PDA

View Full Version : Translocators! Your opinion.

Aeolwind
11-23-2009, 02:13 PM
Give your thoughts on the translocator change.

Sadad
11-23-2009, 02:24 PM
Seems to me to be a pointless timesink. The thing that made boats cool was riding on the boat, not waiting around for half an hour. I think we're all past the point where we need to feel like the world is huge for immersion purposes. Besides, the world will feel plenty huge if the population is stagnant by the time Kunark comes out.

ferris
11-23-2009, 02:29 PM
I like the idea to an extent, but like Sadad said it is still a huge timesink and I'm opposed to that. While I like the classic server and I am glad its staying this way, it does not mean that things can not be improved upon.

Also like Sadad said, you actually got to ride the boats, instead of just sit at the docks for 20 minutes.

Sphynx87
11-23-2009, 02:33 PM
those are good points, and also it seems like the spawn times are not synced in any way. so you translocate from FP to OOT and the translocator should be there waiting, just like the boat would be if you rode in on it. You shouldnt have to wait another 5-10 minutes :)

lyyfeleech
11-23-2009, 02:37 PM
I have seen the Translocators at the BB docks abused by using them as a zoneline. Not much risk involved when you can run to an npc and spawn a hotkey and instantly zone. Making them not port if in combat would fix that.

Aaron
11-23-2009, 02:40 PM
I like the idea of Transporters being around permanently. There's nothing cool about waiting around for a spawn just to get from point A to point B.

Maybe have them wait 15-20 seconds after you tell them where to go before they port you, so they can't be abused as a zoneline -- but I'm really not even opposed to them being used for that purpose.

eqravenprince
11-23-2009, 02:40 PM
Take the translocator out and make people swim!

Aeolwind
11-23-2009, 02:41 PM
Take the translocator out and make people swim!

I knew I forgot an option.

Morfnblorsh
11-23-2009, 02:42 PM
@Lyyfeleech

I like you idea about making the Translocators not port you if you're in combat.

Glorin Binfur hits Jibobn for 54 points of damage.
Glorin Binfur hits Jibobn for 43 points of damage.
Jibobn has been slain by Glorin Binfur.
Glorin Binfur hits YOU for 46 points of damage.
Glorin Binfur hits YOU for 32 points of damage.
You say travel to the ocean of tears.
Glorin Binfur hits YOU for 41 points of damage.
Glorin Binfur hits YOU for 33 points of damage.
You say, travel to the ocean of tears.
Translocator points at you.
Translocator laughs.
Glorin Binfur hits YOU for 51 points of damage.
Glorin Binfur hits YOU for 39 points of damage.
You have been slain by Glorin Binfur!
LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...

Tollen
11-23-2009, 02:47 PM
problem with it not working while in combat is some people don't choose to be in combat they are just trying to travel from point a to b and a mob agros them just a few feet away from port so now they are stuck? Your just asking for QQ's with that one.

eqravenprince
11-23-2009, 02:48 PM
I knew I forgot an option.

You could always speed up swimming to make it equivalent of a boat =).

nilbog
11-23-2009, 03:52 PM
I voted for I have another idea! Post below..

Ridable boats are actually something that are workable*, by perl code and db work. We got a chance to delve into these for a bit, and modified the current boat code (written by Angelox) to suite our needs in a couple of locations (thx aeolwind). Due to lots of private messages regarding how coders can help, this seems like an appropriate situation!

The following information is dedicated to purely technical details. If you are interested in how boats can* work, continue reading. I am not suggesting you make any modifications to what you currently have.

The old model boats (race 72 http://i50.tinypic.com/1icwsw.jpg )are hollow on the client, which I believe is an issue relating to Directx. This is also why the Translocators initially appeared on live eq.

In response to this, you can force another model into a zone that isn't hollow. This one works well. (Yes, its a downgrade from a ship, lol :T )

http://i48.tinypic.com/1z3812b.jpg

This model can be force loaded into zones by modifying globalload.txt and adding a line to the top. Here's what mine looks like. (Under no circumstances am I suggesting you change your globalload.txt file for this. I am merely explaining the difficulties in boat making. You will not receive a res if you try and ride these and go missing in the ocean.)

1,0,TFFF,erudnext_chr,Loading Characters
1,1,TFFF,GlobalFroglok_chr,Loading Froglok

Pretty much, the boats are summoned by timers, and invisible watchers in zones. Boats are npcs and can follow pathing grids. Invisible npcs wait on timers and then spawn the boats and send them on their way to the docks, where they pause, then continue on. When they reach the zoneline, you can have an invisible proximity npc port you to the next destination where another boat is spawned and waiting.

Here's some of the perl code from freporte.

## BOAT WATCHER!!
## SirensBane travels from oot to oot to freporte and back
## Angelox
## Qadar
sub EVENT_SPAWN { ## Starts in Oot

# --- START CODE FOR BOAT MOVER --- #

if($debugpl) {quest::shout("I currently see Stormbreaker's position set at $sirens");}
if($forceboats){
if($freportelastseen==$sirens){ #boat hasnt changed waypoints yet

$butcherstart = 0; # what $sirens is set at to start the boat in Butcher
$oot1start = 14; # what $sirens is set at to start the boat in OOT to Freeport
$fpstart = 39; # what $sirens is set at to start the boat in Freeport
$oot2start= 60; # what $sirens is set at to start the boat in OOT heading to Butcher

$oot1wait = 40; # number of spawns before it assumes boat in OOT to FP is stuck
$fpwait = 40; # number of spawns before it assumes boat in FP is stuck
$oot2wait = 40; # number of spawns before it assumes boat in OOT to Butcher is stuck
$butcherwait = 40; # number of spawns before it assumes boat in Butcher is stuck

