PDA

View Full Version : Iksar Question

Shilver
06-27-2013, 03:07 PM
Hey guys, quick question:

So I'm leveling up in the Bone Yards, and I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong or if this is just the way it's suppose to be..but I just recently hit 5 and I can still only kill the blue mobs outside of the pit, and as a Iksar SK it's pretty brutal. I didn't mind it before, but this is borderline 0 XP a kill. I also can't seem to get a group to kill stuff inside the pit, as everyone is already and doesn't want to add me (for whatever reason), or just no one is there.

So just wondering what I should do..because sitting killing all these 0 XP mobs seems ridiculous.

Messianic
06-27-2013, 03:18 PM
It's been a while since I had a level 5 character, but I remember 5-10 can be slow if you don't have access to Blackburrow or EC Buffs. My iksar monk did FoB and found that effective, so I would think you're in the right place.

IIRC, some of the mobs in the pit are 2-4, so some of those might work if you're slick enough to avoid the more powerful ones...

Lyra
06-27-2013, 03:28 PM
Send Greycee a tell tonight after 7pm central and I'll discuss tactics with you.

The game is meant to be played in groups. So if you aren't in a group, you need either someone helping you of higher level, or gear that is higher than you can obtain on your own.

Nlaar
06-27-2013, 04:25 PM
Soloing as a SK in the early levels without good gear is difficult. Many would advise to move to EC and ask for buffs / damage shields from people in the tunnel to help with the process.

Best of luck!

tacite
06-27-2013, 06:37 PM
Field of Bone has kind of a gap level 4-7ish, go to Lake of Ill Omen instead - higher con blues and some whites for your killing pleasure!

Ahldagor
06-27-2013, 07:56 PM
field of bone at those levels is a group must for the number of kills potential. lake of ill omen is a good one too if you plan on staying in kunark. when you can get into kurns it speeds up .

Liburtee
06-27-2013, 08:03 PM
Id have to agree, as i own 3 iksar chars atm. FoB just hits a gap between 4-7 as stated earlier, loio should be alot better

NachtMystium
06-27-2013, 08:22 PM
Just keep looking for groups and solo what you can. It's really tough in the beginning and it will only get harder later on as an Iksar SK, you've chosen the race/class combo with the worst exp penalty in-game, alongside troll SKs. I'd recommend making as many friends as possible.

Just keep your head up as it's gonna get real muddy for you, but you'll get respect as a high level Iksar SK.

Swish
06-27-2013, 08:29 PM
Field of Bone has kind of a gap level 4-7ish, go to Lake of Ill Omen instead - higher con blues and some whites for your killing pleasure!

Shilver
06-27-2013, 08:34 PM
Thanks for the responses guys! Helped a lot.

fuark
06-27-2013, 09:36 PM
Swish I feel my allergies flare up every time you post

I hope those cats are hypoallergenic

Asap
06-27-2013, 09:43 PM
You chose one of the most difficult race/class combos to start off with. Limited gear selection along with experience penalty is not a good combo. But if you're not in a rush to level, enjoy it

Shilver
06-27-2013, 10:41 PM
Another quick question:

Will I get killed on sight when I go to EC?

Shortened
06-27-2013, 10:53 PM
Tanzaw, I just leveled a monk to 17, Ikky in FOB/Kurns. It's rough, truly. but it is worth it! just ported to EC for thef irst time now, we are very kos everywhere. i hear an easy faction is to go to crushbone and kill orcs for a long long time :)

Feralspec
06-27-2013, 10:59 PM
youre the hated race. get used to it lol

Shilver
06-27-2013, 11:02 PM
Yep, just making sure lol. So to actually go there and trade I have to get my faction up. I'll figure it when that time comes I suppose lol.

Feralspec
06-27-2013, 11:09 PM
im 42 and havent worried about any faction, i dont get to see a bank too often but ive found a few merchants around druid rings that i can use

Feralspec
06-27-2013, 11:13 PM
i prefer iksars though for FoB and kurns, i find it a very good zone for new chars. Like stated im a shaman though so its 2 different stories

Shilver
06-27-2013, 11:20 PM
i prefer iksars though for FoB and kurns, i find it a very good zone for new chars. Like stated im a shaman though so its 2 different stories

Lake of the Ill Omen is doing a lot better right now, definitely going to go back to FoB/Kurns Tower once I'm level 6/7 tho.

gotrocks
06-27-2013, 11:36 PM
I always play iksars, and i can confirm what people are saying, 5-7 in fob is tough, go hit up lake of ill omen right outside cabilis until 6 or 7, at which point you'll be able to go back into Fob and hit the pit. It'll be pretty smooth sailing from that point on, and you'll do just fine in kurns with your lvl 9 spells around lvl 12+.

