PDA

View Full Version : /w count all i.e. Search Commands

aubie
07-04-2013, 03:49 PM
Almost hate to start a new thread as I'm sure it's been discussed, but couldn't find on search.

My Question:

"Is there an ingame search command that will allow you to query a zone and know if anyone is in the zone regardless if they are /anon or /role?"

/w all <zonename> only shows non-anon and non-role results.

/w count all <zonename> is no different as far as I can tell.

I don't really care who is in the zone, I'd just like to know if ANYONE is in the zone. Sucks to query zones where the population is usually low, but may have a nice off the wall camp, only to decide to go there after a query doesn't reveal anyone in the zone and find 2 or 3 /anon or /role 60 level characters already in zone camping anything worthwhile.

Thulack
07-04-2013, 04:08 PM
No there is not.

Rhambuk
07-04-2013, 04:19 PM
No there is not.

Thankfully, would be nice before running all the way out there to know whether or not someone is probably camping what your after but it would be a horrible mess.

Tasslehofp99
07-04-2013, 05:24 PM
Can always just find 1 person in the zone and ask them to do a camp check.

aubie
07-04-2013, 06:25 PM
Thankfully, would be nice before running all the way out there to know whether or not someone is probably camping what your after but it would be a horrible mess.

How would it be a mess? I'm not asking for names in zone, just numbers. As in /w count all paladin 60

There are 4 players in game.

So, /w count all permafrost

There are 2 players in zone.

No names, classes or levels; you just know not to waste your time running to permafrost.

Asking a player in zone works, but when you do /w all permafrost and get zero results, there is no one to ask until you zone in and see about 2 - 4 /anon in zone.

I know it's not classic, I just don't see the point of not including a way to not waste time.

Rhambuk
07-04-2013, 06:27 PM
ok thats not a big deal. and im not sure exactly how it would be a mess but i could imagine soandso from uberguild seeing competitor from uber guild in zone and wanting to go mess with them.

might be a stretch but more ridiculous things have happened here

Wudan
07-05-2013, 07:29 AM
I too hate all the idiots who camp Droga while being anon/rp

Briscoe
07-05-2013, 08:58 AM

I was about to say...I refer to this as the Droga Effect. And on more than one occasion when I was in Droga, I had someone at the other camp bug me to go /anon with him. I don't get it.

Rhambuk
07-05-2013, 09:00 AM
I was about to say...I refer to this as the Droga Effect. And on more than one occasion when I was in Droga, I had someone at the other camp bug me to go /anon with him. I don't get it.

that's weird....

Briscoe
07-05-2013, 09:16 AM
There's only three reasons I can come up with that could motivate these people to sit /anon in a zone like Droga:

1.) They derive a twisted pleasure from seeing some poor bastard travel an appreciable distance to a zone he thinks is empty, only to find every camp already taken.

2.) They think that they can mitigate future competition for these camps by staying /anon and having #1 occur at a frequency sufficient to deter someone from deciding to travel to the zone.

(This is somewhat reminiscent of the tactic of purposefully killing the tainted seafury cyclops in OOT to spawn the corrupted, hoping this drives people off the island. Yes, people actually do this.)

3.) They are /anon for the standard reason of being a class that gets bugged frequently, for example a druid (ports) or a cleric (rezzes). However, I can say that having spent hundreds upon hundreds of hours in Droga, all of them not /anon, not once was I ever bugged for a port. So I never felt like I needed to be /anon to avoid people.

webrunner5
07-05-2013, 09:16 AM
I hate people that go /anon. I know I do at times /role as a Druid to not get bugged in a group as a healer for ports 50 times, but what the hell does a Rogue or Paladin need to be?? /anon had to be the dumbest idea ever put in the game. :mad:

t0lkien
07-05-2013, 09:25 AM
To avoid stalkers, which happened a lot on live. People are weird, and it was a tool to allow people (especially women players) some control over obsessive douche-bags.

Reguiy
07-05-2013, 10:18 AM
I urge all people who have camp claims to take off anon/role. Everyone's life would be much easier.

Reguiy
07-05-2013, 10:23 AM

This. These are also the same people who whisper me and ask what is camped while I am down there. Now that I think about it, anyone who asks for an out of zone cc will not get a response if their anon is on.

