PDA

View Full Version : Rollback

Argentate
07-24-2013, 07:25 PM
We all know the server's integrity is at risk. A few pessimists have been crying for a wipe... Personally I think a complete wipe would have more adverse effects to the health of the server and as Rogean stated, it just won't happen. As an alternative to a wipe, what about rolling back a few weeks?

After the rollback of, say X weeks, the devs can compensate everybody by having 100% exp bonus for X weeks afterwards, and X weeks of half the variance time on raid mobs to satisfy the end-game folks.

Any thoughts?

Flamewraith
07-24-2013, 07:37 PM
This sounds terrible. Do you know how much of a clusterfuck rolling back 1000 people any number of weeks would be? There would be so much crying and drama and just everything would go wrong.

Stinkum
07-24-2013, 07:38 PM
http://sacredbonding.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/wipe-it-clean.jpg

Barkingturtle
07-24-2013, 07:38 PM
I think maybe we should roll forward a few weeks so all this trouble is behind us.

citizen1080
07-24-2013, 07:39 PM
1. Find and fix the dupe
2. Server ~3 week rollback
3. 3x Xp for ~3 weeks
4. Profit

Yes, it would suck for those who put in a ton of time lvling during the ddos. But I think the majority of us have not gotten much accomplished during the last few weeks.

In fact it drove many extra people to EC to trade since thats all they could do safely, which made the trading of duped items that much worse.

On the flip side if the dupe is fix and ddos gone having a 2x/3x xp period would put most of us well ahead of where we were as we could focus on lvling during the period for better gains.

The only issue major issue i see right off the bat would be account trades would be an issue. The plat x traded to y for an account rolls back...but the account info does not. So anyone who bought an account during the roll back period got it for free and those who sold are screwed.

But...tracking these few sales down and making it right would be a lot less work for the staff than chasing down duped items traded 3-4 times each through the logs.

Anyways...just an idea other than wipe it clean...wipe it kinda clean!

http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=116027&page=6

Kritimus
07-24-2013, 07:42 PM
I think maybe we should roll forward a few weeks so all this trouble is behind us.

lol'd

Champion_Standing
07-24-2013, 07:45 PM

This is a great idea!

Bundie
07-24-2013, 07:49 PM
If we did a roll back, I'd probably quit. Since I've only been playing for 12 day thus far. I have received several donations and I've given tons of plat and gear donated by the community to distribute to new players. So if I lost my progression and currency/items It would be very disheartening.

http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=116027&page=9

+1 to this, rollback would just shit all over new players. No thanks.

Tysidious
07-24-2013, 07:55 PM
This does not sound like a good idea to me.

Sarius
07-24-2013, 07:58 PM

Best quote to date!

DukeVonSausage
07-24-2013, 08:18 PM
Terrible concept, would screw over the majority honest players attempting to the play the game.

Face it, due to the situation, we're stuck with just living with what has happened and hoping the long term effects don't screw us over.

Do you really think individuals, newer players but especially well established players would still play after losing millions in platinum or raid gear?

I know Cathrine would be pissed.

And as for roll backs, same applies. Both are not good solutions to our current problem.

fuark
07-24-2013, 08:19 PM
OP: And your solution to people who are level 60 and don't care about bonus exp weekends?

Honestly couldnt care less if the dupes stay in the game.

Cecily
07-24-2013, 08:44 PM
Cool w/ a wipe if I can keep my Mrylo BP and Druid epic.

Lowlife
07-24-2013, 08:46 PM
http://sacredbonding.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/wipe-it-clean.jpg

khanable
07-24-2013, 09:06 PM
Cool w/ a wipe

if I can keep

wipe

keep

Cecily
07-24-2013, 09:21 PM
Yeah I understand that really wouldn't work. Better solution, wipe everyone but me.

medievalerror
07-24-2013, 09:42 PM
Fo serious? Roll back = screw over the entire server to punish a handful of dupers. Fuck that. I'd be gone.

feanan
07-24-2013, 09:46 PM
1. new server, exploits and bugs patched, no character sales
or
2. wipe this server clean.
or
3. delete all items except no drop, and all pp from everyone in game

I'd be willing to bet for every one person who cried and never came back, 3 people who quit for various reasons would come back.

Widan
07-24-2013, 09:46 PM
Fo serious? Roll back = screw over the entire server to punish a handful of dupers. Fuck that. I'd be gone.

what do you think they did when they found a dupe method on live (rhetorical)

Vega
07-24-2013, 09:54 PM
Finally finished epic last week. Rollback would suck for me =/

medievalerror
07-24-2013, 10:02 PM
I would almost prefer a total wipe to a rollback, to be honest.

Loli Pops
07-24-2013, 10:12 PM
I wipe where this is going.

Reguiy
07-24-2013, 10:17 PM
Personally I think a wipe would be good, but Rogean already said it will never happen. So people need to stop trolling and move on.

Ruenaros
07-24-2013, 11:41 PM
Back in live on the test server they did an item wipe one time. Just poof, all your items gone. log in naked and bare knuckle the nearest decaying skeleton for his rusty weapon and start over on gear.

I'm not saying they should do that here, but it sure would give the RMT'ers second thoughts about doing business here in the future.

Treefall
07-24-2013, 11:48 PM
Back in live on the test server they did an item wipe one time. Just poof, all your items gone. log in naked and bare knuckle the nearest decaying skeleton for his rusty weapon and start over on gear.

I'm not saying they should do that here, but it sure would give the RMT'ers second thoughts about doing business here in the future.

Yeah, it would also give actual players second thoughts about playing here in the future too.

"Finally got x after camping the mob for a week straight!"

Poof.

"Welp, screw this."

t0lkien
07-24-2013, 11:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojanman:
I'm not talking in the event of a server failure or any unforeseen catastrophe, I just mean will the server ever get a purposeful wipe?

