PDA

View Full Version : New Player question

Numkin
06-24-2013, 01:02 PM
Good Morning,

I just found out about this project and wish I had known about it sooner.

I was looking to create an enchanter, however I remember them being fairly difficult to solo, so I was wondering if there are enough people on the lower levels to be able to get groups, or should I start out with a class that is more soloable? I've noticed on the EQEmulator site boxing isn't allowed, so my monk/shaman or cleric/warrior combo won't work :P

falkun
06-24-2013, 01:08 PM
Enchanters are fantastic soloers, but they are a backloaded class (power ramps up to L60). Enchanter pets are good until you can charm, and charm works well at all levels, getting progressively easier as the enchanter's maximum mana pool increases proportionally to mana costs.

Shivilian
06-24-2013, 01:08 PM
There are a lot of people new to the server and old timers rolling alts that group up. As an enchanter myself, and somewhat new to the server, I have only had trouble finding a group a minimal amount of times.

Soloing hasn't been overly difficult either, just... challenging :)

Numkin
06-24-2013, 01:12 PM
Great thanks,

I think i'll be rolling a Gnome Enchanter this evening then, can't wait to kill me some kobolds and minotaurs.

xCry0x
06-24-2013, 03:25 PM
Soloing on a necro is easy.

Soloing on an enchanter is 100% possible and has the highest ceiling of what you can accomplish. It is also probably the highest ceiling of skill level to go along side what you can accomplish because you are juggling a ton of shit. Charmed pet, cc'd mobs, no ability to heal, casting damage absorber on yourself.

To echo others, solo is great but there are a lot of benefits to a duo/trio.

Enchanter + Cleric makes the enchanter life a lot easier because you get hp buffs and heals so if shit goes sideways you can live longer and recover from damage.. also you can keep one pet instead of switching due to cleric heals, especially higher levels once cleric can ch and you have pets with thousands of hp.

Enchanter + Shaman, similar to cleric but shaman can share in the duties of haste/slow/buffs & add damage with dots or tank for the pet with agro from slow.

Samoht
06-24-2013, 03:36 PM
^ clerics can nuke and help stun/root, too

Numkin
06-24-2013, 03:42 PM
Aye, I always enjoyed a Enchanter/Ranger duo. Fear kiting was always nice. I played through several expansions with my enchanter, I think hes around either level 75 or 80. But I leveled him up starting in 99, was my first char, so there were lots of people playing.

Looking forward to getting back to some of the earlier days of EQ.

falkun
06-24-2013, 03:42 PM
^ clerics can nuke and help stun/root, too

Aye, a good cleric will heal the enchanter getting hit. A great cleric will stun the mob beating on the enchanter.

Mappo Runt
06-24-2013, 03:48 PM
Aye, a good cleric will heal the enchanter getting hit. A great cleric will stun the mob beating on the enchanter.

My Cleric will rez the dead Enchanter and whine about rebuffing. Thank god I do not play my cleric often!

Lyra
06-24-2013, 04:12 PM

The chances are the enchanter is trying to mez the mob, do you agree?

I'll stun a broken pet, but if the enchanter is trying to mez, I'll keep them alive while they do it.

Most times it's multiple mobs. I let the enchanter do their job, while I do mine. There is also a chance my stun hits after a successful mez and then I not only have a pissed off mob on me, the enchanter is not happy either.

Samoht
06-24-2013, 04:16 PM
cleric stun doesn't break mez...

Numkin
06-24-2013, 04:18 PM
Mad enchanter typically ends up with someone else dying, typically the person they are mad at :P

Lyra
06-24-2013, 04:21 PM

haha well let me go edit that!

I'm still going to heal P~

xCry0x
06-24-2013, 04:23 PM

My stuns do damage...

I read that statement before from Loraen though about good clerics stunning. I have loaded stun before and iirc it broke the mez assuming it hits after mez lands.

From duoing hs the typical routine is, pet pulls room, back up pet while rooting everything, heal pet. Kill one by one. Mez is optional but usually done anyways for that double protection =P

The stun's usually help more if something summons & bashes the enchanter.

lecompte
06-24-2013, 04:30 PM
Aye, I always enjoyed a Enchanter/Ranger duo. Fear kiting was always nice. I played through several expansions with my enchanter, I think hes around either level 75 or 80. But I leveled him up starting in 99, was my first char, so there were lots of people playing.

Looking forward to getting back to some of the earlier days of EQ.

I have duo-d with a chanter for the longest time and was my quickest rate of xping up to 60; it was a real pleasure.

Soloing on an enchanter is 100% possible and has the highest ceiling of what you can accomplish.

Seems like Shaman is a much easier solo and can actually do things that aren't possible for a chanter, which is not true of the reverse. Of course, for a shaman, there is a much higher plat value associated with gearing.

Samoht
06-24-2013, 04:48 PM
My stuns do damage...

try using this spell (http://wiki.project1999.org/Stun)

Numkin
06-24-2013, 05:01 PM
aye, ranger/chanter is best duo imo, but was looking at the pop for the server and see low ranger pop, which saddens me. Hopefully find a ranger starting out around same time as me. If not, shadow nights were fun duo group also.