PDA

View Full Version : I have the sinking feeling that I'm doing something wrong on my necro

RevengeofGio
07-01-2013, 10:48 AM
Okay so I'm sitting grinding solo fairly safely and its taking me an upwards of 6-7 hours of killing dark blues and an occasional yellow if I get lucky at orc highway in Oasis to go from lvl 19-20. Part of me is thinking well its because I didn't get my new health -> mana spell till 20, but part part of me is thinking I'm doing something wrong.

Basically I pull with darkness, then fear, sick pet heart flutter and heat blood. Sometimes that's about all thats needed sometimes an extra heat blood or auto attacks. I can maybe do 3-4 pulls before I'm sitting for a bit. Am I supposed to be using less dots? Is this just how it goes for a bit? I didn't die at all from 19-20 and it still felt like forever.

diplo
07-01-2013, 11:02 AM
you can save some mana by skipping out on fear and just aggro/kite with the dots while running/medding so you can pull more mobs before sitting and medding.

Estu
07-01-2013, 11:03 AM
Make sure your pet isn't stealing 50% of your EXP. Are you doing at least 50% of the damage with your DoTs?

RevengeofGio
07-01-2013, 12:38 PM
Make sure your pet isn't stealing 50% of your EXP. Are you doing at least 50% of the damage with your DoTs?

I'll have to check the combat log to make sure, but that could be it. I kinda wish I could see the exact amount of xp I'm getting.

Estu
07-01-2013, 02:39 PM
I'll have to check the combat log to make sure, but that could be it. I kinda wish I could see the exact amount of xp I'm getting.

Yeah, it's too bad you can't. You can generally see the difference between 50% EXP and 100% EXP by carefully examining how much your experience bar moves up after every kill, though. Also, keep in mind that the combat log will not necessarily record all of your pet's damage if you're not right up near where the action is.

Sollix
07-01-2013, 03:09 PM
I kinda wish I could see the exact amount of xp I'm getting.

This UI will show you a percentage-based xp bar, so you can at least see if a solo kill is giving 2% or less than 1% (not changing value upon killing). I like the look of it.

http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=7850

Troze
07-07-2013, 01:24 PM
Is that 50% damage true? I thought you just had to tag the mob with a nuke or something.

Pringles
07-07-2013, 01:29 PM
If pet out damages you, he takes a big chunk of the exp.

Troze
07-07-2013, 02:09 PM
Oh sweet jesus I've wasted so much time. . . Has it always been this way?

SamwiseRed
07-07-2013, 06:08 PM
Oh sweet jesus I've wasted so much time. . . Has it always been this way?

join date 2010, damn son 3 years of living a lie. how do you feel?

Widan
07-07-2013, 07:00 PM

http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=52390

hasnt even been in 2 years. damn son how does it feel to fail a burn?

SamwiseRed
07-07-2013, 07:03 PM
wasnt a burn I was seriously asking.

kaos057
07-08-2013, 01:21 AM
you can save some mana by skipping out on fear and just aggro/kite with the dots while running/medding so you can pull more mobs before sitting and medding.

False!

When a mob is feared your dots do far more damage. You can also med a lot better when you don't have to constantly get up and run. Just get all your dots on before you send in pet and you wont have to worry about it stealing xp.

Blackyce
07-08-2013, 10:00 AM
False!

When a mob is feared your dots do far more damage. You can also med a lot better when you don't have to constantly get up and run. Just get all your dots on before you send in pet and you wont have to worry about it stealing xp.

Yes if you're going to fear kite in the outdoors, fear should be your last spell.

Darkness
send pet
Heart Flutter
Heat Blood
Fear

Sit and you shouldn't need to refear or dot again.

Swish
07-08-2013, 10:42 AM
Well, I hate to disagree... but I'll disagree!

Darkness from mid/max range
Fear
Add dots...
(refresh fear when you know its about to expire)
Profit

It gets much easier as you level if that helps. Fear/darkness last longer, dots scale better versus old world mobs, and into the 50s you're beastly :)

As for the pet, if you think he's out-dps'd your dots per tick (keep a rough count in your head of dots per tick (should be a set figure once all applied) and his damage per tick. If you think he's got your number, pull him off at 20% or 25% to be sure and let the dots all expire... then re-send the pet if its not dead by that point.

p-niner
07-08-2013, 03:24 PM
Fear slows them down enough for pet to stick and gives full ticks I think. Skip the snare shits expensive.

Troze
07-08-2013, 03:29 PM

Not great. To be honest I still flew from ~20-45 or so. Tried chain casting pets, tried killing pets as my nuke is about to die, they all suck. I might just let him get half the exp out of ease.

Nuggie
07-17-2013, 09:35 PM
Check the wiki to double check me. Pet exp penalty doesn't apply in groups. Also, if pet out damages you I believe you receive 25% of the exp. So if you have one partner you get 50% of exp(double what you would if pet steals exp while solo)+2% 2 person group bonus.

EDIt - plus you kill things a lot faster.

dwpittman
07-26-2013, 04:28 PM
I have never played a necro b4 but I have a thought on the whole 50 percent pet damage idea. Snare mob fear dot let it get to 49 percent then send pet in repeat snare and fear med. Wait till your dots do 49 percent b4 sending pet in a possible tactic?

Estu
07-26-2013, 04:43 PM
Also, if pet out damages you I believe you receive 25% of the exp.

Incorrect. 50%.

lecompte
07-26-2013, 04:44 PM
It is a possible tactic but kinda wasted. If you send it in at 49% your pet can finish the mob without your dots on it and you get teh xp. Better to just get an idea of how much damage pet does vs dots and figure out when/if you need to pull pet off before mob is dead. Would definetly wanna do it at the end though while mob is inclined to flee.

Renenn
07-26-2013, 09:29 PM
It may not be the best tactic, but I usually start the fight with snare, send pet, fear, then I stack up leach line, boil blood line, and refresh fear. Once the mob reaches about 25% I pull the pet off and let the dots finish the mob as they start fleeing at around 19%-15%. If the dots wear off before the mobs dies, send pet to finish. I'm only lvl 31 atm, so it may get more complicated once mobs HP get crazy later on.

Potus
07-26-2013, 10:21 PM
Necro pet stealing your exp is an exaggerated problem. Once you hit level 24 it's nigh impossible for Jababer to steal your exp. Your nukes/dots get so much better that he won't be able to get 51% on you unless you have a ton of resists.

I want to say the pet exp nerf was put in for mages who just chained heals on their pet while they solo'ed red mobs during live. Necro dots are so efficient and pair so well with Fear that you'll never have a problem.

fishingme
08-01-2013, 09:40 AM
Go to unrest, you'll never level faster once you're 24+. Duo'ing with another class helps a lot too. Not recommended once you're 24+ though, they will only slow you down if you're worried about that. between pulling beetles and the zombie(undead shit) switch between your vs life and vs death fears, saves you a lot of mana. I never did it prior to like 36, but play with down-leveling your snare spell. Get your new hp to mana, it does make a difference.

Malone88
08-01-2013, 01:56 PM
It may not be the best tactic, but I usually start the fight with snare, send pet, fear, then I stack up leach line, boil blood line, and refresh fear. Once the mob reaches about 25% I pull the pet off and let the dots finish the mob as they start fleeing at around 19%-15%. If the dots wear off before the mobs dies, send pet to finish. I'm only lvl 31 atm, so it may get more complicated once mobs HP get crazy later on.
Exactly what I do at level 34, except I don't pull the pet. As Potus said, don't think
Jibber-Jabber can outdamage your 3 DoTs. Of course, I need to test it out with
the 34 pet spell which I don't have yet :(