if(($sirens>=$oot1start) && ($sirens < $fpstart) && ($freportetimer >= $oot1wait)){ #if waypoint hasnt changed in x spawns, and boat in oot on its way to fp
if($debugpl){quest::shout("Stormbreaker is in OOT heading to Freeport, hasn't moved, giving up and moving it to Freeport");}
quest::delglobal("sirens"); #boat obviously isnt moving... move it to fp
quest::setglobal("sirens",$fpstart,7,"F");}
elsif(($sirens>=$fpstart) && ($sirens < $oot2start) && ($freportetimer >= $fpwait)){ #if waypoint hasnt changed in x spawns, and boat in freeport
if($debugpl){quest::shout("Stormbreaker is in Freeport, hasnt moved, giving up and moving it to OOT");}
quest::delglobal("sirens"); #boat obviously isnt moving... move it to oot
quest::setglobal("sirens",$oot2start,7,"F");}
elsif(($sirens>=$oot2start) && ($freportetimer >= $oot2wait)){ #if waypoint hasnt changed in x spawns, and boat in oot on its way to bb
if($debugpl){quest::shout("Stormbreaker is in OOT heading to Butcher... hasnt moved, giving up and moving it to butcher");}
quest::delglobal("sirens"); #boat obviously isnt moving... move it to butcher
quest::setglobal("sirens",$butcherstart,7,"F");}
elsif(($sirens>=$butcherstart) && ($sirens < $oot1start) && ($freportetimer >= $butcherwait)){ #if waypoint hasnt changed in 15 spawns, and boat in butcher on its way to freeport
if($debugpl){quest::shout("Stormbreaker is in Butcher heading to OOT... hasnt moved, giving up and moving it to OOT");}
quest::delglobal("sirens"); #boat obviously isnt moving... move it to OOT
quest::setglobal("sirens",$oot1start,7,"F");}
else{ #increase the timer
$tempvar = $freportetimer+1;
if($debugpl){quest::shout("Stormbreaker hasn't moved, increasing timer to $tempvar");}
quest::delglobal("freportetimer");
quest::setglobal("freportetimer",$tempvar,3,"F");}
}else{ #boat has changed waypoints, tell freportelastseen its new waypoint, reset timer to 0
if($debugpl){quest::shout("Stormbreaker seems to be moving ok");}
quest::delglobal("freportelastseen");
quest::setglobal("freportelastseen",$sirens,3,F);
$freportelastseen = undef;
quest::delglobal("freportetimer");
quest::setglobal("freportetimer",0,3,7);
$freportetimer = undef;}}

# --- END : CODE FOR BOAT MOVER --- #

if (($sirens ==39) &&($sirens >=39) && ($sirens <=59)){ ##Oot
quest::spawn_condition(freporte,2,0); #BoatThere
quest::spawn_condition(freporte,1,1);
# quest::shout ("Boat there");
quest::depop();}
else{
quest::spawn_condition(freporte,2,1); #BoatGone
quest::spawn_condition(freporte,1,0);
# quest::shout ("Not there");
quest::depop();}}

# Zone to Oot SirensBane event
# Zone: FreportE
# AngeloX
# Qadar
sub EVENT_SPAWN{
$x = $npc->GetX();
$y = $npc->GetY();
quest::set_proximity($x - 100, $x + 100, $y - 100, $y + 100);}

sub EVENT_ENTER{
if (($sirens >=53) && ($sirens <=60.5)){
if($sirens != 60.5){
quest::delglobal("sirens");
quest::setglobal("sirens",60,7,"F");}
if($debugpl){ quest::shout("Zoning PC's to Oot Setting to 60!!!");}
quest::movepc(69,-10583.5,-3169.7,19.0);}}

## SirensBane travels from oot to oot to freporte and back
## Angelox
## Qadar

sub EVENT_DEATH {
if(($sirens < 60) && ($sirens > 0)){
if($debugpl){quest::shout("Zoning out!");}
quest::setglobal("sirens",60,7,"F");
$sirens=undef;}
}

sub EVENT_WAYPOINT {
## In freporte > Butcher ####################### In freporte >Oot #################

if ($sirens ==40){
if($debugpl){quest::shout("telling 10183 to depop");}
quest::signal(10183);
if($debugpl){quest::shout ("ZONEING in From oot setting 41");}
quest::setglobal("sirens",41,7,"F");
$sirens=undef;}
elsif($sirens==41){
quest::setglobal("sirens",42,7,"F");
$sirens=undef;}
elsif($sirens==42){
if($debugpl){quest::shout ("Setting 43");}
quest::setglobal("sirens",43,7,"F");
$sirens=undef;}
elsif($sirens==43){
quest::setglobal("sirens",44,7,"F");
$sirens=undef;}
elsif($sirens==44){
quest::setglobal("sirens",45,7,"F");
$sirens=undef;}
elsif($sirens==45){
quest::setglobal("sirens",46,7,"F");
$sirens=undef;}
elsif($sirens==46){
quest::setglobal("sirens",47,7,"F");
$sirens=undef;}
elsif($sirens==47){
quest::setglobal("sirens",48,7,"F");
$sirens=undef;}
elsif ($sirens==48){
quest::setglobal("sirens",49,7,"F");
$sirens=undef;}
elsif ($sirens==49){
quest::setglobal("sirens",50,7,"F");
$sirens=undef;}
elsif($sirens==50){
if($debugpl){quest::shout ("SET 50)");}
quest::setglobal("sirens",51,7,"F");
$sirens=undef;}
elsif($sirens==51){
quest::setglobal("sirens",52,7,"F");
$sirens=undef;}
elsif($sirens==52){
if($debugpl){quest::shout ("Setting 53");}
quest::setglobal("sirens",53,7,"F");
$sirens=undef;}
elsif($sirens==53){
quest::setglobal("sirens",54,7,"F");
$sirens=undef;}
elsif ($sirens==54){
quest::setglobal("sirens",55,7,"F");
$sirens=undef;}
elsif ($sirens==55){ ##### TIMER ###
if($debugpl){quest::shout ("Near ZoneLine Set 56!)");}
quest::setglobal("sirens",56,7,"F");
$sirens=undef;}
elsif($sirens==56){
quest::setglobal("sirens",57,7,"F");
$sirens=undef;}
elsif($sirens==57){
quest::setglobal("sirens",58,7,"F");
$sirens=undef;}
}

Any perl geniuses lurking around? I'd be willing to use those launches and skiffs, or another model if we could actually fix the boat system.

guineapig
11-23-2009, 04:17 PM
The boats were always a huge time sink like so many other things in EQ. In some ways it added to the "realism" in the sense that travel to other continents took time. I get it, it made sense. Huge time sinks are not what made EQ an epic game. I hope we can agree on that.

It also added to the whole need to organize and socialize when planning out the evening's activities, be it quests, grouping, whatever. In my opinion porting is still useful, (particularly when looking at the size of the main continent alone) but this added even more value to porting.

All that being said, the current population is so small that expecting to be able to buy a ride when you need one is not always going to happen, it just isn't. If I was playing a druid wizard with 2 hours a day to play and trying to reach 50 before Kunark is released I'm not leaving my group to port a stranger. I'm a nice guy and all but sorry, the fake money isn't worth my time.

There are indeed quests that were created with the idea that having to use boats will make it take longer (Stein of Mogguk among others), thereby increasing the value of the reward. To that I say this, so be it. Let the value drop on the Stein. I'm saying this as an enchanter by the way. The same thing happened on live albeit much later. Many of the other quests are for class specific items that aren't usually sold anyway.

I would much prefer the translocators be there all the time but in the interest of keeping the classic feel I voted for the zonewide shout instead. In all honesty nobody should be made to do nothing in a game for 20 minutes when most of us barely have the time to log in an hour or two a night. At least with the shout you don't have to be sitting on the dock (no I am not interested in fishing). Also back in the day people did indeed /shout when the boat was coming as a courtesy, at least on my server they did.