Definitive, unequivocal reply by Sirken before locking the thread:

No.

So... really, guys, move on.

Ruenaros
07-24-2013, 11:53 PM
Yeah, it would also give actual players second thoughts about playing here in the future too.

"Finally got x after camping the mob for a week straight!"

Poof.

"Welp, screw this."

Test bound a tight little community... I don't think too many people actually quit over it. We were used to being abused so it rolled off us like water on rock! It did suck that there were no more guises on the server after that, though.

Sadre Spinegnawer
07-24-2013, 11:56 PM
This sounds terrible. Do you know how much of a clusterfuck rolling back 1000 people any number of weeks would be? There would be so much crying and drama and just everything would go wrong.

this. except this is putting it mildly.

why not roll back to September of 2012? That would nip this in the bud.

DukeVonSausage
07-24-2013, 11:57 PM
Lets be honest, only people with ulterior motives want a wipe of the entire server; they want to feel like the server is fresh and brand new, and I can understand that feeling.

But its incredibly selfish, narrow minded, and would crush the stable community numbers we have now.

Are you going to wipe/roll back the server every time we have dupers and RMT's involved, which we will regardless of a wipe/roll back? Stop being so short sighted; this isn't a solution, its only the umbrella excuse.

Op's suggestion is a delusional option for the egocentric. No one is going to spend all the hours they originally invested into this server just to start from scratch again (he suggested a roll back but its similar and since this thread has been redirected and involves wiping, I'm addressing this topic primarily) just so you can imagine that you're unwrapping EQ out of its plastic and playing the game for the first time like you were 13.

Its a dumb idea, and its only held by the most depraved, jobless, retired, or disabled individuals here and catering to a vastly outnumbered portion of the populace advocating this option.

Motion denied.

Sadre Spinegnawer
07-24-2013, 11:59 PM
I would almost prefer a total wipe to a rollback, to be honest.

total wipe only if FTE rules are stringently enforced from day one, with zonewide shouts.

We will need volunteers to monitor the shouts, and adjudicate disputes.

Sadre Spinegnawer
07-25-2013, 12:08 AM
No one is going to spend all the hours they originally invested into this server and start from scratch again just so you can imagine that you're unwrapping EQ out of its plastic and playing the game for the first time like you were 13.

Have you no idea what repetition compulsion is man? You just tried to argue that p99 should not exist in the first place.

As long as this outfit offers a stable (and better) policed server, it wins every time.

Your argument that individuals with pronounced obsessive compulsive tendencies will just turn into dust in the wind if the server resets is ludicrous. Would more likely be the case, it would be taken as a challenge.

A total reset -- with FTE rules in strict supervision in all newbie zones from day one -- would totally rock.

t0lkien
07-25-2013, 12:11 AM
Actually, a new server with a determination to fix what was broken on Live (i.e. a "spirit of classic EQ" server) would get me straight away.

webrunner5
07-25-2013, 12:12 AM
Why the hell do some people want to screw the honest people on here and let the dirt bags off. You really think they will go away with a wipe??

Missingo
07-25-2013, 12:20 AM
Bring on the full wipe, I'd take that over a rollback

boudicca
07-25-2013, 12:25 AM
The people who wouldn't mind a total wipe, probably would have been playing already on another server where this hasn't been happening.

The people who are okay with 1-3 weeks rolling back most likely hadn't been logging in, or were already 60.

All the RMT PL'ers in OT would probably enjoy this: get paid 2x for swarm kiting again in OT!

HawkMasterson1999
07-25-2013, 12:30 AM
The people who wouldn't mind a total wipe, probably would have been playing already on another server where this hasn't been happening.

The people who are okay with 1-3 weeks rolling back most likely hadn't been logging in, or were already 60.

All the RMT PL'ers in OT would probably enjoy this: get paid 2x for swarm kiting again in OT!

Its true. A wipe would turn former customers into potential customers once again for RMTers

DukeVonSausage
07-25-2013, 12:31 AM
Have you no idea what repetition compulsion is man? You just tried to argue that p99 should not exist in the first place.

That is a perfect example of a classic Bill O'Reilly tactic of taking a suggestion and carrying it out to its logical or fanatical extreme.

Now it should go without saying that it is common sense regarding the difference between aged progression and quitting (as EQ live experienced, changed completely, and then for most of us ended), and an abrupt reset caused by any numerous and usually negative circumstances (I.E. this one).

I'm hoping I don't have to explain the vast differences in circumstances to you and why each reason is different and why an individual may want to start new on an emulated server after having played for years on live which has morphed into an entirely new game rather than being on an emulated server they have already transferred to and having their items/time/etc wiped.

No, a wipe + FTE enforcement wouldn't be a good idea because its not practical in the first place and FTE is a poor system which has historically failed us and continues to do so. If you think FTE is the only thing keeping people in line (which is a joke, most people have auto-fire keyboards/programs that they get away with), you've forgetting the slew of other ridiculous shit that happens at the raid level scene such as training, leap frogging, sabotaging spawns under the guise of doing an epic, etc.

Your two fold argument is not a good one and resetting the server will only serve to kill it.

Missingo
07-25-2013, 12:31 AM
And a rollback would screw those who sold accounts no? They would not get the accounts back and would lose the plat.

rickjames
07-25-2013, 01:08 AM
Your two fold argument is not a good one and resetting the server will only serve to kill it.

That's a Rachel Maddow tactic of being dismissive and asserting that continuing to burn in status quo is better than exploring any real solution.

DukeVonSausage
07-25-2013, 01:15 AM
That's a Rachel Maddow tactic of being dismissive and asserting that continuing to burn in status quo is better than exploring any real solution.

You really don't know what you're talking about do you?