PDA

View Full Version : Was I KSed, or did I have no right to the camp?

Thaeryn
07-09-2013, 08:47 AM
Hi all,

Just looking for rules clarification, please:

Yesterday, I was at the Nybright Sisters camp in LFay. My char is a lvl 12 Enc, and I can handle 2 sisters only. So I kill one, med to full, kill the other, med to full, and by that time, the first one is up again. That means I usually leave the two linked sisters untouched. I'm always quick to tell other would-be campers that they are more than welcome to share the camp with me.

Now this has always led to an enjoyable time, meeting other players and chatting a bit; however, yesterday another player (lvl 15) comes by and says that since I can't kill all 4, and he can, I have no claim to the camp. He then went ahead and started pulling the sisters, muscling me out.

Now I COULD kill all 4, but 2 would be alive at any given moment while I'm medding, so I have never presumed to own the entire camp and block other people from getting some XP and loot.

Of course, I was miffed, and I think this person has bigger problems than being a poor sport, but the question is... did my inability to clear all 4 sisters at a time mean that I had no claim whatsoever to the two I WAS killing? What if I had died while killing them? Does my death mean I lack the skill to hold the camp and should give it up to whoever else comes by (until they die and the torch passes again).

I would rather just forget this nasty experience and move on, but I don't want to make a claim on a camp when I shouldn't be.

Would love it if a GM could weigh in, too.

Cheers

Reguiy
07-09-2013, 08:51 AM
In b4 someone from red posts, "I play on red so I just kill them if someone tries to take my camp."

ripwind
07-09-2013, 08:53 AM
Sounds like said player who moved in on your camp was just being a scumbag, and probably should have been appreciative of the fact that you were going to offer half of your camp to them. It sounds like they could have been happily pulling away two of the sisters, until you left, and then had the entire camp to themselves.

Thulack
07-09-2013, 08:55 AM
Sounds like said player who moved in on your camp was just being a scumbag, and probably should have been appreciative of the fact that you were going to offer half of your camp to them. It sounds like they could have been happily pulling away two of the sisters, until you left, and then had the entire camp to themselves.

This. Dude was being a douche. Make sure to name him so people don't bother to group with him too :)

Xadion
07-09-2013, 08:58 AM
If you could kill the mobs you where camping, within the "rules" and time-frame then yeah I would say he stole that camp... you can camp 1 mob if you want- as long as you engage it on spawn within the "understood timeframe" whatever that really is - 30secs or so.

Thaeryn
07-09-2013, 09:05 AM
Thanks for the replies so far. Not going to name names, though.

If this thread gets an official response clarifying the rules, and that response shows that he was breaking those rules, that's good enough for me. Heck, this person may even read that response and change his ways.

If not... I don't think you can have a personality like that and stay in a group for long, so no one needs me to sound the alarm.

Personally, I'm hoping he will reconsider following the spirit of the law rather than the letter of the law, so this server stays a great place to enjoy classic EQ.

@Xadion - yes, spawns would pop about the time I was full mana. Sometimes sooner depending on the number of resists I had to deal with. In this particular instance, one sister was dead and the 3rd popped just when I needed to buff up again b/c my shielding faded. I don't think it's too much to ask to allow me a few minutes to med up again. I could hold those two without dying and at a steady pace 95% of the time. The other 5%, I would be recovering from resists and / or rebuffing.

Tappin
07-09-2013, 09:10 AM
Yep, I agree with everyone here. You may have not been camping the entire "camp" but you were camping 2 of them, so he had no rights to them. I actually had the same thing happen to me once before while camping bloodgills before I was high enough to use Lumi. This particular other druid wanted to pull all 3 camps(12 mobs) bloodgills at the same time. And since I could only handle 2 of the camps or so he said that I had no right to the camps if I couldn't keep all 3 camps cleared.

Up to that point I had told other players they could have the 3rd camp since I wasn't bothering with it.

Thaeryn
07-09-2013, 09:19 AM
LOL sounds like it could be the same person.

Fianna
07-09-2013, 09:20 AM
Name them and their guild and shame them.

Guy is obviously a douche.

Sickle
07-09-2013, 09:45 AM
Damn, your not even gonna put the guy on blast? You sir are too kind...

With that being said, This guy was just being a jerk. No need to have this kind of behavior over low level mobs. He should of moved on and waited for you to be done to take the whole camp or take the 2 mobs you offered and be content with that.