In short, please use the zone wide shout idea if the current setup is here to stay. At least give us that. It doesn't make the wait any less, it merely simulates a larger server population.

messiah_b
11-23-2009, 04:27 PM
^^^ I approve of this message.

In all honesty I think the perma-transports should be kept for now pending both a higher server population and good reliable boat code.

If there is a small amount of quests you can mitigate potential issues in any number of ways to keep them from being exploited while keeping them in the game namely by changing rewards to no-drop, reducing exp, making non repeatable, and devaluing the item to vendors.

Or just move the quest NPC's a bit deeper inland on their respective continents.
For example a Kaladim to Freeport quest you could change to Kelethin to Oasis or something like that.

Aeolwind
11-23-2009, 04:30 PM
The boats were always a huge time sink like so many other things in EQ. In some ways it added to the "realism" in the sense that travel to other continents took time. I get it, it made sense. Huge time sinks are not what made EQ an epic game. I hope we can agree on that.

It also added to the whole need to organize and socialize when planning out the evening's activities, be it quests, grouping, whatever. In my opinion porting is still useful, (particularly when looking at the size of the main continent alone) but this added even more value to porting.

All that being said, the current population is so small that expecting to be able to buy a ride when you need one is not always going to happen, it just isn't. If I was playing a druid wizard with 2 hours a day to play and trying to reach 50 before Kunark is released I'm not leaving my group to port a stranger. I'm a nice guy and all but sorry, the fake money isn't worth my time.

There are indeed quests that were created with the idea that having to use boats will make it take longer (Stein of Mogguk among others), thereby increasing the value of the reward. To that I say this, so be it. Let the value drop on the Stein. I'm saying this as an enchanter by the way. The same thing happened on live albeit much later. Many of the other quests are for class specific items that aren't usually sold anyway.

I would much prefer the translocators be there all the time but in the interest of keeping the classic feel I voted for the zonewide shout instead. In all honesty nobody should be made to do nothing in a game for 20 minutes when most of us barely have the time to log in an hour or two a night. At least with the shout you don't have to be sitting on the dock (no I am not interested in fishing). Also back in the day people did indeed /shout when the boat was coming as a courtesy, at least on my server they did.

In short, please use the zone wide shout idea if the current setup is here to stay. At least give us that. It doesn't make the wait any less, it merely simulates a larger server population.

The actual intent of the server is to recreate 1999 as closely as we possibly can. Failing that, temporary work arounds are required to maintain playability. If the boats can be rescripted, so shall it be....

Kreigore
11-23-2009, 04:54 PM
It's an unnecessary time sink.

If you would get the boats working, cool. I'd be for it. With the population, it's fairly hard to find someone to port on a moment's whim.

Ever been in Oasis and looking to join a group in Mistmoore as an evil race? It sucks, especially with the placement of the translocators in some instances. I've had to run to the translocator on Sister Isle once in a mad dash, due to gaining aggro.

emubird
11-23-2009, 05:10 PM
It is not vital that we be able to move around Norrath on a whim. Travel doesn't have to be easy, in order for the game to be good. It also doesn't have to be quick, in order for the game to be good.

I agree with Aeolwind that our goal here is to recreate classic EQ as best we can. We should try to get the boats working, and if we can't get that, then let's simulate the travel time that was needed back in 1999 as best we can. This is why I like Aeolwind's present solution; at least it's sort of like having to wait for a boat. A better solution, though, would be to pursue Nilbog's ideas for a perl script for boats.

Not all wizards and druids are rushing to get to 50 for Kunark, or for other reasons. If boats or travel time were a real part of our server, you would see many more teleporters around earning money like they did back in classic, particularly lower level druids who might want more cash. Right now, travel is too easy, and these classes feel it is not worth their while to offer ports for extensive periods.

guineapig
11-23-2009, 05:20 PM
Right now, travel is too easy, and these classes feel it is not worth their while to offer ports for extensive periods.

I have to disagree with you there. Tell a Warrior, SK or Pally that travel is too easy.

But in any case, that's why I voted to keep the TL's on a timer (thus recreating the time sink)but add the zonewide shout (simulating a larger server population) in an attempt to keep things feeling classic (till boats work anyway).

I know I added to much rant and not enough point... I do that alot. =/
But honestly, that's how I voted.

Aeolwind
11-23-2009, 05:50 PM
I have to disagree with you there. Tell a Warrior, SK or Pally that travel is too easy.

But in any case, that's why I voted to keep the TL's on a timer (thus recreating the time sink)but add the zonewide shout (simulating a larger server population) in an attempt to keep things feeling classic (till boats work anyway).

I know I added to much rant and not enough point... I do that alot. =/
But honestly, that's how I voted.

That is why I set it at 100 seconds. The boats actually only paused for 60 seconds at a dock. I added the extra 40 secs to simulate the "cruise up" time from zoning in. So, if one spawns and someone shouts "boat!" you have the same amount of time, possibly a bit more. I want a better solution than a shout...oo, and it just hit me, I have a solution. I want this to be a surprise so I'm gonna keep this one internal.

Morfnblorsh
11-23-2009, 06:25 PM
I want this to be a surprise so I'm gonna keep this one internal.

Later that day...

"The death toll is currently at 278 and rising. We'll have more coverage on this day of infamy as the carnage continues. Back to you, Jim."

Reiker
11-23-2009, 06:28 PM
I support either boats working fully or 24/7 translocators.

stormlord
11-23-2009, 06:32 PM
If the intent is to have project1999 be closer to what eq was in 1999, then the translocaters need to be on timers. This is not about downtime or anything like that because if it were, then we'd have to change most of code and database. This is about getting this as close to classic as we can, not about making this into a modern mmorpg.

Bigcountry23
11-23-2009, 07:14 PM
Later that day...

"The death toll is currently at 278 and rising. We'll have more coverage on this day of infamy as the carnage continues. Back to you, Jim."

Oh, the humanity!

Kreigore
11-23-2009, 08:01 PM
Oh, and to nerd rage:

I just died waiting for the OOT Translocator to spawn.

In classic, I'd have been on the boat and this wouldn't have happened. lulz. Died twice now.

Go, go evil race!

Edit: Thanks for porting me, Vonyor.

cassaruby
11-23-2009, 08:04 PM
every 10-15min, it simulates boats better. most people will vote don't change because it's natural to be lazy.

Kreigore
11-23-2009, 08:21 PM
It is not vital that we be able to move around Norrath on a whim. Travel doesn't have to be easy, in order for the game to be good. It also doesn't have to be quick, in order for the game to be good.

