PDA

View Full Version : How much do we need to donate to fix the lag

Razdeline
07-25-2013, 12:35 AM
Wondering how much money it would cost to effectively battle this. I am sure money can fight the money being put in to ddos the server so....

How much money should each active p99'er donate to fix the issue? A few people who are technically savvy in the Network Engineering field have posted in another thread about different types of hardware(although expensive) that can completely mitigate this problem.

We just need to hear back from staff on what will actually help.

Please keep this thread serious.

Here is the donation link:

https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_flow&SESSION=Cw5bXHRY7rZdszi4QwjrPbQ4hWcZL533NMXD3JAO5G 8mQOUUwJWw8GlcJsi&dispatch=5885d80a13c0db1f8e263663d3faee8d92b37e35c 82a7c965120dd5a9b6ad0e3

Orotiagito
07-25-2013, 12:36 AM
I'd be willing to put a donate button on my twitch stream to help contribute as well, I'd also donate to help select a different host.

Razdeline
07-25-2013, 12:36 AM
If we use 1000 people to pitch in $5, that's $5,000. Could buy some serious hardware with that.

Hodge
07-25-2013, 12:38 AM
bump

Razdeline
07-25-2013, 12:39 AM
Fixed the link.

Razdeline
07-25-2013, 12:41 AM
I'd be willing to put a donate button on my twitch stream to help contribute as well, I'd also donate to help select a different host.

Thanks, I encourage all streamers to follow this example. Could help a bit.

1203jjt
07-25-2013, 12:43 AM
I'd chip in $10 if the dev's let us know a serious number.

Hodge
07-25-2013, 12:46 AM

truth

Infuriati
07-25-2013, 12:49 AM
Non of the higher ups give a shit.

Negativ
07-25-2013, 12:50 AM
If someone would post a serious number, I'll throw in $20

Tiggles
07-25-2013, 12:50 AM
Thanks, I encourage all streamers to follow this example. Could help a bit.

Had a donate button since day 1

Server needs help guys

Infuriati
07-25-2013, 12:51 AM
Wasn't it during the Tiggles and Rogean interview where he said he basically didn't give a shit if the server got ddos'd?

Correct me if im wrong please, I couldn't find the interview.

Negativ
07-25-2013, 12:53 AM
I have absolutely zero problem donating any amount of money to the server to fix this....but I think I speak for most people when I say I would want some sort of concrete evidence that the money would actually be used to find a solution quickly.

Razdeline
07-25-2013, 12:54 AM

Not true, they have been working on this server for 5 years, too many people commited. This is Nilbog's baby. Please keep this thread on topic.

Flamewraith
07-25-2013, 12:55 AM

Adolphus
07-25-2013, 12:56 AM
There are ways to combat DDOS, but all of them require the owners/developers of p1999 to take action. This is apparently not something they are either capable or willing to do. I don't think donating money would make much difference in this situation.

Sadly, there's nothing we can do as players. This is a free service, after all. We shouldn't expect (nor do we rightfully deserve) any results.

Infuriati
07-25-2013, 12:56 AM
I'm going off what the lead GM has said almost verbatim, again please tell me otherwise, so I can pretend I'm not remembering this for whatever reason.

Razdeline
07-25-2013, 12:57 AM
Wasn't it during the Tiggles and Rogean interview where he said he basically didn't give a shit if the server got ddos'd?

Correct me if im wrong please, I couldn't find the interview.

Not true on that part, Rogean said he could care less about the drama(caused by players like Systolic), but he is working on the actual fix via what I have heard from Sirken.

A few people who are technically savvy in the Network Engineering field have posted in another thread about different types of hardware(although expensive) that can completely mitigate this problem.

Infuriati
07-25-2013, 12:59 AM
Well then, I hope that fixing the issue is well on its way, thank you for the heads up.

citizen1080
07-25-2013, 01:01 AM
Just died twice to this...i would love to run into this guy in a dark alley.

And given a concrete number and a posted plan of action from devs i would donate as well.

"It is going to cost us x dollars to impliment y hardware. Once donation goal is reached we will have hardware installed in 2 days" etc

Flamewraith
07-25-2013, 01:02 AM
Yes the staff does not normally come down from mount celestia, but hearing any kind f confirmation would be great, and a large step toward possibly ending this. I'm so fed up with sacrificing two hours out of my game time looking for a rez because some neckbeard wanted to make money from a game.

