PDA

View Full Version : Project1999 Devs deserve more credit

Gruen
07-14-2013, 02:36 AM
So I'll start by saying I am new to the server and new to Everquest. I have a background in computer security and malware reverse engineering. So the drama by the recent attempt to extort the admins for an account back by using bug exploitation and server ddos (ddos might not be related but if not, a huge coincidence) really peaked my interest in what was going on. I think the developers for Project 1999 definitely deserve more credit. I strongly believe that the effort that they put in to prevent and detect cheating via 3rd party software or packet sniffing (i.e. MQ & ShowEQ) is one of the main reasons this server is so successful. I’m not saying it's invincible, but I see more effort put in here to prevent this type of thing then a lot of major and successful titles.

I was surprised to hear Rogean rattle off the full path of the MQ2 module injected into eqgame seconds after asking what our friend ZipZop's character name was. I did not expect the client to be capable of this, I then discover DSETUP.DLL and I'm impressed. If you have the time you should read this article that the Project 1999 devs were interviewed in, discussing the work they did to prevent cheating. http://www.tentonhammer.com/features/everquest/hacking-eq-part-two

Devs I know it can be a thankless job sometimes, which I'm sure is difficult, especially since this appears to be all volunteer work. So this is my post saying thankyou. I haven't been here long but I intend to stay.

-Gruen

PS: Also if someone could address the IP Exemption queue that would be great, so my wife and I can play together. ;)

dusty
07-14-2013, 03:33 AM
+1

flatt
07-14-2013, 04:46 AM
+2

Ifall
07-14-2013, 05:11 AM
Agreed!! Rogean is a sexy Bostonian wiz

kylok
07-14-2013, 06:50 AM
++ very happy with the server and the people who run it. Keep up the good work =)

crunkfresh
07-14-2013, 07:00 AM
Only thing that could possibly make this server better is if I could play with my brother-in-law when he comes over on the weekends *cough*

but no seriously, you guys do an awesome job. will donate with tax return

myriverse
07-14-2013, 07:53 AM
I got no interest in any of the drama. So, all I gotta say is the devs keep me entertained with pixels. Thanks guys.

ramze5eq
07-14-2013, 04:57 PM
Yeah good job Dev's, thanks for the hard work:)

also are you guys still doing IP exemption? I ask for one last month still nothing, I know you guys have been very busy. That is why I am not mad, just don't want to be forgot about that is all.

cathex
07-14-2013, 05:03 PM
Very appropriate post given the current climate. Thanks Devs for your time, patience, and hard work!

Gaxx
07-14-2013, 05:04 PM
Agreed, no server comes close to touching this one. Thanks for spending your time and money to let us relive the memories of classic EQ.

Zade
07-14-2013, 05:11 PM
PS: Also if someone could address the IP Exemption queue that would be great, so my wife and I can play together. ;)

http://www.project1999.org/forums/announcement.php?f=25

Read my announcement :)

IP exemptions will be processed in the next week or so. Make sure you have the right info in your post

duneadx
07-14-2013, 05:13 PM
Thank you GMs for all of your hard work on your free time. We appreciate the opportunity to experience such a fun game again.

EchoedTruth
07-14-2013, 05:35 PM
There is a reason this server has a higher pop than EQLive servers. It's good.

Awwalike
07-14-2013, 05:42 PM
just donate to the server they don't care about this silly ass kissing

Nordenwatch
07-14-2013, 07:19 PM
GO FAH IN THE CAH