PDA

View Full Version : Dungeon soloing 1-50

skacat
07-07-2013, 02:59 AM
One of the things I really like about P99 is stuff like the solo challenge, and leveling guides that take you through all of Norrath.

I always thought the dungeons of classic EQ were much cooler than the outdoor areas, though I appreciated the feeling of remoteness of the dungeons and the trips there and back.

Since I play in an off timezone and on red, grouping is basically a non-option for leveling up. I've been playing some classes that solo well outdoors, but I want to spend some time in some dungeons.

What classes and dungeons would you recommend? Mostly looking for fun rather than epic ZEM or lewtz.

Thinking about making a necromancer and doing befallen from 8-16 until FD, and after that I'm guessing there'd be more options. Maybe Najena after that for awhile. Enchanter also seems like a possible option, but maybe some enchys can weigh in. Mage? I never spent much time in guk on classic and would like to get to know that place better as well.

Kekephee
07-07-2013, 03:10 AM
I know on my necro I had a lot of fun soloing the little hallway in front of the BR in Lguk from like 36-41 (off and on); It's tricky and you eat a lot of deaths at the hands of trains or root resists, but it just feels so good to be back in Lguk and able to take my time and do it on my terms. I'm pretty sure I can probably start working other camps now, but I'm gonna wait until 44. Probably start rolling ass/sup or cav.

webrunner5
07-07-2013, 06:22 AM
Enchanter would be the best way to go. They can pretty much do anything. But they are a lot of work to make it happen with a charmed pet.

Probably Necro next. But you would have to root rot mobs. Sure can't kite in dungeons. But that uses a lot of mana. FD nice to have but not a sure thing with casters and there is a lot of them in dungeons.

I would also consider a Bard if you can twist well. But if you can't do 3 to 4 songs on average you will die a lot.

Mage has really no crowd control except Earth pet which works sometimes and doesn't. I would pass on one soloing dungeons.

Shaman at higher level with better root is not too bad. But not really going to break up big camps day after day without dying a lot.

Sk, Monk could almost work with FD but harder to split now with the nerf. Lot of down time on both healing up. Then the mobs repop and wham.

I would really suggest the Enchanter or Necro. The main reason for it is gate. You can bind yourself in a safe place and just gate out when you are finished. With a class that can't gate you would have to fight your way all the way out and the deeper you get into dungeons usually the harder they get. Not fun.

Druids, Rangers are a outdoor class so I think they would be out. But some dungeons are outdoor zones so Harmony and snare could be nice to have.

skacat
07-07-2013, 07:47 AM
I played a bard on live and I wouldn't have chosen a bard for indoor soloing. Mostly because they just don't have the HP to take on mobs that con blue to them up close like that, but I haven't thought about some possibilities like fear kiting indoors, which you might be able to do with the short cool-off if you know the pathing right. possibly charm mobs to move them back to where you want to fight. but in general I got my ass whipped by blue mobs standing toe to toe on classic. Twisting 3-4 songs is no problem to me, but I'd be curious what songs you think would make that possible.

I'm not necessarily looking for 100% efficiency here either, just something that would be able to at least get some XP slowly and do a little crawling. Probably need to pick between the ench and necro, seems like maybe the ench would work in a wider range of situations, probably just plan on dying quite a bit on charm breaks and stuff, but hey, dyings no big deal if you're bound at the entrance.

Necro seems more survivable to me still though. Probably need to check out the enchanter spells and see if they get enough spells by around 12-16 to make this possible. Enchanter would be nice for the solo aspect I'll be going for, as I might be near unfriendly cities a lot as a necro and not a lot of folks online to buy food and other necessities from.

runlvlzero
07-07-2013, 08:09 AM
Enchanter #1... a really well twinked SK can solo in guk. Cleric can solo in guk but slower then molasus. Pally super twinked.

If you want even a chance of soloing anywhere else your going to want that chanter or necro. Shams and mages and wiz can handle a bit of nurga probably. etc... depending on camp... sometimes with a wiz you can root 3 mobs, nuke, reroot camp, or gate out. Mage is a bit more reliable and they have ways to break camps (chain pet summoning), or plain ol'e sick pet, and nuke (sometimes you can break a 3 spawn that way).

Any class can solo lots of stuff at 60 with epics. But to level inside, your stuck with ench, necro, sham, mage, druid. Probably in that order. Druids can root root indoors or pull the wizzy trick of root, nuke, root, camp like above. Always a necro or ench down at frenzy soloing. Druids have been known to solo the froglok king though and other tough camps including frenzy.

I have seen mages soloing in solb, bugs, etc... its not to hard to crawl najena on a mage.

Rhambuk
07-07-2013, 08:18 AM
the FUNNEST dungeons in my opinion, as far as lore and feel go not exp loot etc, would have to be unrest, ltoct, dalnir, uhh i guess thats it off the top of my head the rest are just different colored hallways and rooms to me.

skacat
07-07-2013, 08:20 AM
Alright, ench it is.

What do you think would be a good progression of dungeons to visit?

Thinking either Erudite or DE Ench..

maybe something like

Blackburrow
Befallen?
Upper Guk
Highpass
Mistmoore
Sol A
Lower Guk

Maybe people more familiar with what an untwinked ench could pull off can weigh in. Also I never really hunted in Najena or Splitpaw on classic. Would be interested in a nice order to visit all the major spots. Kunark suggestions welcome also. I think all the low level dungeons are unpopulated enough that even when there's groups around there'd be plenty to solo. Would be nice to get a nice progression with a new dungeon every 4-6 levels.

SirAlvarex
07-07-2013, 09:41 AM
If you want the "All Dungeon Challenge", might have to do something like:
1-4 Qeynos Catacombs
4-16 Blackburrow (might be too slow 14-16 tho)
16-25 Upper Guk
25-35 Unrest
35-40 Splitpaw/Mistmoore
-- I did a similar progression as above with my Shaman, except I took a break from 20-30 to do outdoor zones. Unrest Basement was amazing XP from 30-35.
40-50 Lower Guk?/City of Mist/Nurga Maybe?
Then you'd have KC/HS/Seb/SolB till 60

Kadron
07-07-2013, 10:34 AM
I would recommend De enchanter. Being able to hide to break charm will come in handy.

Swish
07-07-2013, 11:03 AM
I would recommend De enchanter. Being able to hide to break charm will come in handy.

Or load taper enchantment for 5 mana if you really want that starting high elf charisma :p

TarukShmaruk
07-07-2013, 11:14 AM
Well I just went from 44-50 in Kedge within about 4 days so I would highly recommend there.

webrunner5
07-07-2013, 10:10 PM
If you want the "All Dungeon Challenge", might have to do something like:
1-4 Qeynos Catacombs
4-16 Blackburrow (might be too slow 14-16 tho)
16-25 Upper Guk
25-35 Unrest
35-40 Splitpaw/Mistmoore
-- I did a similar progression as above with my Shaman, except I took a break from 20-30 to do outdoor zones. Unrest Basement was amazing XP from 30-35.
40-50 Lower Guk?/City of Mist/Nurga Maybe?
Then you'd have KC/HS/Seb/SolB till 60

That is a pretty good list you came up with.

skacat... Not sure if you aware that the more Charisma you have on a Enchanter the better chance the Charm lasts longer. Need to go for like 200 at least to really have a better chance.

Some good Wiki Guides on this page may help you. http://wiki.project1999.org/Players:Adventure