I'd stay in kurns until 21 or 22 then hop over to ill omen again. A lot of people avoid that zone because they think the ZEM sucks, but the ill omen ZEM listed on the wiki is incorrect, that zone is actually amazing xp and i would stay there until you can go to WW and solo giants.

webrunner5
06-28-2013, 07:00 AM
it is hard to get groups with your 68% Penalty also. It will be one damn hard row to hoe here as a Ikky SK I can tell you. But the re gen is nice to have. Welcome aboard.

ripwind
06-28-2013, 08:58 AM
Another quick question:

Will I get killed on sight when I go to EC?

Pretty much. It's a tough life. You'll need to worry about getting camo/invis before ports, you'll have a hard time selling, you won't be able to bank anywhere without significant faction work, you'll need other people to buy your spells (Unless you buy and bank them all in Cabilis), and getting home requires a pretty dangerous deathmarch through the Dreadlands after a port. You'll also depend a lot on other people for buying your food.

At least, those are my experiences so far as an Iksar. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't have gone any other way, but I don't want to sugar-coat it! The other evil races only have it slightly better than Iksar.

Knots
06-28-2013, 09:53 AM
You'll have a hard time selling

The druid merchants at druid rings are neutral to iksars so you can sell to them pretty easily. Some rings (like in WC) have other druid NPCs that will attack you though.

getting home requires a pretty dangerous deathmarch through the Dreadlands after a port.

Recently I've been getting ports to Ro, walk to dock in Oasis, take boat to Timorous Deep, and run down to firepots room. If you have levitate and SoW to run across the water, it is pretty much just as fast as going the Dreadlands route, and much safer.

You'll also depend a lot on other people for buying your food.

If you bind forage to your movement keys (I have it bound to A and D) you will constantly forage as you move. I haven't bought food since I started playing.

Just wanted to post a few tips to help get around some of the negative aspects of playing an Iksar.

Messianic
06-28-2013, 10:29 AM
Long story short, the leveling on Kunark is good enough that you shouldn't leave until after your 30s. And even then it's mostly better on Kunark.

Being able to train skills is crucial, so honestly it's best to suck it up and stick around :)

ripwind
06-28-2013, 12:03 PM
Long story short, the leveling on Kunark is good enough that you shouldn't leave until after your 30s. And even then it's mostly better on Kunark.

Being able to train skills is crucial, so honestly it's best to suck it up and stick around :)

Agreed! I'm playing with a pair of RL friends, so I do some travelling. They're both High Elves.

Also, thanks for the tips, Knots! The firepots route sounds WAY safer.

Clark
06-28-2013, 01:17 PM
Send Greycee a tell tonight after 7pm central and I'll discuss tactics with you.

The game is meant to be played in groups. So if you aren't in a group, you need either someone helping you of higher level, or gear that is higher than you can obtain on your own.

Idk I like never group. Depending on class or gear solo is usually faster.

Lyra
06-28-2013, 01:20 PM
If you bind forage to your movement keys (I have it bound to A and D) you will constantly forage as you move.

Don't forget to add a macro for /autoinventory or it will make you crazy.

/hotbutton foraging

A hotbutton named "foraging" should appear on your mouse. Drop it in your hotbuttons window wherever you normally keep your forage button.

Now, open your Actions menu, and look at your abilities in the second tab. Figure out which of the 6 non-combat ability buttons is your usual forage button. They should be numbered like this--
1 2
3 4
5 6
--so if the one that says "forage" is the third one on the right, it is ability #6.

Now, right click on the "foraging" hotbutton you just made in your hotbuttons window, to open the screen where you edit the contents of the macro.

In the first line, type:
/doability #
--where you replace # with the number of the forage ability you just looked up in your options window. i.e. /doability 6 or /doability 3, etc.

In the second line, type:
/pause 10
(this will create a 1 second delay in the macro)

In the third line, type:
/autoinventory
(this will drop whatever you have foraged in the first open slot in your inventory or bags. Make sure you have plenty of food and drink stocked in your first bag, so that you aren't eating things you want to keep.)

Now, go into your Options window. Click on the tab that says "Keyboard" and then select "Macros" from the drop-down box.

Find the hotbutton that is your foraging hotbutton. Beside it, there should be two columns. The first is a number. The second is blanks.

Click in the SECOND column beside the hotbutton that is your foraging hotbutton on the list, and it will say "Press a Key"

Press your forward arrow button, or your left or right arrow button. Then close this window.

Now, every time you move forward (or turn left or right if you chose that instead) if your forage ability is refreshed, you will...

1) Automatically attempt to forage
2) Pause 1 second
3) Drop whatever you have foraged into your inventory.

Then, just go through your packs once in a while, destroy whatever you don't need, bank whatever you do need, and keep on foraging!

tacite
06-28-2013, 01:59 PM
Quoted by Swish, my life is complete. <3