I never said traveling should be easy. The population is low; therefore, it takes quite sometime to find a generous person to teleport.

It should have been a.) left alone, b.) get the boats functioning or c.) have the timer as it is now, but alter the "spawn points" of the translocators. Evil races should not have to be ported into trouble. I was aggroed immediately as I was translocated in.

Aeolwind
11-23-2009, 09:11 PM
I never said traveling should be easy. The population is low; therefore, it takes quite sometime to find a generous person to teleport.

It should have been a.) left alone, b.) get the boats functioning or c.) have the timer as it is now, but alter the "spawn points" of the translocators. Evil races should not have to be ported into trouble. I was aggroed immediately as I was translocated in.

Which spot? I thought I'd fixed them =(

Bubbles
11-23-2009, 10:14 PM
Translocater says, "Hail, and well met, weary traveler! Would you like to [stand around for twenty minutes roleplaying and reliving one of the more drab instances of EQClassic], or would like to [port the fuck to OOT now]?"

Seriously, I am 100% behind letting anyone who wants to sit and wait 10-20 minutes before they translocate to wherever they are going do just that. The amusing thing is, they can do this without sadlling the masses with the same fate.

Honestly, if I'm a level 17 gnome magician sitting on the docks maxing my fishing before i make my way to OOT, is making my own fun enough? Do I really need to cock-block the naked human next to me who's on a corpse run?

Majnaurd
11-23-2009, 10:51 PM
Seriouolsy...Its TOO easy to travel? Tons of Druids/Wizzies looking to port?
I'm sorry did I miss something? Have you TRIED to get a damn BIND in city? TONS of people coming to help out with that... ROFL !!!

Want to make it MORE like old EQ? Refresh my lay hands when I die..Just like OLD EQ =)

Tollen
11-24-2009, 12:57 AM
Which spot? I thought I'd fixed them =(

coming from FP to OOT i was in his group he died...

stormlord
11-24-2009, 03:41 AM
Continuing my post as I was editing it when the power went out this morning...

This this changes:

1) encourages us to learn how to fish (gawd knows I need to train it) :)

2) makes the trip more challenging for evil races - which is as it should be (you didn't think those stats/regen were free did you?).

3) quests in the area that were made when traveling was slower to now function again.

4) further increases the value of ports like druids and wizards (there will be more porters when/if this goes into effect)

Having said all that... do we have the population to help compensate for the downtime? Back in 1999 there were more people, and more porters. That had to reduce the frustration somewhat. Additionally, traveling on the boat was fun the first few times (or fun everytime if you're like me). Translocaters are not boats and shouldn't be confused with them - they're not fun in the same way.

I really don't think it's a problem though. I know people complain, but if you're making the trip that often then you should rethink your plans. I'm absolutely honest when I say that traveling from one continent to another is something I do very, very rarely (haven't done it yet). So having to wait is not a problem for me. Instead, it's an opportunity to get a fishing pole and fish while I wait. Now, if I was bound in freeport and hunting in OOT, it might get me mad. But overall, I think most of the population will rarely use the boats/translocaters. If anything, this mechanic will decrease the numbers of people that hunt in OOT or zones that're in the path of the boat/translocater. I expect casters to still go to those zones since they can bind in them without having to translocate.

And before anyone tells me I don't know what I"m talking about.... I do. I played when everyone used boats. I had to take a boat to get to get to velious. I had to take a boat to get to erud's crossing and erudin (which I did several times in my career). I took the boat from freeport to faydwer as well (even tho my corpse was lost at sea because of a boat bug). I did lots of fishing. I remember it very well.

Btw, the need for binds has already pushed me to make a druid alt. That's one more future porter at your service.

Dijalin
11-24-2009, 07:11 AM
I have abstained from voting, as there was not an option on there I could agree with.

I am all for the translocators being on a spawn timer, if they are sync'd. If there is a way to get the boats working again then that would be fricken awesome.

Also.... weren't there 2 boats that traversed the open waters between E FP, the Isles of the Ocean of Tears, and BB?

Wouldn't waiting 20 minutes be a little silly considering boats came every 10 minutes or less?

Neno
11-24-2009, 07:36 AM
2) makes the trip more challenging for evil races - which is as it should be (you didn't think those stats/regen were free did you?)..

EXP penalty.

Voted: Lame

The people who want to wait at the dock for an extra 10-15min raising fishing skill are more than welcome to even when the TLs are up.

drplump
11-24-2009, 08:39 AM
Since a lot of people want an option for instant transportation at docks how about a compromise.

Change the Translocator to the Boat Master who announces the time left until the next public boat arrives when hailed and allows people to [board the boat] for 100 seconds when its there maybe even script a boat that cannot be boarded arriving. It would be understood that the time it takes to zone is the boat traveling. Nearby have another NPC that offers private boats for a price possibly based on time until next public boat.

Zarniwooop
11-24-2009, 08:40 AM
I wouldn't mind the wait. But, the primary issue is the DOUBLE wait. If you're going to make us wait, which is fine, don't make us wait AGAIN on sister island. Sister island translocater should ALWAYS be up.

That's the only change I'd make. Sister Island translocater up all the time. I sort of like it otherwise. But, the double wait does not mimic classic in any way and kills over an hour if you're going there and back on an errand.

Kantan
11-24-2009, 08:49 AM
I wouldn't mind the wait. But, the primary issue is the DOUBLE wait. If you're going to make us wait, which is fine, don't make us wait AGAIN on sister island. Sister island translocater should ALWAYS be up.

That's the only change I'd make. Sister Island translocater up all the time. I sort of like it otherwise. But, the double wait does not mimic classic in any way and kills over an hour if you're going there and back on an errand.

I agree at least put this TL on a delay. You should not have to do a double wait.

foxdragoon
11-24-2009, 09:12 AM
Getting rid of the doublewait by having the translocator in OOT permanent actually sounds like a good compromise.

Ruien
11-24-2009, 09:22 AM
I think the translocators are perfect the way they are implemented now. I agree that it is a "timesink", but one of the results is that it increases the value of teleports. (For the record, I play an enchanter. I still think it's a good idea.)

I wouldn't change it. I don't agree with pointless timesinks, but given the teleportation implications, it doesn't seem pointless to me.

Lastly, there is an argument about server population. There aren't enough druids and wizards porting to even buy a port if you need one. It's true right now:

/ all druid 29 50

returns like 8 results. Yes maybe some are ANON.

/ all druid 1 29

results cut short because there are many more of them.

I think when a large number of our server's druids get up into the 30s, then finding a port won't be a huge issue. We'll see.

Aeolwind
11-24-2009, 12:30 PM
I agree at least put this TL on a delay. You should not have to do a double wait.