Flamewraith
07-25-2013, 01:02 AM
Just died twice to this...i would love to run into this guy in a dark alley

Volibear
07-25-2013, 01:03 AM
Willing to donate~

Vega
07-25-2013, 01:03 AM

Infuriati
07-25-2013, 01:04 AM
I just hope the server can come together as a whole in shitty times like this and keep the server going, and well said Bob, can I jump on that bandwagon and stomp the piss out of this fucking guy?

Razdeline
07-25-2013, 01:07 AM
I just hope the server can come together as a whole in shitty times like this and keep the server going, and well said Bob, can I jump on that bandwagon and stomp the piss out of this fucking guy?

People have in the past, a lot of things that make the server what it currently is is due to the community. I am sure people are willing to pitch in to keep the experience alive.

medievalerror
07-25-2013, 01:12 AM

^

Adolphus
07-25-2013, 01:12 AM
If hardware is specified and donations proceed, I'll be counting the seconds before conspiracy theorists accuse server staff of intentionally creating the problems in order to solicit money.

Not saying that the community shouldn't try and do something - but perhaps this is one of Rogean and Co's perceived limitations to resolving the issue. Otherwise, why haven't they asked for help yet?

Razdeline
07-25-2013, 01:15 AM
If hardware is specified and donations proceed, I'll be counting the seconds before conspiracy theorists accuse server staff of intentionally creating the problems in order to solicit money.

Not saying that the community shouldn't try and do something - but perhaps this is one of Rogean and Co's perceived limitations to resolving the issue. Otherwise, why haven't they asked for help yet?

They cant "Ask for Help", there is a legal stipulation with that concerning SOE. They can however receive donations without asking, hence there being a non-provocative donate button on the P99 home screen for the website.

Flamewraith
07-25-2013, 01:15 AM

I'm not saying I believe that theory at all, but at this point I don't give a shit. I just want to relax and play some eq, not pull my hair out every time I realize I can't cast a spell in the middle of a fight.

Adolphus
07-25-2013, 01:19 AM
They cant "Ask for Help", there is a legal stipulation with that concerning SOE. They can however receive donations without asking, hence there being a non-provocative donate button on the P99 home screen for the website.

If they can't ask for help, then the entire point of this thread is moot. Without a specific goal/hardware and updates on the progress, I highly doubt anything will happen.

Unless people are proposing blindly donating and "hoping" it goes to resolve the DDOS. In that case, knock yourselves out.

Razdeline
07-25-2013, 01:26 AM
If they can't ask for help, then the entire point of this thread is moot. Without a specific goal/hardware and updates on the progress, I highly doubt anything will happen.

Unless people are proposing blindly donating and "hoping" it goes to resolve the DDOS. In that case, knock yourselves out.

There are other methods of suggestion in relation to what would be needed. Lets hope we hear back in some form~

Bundie
07-25-2013, 01:26 AM
"It is going to cost us x dollars to impliment y hardware. Once donation goal is reached we will have hardware installed in 2 days" etc

+1 I would throw money at this.

kylok
07-25-2013, 01:27 AM
Can someone with some know how post a link to hardware that would fix the issue (with a price tag on it of course)?

Negativ
07-25-2013, 01:28 AM
Can someone with some know how post a link to hardware that would fix the issue (with a price tag on it of course)?

What if we bought the equipment with donated money, and then donated the equipment?

citizen1080
07-25-2013, 01:36 AM
i dont know that I would wanna donate my money to a random interweb stranger in hopes he actually buys the hardware we need..and not some hookers.

kylok
07-25-2013, 01:39 AM
Agreed Bob - I'm personally just curious as to what this magic number is to prevent future ddos.

Razdeline
07-25-2013, 01:40 AM

Anyone out there have experience in this that has a clue of what it would take?

citizen1080
07-25-2013, 01:55 AM
Lol...fixed the ddos for you all. Apparently the douche bag didnt like my dark ally comment. Ddos pointed at me currently. Can't bring up any web pages on my network.

kylok
07-25-2013, 02:02 AM
Thanks? Bob for fixing the ddos! lol

Swish
07-25-2013, 02:17 AM

WTB dark brotherhood contract on him

Razdeline
07-25-2013, 02:21 AM
Bob champion of the community

slow2
07-25-2013, 02:29 AM
ddos fixed? Still borked here.

Faerie
07-25-2013, 03:09 AM
I'm just one person, but I'm never going to donate because a GM attacked my previous forum account over a post I made in RnF.