Gadwen
07-09-2013, 09:47 AM
If you can't immediately kill the mob when it spawns other players can take it without repercussion. Sad but proven true many times on this server. The player is still a scumbag, name and shame please.

Ele
07-09-2013, 09:50 AM
You got muscled out, son.

Thaeryn
07-09-2013, 10:02 AM
So that means there's no such thing as "camps" as far as the rules are concerned. It comes down to who can tag the mob first. I hadn't considered that rule as a possibility. It just seems... wrong.

Well it seems the only justice is a reputation earned or lost. If that's the system upon which this server works, I'll have to reconsider naming names.

flatt
07-09-2013, 10:04 AM
There is a enchanter around the area 15-16 named Lanwen that I would bet $100 is who this is about. The guy (girl toon) is a mess of KS, trains, deaths, whining, insanity, a hot mess.

Gadwen
07-09-2013, 10:07 AM
There is a enchanter around the area 15-16 named Lanwen that I would bet $100 is who this is about. The guy (girl toon) is a mess of KS, trains, deaths, whining, insanity, a hot mess.

Sounds like he has a future in raiding here.

Gadwen
07-09-2013, 10:24 AM
So that means there's no such thing as "camps" as far as the rules are concerned. It comes down to who can tag the mob first. I hadn't considered that rule as a possibility. It just seems... wrong.

Well it seems the only justice is a reputation earned or lost. If that's the system upon which this server works, I'll have to reconsider naming names.

There are camps and most players will respect them, however in these cases the rules are on the side of the assholes. If you aren't ready to kill the mob the instant it spawns another player will be able to get away with engaging and it's not considered a KS.

That's why you gotta name and shame.

RevengeofGio
07-09-2013, 10:42 AM

Who said the rules were morally right?

If I'm casting on a mob and a warrior runs up and taps it first... in the rules its his, but I really could care less and I will KS him.

I think the rules should be followed in spirit and not just by the word.

RevengeofGio
07-09-2013, 10:45 AM

To be fair CB has a ton of drama going on over there. Lanwen is a bit on the greedy side though.

Thaeryn
07-09-2013, 10:46 AM
Yeah it seems the only check against this sort of behavior is community rep.

Well, I hope no one bet against Flatt, because he's right. It was Lanwen. I knew someone with that sort of personality couldn't go undetected for long.

So, congratulations Lanwen. It seems you were right. It's just a shame that you have to play like that. With such an attitude, you're going to have a difficult life and a lonely lonely time on this server.

I hope, for your own sake, you change.

Wotsirb401
07-09-2013, 10:56 AM
sounds like KS to me

Xadion
07-09-2013, 11:00 AM
There is, I believe - a note on the camp rules that it does not have to be instantly engaged (sans FTE raid shit bla bla etc) - if your camping- lets say Magi and you killed 5 PHs and are sitting there and Magi pops- you need to be at camp and engage the thing fairly quick- but I do not /think/ you have to sit on the spot and instantly engage.

Whats the official time? 30 secs? 1 min or so. if there is any

Sidelle
07-09-2013, 11:05 AM
Hi Maekju,

I believe I met you yesterday when I was playing my druid there. I turned the camp over to you when I dinged 16, if you recall. Sorry to hear what a douche that guy was. You impressed me as a decent person at the time, and even more so now because you didn't immediately come here and post his name until you had your question answered regarding camp rules. But I have to agree with what some of the others are saying. Reputation does count here and that guy is someone I would like to be wary of and avoid before I unwittingly group with him. I don't care if he is within his rights or not - that is someone I would not want to group with.

I split that camp the other day with another druid (I was 14 or 15) and it worked out just fine because those sisters spawn so quickly. Even last night at level 16 it was hard to stay ahead of all four and keep myself buffed. Was constantly oom. So if I am at that camp today and you wanna hang out and kill them, I'd be happy to share with you.

And whether or not you decide to post his name, look me up if you ever want a druid or rogue anytime. :)

Sidelle - 60 rogue
Zhalara - 16 druid

Sidelle
07-09-2013, 11:13 AM
It was Lanwen.

Duly noted. Lanwen going on shit list. :D

Thaeryn
07-09-2013, 11:16 AM
Hey Zhalara :)

Of course, I remember meeting you yesterday. Thanks for chiming in with the encouraging words. Will definitely keep you on the friends list. Your SoW came in handy yesterday.