In this case, both ends of a TL would be upped to 30 minutes. So BB and FP would be long & no wait in OOT but I would change the translocators to not work while in combat, TINSTAFL. vs now, 23 minute max, the-time-it-takes-you-to-zone minimum. Overall, this change would result in longer delays overtime.

President
11-24-2009, 01:22 PM
In this case, both ends of a TL would be upped to 30 minutes. So BB and FP would be long & no wait in OOT but I would change the translocators to not work while in combat, TINSTAFL. vs now, 23 minute max, the-time-it-takes-you-to-zone minimum. Overall, this change would result in longer delays overtime.

I posted more in-length on the regular forum, but it is now going to be a total pain in the ass getting any replacements/groups started in the MM/Unrest areas. Everyone hangs out in FP or nearby. I had at least 3+ people decline group offers in MM last night on the sole basis that travel now takes too long.

Tollen
11-24-2009, 01:27 PM

one advantage to this is it would be just like the boat, when you use the boat to go to OOT you just stay on the boat to get to BB not wait 10-13m and it would help the evil people seen how a group member died last night cause we had to wait.

just my 2c. I don't mind the way it is cause I don't get attacked unless I try and help a evil group mate (I had to /q when I saw him die cause they started to run to me)

Humerox
11-24-2009, 02:22 PM
I feel that if the boats can be fixed, that would be ideal. In the interim, the translocators should remain insta, imo. At least until there is a larger porting population.

We're all die-hards, that's why we're here. But that's an unnecessary time-sink that may drive some people away, and I want to see more people on the server...not less.

Just sayin. I'll be here no matter what, lol. :D

Slayn
11-24-2009, 04:43 PM
While I understand that porting classes are the most affected due to the boats, how much business are they actually losing? There are what, 200 people online on average? I am guessing that more than half of everyone on the server is in a guild who has porting classes that port for free. It seems that any profit that can be made off of porting strangers for 20pp is minuscule at best.

The immersion factor in translocators is absent either way. With the previous set up, the whole boating scene is skipped entirely. With the new one, the boating scene is still skipped, except it is now a time sink.

While it appears to some to be a clever emulation of boats, it seems that there is no immersion in the new setup. Sitting on the dock waiting for 20 minutes to be instantly ported to the next for another wait does not even compare to riding aboard the Maidens Voyage and watching the islands fade away in the distance, or sailing into Firona Vie for the first time, or cruising past icebergs on a gnomish steamboat in Iceclad.

Personally, I think the previous set up makes up for the absence of the boating immersion factor, and I think it should be reinstated as it was until boats function properly.

Slayn

Kreigore
11-24-2009, 06:33 PM
one advantage to this is it would be just like the boat, when you use the boat to go to OOT you just stay on the boat to get to BB not wait 10-13m and it would help the evil people seen how a group member died last night cause we had to wait.

just my 2c. I don't mind the way it is cause I don't get attacked unless I try and help a evil group mate (I had to /q when I saw him die cause they started to run to me)

Sorry again, Tollen. You did save my ass with Selo's as we ran around for 5 minutes until a nice necromancer killed the two Wood Elves that aggroed me (us).

Torrinn
11-26-2009, 01:12 PM
Seems to me to be a pointless timesink. The thing that made boats cool was riding on the boat, not waiting around for half an hour. I think we're all past the point where we need to feel like the world is huge for immersion purposes. Besides, the world will feel plenty huge if the population is stagnant by the time Kunark comes out.

Exactly. The appeal of riding the boats was the ride itself, not the time it took to get to where you were going. If the boats are FUBAR, then give us translocators that allow us to travel whenever we want instead of making us stand on the docks waiting for him to pop.

Torrinn
11-26-2009, 01:34 PM
I have seen the Translocators at the BB docks abused by using them as a zoneline. Not much risk involved when you can run to an npc and spawn a hotkey and instantly zone. Making them not port if in combat would fix that.

Oh, and how do you handle wandering mobs? If a red mob aggros you while you are waiting for a tl or on your way to the tl, you should just be allowed to die with xp loss and possibly a long corpse run? Some players training to the tl is something that we will have to live with because the waiting is pointless. The benefits of the tl being there when you need it far outweigh the potential abuses by a few players.

Dabamf
11-26-2009, 08:33 PM
The issue is this: timed TLs are more "classic," yes, but it is a matter of whether or not devs wanna see gameplay end up much LESS classic as a result. It simply makes the "I'm not sure it's worth it to travel 20 min to that MM group" consideration turn into "no effing way." All this talk about classic-this classic-that, well groups were pretty well spread out throughout all dungeons, no matter how good (guk) or how much they sucked (befallen). Due to the population, groups are concentrated in key areas. I know you guys don't want this, you mentioned it when talking about sola exp and replicating the bonus to other dungeons. But the simple fact is that having timed TLs are making the gameplay decidedly LESS classic due to how it interacts with a low population.

For example, everyone and their mother between 12 and 18 are in oasis. Oasis was always a popular zone, but you had other options in 1999. But here, due to the population, you usually don't have any other options. Unrest is an option sometimes, but it's not reliable in any way.. So any, say, mistmoore group, is gonna have to recruit people from oasis. That extra time is enough to make potential group makes say "naa too far."

Currently the vast majority of players are focused in a few key zones. Oasis, sola, solb, and now on occasion guk. It's pretty rare to even have a MM group formed (though not exceedingly rare) even with instant TLs. What I've noticed since the timed TLs are in, is that I very rarely see MM groups formed anymore. It was already a borderline "is it worth it?" consideration with instant TLs, and has now turned into "hell no."

So the issue is this. In classic EQ you had multiple options for where to level. This was a key aspect of gameplay. In P1999 you have much fewer options due to the population. Adding timed TLs is more "classic EQ", but the result of it is a decidedly LESS classic gameplay. That is, the reduction in grouping options since people are much much less likely to leave their comfy boring oasis group to join a MM group that might break up 20 minutes after they arrive. We're not talking about nexus books here...the instant TLs didn't make the trip convenient in any way...just not as often inconvenient enough to totally remove any motivation to travel across the ocean.

guineapig
11-27-2009, 08:24 AM
I'm I the only one that remembers the fact that boats were broken like 50% of the time anyway? And when they were, we had access to translocators 24/7. That's how it was then so if the boats are broken, that's how it should be now.

EDIT: If we must keep the time sink then I think people would be much happier if you didn't have to wait on the islands, that's where people are getting killed constantly. Keep the OOT and Erud's Crossing TL's up all the time and just have the mainland TLs be on timers.

tycho100
11-27-2009, 09:10 AM
Agreed guineapig - at least the islands should be always up.

Overall, I think it should be up all the time - the boats were fine because (as others have said) you got to ride the boat and could use it to jump off at certain points if you wanted. Given that the boats don't work, up all the time would take the pain out of it.