Spitty
07-05-2013, 03:36 PM
Anon is pretty goddamn useful when you're practically having to run errands for the next person who wants your camp.

"Are you at king?"

"Yeah."

"Cool, can you let me know when you leave?"

"Sure."

"Awesome. I'll be on my alt, Bizarre_name_01."

"Ok."

"Unless it's after 10 EST, then I'll be on my guild tracker, lIiiLIIiliilILi."

"Uh, ok."

"I might also have to log to my trader, 0o000o0o0oo000oo0o0o, if someone responds to my EC thread."

"How about you stop fucking up my day and check back with me in 3 hours?"

"That seems like a lot of work..."

Growlers
07-05-2013, 04:00 PM
Anon is pretty goddamn useful when you're practically having to run errands for the next person who wants your camp.

"Are you at king?"

"Yeah."

"Sure."

"Ok."

"Uh, ok."

"I might also have to log to my trader, 0o000o0o0oo000oo0o0o, if someone responds to my EC thread."

Ha!

SirSmithington
07-05-2013, 06:05 PM

"Are you at king?"

"Yeah."

"Sure."

"Ok."

"Uh, ok."

Simple solution here that doesn't involve anon...politely say no.

Seems the main reason for being anon is hyper competitiveness and how secrecy helps toward that end. I bet many people would prefer the wiki be taken down to protect their secret knowledge if they could.

Nothing quite like actions that show that you enjoy the game so much that you want to make sure others don't get the chance--it's my camp, my zone, my mob and the rest of you be damned!

I'd like to think most people are helpful, but I am sure many feel the need to counter other people's secrecy by being secretive themselves. It is both sad and pathetic to see those few individuals that derive their primary enjoyment from depriving others in order to maintain exclusivity and bragging rights.

Spitty
07-05-2013, 06:26 PM
The juxtaposition of your vehement complaining about people being unhelpful against telling me to "politely say no" is fucking hilarious.

If you have to run to a zone or have someone do a camp check to see if your most-favorite-thing is camped - tough goddamn shit. I likely had to do the same fucking thing half a dozen times before I found an uncamped spot and you don't see me fagging up the boards with this kind of ridiculous limpdick posturing.

I'll still let you know when the camp opens up, though.

Waedawen
07-05-2013, 10:11 PM
I urge all people who have camp claims to take off anon/role. Everyone's life would be much easier.

That's not classic

At all.

webrunner5
07-05-2013, 11:19 PM
The juxtaposition of your vehement complaining about people being unhelpful against telling me to "politely say no" is fucking hilarious.

If you have to run to a zone or have someone do a camp check to see if your most-favorite-thing is camped - tough goddamn shit. I likely had to do the same fucking thing half a dozen times before I found an uncamped spot and you don't see me fagging up the boards with this kind of ridiculous limpdick posturing.

Wow, Spitty... You do know there are "Anger Management" classes around. :eek: But I do like your post and word usage. ;) The first sentance is just awesome. I laugh more everytime I read your reply. Great stuff.

Rhambuk
07-05-2013, 11:27 PM
Wow, Spitty... You do know there are "Anger Management" classes around. :eek: But I do like your post and word usage. ;) The first sentance is just awesome. I laugh more everytime I read your reply. Great stuff.

its glorious

Swish
07-06-2013, 12:01 PM

I completely agree. When doing Highkeep nobles on my necro I take off a hidden tag if I had one on (not that necros really have a good reason to put one on anyway). That way I'm giving and taking.

I'm giving you the information that I'm in there and partying hard, but I'm also not risking someone turning up unannounced and saying "sooo, what about those bard spawns?" as they wouldn't want to have run from EC/wherever for nothing.

Makes sense for both parties, and reduces camp dramas.

Reguiy
07-06-2013, 12:12 PM

Did the anon/role button rape your mother and kill your father?

anotherone
07-06-2013, 01:05 PM

"Are you at king?"

"Yeah."

"Sure."

"Ok."

"Uh, ok."

I love everything about this post.

webrunner5
07-07-2013, 06:58 AM
Yeah Spitty comes up with some damn funny stuff. :D Would read again. A+.