Probably the wrong thread to bring this up in, but I'm drunk so w/e :P

Turp_SmokinPurp
07-25-2013, 03:17 AM
For sure
hopefully not this^

Yea fuck the guy or guys behind it. I know this damn server has plenty of hackers/oldschools that could track the culprit down and send them a "email". Get it!

Without a specific goal/hardware and updates on the progress, I highly doubt anything will happen. If they are not aloud to ask for money for a specific item will someone at least post some links to hardware that would help like a newegg post so can see the price. Than the community could take over the rest.

**So Sirken commented on this on his stream, and from what i got money cannot fix the problem. He explained it alot better and hopefully will comment those thoughts on this post to clear everything up / take the time to make it sound better than me.

Clark
07-25-2013, 05:37 AM

Furinex
07-25-2013, 07:08 AM
I donated on day 1. I would donate again. I can actually provide a link to some hardware I've used in the past for a client experiencing ddos attacks. Imma dig it up brb.

Furinex
07-25-2013, 07:11 AM
Some layer solutions:

Cisco Guard
Juniper NetScreen
RioRey Solution
TopLayer

Gwence
07-25-2013, 07:27 AM
last time this happened a player dropped around $8k out of pocket to save everyone's fun

oh btw his toons are all permabanned now

WHERES THAT DONATE LINK??????

hyper50
07-25-2013, 08:13 AM
I'm just one person, but I'm never going to donate because a GM attacked my previous forum account over a post I made in RnF.

Probably the wrong thread to bring this up in, but I'm drunk so w/e :P

Well if you continually post while drunk, things like that tend to happen = P

I for one would definitely be willing to donate what I can in order to end the DDoS attacks. I've paid $10-$15 a month off and on for almost 15 years now, so putting some money towards my current addiction would be no issue as long as it actually helped resolved the problem. Would love to hear from one of the GM's and what the target amount would be and that our donations would actually go toward the protection. I love old school EQ, but the DDoS when it strikes takes all the fun out of it.

Razdeline
07-25-2013, 11:51 AM
last time this happened a player dropped around $8k out of pocket to save everyone's fun

oh btw his toons are all permabanned now

WHERES THAT DONATE LINK??????

This is true, Hodor :(

halfofalmost
07-25-2013, 12:03 PM
i dont know that I would wanna donate my money to a random interweb stranger in hopes he actually buys the hardware we need..and not some hookers.

I'm actually ok if the devs treated themselves to a hooker or two IN ADDITION to the required hardware to combat the issue. They deserve a treat for putting all this together in the first place.

Razdeline
07-25-2013, 12:16 PM
Agreed, they deserve hookers, new hardware, and blow to snort off the shiny new equipment

Razdeline
07-25-2013, 12:39 PM
Now im getting ddos'd... The only person I talked shit about was toop in this whole thing-- wonder who it is?

rookus
07-25-2013, 12:55 PM
Fortune smiles: I happen to know where Toop resides and plays EQ. Phone number I've still been working on but nevertheless. If this service interruption/duping/whatever shit don't stop soon, I'm ready to commit a few felonies - guilty or not.

Let's not make this unpleasant.

Razdeline
07-25-2013, 02:17 PM
Fortune smiles: I happen to know where Toop resides and plays EQ. Phone number I've still been working on but nevertheless. If this service interruption/duping/whatever shit don't stop soon, I'm ready to commit a few felonies - guilty or not.

wow

1203jjt
07-25-2013, 03:06 PM

Shit just got real. :eek:

citizen1080
07-25-2013, 03:07 PM
The good news is the ddos should be pointed at rookus now =)

Tiddlywinks
07-25-2013, 03:08 PM
Goodnight sweet prince.

Turp_SmokinPurp
07-25-2013, 03:42 PM
Sirken commented on his stream that Money really cannot solve the problem. He can explain it better than me.

SOOO why not use our money for something else, if the GM Ephi is down? example being...
If Ephi is serious about banning the RMT, is it possible he would let the community help out. An example being Platlord saling @ Platlord.com and community member A goes to the site, sets up an order and gets some plat,any amount.
He is working with GM Ephi so he tells him and if the character has enough plat say 250k+??* ban it.
and, If he is willing to do this, will he keep repeating this type of process Because **...
There is no way they could stay in business if this was done.
Player Sting Operation 101. Would take down the best of the best Chinese farmers.
If the ACTUAL players of p99 act like they want to buy, than the salers sell, and can get caught VERY EASILY.

**If he is open to this idea, you could reward illusion potions or something to the confidential informant or any reward you choose and you will get more players to join in and offer there IP to get the "platlord".