Anyway, I also want to thank another druid that popped by later, just as the problem started. He offered to help me keep the camp - Ipee. Stand up guy.

This is an awesome server.

Gadwen
07-09-2013, 11:23 AM
There is, I believe - a note on the camp rules that it does not have to be instantly engaged (sans FTE raid shit bla bla etc) - if your camping- lets say Magi and you killed 5 PHs and are sitting there and Magi pops- you need to be at camp and engage the thing fairly quick- but I do not /think/ you have to sit on the spot and instantly engage.

Whats the official time? 30 secs? 1 min or so. if there is any

There is no time frame, there was a thread recently where a guy engaged Hadden within 6 seconds of spawn when the other guy had been sitting there for hours camping him, GMs ruled that it was not a KS because the other guy at camp wasn't paying attention when it popped.

Sidelle
07-09-2013, 11:24 AM
Ipee. Stand up guy.

This made me laugh. The surname possibilites are endless for this guy. Lol.

Thaeryn
07-09-2013, 11:30 AM
haha! I'd apologize, but I don't think he'd be surprised by the foul up.

AexDestroy
07-09-2013, 11:45 AM
If I'm casting on a mob and a warrior runs up and taps it first... in the rules its his, but I really could care less and I will KS him.

Thats because you're a fucking douche bag.

flatt
07-09-2013, 12:16 PM
I have only played up to 17 or 18 but its funny, its just like playing on classic was, 20% of people are afk,anon,being PL'd, 10% are greifers, 69.999999% are super friendly, fun to play with, and the last .0000001% are off their meds and need professional help (lanwen)

Rhambuk
07-09-2013, 12:41 PM
Only read the OP

As I understand if you are unable to clear and hold the entire camp you cannot claim it while someone that could is waiting. I believe this is more along the lines of claiming the 2nd floor in unrest when you can only clear the fireplace room and its supposed to prevent people from calling it camped when only a few mobs are being killed and those doing a cc would just walk away when in fact most of the mobs are up.

It's to bad you got pushed around by a "rules lawyer" but you say you could clear all 4 but only comfortable doing 2, thats like having to clear an entire floor of mobs when you only want to kill 1 or 2. I believe it was yours but the argument could be made you were unable to clear and hold the camp so someone could douche you out if they felt like.

it may not be classic, but I think when people make a new character along with weapon food drink pod book there should be a book placed in inventory that is readable and has the server rules with examples defined by the gm's. I know they are posted here but would be a nifty little thing to have a rulebook in your backpack you could pull out and quote.

Pointless post sorry about your situation

Rhambuk
07-09-2013, 12:43 PM

So dumb, so wrong ( ethically )

as a rog on live I would solo HG's in rathe and if a druid was mid cast when i popped up and backstabbed theyd just kill it....i cant see a druid casting from 20meters away when i have no spell particles on but they sure can see me attacking it before their spell lands.

if i did see him casting I would let them have it but in return they would steal mine because ducking was too much of a hassle. in my experience most soloing casters tend to be douchebags hence they end up soloing all the time.

Wotsirb401
07-09-2013, 01:07 PM
Only read the OP

As I understand if you are unable to clear and hold the entire camp you cannot claim it while someone that could is waiting. I believe this is more along the lines of claiming the 2nd floor in unrest when you can only clear the fireplace room and its supposed to prevent people from calling it camped when only a few mobs are being killed and those doing a cc would just walk away when in fact most of the mobs are up.

It's to bad you got pushed around by a "rules lawyer" but you say you could clear all 4 but only comfortable doing 2, thats like having to clear an entire floor of mobs when you only want to kill 1 or 2. I believe it was yours but the argument could be made you were unable to clear and hold the camp so someone could douche you out if they felt like.

it may not be classic, but I think when people make a new character along with weapon food drink pod book there should be a book placed in inventory that is readable and has the server rules with examples defined by the gm's. I know they are posted here but would be a nifty little thing to have a rulebook in your backpack you could pull out and quote.

Pointless post sorry about your situation

how is this camp any different from the seb crypt, if he wants to camp 2 sisters he should have the right to take 2 and the other party can have the other 2 or go elsewhere. the way i have read it is, if he is actively killing then he has rights to that camp, even if he goes ld or wipes he still has 20 minutes( i think is the time quoted by several gms) to recover and keep claim to his camp