Cribanox
11-28-2009, 01:07 AM
The issue is this: timed TLs are more "classic," yes, but it is a matter of whether or not devs wanna see gameplay end up much LESS classic as a result. It simply makes the "I'm not sure it's worth it to travel 20 min to that MM group" consideration turn into "no effing way." All this talk about classic-this classic-that, well groups were pretty well spread out throughout all dungeons, no matter how good (guk) or how much they sucked (befallen). Due to the population, groups are concentrated in key areas. I know you guys don't want this, you mentioned it when talking about sola exp and replicating the bonus to other dungeons. But the simple fact is that having timed TLs are making the gameplay decidedly LESS classic due to how it interacts with a low population.

For example, everyone and their mother between 12 and 18 are in oasis. Oasis was always a popular zone, but you had other options in 1999. But here, due to the population, you usually don't have any other options. Unrest is an option sometimes, but it's not reliable in any way.. So any, say, mistmoore group, is gonna have to recruit people from oasis. That extra time is enough to make potential group makes say "naa too far."

Currently the vast majority of players are focused in a few key zones. Oasis, sola, solb, and now on occasion guk. It's pretty rare to even have a MM group formed (though not exceedingly rare) even with instant TLs. What I've noticed since the timed TLs are in, is that I very rarely see MM groups formed anymore. It was already a borderline "is it worth it?" consideration with instant TLs, and has now turned into "hell no."

So the issue is this. In classic EQ you had multiple options for where to level. This was a key aspect of gameplay. In P1999 you have much fewer options due to the population. Adding timed TLs is more "classic EQ", but the result of it is a decidedly LESS classic gameplay. That is, the reduction in grouping options since people are much much less likely to leave their comfy boring oasis group to join a MM group that might break up 20 minutes after they arrive. We're not talking about nexus books here...the instant TLs didn't make the trip convenient in any way...just not as often inconvenient enough to totally remove any motivation to travel across the ocean.

THIS

Kreigore
11-28-2009, 05:52 PM

Bubbles
11-29-2009, 07:15 PM

Winner winner chicken dinner.

1. ) Wizards are pretty non-existant.

2. ) Druids are't pulling their weight.

3. ) If you can #zone, you really shouldn't be making this decision for others.

4. ) Your FP melees headed for Mistmoore/Unrest already got another time sink on their hands trying to get bound in Kaladim/GF on their way to MM/Unrest.

Clueglue
11-29-2009, 07:17 PM
I assume this change was made due to people using translocators as a way to escape death while fighting guards in BB. An easy fix: Don't let people translocate while in combat.

President
11-29-2009, 07:22 PM
I'm glad I finally out leveled the MM entrance. I liked it, quick fighting, good xp, low risk.

However, after the TL change, it was a NIGHTMARE to get replacements.

I wish they would go back to how they were.

aVoided
11-29-2009, 09:56 PM
20 mins? I waited 15 mins for the transloacator in freeport. I pop into OOT only to watch the translocator there poof before me... wait yet another round for him to respawn.. what was it 23mins? Sucked. So total of 38 ish minutes. and that doesn't even include the run time to get to where i was going. So if you are getting replacements to MM in 20 mins grats to you :P

classic it is though i guess hehe

Torrinn
11-29-2009, 11:01 PM
I assume this change was made due to people using translocators as a way to escape death while fighting guards in BB. An easy fix: Don't let people translocate while in combat.

Again I say, what about the red mob who randomly wanders by while you're waiting for the tl to pop or the one who jumps you while en route to the tl? Those people should die with XP loss and possibly a difficult CR just because you say they should? You'll be saying that right up until the moment it happens to you then you'll be cursing the devs for not making the tl's 24/7.

jawtoe
11-29-2009, 11:03 PM
Here's an idea.
Put a structure out in the water away from any NPC's on land at all of the translocator points (this is where you'll port to, to simulate the option that evil races had to jump off the boat before docking to avoid aggro). If the structure doesn't have a bridge to reach it, then you could have a translocator in the original spot to teleport to the safe-dock area and back)
Have the translocators up for maybe 3 or 4 minutes at a time, and have them respawn every 10 minutes max.
Maybe even make this structure out in the water one of the old boat models - but make it stationary and stable. Have the translocator on the timer spawn ON the boat.
Juzzt some thoughts. But I do like the idea of having to wait to travel. It shouldn't be instant. Travel times were part of the cost of being a melee class, it's also a social game - make friends with a porter or make a deal with someone where you each have a porter class as a secondary character so that you can port each other.
The time sink argument doesn't feel right to me. Regenerating after a battle is a "time sink", maybe we should all heal like in Live, where once you're sitting for a min you regen like 5% hp per tick no matter how many hit points you actually have. No, the game itself is a time sink. or what you're all calling time sinks are just the mechanics of balance in this particular game. If you want different rules, you really want a different game, but haven't realized it yet.

Torrinn
11-29-2009, 11:06 PM
Continuing my post as I was editing it when the power went out this morning...

This this changes:

1) encourages us to learn how to fish (gawd knows I need to train it) :)

2) makes the trip more challenging for evil races - which is as it should be (you didn't think those stats/regen were free did you?).

3) quests in the area that were made when traveling was slower to now function again.

4) further increases the value of ports like druids and wizards (there will be more porters when/if this goes into effect)

Having said all that... do we have the population to help compensate for the downtime? Back in 1999 there were more people, and more porters. That had to reduce the frustration somewhat. Additionally, traveling on the boat was fun the first few times (or fun everytime if you're like me). Translocaters are not boats and shouldn't be confused with them - they're not fun in the same way.

I really don't think it's a problem though. I know people complain, but if you're making the trip that often then you should rethink your plans. I'm absolutely honest when I say that traveling from one continent to another is something I do very, very rarely (haven't done it yet). So having to wait is not a problem for me. Instead, it's an opportunity to get a fishing pole and fish while I wait. Now, if I was bound in freeport and hunting in OOT, it might get me mad. But overall, I think most of the population will rarely use the boats/translocaters. If anything, this mechanic will decrease the numbers of people that hunt in OOT or zones that're in the path of the boat/translocater. I expect casters to still go to those zones since they can bind in them without having to translocate.

And before anyone tells me I don't know what I"m talking about.... I do. I played when everyone used boats. I had to take a boat to get to get to velious. I had to take a boat to get to erud's crossing and erudin (which I did several times in my career). I took the boat from freeport to faydwer as well (even tho my corpse was lost at sea because of a boat bug). I did lots of fishing. I remember it very well.

Btw, the need for binds has already pushed me to make a druid alt. That's one more future porter at your service.