What does the community think the amount of plat the character should have before engage the ban, i said 250k+ would be a significant hit , unless these Platlords have a dupe or exploit. If the character has under the set amount use the Community member A to buy more plat (let him know how much to break that character) and find the next account etc.

If you do not want to take them down ,Than can we forget RMT and hacks, and everyone focus on Velious or something else ffs. Thanks.

lecompte
07-25-2013, 03:42 PM
Dunno if anyone said this but... put your money where you mouth is guys. I give regularly. I assign a dollar value to my entertainment and this game gives me entertainment at less than 10 cents per hour; thats pretty fuckin' rocking.

And in regards to Turp's suggestion; Ephi can (and likely does) the same with money donated to the server.

Hateplow
07-25-2013, 06:44 PM
Why wouldn't Platlord be then number 1 benefactor to the server? Makes sense to me that if the DDoSer's kill the server, he's outta business.

There's something else going on behind the scenes we don't know about.

Amuck
07-25-2013, 08:09 PM
I am accepting donations at this time for blow and hookers ty

Lord Traxor
07-25-2013, 08:27 PM
Perhaps we could all contribute $14.99 a month to plat.

Or perhaps go classic with the prices too, $9.99 was it?

:D

Clark
07-25-2013, 08:33 PM

right there with you, pm me his info hopefully he lives nearby

Nirgon
07-26-2013, 10:53 AM
Why wouldn't Platlord be then number 1 benefactor to the server? Makes sense to me that if the DDoSer's kill the server, he's outta business.

There's something else going on behind the scenes we don't know about.

Try losing 23 million plat and a few pre nerf fungi staves and making a come back.

Go ahead, I'll wait!

lawll
07-26-2013, 10:55 AM
Try losing 23 million plat and a few pre nerf fungi staves and making a come back.

Go ahead, I'll wait!

Easy just dos the server and dupe some plat then buy it all back to dupe some more.

Hateplow
07-26-2013, 01:55 PM

Go ahead, I'll wait!

Well. I said that assuming his business is still at a profit, he'd want to keep the server up and going.

Hawala
07-26-2013, 01:55 PM
I'll donate a few hundred here, or more. I love this game.

Tell me how, I want to make sure it goes to Rogean.

Edit: I would like to see the actual EQ server located at a different (hidden) IP from the website, to at least partially hide it from the DDoS kiddies.

http://i.minus.com/ibfDNDXB6eJ6PG.gif

iRFNA
07-26-2013, 03:24 PM

http://www.project1999.org/index.php?pageid=donations

This is the donations link on the P99 site.

salimoneus
07-26-2013, 03:45 PM

Go to the official site http://www.project1999.org/ and hit the Donate button on the right.

Edit: I would like to see the actual EQ server located at a different (hidden) IP from the website, to at least partially hide it from the DDoS kiddies.

That wouldn't be worth the effort, you can't really obtain security through obscurity. It would still be trivial to discover the server info.

Genedin
07-26-2013, 03:54 PM
So, what I haven't seen mentioned is how DDoS prevention works.

Basically, you have to get a few devices to put in front of your server. One of the most expensive and important devices is going to be an IDS or intrusion detection system. What this device does is learns what normal traffic is like, where it comes from, and how it functions.

After a while, this device will automatically be able to detect and stop a DDoS attack as it is happening as it is relatively easy to detect the difference in one-thousand players logging in a different times and 100,000 bots attempting to access the server at once.

This is a very simplified explanation.

The Problem
It can take a month or more for DDoS prevention to work. It takes time for the devices to learn and log normal traffic in order to effectively block an attack. So even if they put something up today, it wouldn't magically fix things.

Now normally, DDoS attacks originate overseas. They could simply block any non-US IP range and stop a lot of the attack...depending on the level of DDoS this is... but that would hardly be fair right....

This is just some general insight. I have no idea the facts surrounding the actual attack so this may be inaccurate for this instance, but I thought I'd give the layman a general understanding of why they cant just throw money at this.

Korpskugga
07-26-2013, 04:27 PM
Wonder how much of the lag has been cause of the disk's failing.
When the first Disk failed, system was working in a degraded state.=LAG
When the second Disk failed system went down...guess there was no hotspare

And the last week or so the "early lag" hasn't been during the times when the US based DDos attacks usaly starts... (if it wasn't US based why start the lagg when most none US players have shutdown their computers, a efficient DDos attack uses as many clients as possible, makes no sense to schedule it when you know they be very few clients active to help with the attacks..just saying..)