PDA

View Full Version : Shaman in a trio: ogre vs troll?

iRFNA
07-11-2013, 08:28 PM
In a trio where the shaman may have to offtank at times, which would be preferable? My friend insists on ogre for the stun immunity, however it doesn't actually protect against spell interrupts from combat, correct? I think troll would be the right choice, since hp regen is basically mana regen for a shaman.

How much does ogre stun immunity really protect against spell interrupts? Does torpor truly make racial regen "obsolete"? I mean, more mana regen is always good, right?

koros
07-11-2013, 08:56 PM
A slowed mob will bash once every 32 seconds and miss a good deal of those. Troll is going to be superior in a trio most of the time, especially leveling up. The only place where stun immunity really shines is soloing hard mobs, and I'd personally take the extra regen over it.

SirAlvarex
07-11-2013, 11:16 PM
Having leveled a Troll to 20 then an Ogre to 37, I noticed a huge difference when I re-rolled for Stun Immunity. Your spells don't get interrupted on a non-stun bash, they just *have a chance to*, which isn't very often. In fact I can't remember the last time it happened.

Torpor (if you ever get it) does make regen nearly obsolete. Or atleast not nearly as important.

Troll Regen is still great tho if you are going untwinked. If you have a Regen item of any sort, Ogre pulls way ahead.

Lojik
07-12-2013, 02:03 PM
Troll v Ogre discussion beaten to death. Race for shaman doesn't matter much, although on red ogre is probably a wiser choice.

Something'Witty
07-12-2013, 02:39 PM
Having leveled a Troll to 20 then an Ogre to 37, I noticed a huge difference when I re-rolled for Stun Immunity. Your spells don't get interrupted on a non-stun bash, they just *have a chance to*, which isn't very often. In fact I can't remember the last time it happened.

Torpor (if you ever get it) does make regen nearly obsolete. Or atleast not nearly as important.

Troll Regen is still great tho if you are going untwinked. If you have a Regen item of any sort, Ogre pulls way ahead.

I agree with the above.

On Fippy (one of SOE's progression servers) I leveled up a troll shm, and the regen + snare neck were quite nice. In my 40s I saved up bought a fungi (they were like 15k on that server), which was heavenly combined with troll regen. However, once I got torpor, the Fungi was nearly pointless and I quickly replaced it. Torpor is a complete game changer. A few months later I bought a race change potion and switched to ogre, which did make a noticeable difference in high end encounters.

TL;DR - IMO trolls have an advantage in leveling and ogres have an advantage high end.

P.S. Iksars look the coolest and Barbs level the fastest.

iRFNA
07-12-2013, 04:56 PM
So is this advice actually for a trio or more about soloing? The shaman will always be in our trio, never soloing.

Something'Witty
07-13-2013, 01:40 PM
So is this advice actually for a trio or more about soloing? The shaman will always be in our trio, never soloing.

Group, trio, or solo my advice is the same.

Splorf22
07-13-2013, 04:28 PM
If you look at the shamans who either a) placed in the BOTB or b) achieved solo artist GM status you have Svenn (barbarian), Orruar (barbarian), Jeremy (barbarian), Zagum (troll) and Klubba (troll).

Conclusion: it doesn't matter.

Vayder
07-14-2013, 08:23 AM
If you look at the shamans who either a) placed in the BOTB or b) achieved solo artist GM status you have Svenn (barbarian), Orruar (barbarian), Jeremy (barbarian), Zagum (troll) and Klubba (troll).

Conclusion: Barbarian and Troll are better than Ogre.

:eek:

Cords
07-14-2013, 11:21 AM
I think Ogre is the way to go, that way if you die, at least you have a funny looking death..

But really I think Ogre is the way to go, because of the stats, Who has the most health out of the four? Ogre. Which means when you get Canny mana isn't going to so much an issue. Once you get high enough health regen, and upper Canni's won't matter if you have Troll or Ikky regen. Plus Troll Ikky have a 5% exp penalty over Ogre. So with an ogre, I would split the Points between stam and wis. Either way Stam will max out fast with the right gear, making for a huge canny pool.

Have fun no matter what you choose.

spoils
07-17-2013, 11:59 PM

Conclusion: it doesn't matter.

Svenn has admitted that if he had to do it again, he woulda gone ogre...jus sayin

Orruar also admitted that ogre is a great choice, at least over troll...

The only reason if ever choose barb is to use bsh+jbb+torpor before epic came out...post epic, ogre is pretty unbeatable...

Heck I'd say ogre>barb>troll>iksar

But that list changes with velious not by much...

Norathorr
07-18-2013, 08:10 AM
I have chosen troll and am very pleased with my regen (thats starting out with nothing) for my mana conversion. If you have alot of plat and can get a fungi I would probably choose Ogre. At lv 60 with torpor I think it would be hard to argue against ogre as racial regen is by then a moot point.

Kritimus
07-18-2013, 08:43 AM
Iksar or ogre...the only choice....and I sure as hell can't decide myself!

DylanWFT
07-24-2013, 08:14 AM
For me it doesn't matter if you can get stun immunity or higher hp regen I just don't wanna be that ugly! :p I prefer a barbarian. Iksars are cool too :cool: