character to 60 before passing a verdict on the server's health... you've been reading RnF too much :p

Dirtnap
06-26-2013, 12:02 AM
Hold on there chief. I've been here for 2.5 years and haven't been scammed... you'll only be scammed if you're tired and unlucky, naive or use passwords like "password". In that time I can say I've only had a handful of camp issues, 95% or more of people are okay about splitting a camp and we find a compromise.

What would make the server a worse place to play however is 2-boxing... and we all know your stance on that. Try levelling a character to 60 before passing a verdict on the server's health... you've been reading RnF too much :p

I don't read RNF, and you focus way to much on my stance on two boxing. It's like my one opinion on two boxing shapes my entire personality in your mind. Its silly.

There are plenty of people popping onto the forum, and even complaining in game about getting scammed. Most of which are people NEW to the server. Why is that? Because their first experience was on the forum before diving right in. 10 people told them how nice everyone here is, and so they dropped their guard. They decided to trust someone they shouldn't have, and they paid for it drastically.

If the people on the forums didn't praise the community for its sparse good deads so heavily, these people would not have had a game shattering experience. Maybe they decide to stick it out and keep playing, or maybe they just quit and forever leave and tell other people to never play here.

This is why I'm vocal about it. I want to warn people that the word of mouth on the forums is not reality. It is a few acts of kindness from a small group of people, that is magnified to an unrealistic level.

EDIT: Without starting a whole argument about twoboxing I just want to say: Two Boxing has its positives and negatives, acting like it will single handedly destroy the server is nonsense. Account sales are allowed, and they do the exact same things people say two-boxing would do, and yet the same people against boxing are for account sales.

Davardo
06-26-2013, 12:04 AM
I want pics and stories!

I gave away 2 Ebony Bladed Swords, a Rukgus Sticker, some staff that I can't name atm just last week.

I have no proof, as I don't need to prove my kindness on a regular basis.

I have so many alts because every few monthes when I decide to play again I make something new to play as. I haven't made a new char in maybe a year, excluding red99.

As to people being laughably butt hurt, you are proving how this community is not as good as you think it is, or for that matter what you define as good is flawed.

Tecmos Deception
06-26-2013, 12:05 AM
I want to warn people that the word of mouth on the forums is not reality. It is a few acts of kindness from a small group of people, that is magnified to an unrealistic level.

The forums are a more positive place than the ingame world of p99.

Now I've heard everything.