And when everyone rolls up a porting alt like you say, the price of ports will drop because of competition so not leaving the tl up 24/7 does nothing to protect the income of the porting classes, it makes it worse. When everyone can port it will do to the value of a port what the PoK books did to them. Drop it to nothing.

jawtoe
11-29-2009, 11:12 PM
And when everyone rolls up a porting alt like you say, the price of ports will drop because of competition so not leaving the tl up 24/7 does nothing to protect the income of the porting classes, it makes it worse. When everyone can port it will do to the value of a port what the PoK books did to them. Drop it to nothing.

This isn't something worth worrying about. Yes it's an option that everyone roll porting alt's, but MOST people don't have the time for that or don't care to. People who are willing to level a porting class to 29 might become a little more common, but not by much. It just so happens that one of the two porting classes (druids) are one of the few really good soloing classes. On a server with a small population, these solo classes are also going to be more common.

magic
11-30-2009, 12:12 AM
Wizards are also an amazing solo class. Once they get jboots they can quad kite their way to victory. Ice Comet / Root / Diamondskin allows for a lot of solo farming potential

Insidious
11-30-2009, 06:22 PM

Nail on the head

Morfnblorsh
11-30-2009, 06:30 PM
May as well just get used to it.

Magmert
01-24-2010, 01:42 PM
I agree with the results of the translocator polls , they should run all the time.

But if you want to go classic, bring the boats back! All though, they where always glichy.

ssyrax82
01-24-2010, 01:57 PM
I like Transolcators the way they are, or actual boats... It takes just as long as it would have to ride the boat, and that's fine with me. ohh wait, I'm a druid, I don't ride the boats anymore... forget me .

Taminy
01-24-2010, 02:07 PM
No boat = permanent TLer. How it was on live.

I think this was mentioned already.

Saltinecracker
01-24-2010, 02:43 PM
Keep the translocators up full time and let them port ... if there isnt a boat....riding a boat was ok .. but waiting for the translocator(boat) to spawn while looking at the same sister in Ocean of tears sucks...specially when you travel there and then get spawned with your back facing the sister and she is kos ...then you die ...lol thats always fun ... but my vote is keep them running full time .. the server cant be fully classic and traveling isnt fun anyway...so keep them up so there is less boring time and more fun time

Steam65641
01-24-2010, 02:56 PM
I do dont agree that when you use it to go to OOT that it spawns you infront of the KoS sister so she can own you. In live you could jump off the boat before you got there. So, I believe the spawn location for the zone in should be at the end of the dock, where it is safe.

I do not agree with changing it to where they always port because this is a LEGIT classic server. The only one I have found. Changing this would make it NON legit. Let the tanslocator's always be spawned but only port every 15 mins and do a zone wide when they start so everyone knows they are working. Changing this to where it always works will take out the pleassure of having a port class.

To everyone whining about the boat taking time.. Welcome to Everquest.. Where you wait on the boat..

Thanks
-Icoa

Taminy
01-24-2010, 03:22 PM
I do not agree with changing it to where they always port because this is a LEGIT classic server. The only one I have found. Changing this would make it NON legit. Let the tanslocator's always be spawned but only port every 15 mins and do a zone wide when they start so everyone knows they are working.

But that is NON-legit. On live when the boats did not work, TLers were always up and always porting.

Changing this to where it always works will take out the pleassure of having a port class.

How so? A non-porter still has to run to EFP then get ported to BB. Or Qeynos to Tox. There will still be a very high demand for porting.

To everyone whining about the boat taking time.. Welcome to Everquest.. Where you wait on the boat..

Thanks
-Icoa

Wait on the boat yes, wait on a TLer no.

Steam65641
01-24-2010, 03:27 PM
But. If you wait on the docks long enough the boat does come.. its just in its secret human form.

Steam65641
01-24-2010, 03:28 PM
also, what you are saying about waiting on a boat yes. waiting on TL no. What is the frigging difference?.. The TL is on here to resemble the boat.

Incredible
01-24-2010, 03:40 PM
What will be the result of this poll?

Danth
01-24-2010, 03:40 PM
'What is the frigging difference?'

The difference is the ship ride itself, which is the entire point of having the ships. The present system emulates the bad (the waiting) while wholly eliminating the good (the ride). At the very best the TL wait makes for a poor substitute.

Danth

Taminy
01-24-2010, 03:47 PM
also, what you are saying about waiting on a boat yes. waiting on TL no. What is the frigging difference?.. The TL is on here to resemble the boat.

I'm saying that in 1999, 2000, 2001 etc if the boats were broken Sony/Verant put the TLers up 24/7.

Steam65641
01-24-2010, 04:04 PM
.. well.... i am depressed.. i miss my gnome mage...

Outbound
01-24-2010, 04:10 PM
Waiting on the boat/TLer is the classic experence. You sat on the dock forever then sat on the boat forever... At least the way it is now, you only have half the wait. Ive run to the docks in FP, TLer was there. landed in OOT, TLER was there... Took 2 quick zones and I was in BBM. This should be the exception, not the rule. The insta TLer is just plain lazy. The only issue I have is that evils traveling through OOT are dropped with a KOS Sister between them and the OOT TLer. At least with boats, we could hide from them on the far side of the boat, and didn't need an invis to get to the TLer.

Taminy
01-24-2010, 05:11 PM
Waiting on the boat/TLer is the classic experence. You sat on the dock forever then sat on the boat forever... At least the way it is now, you only have half the wait. Ive run to the docks in FP, TLer was there. landed in OOT, TLER was there... Took 2 quick zones and I was in BBM. This should be the exception, not the rule. The insta TLer is just plain lazy. The only issue I have is that evils traveling through OOT are dropped with a KOS Sister between them and the OOT TLer. At least with boats, we could hide from them on the far side of the boat, and didn't need an invis to get to the TLer.

Again in classic on live, when the boats were broken you had TLers 24/7.

Akim
01-24-2010, 05:21 PM
In all honesty nobody should be made to do nothing in a game for 20 minutes when most of us barely have the time to log in an hour or two a night.

here here!

guineapig
01-24-2010, 05:23 PM
Again in classic on live, when the boats were broken you had TLers 24/7.

I've pointed this out before too. TLs on a time is NOT classic, 24/7 TLs when boat is broken is classic.

Estolcles
02-05-2010, 03:44 AM
The boats were part of the reason why the various languages were part of the game. Anyone else remember joining boat groups to learn various other languages during the rides? Made for fun RP.

Murphy
02-05-2010, 10:15 AM
Though I don't really mind the TLers and their timers much, it's pretty harsh on dark races to pop up on sister island and be splattered, whereas i suppose on a boat they could have invised up or whatever before the trip and avoided them, but you can't TL without being uninvis.

