PDA

View Full Version : Bard Kiting - How do you run in circles?

Orotiagito
07-16-2013, 03:47 AM
Do you use your mouse slide it while holding right click? That seems very uncomfortable..

Cords
07-16-2013, 04:15 AM
use the arrow keys, or bind them to ASDW. count four audio steps, turn left, rince and repeat

I've never used the mouse to run circles.

falkun
07-16-2013, 07:56 AM
I tap right/left turn. After tons of practice it came naturally. Practice, practice, practice. The other method to learn is strafe running. I never used it, but lots of bards swear by it. Use whichever works for you, and if one method does not, try another.

seitil
07-16-2013, 03:38 PM
strafe run with right click held is what I do, it can get tiring but for me its really smooth and it allows me to easily modulate the size of my circle as i like to "swoop in" a bit when I am applying my dots. It seems to be a lot safer for me but its ultimately up to preference.

cliveceps
07-16-2013, 03:58 PM
I don't use selos or sow or jboots, just normal run speed. Press num lock to auto run. Then I hold down either the left or the right key during my entire kite to send me into a circle. I press the Control key to strafe run to keep myself running in a wide enough circle to where I don't get hit. Pretty simple, should only take a few minutes to get used to.

Edit: Also I run in 3rd person mode to make sure I can see where the mobs are in relation to myself. Widen the circle if they're getting to close, close the circle if they're getting too far for the dot to hit.

Karafa
07-21-2013, 02:09 AM
I strafe run as well as right click turn. As an above poster said it really feels safer and easier. I've tried every which way in the book, I did a bard from 2-55 basically just strafe running and keyboard turning. Recently I did yet another bard from 2-53 and absolutely fell in love with the mouse click turn. I maybe died 3 times, and hitting chords seems way easier

billw134
08-22-2013, 01:42 PM
I just put a rock on the keyboard

Estu
08-22-2013, 02:11 PM
I've had the most success with autorunning and turning with the arrow keys (I find strafe running weird and uncomfortable, and I find mouse turning too hard to control, counter-intuitively, because it's hard to consistently turn with the mouse at the same speed). It can get to be a strain on my wrist, though, so I tend to only do one or two kites at a time before logging. Once I hit 18 and get the second AoE DoT I think I'm just going to switch to it and forget about the level 2 dot altogether to make it easier on my hand by not having to mash the arrow key as quickly.

Raavak
08-22-2013, 02:14 PM
I use that tappa tappa tappa method on the keyboard while in 3rd person view. Only lvl 9 but I'm starting to get the hang of it. Like Estu, I only do a couple, then go play something else.

a_gnoll_pup
08-24-2013, 08:11 PM
I sometimes stream my kiting (depending on mood).

Here's one of my broadcasts I saved:

http://www.twitch.tv/a_gnoll_pup99/b/448513877

Hopefully it gives you an idea.

Arrisard
08-24-2013, 10:37 PM
Clockwise, duh.

Robdukes
08-24-2013, 11:41 PM
I use strafe..bind left strafe to q and right to e. I used to hold down right click to steer but found I took more hits this way. I barely ever take a hit when i just do little click drags to do little turns and when I apply the dot when its 3/4 down the cast bar i strafe the opposite way toward the mobs a bit to land the dot.

Hazek
08-29-2013, 02:15 PM
Bind keys to toggle follow camera and user defined 1 or 2. Pull and switch to user defined 1 (3rd person with rotate) and just use A and D to make a circle.

t0lkien
09-02-2013, 09:15 AM
If you bind your strafe keys (A and D by default) to be both "stafe" and "turn", you will slide as you turn. This gives you a little bit of breathing room as it takes advantage of the shape of hitboxes and you will get hit less. This removes the need to mouse strafe, and you can toggle out to a long third person view and kite with full vision of what's going on.

Never run in a straight line, always be strafing/turning.