Shads
02-05-2010, 10:27 AM
Though I don't really mind the TLers and their timers much, it's pretty harsh on dark races to pop up on sister island and be splattered, whereas i suppose on a boat they could have invised up or whatever before the trip and avoided them, but you can't TL without being uninvis.

Wrong, Translocator will teleport you while you are invis.

Murphy
02-05-2010, 11:04 AM
If that was changed that's pretty sweet...If i were to do anything I'd make the boats STATIC in their zones, and put the translocators on the boats...assuming the boats had collision detection. That'd still allow for some stowaways or unfortunates to bypass some kos monsters and you'd have that great boat model.

Tristin
02-07-2010, 01:54 AM
I think TLs should be up all the time. I am not a casual player, but a lot of people here are and if you only have half an hour to do somthing 15 mins should not have to be spent waiting on someone to pop and send you on your way.

L2Phantom
02-07-2010, 09:36 PM
Yep, I think it is a pointless time sink personally. It won't make it any less classic to just keep them there full-time IMO.

izikiel
02-22-2010, 05:54 AM
distance meant something in eqclassic, lets leave em as it is please.

Hasbinbad
02-22-2010, 12:31 PM
all of you babies whining ...
just get over it, if they change it that would eliminate the point of having seperate continents..

You guys will just whine about ANYTHING won't you?!?

Aadill
02-22-2010, 12:48 PM
As much as I loathe waiting for the TLers, it really brings back the immersion that EQ offered back in the day. It's a different world when traveling that far actually means something - you're more aware of dying and you always have to carry supplies.

As far as "casual gamers" go, you're playing a hell of a harsh game to expect to get much done in 30 minutes.

With that said, I'd prefer if the boats were back, despite the problems they had. Nothing beats a nice calming fishing trip on the boat to Iceclad Ocean only to get smashed by frost giants and have to run back from Qeynos.

Morfnblorsh
02-22-2010, 12:55 PM
I actually enjoy the wait, even if it's not on a boat. Sure it can be tedious, but it gives me time to look through my bags, grab some buffs, sell off anything I might not need that's unknowingly weighing me down, play the auction channel, buy food and water, screw around a bit in OOT, check vendors.

All kinds of stuff I normally wouldn't be able to wind-down and do if I was constantly "in the zone" so to speak.

Danior
02-22-2010, 04:54 PM
Having played for a few days now I'd love to just see a shout, instant travel between continents would be nice, but I think the separation between landmasses really adds something (and is expected given the servers ruleset)

You have to consider your choices and can't bail easily on one group for another. I've hear a number of people say how nice it is that you don't mind the 30 minute travel time when groups are generally together for multiple hours in the same area.

This is definitely the closest to my original EQ experience I've had and I agree with some that something would be missing if not for the intentional Time To Travel.

I see both sides of the argument, and each are valid depending on what you take away from your experience. But personally a zone wide shout would be a better compromise so you can make the best use of your time.

Cheers :)

Eyry
06-03-2010, 12:45 PM
Find a way to fix the boats.

pickled_heretic
06-03-2010, 01:38 PM
the wait at sister island is brutal and not classic.... keep the wait times for bb/fp by all means but please increase the frequency of the OOT TL.

Elendae
06-03-2010, 02:13 PM
holy hell, how about we don't bump polls from 7 months ago.

Alleusion
06-03-2010, 03:35 PM
Just at a quick glance, this line has some issues:

if (($sirens ==39) &&($sirens >=39) && ($sirens <=59)){ ##Oot

The only condition that would match this would be when sirens is equal to 39. I'm thinking what it should be, if I understand the code properly, is this:

if (($sirens >=39) && ($sirens <=59)){ ##Oot

Meaning when the variable is between 39 and 59, inclusive.

Otherwise you're saying when sirens is 39 AND when sirens is greater than or equal to 39 AND when sirens is less than or equal to 59. Like I said, only a value of 39 would return true.

Kluren
06-03-2010, 07:50 PM
The actual intent of the server is to recreate 1999 as closely as we possibly can. Failing that, temporary work arounds are required to maintain playability. If the boats can be rescripted, so shall it be....

Thank you, Aeolwind. Being a classic veteran I would only have to agree.

r0xx0r
06-04-2010, 03:06 PM
the way it is will have to suffice for me, atleast until they're able to correct the boat issues, having the translocator always up and available to port is EZ mode imho- and just retarded and lame and wow-like.
my 2cents

manhatten

Phildorex
06-05-2010, 12:09 PM
Definitely do not keep TLs up full time - not classic. Fix the boats if possible. Otherwise, leave it as it is.

Dohk
06-05-2010, 12:15 PM
I agree... time is valuable. I see no down side to having the translocators up 24/7. This is a good move for the community.

Cheers!
Luun Etunes

Kluren
06-05-2010, 12:51 PM
Definitely do not keep TLs up full time - not classic. Fix the boats if possible. Otherwise, leave it as it is.

You are 100% correct. This server is trying to recreate classic everquest as much as possible. What you just said makes the most sense.

Kluren
06-05-2010, 12:53 PM
I agree... time is valuable. I see no down side to having the translocators up 24/7. This is a good move for the community.

Cheers!
Luun Etunes

Umm... yes. Time is valuable. That is why you *don't* have them up 24/7. It makes time even that much more valuable! Let's keep the challenge in classic Everquest.

No World of Warcraft....please.

Keldroth999
06-06-2010, 01:54 PM
Instead of naked humans, make the translocator look like a boat. And instead of being named translocator, it can have a boat name. It still teleports you and you still have to talk to it, which is weird since boats dont talk but at least you get to go to the docks and see a boat in the water.

Teeny
06-06-2010, 05:07 PM
Not to mention the evil races, if we port in we are instantly attacked by the lady at the docks, in original as long as you stayed on the boat you could seem-lessly take the boat, w/out getting attacked, as it stands, unless you got invis or feign at lower levels you can't take them w/out that higher level druid attacking you. I learned that the hard way on my bertoxx worshipping necro. Luckily I had invis so i was able to port over and drag my body. If I hadn't had invis I may have quit playing.

Puyen
10-11-2010, 12:03 PM
Boat travel and having to find a porting class to send you on your ways is an important part of classic. Instant travel defeats playing a Druid for some as well as takes away from the realistic part of the game.

If TLs existed I would expect a wait time or some task need be performed in order for the npc to even offer you a TP. Something Other then free instant transports.

Extunarian
10-11-2010, 12:32 PM
This poll was put up before boats were implemented on the server. It's really not relevant anymore.

Stumpes
03-30-2011, 04:21 PM
Unless the boat from BB to FV is fixed, I believe a translocator needs to be placed there. Maybe make it work kind of like the teleporters in the nexus where they only go off every 15minutes or so?

It is very hard to get my High Elf too and from Kunark without the use of boats. There are not enough active druids/wizzys porting.